[Module][Magisk][Pixel][Pixel 2][Bootanimation][Systemless]

Search This thread

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Is this right?

Here some magisk modules which can install Google Pixel (2016) & Google Pixel (2017) phones' bootanimation systemlessly.

I'm checking: Google-pixel-2-dark-bootanimation-systemless.zip

In module.prop:
Code:
id=pixel2bootanimationdark

- but -

in config.sh:
Code:
# This will be the folder name under /magisk
# This should also be the same as the id in your module.prop to prevent confusion
MODID=googledialercontactsmessages

Not a problem?

Wartickler

Nov 4, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
You downloaded the old version. He fixed it in v2 last November. Use Pixel-2-Dark-Bootanimation-Systemless-v2.zip

Oh I see! Thank you.

I wonder why keep the old version there...?

EDIT:
And, of course, I fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The first, is never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well known is, never ask a question that's already been answered if you didn't read the entire previous posts! AHAHAHAH! AHAHAHAH! AHAHAHAH! [I'm dead.]

Last edited:

bzz11g

Oct 17, 2010
Moscow
The template is still 1400, it doesn't look like you did anything. It'll work with Magisk 16 but not 16.4 and newer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Labs

you can update template ? then do it, now you are just making blah-blah-blah and noting useful

my zip work on my 1+5 with magisk 16.3

yochananmarqos

Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2013
www.androideputies.com
you can update template ? then do it, now you are just making blah-blah-blah and noting useful

Seeing how it worked, maybe you just forgot to update the template version in the module.prop. Also, the version and versionCode need to be bumped. No reason to get bent out of shape. Mistakes help you learn.

Here's the Pixel 2 Dark version updated to template 1500:

Attachments

• Pixel-2-Dark-Bootanimation-Systemless-v2.1-1500.zip
    3 MB · Views: 319
Last edited:

gyj1109

Aug 22, 2018
Hangzhou, Zhejiang
gyj1109.top
Seeing how it worked, maybe you just forgot to update the template version in the module.prop. Also, the version and versionCode need to be bumped. No reason to get bent out of shape. Mistakes help you learn.

I can't use this module properly in Android P. After installation, the boot animation completely "disappeared". Opening the /system/media directory, I found that the bootanimation.zip file size is wrong and it is getting smaller. I don't know what happened.

BTW, it should be
Code:
minMagisk=1500
instead of
Code:
template=1500
in the last line of the moudle.prop file.

Last edited:

yochananmarqos

Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2013
www.androideputies.com
I can't use this module properly in Android P. After installation, the boot animation completely "disappeared". Opening the /system/media directory, I found that the bootanimation.zip file size is wrong and it is getting smaller. I don't know what happened.

BTW, it should be
Code:
minMagisk=1500
instead of
Code:
template=1500
in the last line of the module.prop file.

Thanks for letting me know, I forgot to test it on Pie. It turns out it requires updating due to changes in Magisk 16.4:

In this major refactoring, I finally decided to remove post-fs mode. As a replacement, the files for simple mount should now be moved from /cache/magisk_mount to /data/adb/magisk_simple, and will be mounted immediately in post-fs-data mode before the daemon initialization.

I updated it accordingly and I verified the bootanimation.zip in /system/media is dark, but the animation is still the default white. I attached it if you want to test.

EDIT: Apparently, post-fs-data is loaded too late after the bootanimation starts. This is with Magisk 16.7.

Attachments

• test-Pixel_2-Dark_Bootanimation_Systemless-2.2.zip
    3 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: kamilmirza

gyj1109

Aug 22, 2018
Hangzhou, Zhejiang
gyj1109.top
Thanks for letting me know, I forgot to test it on Pie. It turns out it requires updating due to changes in Magisk 16.4:

I updated it accordingly and I verified the bootanimation.zip in /system/media is dark, but the animation is still the default white. I attached it if you want to test.

EDIT: Apparently, post-fs-data is loaded too late after the bootanimation starts. This is with Magisk 16.7.

