[Module] F-Droid Privileged Extension

Search This thread

gudenau

Apr 19, 2014
www.gudenau.net
If you have a Pixel XL I'd recommend updating to the 14.2 beta. Just make sure you do a clean install first (reflash your ROM or uninstall Magisk) or you will fail safety net. I have a Pixel XL too hence why I went ahead and updated the module to the new template (for the AB support).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

Why would I need to reinstall Magisk 14.2 exactly? The only broken thing is this module.

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
Why would I need to reinstall Magisk 14.2 exactly? The only broken thing is this module.

If you flash Magisk 14.x over a previous installation you will fail safety net no matter what. Also the module is not broken and it's working perfectly fine on my Pixel XL, and the other version for v14 is working on my Nexus 7, 4 and my LG K7.

Sent from my Google Pixel XL using XDA Labs

Last edited:

gudenau

Apr 19, 2014
www.gudenau.net
If you flash Magisk 14.x over a previous installation you will fail safety net no matter what. Also the module is not broken and it's working perfectly fine on my Pixel XL, and the other version for v14 is working on my Nexus 7, 4 and my LG K7.

I have no idea what's wrong with it then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171007-113543.png
    Screenshot_20171007-113543.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 603
  • Screenshot_20171007-113730.jpg
    Screenshot_20171007-113730.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 572
  • Screenshot_20171007-113813.png
    Screenshot_20171007-113813.png
    201.4 KB · Views: 595
  • Screenshot_20171007-113837.png
    Screenshot_20171007-113837.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 572

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
I have no idea what's wrong with it then.

That is odd and I am not on Oreo so I can't test, perhaps it could be a bug with the Privileged Extension itself. 0.2.7 is the first version to have Oreo support so bugs are likely. The only other thing I can think of is in Android Oreo a new feature was added where apps have to be granted a special permission to be able to install apks. Try going into Settings > Apps > Privileged Extension and granting that permission manually. I know apps in the priv-apps folder should have such permissions already, but it's worth a shot and might serve as a workaround until the extensions Oreo support improves.

gudenau

Apr 19, 2014
www.gudenau.net
That is odd and I am not on Oreo so I can't test, perhaps it could be a bug with the Privileged Extension itself. 0.2.7 is the first version to have Oreo support so bugs are likely. The only other thing I can think of is in Android Oreo a new feature was added where apps have to be granted a special permission to be able to install apks. Try going into Settings > Apps > Privileged Extension and granting that permission manually. I know apps in the priv-apps folder should have such permissions already, but it's worth a shot and might serve as a workaround until the extensions Oreo support improves.

It's because system apps need additional files that explicitly grant them permissions. You can't just throw something into system apps anymore.

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
It's because system apps need additional files that explicitly grant them permissions. You can't just throw something into system apps anymore.

Then you might want to bring that up with the F-Droid team because as of now they only provide the apk itself. If you do give me the link to the report and I'll add my bit in a comment.

When I get home from class, I'll look into their flashable zip to see if they've added anything special to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: noobens

yochananmarqos

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2013
github.com
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 8

See my Privileged Permission Whitelist module for Oreo. It has support for this module.

yochananmarqos

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2013
github.com
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 8
Nothing to it at all, does add a minor annoyance to adding apps to the privileged app directory though. Perhaps the permissions could be extrapolated and the xml files generated automatically somehow.
@veez21 figured out how to do it automatically with his Terminal App Systemizer, but for some reason apps weren't being granted the permissions on my 5X. We never did quite figure out why.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using XDA Labs

im-pulze

Feb 7, 2012
Having problems installing the newest update.
It tells me to install Magisk 15+ even if it's installed (Yes - I didn't forget to reboot after the Magisk Update ;) )

notstevek

Apr 15, 2011
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I'm running into a weird error when using this. When I reboot it gets stuck at the white Google logo like a semi-brick, forcing it off and booting into recovery, then clearing davlik cache / cache allows me to boot up fine. If I restart again, I must repeat the cache wipe or it'll stay stuck at the Google logo. Removing the module, I no longer had to do this. Is it because I have a custom kernel?

Nexus 5x 8.1(opm1.171019.011)
Magisk 15.2
ElementalX Kernel 6.01
F-droid 1.0.2

onliner

Oct 29, 2016
I'm running into a weird error when using this. When I reboot it gets stuck at the white Google logo like a semi-brick, forcing it off and booting into recovery, then clearing davlik cache / cache allows me to boot up fine. If I restart again, I must repeat the cache wipe or it'll stay stuck at the Google logo. Removing the module, I no longer had to do this. Is it because I have a custom kernel?

Nexus 5x 8.1(opm1.171019.011)
Magisk 15.2
ElementalX Kernel 6.01
F-droid 1.0.2
Logs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WA4LBkF.png
    I decided to continue @PunchyStick's Magisk module and keep it updated as F-Droid releases updates. You can generally expect updates the day after if not the day of F-Droid updating the extension.

What to know:
    -Please make sure you're running at least F-Droid 0.103
    -Disable auto app updates from within F-Droid. F-Droid Privileged Extension will automatically update and succeed, and I don't know how this will affect SafetyNet and/or the Magisk Module. (This is because the extension doesn't update like a normal app by placing updates in the data partition, it overwrites the apk in system directly).

Changelog:
    v1
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.1
    - Based directly on PunchyStick's extension

v2
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2

v3
    - Private release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2.2

v4
    - First public release
    - Privileged Extension 0.2.3

v5
    -If you installed the zip on the XDA thread, please remove that module before installing this version.
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.4

v6
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.5
    -Please update F-Droid to version 0.103 if you have not already.

v7
    -Updated to template 4

v8
    -Update to template 1400
    -Please update to Magisk 14.0 if you have not already

v9
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.6

v10
    -Privileged Extension 0.2.7
    -Template 1410
    -Only install this if you are on Magisk 14.1, a zip for Magisk 14.0 can be found attached.
    I removed the module zip from this thread as it is obsolete and my module is in the Magisk Module Repo now (and thus can be installed via Magisk). Also, as per the changelog, if you installed the zip on this thread please uninstall that module before upgrading to v5.
    There is a fork with constant updates for the folks looking for an updated module: daemonspudguy/Fdroid-Classic-Priv: Fdroid-Priv (github.com) Latest commit was last month.

Works a treat for me :)