• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Module] F-Droid Privileged Extension

Search This thread

DoR3M3

Feb 17, 2018
Portwenn
I find this method of installing the F-Droid Privileged Extension works very easy, but is there any Pros or Cons to doing it through Magisk, instead of installing manually?

I installed F-Droid, but then not paying attention I installed the privileged extension, as a apk, which isn't suppored on Oreo, instead you're suppose to flash the org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged.ota_2070.zip. So I don't know if this caused problems, but I went in F-Droid and uninstalled the privileged extension, then booted in TWRP and flashed org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged.ota_2070.zip, but it didn't show the option in the F-Droid settings.

No Offense to this Magisk Module, this is great, and thanks, but I'd like to figure out how to do the manual way if anyone can help?

Thanks

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
I find this method of installing the F-Droid Privileged Extension works very easy, but is there any Pros or Cons to doing it through Magisk, instead of installing manually?

I installed F-Droid, but then not paying attention I installed the privileged extension, as a apk, which isn't suppored on Oreo, instead you're suppose to flash the org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged.ota_2070.zip. So I don't know if this caused problems, but I went in F-Droid and uninstalled the privileged extension, then booted in TWRP and flashed org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged.ota_2070.zip, but it didn't show the option in the F-Droid settings.

No Offense to this Magisk Module, this is great, and thanks, but I'd like to figure out how to do the manual way if anyone can help?

Thanks

Benefit of installing via Magisk is that you retain Safetynet. Generally, writing to /system breaks Safetynet and since Magisk is systemless you can essentially add things to system without actually touching it. Also, as far as I know there is no manual way to install the Privileged Extension, you either flash the official OTA zip like you did, or you flash my Magisk module.

DoR3M3

Feb 17, 2018
Portwenn
Benefit of installing via Magisk is that you retain Safetynet. Generally, writing to /system breaks Safetynet and since Magisk is systemless you can essentially add things to system without actually touching it. Also, as far as I know there is no manual way to install the Privileged Extension, you either flash the official OTA zip like you did, or you flash my Magisk module.

I knew about the Systemless part, didn't know SafetyNet had anything to do with, unless you mean breaking the /system part, this I knew...

Thanks

muralimsir

Jul 4, 2017
Hyderabad
Hi. Is it necessary to uninstall the normally installed F-Droid before doing this one through Magisk? LG V30+, Stock Orio.8. TWRP and Magisk.

notstevek

Apr 15, 2011
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Hi. Is it necessary to uninstall the normally installed F-Droid before doing this one through Magisk? LG V30+, Stock Orio.8. TWRP and Magisk.
No, this just gives f-droid the ability to work as a system application, as if it were google play, install/update without prompts, automatically. It's not a different version of f-droid, its just an extension, hence the title "f-droid privileged extension". You need f-droid installed, then install this module. Make sure to disable auto updating in f-droid settings like the OP says. This extension does that.

Reactions: muralimsir

muralimsir

Jul 4, 2017
Hyderabad
No, this just gives f-droid the ability to work as a system application, as if it were google play, install/update without prompts, automatically. It's not a different version of f-droid, its just an extension, hence the title "f-droid privileged extension". You need f-droid installed, then install this module. Make sure to disable auto updating in f-droid settings like the OP says. This extension does that.
Neatly explained. Regards.

Reactions: notstevek

the-moose

Dec 20, 2018
How to install F-Droid Priviledged Extension without Magisk

Also, as far as I know there is no manual way to install the Privileged Extension, you either flash the official OTA zip like you did, or you flash my Magisk module.

Thank you very much for your work, Ryan. Here is how I managed to install it manually, although I needed a little Magisk-related cheat to do so. I have 2 phones: Xperia Z3+ with Magisk (where this installed appropriately), and Galaxy S2 which runs without GApps. As a result of this, this phone does not have Magisk as it does not install in a Google-less system. However, both of them run Lineage OS version 14.1. Therefore to make this happen, I first extracted Fdroid.apk from /system/priv-app/ in the Xperia:
Code:
$ adb root
$ adb remount
$ adb pull /system/priv-app/Fdroid.apk

Thereafter, I connected the Galaxy without Magisk and pushed this file into the same location of this phone:
Code:
$ adb root
$ adb remount
$ adb push Fdroid.apk /system/priv-app/
$ adb shell chmod 644 /system/priv-app/Fdroid.apk
$ adb reboot

... and it works just fine. :victory:

If for some reason, a person wants to remove this as the system app, run the following code:
Code:
$ adb root
$ adb remount
$ adb shell rm -f /system/priv-app/Fdroid.apk
$ adb reboot

I am happy to share this priv-app apk with others, if they wish, unless they wish to download the original version directly from the author's GitHub page or the F-Droid repository. Ensure that you rename the file to Fdroid.apk before you do so. The apk can be found here (remove spaces):
https : //f-droid . org/repo/org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged_2080.apk

Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Galaxy S2 which runs without GApps. As a result of this, this phone does not have Magisk as it does not install in a Google-less system.

Off topic, but this statement caught my attention. What do you mean? Magisk does not require you to have Gapps installed (or am I misunderstanding you?)...

the-moose

Dec 20, 2018
Off topic, but this statement caught my attention. What do you mean? Magisk does not require you to have Gapps installed (or am I misunderstanding you?)...
That's a good observation. I tried a lot, but neither Magisk nor SuperSU would install on Lineage OS without GApps. I believe that this could be because of Google dependencies built into both of them. Lineage's own SU add-on is the only one that works for such a system. Therefore, in the absence of Google Play, F-Droid becomes the most important application and it becomes necessary to install this privileged extension. I found this extraction of the apk and direct installation into /system/priv-app/ to be the easiest method to do so. The system behaves exactly like Replicant now.

