• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Module] aptx (HD) for Android 11/10/9/8 LineageOS 18.1

Does this still work on Oreo or Pie for you (arm64 devices!)

• Yes

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • walnuts are dangerous animals

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

juniordnz

Sep 20, 2019
Any help? Can't get this to work on LOS 18.1. Recently updated my Galxy S6 from 17.1 (where this module worked perfectly) to 18.1 and now I can't get audio from the phone to my MPOW earbuds.

The selection for aptx stays grayed out and sound comes out from phone speaker, even if I select the earbuds. Strange thing is all the earbuds commands work fine, I can play, pause, everything, just the sound that keeps coming from the phone.

d526d97e-7471-4ed2-b117-56090d2d9a7a.png

Any help? Can't get this to work on LOS 18.1. Recently updated my Galxy S6 from 17.1 (where this module worked perfectly) to 18.1 and now I can't get audio from the phone to my MPOW earbuds.

The selection for aptx stays grayed out and sound comes out from phone speaker, even if I select the earbuds. Strange thing is all the earbuds commands work fine, I can play, pause, everything, just the sound that keeps coming from the phone.

View attachment 5361319
Hi,
even since it's greyed out, it's still using aptx.
For some odd reason it's just not showing correctly in pairing menu and in dev settings.
It's an issue with android 11 and i'm not quite sure what's causing this.
But my heaphones always report aptx-HD to be active and according to the currently used sampling rate in dev settings, it shows 48khz to be currently used, which corresponds to aptx-HD (not sure about non HD aptx though)

About your issue with the playback, well try to go to your settings > sound > playback device and make sure, your earbuds are actually in use.
If this is the case, well does bluetooth audio streaming actually work without the magisk module?

If you upgraded from 17.1 to 18.1 without a full wipe, i'd recommend first unpairing and repairing your earbuds.
If that doesn't help, make a backup through twrp and do a clean install of 18.1

Hope this helps.
photo5436132247213292082.jpgphoto5436132247213292083.jpg

juniordnz

Sep 20, 2019
Hi,
even since it's greyed out, it's still using aptx.
For some odd reason it's just not showing correctly in pairing menu and in dev settings.
It's an issue with android 11 and i'm not quite sure what's causing this.
But my heaphones always report aptx-HD to be active and according to the currently used sampling rate in dev settings, it shows 48khz to be currently used, which corresponds to aptx-HD (not sure about non HD aptx though)

About your issue with the playback, well try to go to your settings > sound > playback device and make sure, your earbuds are actually in use.
If this is the case, well does bluetooth audio streaming actually work without the magisk module?

If you upgraded from 17.1 to 18.1 without a full wipe, i'd recommend first unpairing and repairing your earbuds.
If that doesn't help, make a backup through twrp and do a clean install of 18.1

Hope this helps.
View attachment 5361323View attachment 5361325
Hi, thanks very much for the fast reply.

Unfortunately, I already did everything you suggested:
1. Earbuds are connect correctly, I can even play/pause/skip songs with it, it's just the sound that's not coming through.
2. I did a full wipe before going from 17.1 to 18.1, so I guess that's not the case either.
3. When I go to sound settings, I have the option of my earbuds and speaker. Even when I select the earbuds the sound keeps coming from the speaker.

Your module was a godsend on 17.1, I was about to quit LOS when I found it. I'm so frustrated now because this 18.1 build I'm using feels so smooth, works perfectly. But I just can't get any sound to my bluetooth earbuds...

Is there any prop that can be changed manually maybe? Anything else?

HD Audio and Disable A2DP are also greyed out, as my print below shows. All this features used to work on 17.1

6123bfca-5250-468b-acaa-2235dd2f255e.jpg

Hi, thanks very much for the fast reply.

Unfortunately, I already did everything you suggested:
1. Earbuds are connect correctly, I can even play/pause/skip songs with it, it's just the sound that's not coming through.
2. I did a full wipe before going from 17.1 to 18.1, so I guess that's not the case either.
3. When I go to sound settings, I have the option of my earbuds and speaker. Even when I select the earbuds the sound keeps coming from the speaker.

