[Module] Custom Systemless Boot Animation

Search This thread

misakstvanu

Oct 29, 2019
Hello!
I had a lot of trouble making my phone show custom boot animation so I put together this. Hopefully I can help you set custom boot animation systemlessly.
Since Magisk 16.4, the boot animation can not be loaded from user data fs, this is the simplest method I'm aware of.

What do you need?
  1. Magisk 18+
  2. Android 5+
  3. Custom bootanimation.zip
  4. This repository (github.com/MCBlesk/Systemless-Boot-Animation)

Steps
  1. Download the Github repository
  2. Replace bootanimation.zip in /system/media/
  3. Zip all files in the repository
  4. Install with Magisk Manager

Not working?
  1. Make sure your bootanimation.zip file is not compressed! (store compression)
  2. Put an empty line after the last instruction in desc.txt
  3. Make sure images are valid PNGs
  4. Refer to googlesource (android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/master/cmds/bootanimation/FORMAT.md)
  5. Try installing the module with provided bootanimation.zip. If it does work, your bootanimation.zip is most probably invalid. If it doesn't, the module probably doesn't work on your device.
  6. Didn't help? Ask! I spent a lot of time messing things up and hopefully have some overview...

Sorry I have links in this format, I can't post external links yet... :(

Warning: If you don't replace the bootanimtion.zip, my stupid face will scare you every time you reboot the phone.

Last edited:

eXtremeDevil

Jun 19, 2012
Seville
OK, now it flashses, but it doesn't work. The zip is attached.

Phone is OP2, latest Magisk, on Resurrection Remix 7.0.2 (Pie 9).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Custom-Systemless-Boot-Animation-master.zip
    10.4 MB · Views: 144

misakstvanu

Oct 29, 2019
The bootanimation.zip is being replaced, but it seems that not fast enough to apply on boot.

Hey again, sorry for the delay. There was a lot going on. I we looked into this on friend's OnePlus2 Lineage16 and everything worked.

I looked into Magic Mount and the boot process again and bootanim service is guaranteed to start AFTER post-fs-data (where Magisk replaces it).

If your /system/media folder doesn't contain bootanimation-encrypted.zip (which has a higher priority and I didn't work around it - not intentionally) I am not sure how to help you. Sorry. :(

eXtremeDevil

Jun 19, 2012
Seville
Sorry for my late response as well. I really appreciate your efforts, but now I have a different phone and although I keep my old OP2, this issue is not worth it anymore.

Thanks again!

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone