• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MODULE] Google Assistant Enabler for Magisk v9/v10/v11

Search This thread

phairway

Jun 29, 2010
Mountain View
Hey I got this working on a Nexus 5 however, I do not hear the beep notification sound. I even enabled Switch Access in the Accessibility Settings. Any ideas how to get the beep/sound notification to work?

mike_aldwin

Oct 15, 2012
Hi, would I be able to switch to the official version of assistant once it rolls out by just uninstalling this module? Or do i need to do additional steps? Thank you!

Hey I got this working on a Nexus 5 however, I do not hear the beep notification sound. I even enabled Switch Access in the Accessibility Settings. Any ideas how to get the beep/sound notification to work?
Accessibility Settings was the only thing which worked for me to get the beep back. There's a very long thread on google products forum with people complaining, maybe another solution has surfaced since I was bothered by the same problem.

Hi, would I be able to switch to the official version of assistant once it rolls out by just uninstalling this module? Or do i need to do additional steps? Thank you!
I hope that you wouldn't have to uninstall this module to get the "official" support, it's just eventually Assistant will work on a freshly flashed phone/tablet and you won't need this module. Probably after the "official" support is rolled out, you'd be able to just uninstall the module and keep Assistant.

Reactions: mike_aldwin

fndpena

Nov 11, 2012
Montréal
What this module does to the system to enable google assistant on nougat devices?
Since it's not modifying build.prop anymore, I wonder how it works...

I'm running stock nougat and latest google app. Can I simply install this and my assistant will work?

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6

fndpena

Nov 11, 2012
Montréal
If you have your phone language set to English you probably don't have to bother...
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-assistant-now-available-for-all-android-6-0-devices/

Yeah, I know about that. I do have my language set to english, but I guess the release is limited to US for now.
I can't see anything in my phone yet, still the same old "now on tap" :(

EDIT: I just included the line ro.opa.eligible_device=true in build.prop and it worked like a charm :D
I guess this is exactly what this module does.

Last edited:

Psy0ch

Nov 28, 2013
For me nothing works.
Module installed on OnePlus 3, Google app + Play Service are up to date (newest beta release), ro.opa.eligible_device=true in build.prop, Language is U.S. .

adamjmacdonald

May 11, 2016
Do you care if I start a new thread for a Google Assistant Disabler using your module as a start? Not looking to have it put in official repo or anything.

I know your module here is a very minimal edit now that the build.prop mods required are device agnostic. Or would you rather publish such a simple, alternate module? There's a lot of people who would like to revert to google now for devices (HTC 10 in my case) who got "upgraded" and want to use Google Now at least until Assistant gets upgraded to have text input.

jmckeejr

Aug 11, 2008
Altoona, Pa
www.mckeeflooring.com
Do you care if I start a new thread for a Google Assistant Disabler using your module as a start? Not looking to have it put in official repo or anything.

I would be very interested in this. I don't want to talk to my phone would rather have google now search screen come up. I used to be able to use automagic to catch the ASSIST request and choose whatever action i wanted but with google assistant I have lost this ability.

adamjmacdonald

May 11, 2016
I would be very interested in this. I don't want to talk to my phone would rather have google now search screen come up. I used to be able to use automagic to catch the ASSIST request and choose whatever action i wanted but with google assistant I have lost this ability.

Just take his module and change the entry he sets true in build.prop from true to false.

eried1

May 27, 2016
Stockholm
In the readme it says "Enable OK Google Detection from any screen and train the voice model before installing the module". However, it seems that if you're not one of the beta testers it will fail on the third and final attempt. Would it be any point of setting the language to English (US), train the voice and then switch back to your own language?

In the readme it says "Enable OK Google Detection from any screen and train the voice model before installing the module". However, it seems that if you're not one of the beta testers it will fail on the third and final attempt. Would it be any point of setting the language to English (US), train the voice and then switch back to your own language?

Never tried it with non English (US) setting, so I don't know what will happen. With MM/N phones and English (US) you may no longer need this.

Pixelhouse

Apr 29, 2013
OnePlus 9 Pro
I have the same issue/problem as the last person, i'm actually looking for a module which allows me to use my native language (Dutch) and still allow the app to Ok google everywhere.
Because by default it's english and perhaps a few others languages but not Dutch, eventhough Dutch works perfectly inside the google app.
But i'd prefer to use it everywhere, so i don't have to open it manually. But this app does not do this correct?

Kordova

Jul 19, 2012
Buenos Aires
This module does not enable assistant google in Spanish language. I understand that xposed way does it. Someone can tell me how I can achieve it. Using OnePlus 3 T beta v14, Magisk 14

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This module enables Google Assistant on Nougat phones/tablets.

If you have Marshmallow/Nougat device you may no longer need this module after Google rolls out Google Assistant to all eligible devices. Find out more at https://blog.google/products/assistant/google-assistant-coming-to-more-android-phones/

Version 10.0.2 no longer changes phone model/manufacturer and requires Magisk 10 (thanks @candiesdoodle for investigation). Magisk 9 users can download the legacy 10.0.1 version which is the latest version which doesn't use Magisk 10-introduced features and also it still changes the phone model/manufacturer.

Make sure to check the README at GitHub for instructions/requirements/links.

NOW IN OFFICIAL MAGISK REPO!

According to this, you don't need this module if you're using Open Gapps.
    I see you made some resetprop changes. Is this all that's required to run Google Assistant?

Does the Xposed module of similar description do the same?

Yes it is .
    Will this fix the settings in the google app for "okay google" detection? I flashed v1 of the module and now those settings are greyed out/I'm unable to say "Ok google" and activate it from the home screen (or any other screen)

Edit: Flashing v2 didn't fix. I'm going to clear app data and see if that does it

Edit 2: Clearing app data didn't fix it. Any ideas?
    Try these steps:
    1. Disable the module
    2. Reboot
    3. In the Google Now setup voice model/OK Google from any screen
    4. Enable the module
    5. Reboot to recovery
    6. In recovery, wipe cache and dalvik/cache
    7. Reboot
    8. You should have google assistant working.

Only issue I have noticed with this.. When enabled, HDR+ mode is no longer available on nexus 6p. Disable this mod and HDR+ shows up again. Any way around it?
    No clue, I'm guessing HDR+ probably depends on specific prop which my module overrides in order to enable Assistant.
    That will leave this:
    /data/magisk/resetprop ro.opa.eligible_device true
    Thanks man, I'll try the same on Nexus 6 to see if it works.

If anyone wants to test the module with just this setting (without messing up model/manufacturer), try the module attached.
    Okay I think this works.
    Within the module zip, before installing, comment out the following lines in post-fs-data.sh

#/data/magisk/resetprop ro.product.model "Pixel XL"
    #/data/magisk/resetprop ro.product.manufacturer Google

That will leave this:
    /data/magisk/resetprop ro.opa.eligible_device true

Install and reboot. Worked for me on OP3 (OB10) even without clearing any cache. As said by others this probably works because the latest Google app (beta) supports it without the product properties. Hotword and voice train also works.
    @stangri sorry if I modded your module without permission and posted it here. Lmk if i should remove it.