Your module was a godsend on 17.1, I was about to quit LOS when I found it. I'm so frustrated now because this 18.1 build I'm using feels so smooth, works perfectly. But I just can't get any sound to my bluetooth earbuds...

Is there any prop that can be changed manually maybe? Anything else?

HD Audio and Disable A2DP are also greyed out, as my print below shows. All this features used to work on 17.1

View attachment 5361337
hmm so what happens if you remove the aptx module and reboot?
Does it play audio then?

juniordnz

Sep 20, 2019
hmm so what happens if you remove the aptx module and reboot?
Does it play audio then?

It doesn't. Without the module it autoselects AAC and keeps playing through speaker rather than the earphone.

So the module seems to have some effect, because without it it won't default to aptX. But it keeps grayed out and doesn't send sound through the bluetooth connection.

Already tried your module and the one avaiable on magisk repo. Tried installing through TWRP and magisk. No success either way...

It doesn't. Without the module it autoselects AAC and keeps playing through speaker rather than the earphone.

So the module seems to have some effect, because without it it won't default to aptX. But it keeps grayed out and doesn't send sound through the bluetooth connection.

Already tried your module and the one avaiable on magisk repo. Tried installing through TWRP and magisk. No success either way...
Well this sounds more like there´s something broken in your rom itself.
aptx is working and selected for you but if there´s no audio from your earbuds even after removing aptx module, then it´s 99% an bluetooth stack issue in your ROM.
So maybe you can upgrade/downgrade your weekly build?
Otherwise you have to open a bugreport to lineageos on gitlab, unfortunately.

Or try another R based rom like Resourrection Remix, AICP etc.

I had such an issue with a CM10 build for a Sony Xperia Miro (very old device) and it was fixed after correcting something in mixer_paths.xml.

I don´t recommend messing around with this file but it´s possible there´s something configured wrong so the OS doesn´t route audio to a bluetooth device.
Maybe you can replace the file from the 17.1 builds and see if this helps. (backup the original file first, if something goes wrong, there´s no audio at all)
It´s usually placed in /system/vendor/etc/ alongside some other audio related config files.

juniordnz

Sep 20, 2019
Well this sounds more like there´s something broken in your rom itself.
aptx is working and selected for you but if there´s no audio from your earbuds even after removing aptx module, then it´s 99% an bluetooth stack issue in your ROM.
So maybe you can upgrade/downgrade your weekly build?
Otherwise you have to open a bugreport to lineageos on gitlab, unfortunately.

Or try another R based rom like Resourrection Remix, AICP etc.

I had such an issue with a CM10 build for a Sony Xperia Miro (very old device) and it was fixed after correcting something in mixer_paths.xml.

I don´t recommend messing around with this file but it´s possible there´s something configured wrong so the OS doesn´t route audio to a bluetooth device.
Maybe you can replace the file from the 17.1 builds and see if this helps. (backup the original file first, if something goes wrong, there´s no audio at all)
It´s usually placed in /system/vendor/etc/ alongside some other audio related config files.

Yeah, i just gave up and went back to 17.1.

It seems to me that 17.1 is much more polished in this stage than 18.1. Recent builds don't even need the aptx module anymore, everything works out of the box. Maybe I'll give 18.1 another try later down the road...

Thanks a lot for the help, your module is awesome and I'll keep recomending it as I do!

Yeah, i just gave up and went back to 17.1.

It seems to me that 17.1 is much more polished in this stage than 18.1. Recent builds don't even need the aptx module anymore, everything works out of the box. Maybe I'll give 18.1 another try later down the road...

Thanks a lot for the help, your module is awesome and I'll keep recomending it as I do!
You're welcome :)

is this only for lineage? I have a Lenovo tablet with a rooted stock rom... would it work?
It´s only tested on lineage builds by myself but it is supposed to work on other AOSP based ROMs aswell.
A few people reported it to be working on their stock ROMs and in fact since android 8.0, android supports aptx(hd) natively unless the OEM has built in restrictions or uses a highly customized bluetooth stack.

I suggest you to just try it out and report back.
The worst thing that may happen is your bluetooth keeps crashing until you remove the module and reboot.

But ofc you need magisk root for this to work (or manually place the lib files in their respective DIRs)

phaze3131

Feb 11, 2010
I have been at this for a few days.

I'm running lineageos 18.1 on my Galaxy s10 exynos g973F/DS and I am not able to control the volume on my car stereo.

When this same device was stock android 10 everything worked perfect.

Is there a possible fix if I am rooted?

Thanks for any help

ctakah27

Oct 20, 2010
NYC
It´s only tested on lineage builds by myself but it is supposed to work on other AOSP based ROMs aswell.
A few people reported it to be working on their stock ROMs and in fact since android 8.0, android supports aptx(hd) natively unless the OEM has built in restrictions or uses a highly customized bluetooth stack.

I suggest you to just try it out and report back.
The worst thing that may happen is your bluetooth keeps crashing until you remove the module and reboot.

But ofc you need magisk root for this to work (or manually place the lib files in their respective DIRs)
It works but I'm only getting aptX (no HD). Receiver device definitely supports it and I use it with HD from another phone that came with HD support out of the box. But better than nothing, thanks!
(Lenovo Yoga Smart tab stock 10 rom rooted with magisk)

I have been at this for a few days.

I'm running lineageos 18.1 on my Galaxy s10 exynos g973F/DS and I am not able to control the volume on my car stereo.

When this same device was stock android 10 everything worked perfect.

Is there a possible fix if I am rooted?

Thanks for any help
Hi, not sure did this issue occur after flashing this module?
Otherwise i assume it´s an issue with your ROM and therefore not much i can help you with.
You can open a bugreport on gitlab if galaxy s10 runs official lineageos (downloaded from lineageos.org) otherwise you can report the issue in the xda thread where you found your ROM.
It works but I'm only getting aptX (no HD). Receiver device definitely supports it and I use it with HD from another phone that came with HD support out of the box. But better than nothing, thanks!
(Lenovo Yoga Smart tab stock 10 rom rooted with magisk)
Hmm very strange.
Well it should work but it´s possible the handshake between your phone and headphones don´t work properly so it uses "only" aptx.
Otherwise anything that has at least bluetooth 4.0 usually works fine with aptx-HD.
You could try another ROM, since your stock ROM isn´t designed to support aptx at all, maybe they removed some routines that would load the aptx-HD libs.
Hi sir, thanks for the module, there is a way to verify if the module is working, I dont have my buds here right now. I was looking in dev setting but the aptx option is grey out.

Thanks again.
The options in dev settings are kinda weird:
When no device is connected, everything is grayed out.
Since android 11 it´s greyed out aswell after connecting a device, but you´ll see aptx-HD is selected and active.
It´s an android 11 bug, it also occurs on my device which comes with aptx out of the box.
Also the "HD Audio" toggle sometimes is missing in the bluetooth settings.
So it´s not that easy to verify it´s working.
But fortunately my headphones have a voice announcement telling me if either aptx or aptx-HD is in use so it´s definitely working here even if greyed out.
Also it seems like this got fixed recently in a newer release tag of android 11 (the release tags that also bring you the security patches)

Hope this helps :)

Hi, not sure did this issue occur after flashing this module?
Otherwise i assume it´s an issue with your ROM and therefore not much i can help you with.
You can open a bugreport on gitlab if galaxy s10 runs official lineageos (downloaded from lineageos.org) otherwise you can report the issue in the xda thread where you found your ROM.

Hmm very strange.
Well it should work but it´s possible the handshake between your phone and headphones don´t work properly so it uses "only" aptx.
Otherwise anything that has at least bluetooth 4.0 usually works fine with aptx-HD.
You could try another ROM, since your stock ROM isn´t designed to support aptx at all, maybe they removed some routines that would load the aptx-HD libs.

The options in dev settings are kinda weird:
When no device is connected, everything is grayed out.
Since android 11 it´s greyed out aswell after connecting a device, but you´ll see aptx-HD is selected and active.
It´s an android 11 bug, it also occurs on my device which comes with aptx out of the box.
Also the "HD Audio" toggle sometimes is missing in the bluetooth settings.
So it´s not that easy to verify it´s working.
But fortunately my headphones have a voice announcement telling me if either aptx or aptx-HD is in use so it´s definitely working here even if greyed out.
Also it seems like this got fixed recently in a newer release tag of android 11 (the release tags that also bring you the security patches)

Hope this helps :)
Thabk you so much, everything works with my Galaxy Buds Pro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi there,

This is a magisk module compatible with any android device (except x86) running at least android oreo up to latest and greatest Android 11!

It was tested on lineage based roms but should work on all AOSP and some stock roms just fine.
    Changelog, Compatibility list and everything else can be found via the download link below at the github page.

Some users already reported compatibility with some stock ROMs so feel free to let me know if it works or not.
    If i find the time, i´ll update the compatibility list on github.

Note:

Since Android 10, arm64 devices (everything since 2015 will be arm64) needed updated libs which I didn´t test on oreo and pie so it is possible, android oreo and pie in combination with a more recent device will no longer work.
    I didn´t test it so we don´t know until someone is willing to try it out for us!

ARM/armv7 (ooold devices!) will work just fine, the same old libs from oreo still work until android 11.

But now have a great listening experience! ;)

Download here

Credits:
    - topjohnwu for magisk
    - Qualcomm for aptx
    [email protected] for directing me to the right github repo for updated blobs (arm64/android10)

Some Screenshots:
    photo5436132247213292095.jpgphoto5436132247213292093.jpgphoto5436132247213292094.jpg
    This works on my Oneplus 5 (cheeseburger) on "ArrowOS v11.0 | VANILLA" (Android 11)
    I use the module "Bluetooth stack audio bitrate changer for SBC + aptX & aptX-HD enabler" and it works without problems in Android 9 under MIUI 11. But I had upgraded to Android 10 and it stopped working

Try the module i mentioned, it will install all the libs for arm64 and should work.
    I've checked the libs on my oneplus 3t which has aptx hd out of the box and it looks identical to what this module comes with.
    You can find it via magisk manager, search for aptx.

Have a nice day :eek:
    Thank you for your effort. I went back to Android 10 again to test. But I could not make it work, I tried the experimental module that you included here. And it does detect the device as an aptX, but when playing audio it gives an error and the bluetooth fails. I also tried the module that you indicated downloaded from Magisk, but with that module it only detects the device as AAC (as if it were not installed).

Is there a way to manually add the libraries and it works? It does not matter that it is not for a magisk module (that is, it does not matter that it is a little more laborious). Thanks in advance again.

Bad news :(

I've tested various things on my htc m9 including using the weird libs from my oneplus 3t from what i believe was for aptx but none of them seem to work.
    Also the last module you shared comes with various aptx libs in various directories.

The stuff on my oneplus looks like some proprietory stuff and a friend of mine doesn't have any of those files at all (but working aptx in android 10, oneplus6)
    So what i guess, it seems like android 10 needs more low level patches to get aptx to work (at least now?) until someone comes up with "generic libs" like we was using previously.
    Those generic libs do load on my htc m9 but forces bluetooth to crash (same result on yours)

Seems like they're too old and incompatible and i can't find a source for updated libs.

Maybe i can find a way to talk to the lineageos dev for oneplus3 to find out what he did or what i missed.

Seems like armv7 roms/devices handle this much easier, those old libs do still work perfectly.
    Maybe we can get arm64 to use arm 32bit libs but i really don't know how.

Sorry about that, would've been great to fix this but it is a bigger issue as it seems :/
    Doesn't it already have aptx certification on it's own?
    Quite common for high end devices.
    Would that check first.
    Anyways, aptx adaptive, low latency and such is not part of this module.
    Only aptx and aptx-HD will be supported.

Thanks for the reply @multiwirth

From what I am reading unfortunately only aptx but not HD or Adaptive are supported on the S21. Seems they cheaped out on the licensing fees or are trying to push their Galaxy buds. Here is a thread on Samsung's forum if you are interested.

Nevertheless, I will confirm when the device arrives and let the community know

Thanks again