[MODULE] N3O No Nonsense Notch Overlay

Search This thread

Kat Jillianne

Sep 18, 2020
Given OS is empty I'm assuming your on android 12, is your device pixel 5 or was that just the preset you used?
I have not updated in a while so maybe it's the volume module being out of date.

Another thing is the volume key detection is on a timer (I think) so if you press the wrong button or take too long it will fail
I used the default release. Installation process goes straight to failure without input timer. Using Mi 10T pro, on Arrow OS aosp rom, Android 12, as stated before.

Tommy0000

Dec 3, 2017
Moto G 5G Plus
Works great on android 12, i've used the overlay menu on the developer options to enable it, i recommend to be very careful when choosing the overlay that the module created not to touch the android stock options because they can soft brick your phone and you'll have to disable it via adb.
Running GSI Treble Pixel Experience on Nairo (moto g 5g plus)

trips555

Mar 9, 2008
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Works great on android 12, i've used the overlay menu on the developer options to enable it, i recommend to be very careful when choosing the overlay that the module created not to touch the android stock options because they can soft brick your phone and you'll have to disable it via adb.
Running GSI Treble Pixel Experience on Nairo (moto g 5g plus)
How's you get around the volume key selector exiting installation?

Tommy0000

Dec 3, 2017
Moto G 5G Plus
How's you get around the volume key selector exiting installation?
It just worked for me, i have magisk preinstalled (twrp doesn't work) I selected custom, then edited the files (the left one specifically) to 240 (i have 2 punch holes) and then ran again the script installation selecting the custom option.

It created one apk for each file text that then they were visible in the dev options under simulate screen cutout.

Idk if it's the right way but it worked so i won't complain.

To me the volume key installation creates, after selection with the plus button, apk(s) for the thing i selected

Reactions: LOGMD
It just worked for me, i have magisk preinstalled (twrp doesn't work) I selected custom, then edited the files (the left one specifically) to 240 (i have 2 punch holes) and then ran again the script installation selecting the custom option.

It created one apk for each file text that then they were visible in the dev options under simulate screen cutout.

Idk if it's the right way but it worked so i won't complain.

To me the volume key installation creates, after selection with the plus button, apk(s) for the thing i selected
can share it i still need a fix for it

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Hmm I wonder what has changed, been swamped with personal life anyone with git & coding experience feel free to take a look at the public repo. Do other modules install fine?

Christos_A

Oct 18, 2017
Sony Xperia V
Sony Xperia XA
Hmm I wonder what has changed, been swamped with personal life anyone with git & coding experience feel free to take a look at the public repo. Do other modules install fine?
All modules i've tried do, though they may have been updated to work on Canary

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211224-102114.jpg
    Screenshot_20211224-102114.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 59

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
I patched away the calls to chooseport(). Resulted in no apks being created and me being told that the ROM (A12, Samsung OneUI 4.0) is probably incompatible. Do you have any ideas? Your latest v1.4I4Z.003 worked fine on A11, OneUI 3.whatever.
It might be because the code I based this off assumes 11 is the latest Android version, might need to make the check greater or equal rather than just equal (support check is just a safety check and should be able to override if the vol keys work)

Swordfishx86

It might be because the code I based this off assumes 11 is the latest Android version
Nope. The message comes from the else block in build_apk() because ${OVDIR}/unsigned.apk doesn't exist. My guess is that

aapt p -f -M ${OVDIR}/AndroidManifest.xml \
-I /system/framework/framework-res.apk -S ${OVDIR}/res/ \
-F ${OVDIR}/unsigned.apk

fails. That's line 40 in your original install.sh. I figured using aapt64 helps ^^

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Nope. The message comes from the else block in build_apk() because ${OVDIR}/unsigned.apk doesn't exist. My guess is that

aapt p -f -M ${OVDIR}/AndroidManifest.xml \
-I /system/framework/framework-res.apk -S ${OVDIR}/res/ \
-F ${OVDIR}/unsigned.apk

fails. That's line 40 in your original install.sh. I figured using aapt64 helps ^^
You are most likely correct about aapt64
I looked at g visual mod and there's some logic that figures out what appt to use

Bash:
[ "$(${MODPATH}/common/addon/aapt/aaptx86 v)" ] && AAPT=aaptx86
[ "$(${MODPATH}/common/addon/aapt/aapt v)" ] && AAPT=aapt
[ "$(${MODPATH}/common/addon/aapt/aapt64 v)" ] && AAPT=aapt64
cp -af ${MODPATH}/common/addon/aapt/${AAPT} ${MODPATH}/system/${BINPATH}/aapt
cp -af ${MODPATH}/common/addon/zip ${MODPATH}/system/${BINPATH}/zip
cp -af ${MODPATH}/common/addon/zipsigner ${MODPATH}/system/${BINPATH}/zipsigner
cp -af ${MODPATH}/common/addon/zipsigner-3.0-dexed.jar ${MODPATH}/system/${BINPATH}/zipsigner-3.0-dexed.jar

Seems the Dev bundles it too with the module.

I've sinced wiped my pc since releasing this so once work calms down might get a chance to look at this.

Reactions: Swordfishx86

LadTy

Apr 17, 2013
www.LadTy.com
I am running (stock rooted A11) OnePlus 7T Pro - a gorgeous full-device screen with no notch whatsoever. But ever since Android 11, it is unable to completely ditch status bar at the top.

At best, I am able to hide the "contents of the status bar" with G-Visual Mod, by setting the status bar height to 0. BUT the "bar" itself is still present in all apps at the top, even when there is no content drawn in it. And I really really want my apps to utilize the whole screen, both in landscape and in portrait (browser still has the ugly bar at the top, no matter what I do, same for all other apps).

I noticed, that when changing the option under
Settings -> Developer -> Display Cutout
The status bar (and the reserved space around it) actually does change and move up/down for various options. The "Waterfall Cutout" makes the bar significantly narrower, and apps are properly respecting it (= being drawn a bit higher) too. I believe this mod works in the same way? Could this mod be altered in such a way to fully hide that bar? Squishing it to be bully invisible, or pushing it out of the screen?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks for the info, yeah Europe finally got OOS12 so I upgraded last week and it went haywire,

Sorry I was supposed to give an update but my kid was born last week 😂

Hope to get some time to look into this before I go back to work. Anyone have any ideas how to get this working in A12? If anyone has decompiled system apks and xmls might help.

Did installing OOS12 lock the bootloader again for anyone else? I no longer get the warning at boot, but maintained magisk and root
    The removal of unlocked bootloader prompt is normal behavior. Just don't relock it. :p
    How can I fix the error attached file
    You can find the answer two posts before yours.
    N3O (or Nitrous Oxide i guess :p)
    Who is it for:
    • devices with punchole or cutout displays
    • the black bar REALLY annoys you in landscape
    • clock behind camera annoys you just as much!
    What it does:
    • Uses full screen in landscape mode
    • respects the cutout in portrait to ensure a normal status bar
    Device Support
    • Preset for Oneplus 8/8T & 8 Pro
    • Preset for Pixel 5
    • Other devices via custom config (left/right cutouts, center cutouts experimental)
    • Custom mode for other left or right cutouts without presets (please share your values)
    13 - Experimental builds (here)
    12 - Experemental builds (here)
    11 - AOSP based Roms
    10 - Currently not supported (can install but bootloops reported)

Nonsense:
    The only nonsesne here, is that devices that switch resolution need to have a specific cutout to match it. if you dynamically change resolution using tasker you need to switch overlays when you do so (seems to not affect powersave mode when at full resolution)

For up-to date information on features in the module and how to use it, check the documentation on git here

Where do i get it:

Recognition
    • Gnonymous7 for Script base and install logic
    • Zackptg5 for MMT-Ex template.
    • topjohnwu Magisk.
    • All the testers and xda for providing a platform to test on
    @LOGMD and for anyone with the script running past the volume check in the Magisk app, install Fox's Magisk Module Manager from github and flash the module through that.
    I was having the same issue. I'm on Canary Magisk and Android 13 and installation works with Fox's Mmm. It also works on Android 12 and Canary. Plus now that modules aren't provided through the Magisk app anymore, it's nice to have a repo to get modules from.
    You should try submitting your module to that LOGMD. People who weren't getting their modules accepted to the old official repo are getting accepted there. The requirements for the official one I never understood.
    (edited to include the link)

That's pretty-much what this module does, immersive mode on Android 11. I do use Nova with a hidden status bar so I don't know what this mod does with other launchers but it gives me full immersive mode in landscape for games, YouTube, Netflix etc, etc.

Edit: I re-read your post and you're asking specifically about portrait... do you want that for all apps or just the launcher? Based on previous discussions I recall most people want landscape only immersive mode.
    Full immersive still isn't possible, the status bar ain't going nowhere with their customisations.

I tried many days to find where they force the status bar to always reserve space in portrait but had no luck. Closest I got was to disable all the oneplus overlays but then the system started behaving strangely
    Just popping in to confirm that v1 works just fine on the OP8 with the latest stable build of OOS/A11 - 11.0.4.4 released a few days ago. (y)
    Would it be possible to go full screen in portrait apps as well? Can't we push all status bar elements to the right? (punch hole on the top left)

With the custom setting you can push it as far right as you want.

Oneplus 8 series
    However there's no ridding of the statusbar or even changing its size at the moment.

G-visual mod alters the status bar height and yes the content of the statusbar shrinks. But can't move the line below the camera that separates the statusbar from the action bar (this is not normal behaviour)

I've spent countless nights modding this to hell but the only way I got anything to work is remove all the system UI overlays using magisk - but then things like brightness control etc stop working 😂

other devices
    you could enable immersive (other mods should be compatible with this)

This mod however just inserts an object to the left which obstructs elements underneath to move, pushing all the content to the right would mean modifying a lot of XML files across different devices and compatibility would be hard (device specific)

What we perceive as the "status bar" is actually not just in one place in android, it consists of, status bar, keyboard status bar, heads up status bar and notification status bar.

My original pre release no nonsense mod was built like this, but I found it was version specific to even minor upgrades and was too volatile causing bootloops etc.

Not that it cannot be done.

sorry for the essay just sharing my findings 😂