• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MODULE][Magisk 17+] Volume Steps Extender

Search This thread

steveglowplunk

Sep 15, 2015
You are the next with LaOS having this issue.
Perhaps they override the value within late-boot or changes the Var name within the Audio Service...

I might take a look at their Audio Service files since its Open Source anyway.

Btw you can use the T19 in Magisk 18 too. Works fine.

I have looked at the source of AudioService.java of LOS 15.1 already and it does have the following lines:
HTML:
// Initialize volume
        int maxCallVolume = SystemProperties.getInt("ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps", -1);
        if (maxCallVolume != -1) {
            MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_VOICE_CALL] = maxCallVolume;
            AudioSystem.DEFAULT_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_VOICE_CALL] =
                    (maxCallVolume * 3) / 4;
        }

int maxMusicVolume = SystemProperties.getInt("ro.config.media_vol_steps", -1);
        if (maxMusicVolume != -1) {
            MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] = maxMusicVolume;
        }

int defaultMusicVolume = SystemProperties.getInt("ro.config.media_vol_default", -1);
        if (defaultMusicVolume != -1 &&
                defaultMusicVolume <= MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC]) {
            AudioSystem.DEFAULT_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] = defaultMusicVolume;
        } else {
            if (isPlatformTelevision()) {
                AudioSystem.DEFAULT_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] =
                        MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] / 4;
            } else {
                        MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] / 3;
            }
        }

So I thought it'd respect build.prop settings, but that's not what actually happens.
I am still desperately looking for a way to increase media volume steps. :(

LoaderFabi

I have looked at the source of AudioService.java of LOS 15.1 already and it does have the following lines:
HTML:
// Initialize volume
        int maxCallVolume = SystemProperties.getInt("ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps", -1);
        if (maxCallVolume != -1) {
            MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_VOICE_CALL] = maxCallVolume;
            AudioSystem.DEFAULT_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_VOICE_CALL] =
                    (maxCallVolume * 3) / 4;
        }

int maxMusicVolume = SystemProperties.getInt("ro.config.media_vol_steps", -1);
        if (maxMusicVolume != -1) {
            MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] = maxMusicVolume;
        }

int defaultMusicVolume = SystemProperties.getInt("ro.config.media_vol_default", -1);
        if (defaultMusicVolume != -1 &&
                defaultMusicVolume <= MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC]) {
            AudioSystem.DEFAULT_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] = defaultMusicVolume;
        } else {
            if (isPlatformTelevision()) {
                        MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] / 4;
            } else {
                        MAX_STREAM_VOLUME[AudioSystem.STREAM_MUSIC] / 3;
            }
        }

So I thought it'd respect build.prop settings, but that's not what actually happens.
I am still desperately looking for a way to increase media volume steps. :(

My first guess is "int defaultMusicVolume = SystemProperties.getInt("ro.config.media_vol_default", -1);"
Maybe adding ro.config.media_vol_default=30 might help

linolino

Aug 4, 2008
Nuremberg
Thanks for the module.

I installed "T19_30" version on cr6.1 @ Xperia Z3c :good: - great to have 30 instead of 15 steps.
(1st impression was it is not working - just because "Ring" volume keeps its default steps :laugh: )

Before I tried two other things:
-some Magisk Module "Volume_Steps_Plus-1.3.zip" went to crash of ROM so had to reinstall.
-App from Play "precise volume (+ eq/booster)" did not work (overwritten by ROM so jumping volume)

cheers
linolino

LoaderFabi

I installed "T19_30" version on cr6.1 @ Xperia Z3c :good: - great to have 30 instead of 15 steps.
(1st impression was it is not working - just because "Ring" volume keeps its default steps :laugh: )

Before I tried two other things:
-some Magisk Module "Volume_Steps_Plus-1.3.zip" went to crash of ROM so had to reinstall.
-App from Play "precise volume (+ eq/booster)" did not work (overwritten by ROM so jumping volume)

cheers
linolino

The Module in the Repo Crashes Stock on my Xperia XZ too, didn't bother too much about it afterwards.

frov

Dec 31, 2014
Tilburg
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for, for my 'radio' being an old Nexus5X/LineageOS15.1.
Also installed it on my current daily driver, OP3T/NLOS (=boosted LineageOS 16).
Used AOSP_VolSteInc_T19_100MediaSteps: works fine for both!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Updated the Module.
    Moved the new one to GitHub. https://github.com/Fabl0s/VolumeStepsExtender

Moved from the old Magisk-Template to the newer MMT-Ex Template and now contains 4 values for build.prop:

Code:
    ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps=30
    ro.config.media_vol_steps=30
    ro.config.alarm_vol_steps=30
    ro.config.system_vol_steps=30

Notification-Steps are still not changed by any build.prop value I can find, maybe you can find something helpful.
    I won't create multiple Modules with own Setp-numbers again.
    Just change those numbers mentioned above, 30, 60 and 100 were tested with the old Modules and should work with the new module too.

Tested on my Nokia 8 with Android 9 and my ASUS Zenfone 6 with Andoird 10 (Both Stock ROM, Magisk 20.3 Stable)
    No support for OEM-Roms.
    Lineage should work, can't test it yet tho.

Old Post:

Hi there,

A Simple Magisk Module to Increase the Volume Steps of any ROM with stock AudioService.jar by adding 3 entries to the build.prop!

Prop Entries:
    ro.config.vc_call_vol_steps=XX
    ro.config.media_vol_steps=XX
    audio.safemedia.bypass=true

Depending on Zip, you get either 30, 60 or 100 Steps for MediaVol. InCallVol is set to 14 in all Zips, change it youself if you want another value. (common/system.prop in the Zip)
    Bypass Safemedia should disable the Loud Volume Warning on European Devices (Don't Quote me on that tho)

IT WON'T WORK WITH ANY STOCK SAMSUNG DEVICE AND I CAN'T CHANGE THAT!
    SAME GOES FOR ANY OEM WHO CHANGES ANDROIDS AudioFramework.jar!!!

Until now, it seems like Lineage 15.1 doesn't work either.
    Maybe other versions too.

T17 is for Magisk 17 and 18
    T19 is for Magisk 18 and 19+

If you need this for Magisk 16 or earlier, take a look at this: [url]https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-volume-steps-increase-magisk-v10-t3554996[/URL]

I tested T17 on my Devices (Xperia Z4 with Android 7, Xperia XZ with Android 8 and Nokia 8 with Android 9)

## Changelog ##
    T17: Release for Magisk 17+
    T19: Release for Magisk 19+

This is not much work, but if you appreciate it anyway, hit Thanks or consider to gift me a drink.
    Cheers
    Please help to increase steps to 100, I tried to edit and zip, but not flashable, ty

See OP Attachments
    Possible to increase music to 60? Ty

Uploaded 60 Steps Module to first Post! (Left the In-Call Steps at 14)
    Works perfect on pocophone f1 with miui 10 beta
    It still did not work :( Can you edit the file changing the 4 values to 60 and upload the file here for me please? I will really appreciate that.

not tested but idk - there is no reason for it to not work