Reactions: Harsh raj sah

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
That's a good observation. I tried a lot, but neither Magisk nor SuperSU would install on Lineage OS without GApps. I believe that this could be because of Google dependencies built into both of them. Lineage's own SU add-on is the only one that works for such a system. Therefore, in the absence of Google Play, F-Droid becomes the most important application and it becomes necessary to install this privileged extension. I found this extraction of the apk and direct installation into /system/priv-app/ to be the easiest method to do so. The system behaves exactly like Replicant now.

I still don't know what you're talking about... There are absolutely no Google dependencies in either Magisk or, as far as I know (since I've not been involved at all in the development of it), SuperSU.

Last edited:

the-moose

Dec 20, 2018
I still don't know what you're talking about... There are absolutely no Google dependencies in either Magisk or SuperSU.

My bad. As i said, it was speculation. Perhaps the install was corrupted, but neither Magisk nor SuperSU could be installed even after multiple attempts with various Lineage OS nightlies. So I certainly do not know why this would behave this way. That was the only conclusion that made sense to me, which I now know was incorrect. Thank you for the clarification. In any case, my manual installation method on a Magisk-less and GApps-less system (described on page 9) works, which is a relief.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2013
I am using F-Droid 1.5.1, Magisk 18.0, and the version of 2018-09-02 of the Privileged Extension module. When I install or update apps in F-Droid, the package downloads fine, but gets stuck with "Installing AppX..." It used to work fine on my phone. It *could* be broken since I upgraded from Magisk 17.0. Is this app compatible with Magisk 18.0? If yes, any idea about what else I could try?

LinuxPanda

May 24, 2017
India
New version of privileged app is available. Request you to update the module. Thanks. :)

I am using F-Droid 1.5.1, Magisk 18.0, and the version of 2018-09-02 of the Privileged Extension module. When I install or update apps in F-Droid, the package downloads fine, but gets stuck with "Installing AppX..." It used to work fine on my phone. It *could* be broken since I upgraded from Magisk 17.0. Is this app compatible with Magisk 18.0? If yes, any idea about what else I could try?
I'm using it with magisk 18 and it works fine.

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013
I have a question about F-Droid Privileged Extension Magisk module

It work perfectly in all other roms on my Mi Max 3 but not on xiaomi.eu, I get error code "Error -110: The system failed to install the package because of system issues."

If I go to settings and de-select Privileged Extension under Expert mode I can install the app with F-droid but not if this is enabled

If logs are needed I can replicate the error and send logs

This seems to be already discussed earlier but no solution was contributed

https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroidclient/issues/1283

Klizi

Mar 31, 2018
How to solve this error 110 problem? It only soccer whenever i turn on the privileged extension option from settings in f-droid.

This is what I did.
1 Wipe All partitions including data.
2 Clean flash MIUI rom followed by magisk
3 install F-Droid apk
4. turned on this magisk module (f-droid privileged)
5. reboot
installed an app from f-droid. failed and gives 110 error.

unchecked privileged extension from f-droid settings. Installed an app from f-droid again, succeed.
UdjI6Sl.png

TE1pFpr.png

Device: Redmi note 7 (Lavender). Rom Global miui for RN7 (Lavender)

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

I have a question about F-Droid Privileged Extension Magisk module

It work perfectly in all other roms on my Mi Max 3 but not on xiaomi.eu, I get error code "Error -110: The system failed to install the package because of system issues."

If I go to settings and de-select Privileged Extension under Expert mode I can install the app with F-droid but not if this is enabled

If logs are needed I can replicate the error and send logs

This seems to be already discussed earlier but no solution was contributed

https://gitlab.com/fdroid/fdroidclient/issues/1283

Facing the same issue. I think Privileged extension doesn't get the root permission. I dont know how to fix it. Maybe we should report this to F-Droid project on gitlab.com by creating an issues?

Because I tried flashing privileged zip via TWRP too. same effect.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WA4LBkF.png
    I decided to continue @PunchyStick's Magisk module and keep it updated as F-Droid releases updates. You can generally expect updates the day after if not the day of F-Droid updating the extension.

What to know:
    -Please make sure you're running at least F-Droid 0.103
    -Disable auto app updates from within F-Droid. F-Droid Privileged Extension will automatically update and succeed, and I don't know how this will affect SafetyNet and/or the Magisk Module. (This is because the extension doesn't update like a normal app by placing updates in the data partition, it overwrites the apk in system directly).

Changelog:
    v1
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.1
    - Based directly on PunchyStick's extension

v2
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2

v3
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2.2

v4
    - First public release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2.3

v5
    -If you installed the zip on the XDA thread, please remove that module before installing this version.
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.4

v6
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.5
    -Please update F-Droid to version 0.103 if you have not already.

v7
    -Updated to template 4

v8
    -Update to template 1400
    -Please update to Magisk 14.0 if you have not already

v9
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.6

v10
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.7
    -Template 1410
    -Only install this if you are on Magisk 14.1, a zip for Magisk 14.0 can be found attached.
    I removed the module zip from this thread as it is obsolete and my module is in the Magisk Module Repo now (and thus can be installed via Magisk). Also, as per the changelog, if you installed the zip on this thread please uninstall that module before upgrading to v5.
    I thought so, becuase otherwise it would not make any sense :)

The reason I asked you to use that module to place an app in /system/priv-app is that some devices [when running stock] do not like things being placed in that directory, and with Magisk it is just as if that app is actually in that directory even though it really isn't so the device will react just how it would if you actually placed it on the system partition for real. Some devices can just have really odd glitches too, for example I have an LG-K330 from a friend, and some Magisk modules that work just fine on my other devices cause it to lose its IMEI (it is not actually gone, but the OS does not see that there is one and it will refuse to connect to a mobile network), and it causes really odd battery issues too.