I found that the module works fine when compressing the bootanimation.zip file. Of course, I can't use a higher compression ratio directly because it seems that the bootanimation.zip file can only be saved in Store mode. So I compressed the png file in bootanimation.zip. Also, this bootanimation was remaked by myself, which removed "Powered by Android". You can download it for testing. (I'm sorry that I can't upload the file directly because of the limit of xda, and this link is only available for 7 days.)

yochananmarqos

Recognized Contributor
Feb 15, 2013
www.androideputies.com
I found that the module works fine when compressing the bootanimation.zip file. Of course, I can't use a higher compression ratio directly because it seems that the bootanimation.zip file can only be saved in Store mode. So I compressed the png file in bootanimation.zip. Also, this bootanimation was remaked by myself, which removed "Powered by Android". You can download it for testing. (I'm sorry that I can't upload the file directly because of the limit of xda, and this link is only available for 7 days.)

I replaced the bootanimation.zip in my test version above with your compressed version but it still does not load. Your module is missing /common/post-fs-data.sh. You can't replace the bootanimation.zip in /system/media directly as the Magisk daemon hasn't started until after the boot animation starts.

gyj1109

Aug 22, 2018
Hangzhou, Zhejiang
gyj1109.top
I replaced the bootanimation.zip in my test version above with your compressed version but it still does not load. Your module is missing /common/post-fs-data.sh. You can't replace the bootanimation.zip in /system/media directly as the Magisk daemon hasn't started until after the boot animation starts.

Does it work this time? You can have a try. In my case, sometimes it works very well, sometimes it doesn't work at all. Download it here, and just available for 7 days again.

domnic79

Recognized Contributor
Apr 20, 2011
Panaji
Doesnt work on Magisk 17.0 & 17.1

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180902-011242.jpg
    Screenshot_20180902-011242.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 201

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here some magisk modules which can install Google Pixel (2016) & Google Pixel (2017) phones' bootanimation systemlessly.

Available modules:
    Google Pixel (2016) dark bootanimation
    Google Pixel (2016) white bootanimation
    Google Pixel 2 (2017) white bootanimation
    Google Pixel 2 (2017) dark bootanimation (Mod made by @TECHNO_THUNDER)
    Download:
    Download appropriate file from attachments..

Compatibility: Magisk 14.0+

How to install?
    Flash from TWRP
    Or
    Flash from magisk manager v5.3+

Note: Modules are full HD i.e. 1080p size.
    Could you send or post correct archive, because no one link works? I wanna install it for 1+3 with magisk 17.1
    I've attached my version updated for Magisk 17 (template version 17000). It works for me on my Pixel running Pie with the September security patch. It only worked once right after I flashed the September OTA. Magisk isn't loading post-fs-data in time for it to load before the boot animation.

Sent from my Pixel using XDA Labs

@dr.bathman

Some info and critique:

Magisk cannot replace the bootanimation in /system directly since the Magisk image is not mounted until after it starts. See post #7 of the main Magisk post:

For example, you want to replace /system/media/bootanimation.zip, copy your new boot animation zip to /cache/magisk_mount/system/media/bootanimation.zip with any root explorer, Magisk will mount your files in the next reboot.

To add it to a module, you would set POSTFSDATA to true and add this to /common/post-fs-data.sh:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /cache/magisk_mount/system/media/
    cp -f $MODDIR/system/media/bootanimation.zip /cache/magisk_mount/system/media/bootanimation.zip

In all four of your modules, the MODID in config.sh is googledialercontactsmessages. The id in module.prop has the proper names.

Also, the permissions are already set in config.sh for 0755 for folders and 0644 for files. The line you added to set 0644 permissions for the bootanimation.zip is redundant and unnecessary.
    I have Xiaomi Mi A1 and it has standard Android One boot animation which I hated the most. So I downloaded the dark Pixel 2 boot animation from the above list and extracted the bootanimation.zip from inside system/media. Then I copied it in my internal memory. After that I opened ES file explorer and went to system/media and renamed the current bootanimation.zip to bootanimation.zip1 for back up and copied the pixel boot animation zip file in the media folder. That's it! The boot animation is changed successfully. Now I am working on to change the splash screen.

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 AM ----------

Sadly I've have the same situation as the pixel 2 on my xiaomi mi A1, I think at this point it's correlated to the a/b partition

Don't flash the zip file from Magisk. Just extract it and pull out bootanimation.zip from system/media. Copy it in your phone memory. Now open ES file explorer on your device and head on to system/media. You will find a bootanimation.zip file. Rename it to bootanimation.zip1 for future back up and now copy the pixel boot animation zip here that you have previously copied in your device. That's it. You now have the Google pixel boot animation. I have Mi A1 and that's how I changed boot animation. Flashing didn't work for me.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone