Search This thread

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
N3O (or Nitrous Oxide i guess :p)
Who is it for:
  • devices with punchole or cutout displays
  • the black bar REALLY annoys you in landscape
  • clock behind camera annoys you just as much!
What it does:
  • Uses full screen in landscape mode
  • respects the cutout in portrait to ensure a normal status bar
Device Support
  • Preset for Oneplus 8/8T & 8 Pro
  • Preset for Pixel 5
  • Other devices via custom config (left/right cutouts, center cutouts experimental)
  • Custom mode for other left or right cutouts without presets (please share your values)
13 - Experimental builds (here)
12 - Experemental builds (here)
11 - AOSP based Roms
10 - Currently not supported (can install but bootloops reported)

Nonsense:
The only nonsesne here, is that devices that switch resolution need to have a specific cutout to match it. if you dynamically change resolution using tasker you need to switch overlays when you do so (seems to not affect powersave mode when at full resolution)

For up-to date information on features in the module and how to use it, check the documentation on git here

Where do i get it:

Recognition
  • Gnonymous7 for Script base and install logic
  • Zackptg5 for MMT-Ex template.
  • topjohnwu Magisk.
  • All the testers and xda for providing a platform to test on

Attachments

• N3O_v1.4I4Z.003.zip
    7.7 MB · Views: 4,922
Last edited:

Jojo821

Aug 3, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Thanks, works perfect for my Pixel 5 :)
Only disadvantage is the blurry border ring around the hole punch camera.

Do you have any future plans to fix this?

Greetings

Reactions: LOGMD

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Thanks, works perfect for my Pixel 5 :)
Only disadvantage is the blurry border ring around the hole punch camera.

Do you have any future plans to fix this?

Greetings
Yeah think this happens for all "notch killer" ones as well.

Tbh a non root app with just a customizable circle would work to anti Alias the cutout 😎

I could not find any existing ones from a quick search but may create one in the future.

Reactions: JA sunny

Jojo821

Aug 3, 2013
Google Pixel 5
Yeah think this happens for all "notch killer" ones as well.

Tbh a non root app with just a customizable circle would work to anti Alias the cutout 😎

I could not find any existing ones from a quick search but may create one in the future.
Yeah i tried using the App Energy Ring and it worked when i color it to black.

But i don't need that function :D

Reactions: LOGMD

Rindmann

Dec 3, 2014
Dortmund
Do you think that we can have an immersive mode on android 11 like it's working on android 10? (Auto hiding status bar to prevent burn in)

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Do you think that we can have an immersive mode on android 11 like it's working on android 10? (Auto hiding status bar to prevent burn in)

Oneplus did something funky with the system UI customisations.

I think immersive doesn't work for the same reason you can't truly change the status bar height.

I tested a module I built to disable as many systemUi overlays by oneplus and the statusbar started reacting correctly (not sure about immersive but it let me change the height properly)

Inadvertently it also caused brightness to stay on max and a bunch of other weird things but hey 😂

Yeah i tried using the App Energy Ring and it worked when i color it to black.

But i don't need that function :D
I tried this and set it to black but it doesn't seem to anti Alias as well as the default cutout option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rindmann

Rindmann

Dec 3, 2014
Dortmund
Oneplus did something funky with the system UI customisations.

I think immersive doesn't work for the same reason you can't truly change the status bar height.

I tested a module I built to disable as many systemUi overlays by oneplus and the statusbar started reacting correctly (not sure about immersive but it let me change the height properly)

Inadvertently it also caused brightness to stay on max and a bunch of other weird things but hey 😂
Damn it... :( So you think that immersive mode and android 11 are an impossible thing?

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Damn it... :( So you think that immersive mode and android 11 are an impossible thing?

Unlikely 😉 not impossible. Just better hope the code doesn't sit in java files because editing smali files are a real pain.

I'm probably gonna do another dump of all files from the latest update at some point and extract all apks etc and do a scan in the contents of all files.

I have a pretty fast 3000mbps ssd so any windows/Linux tools people know for taking advantage while searching let me know

Rindmann

Dec 3, 2014
Dortmund
Unlikely 😉 not impossible. Just better hope the code doesn't sit in java files because editing smali files are a real pain.

I'm probably gonna do another dump of all files from the latest update at some point and extract all apks etc and do a scan in the contents of all files.

I have a pretty fast 3000mbps ssd so any windows/Linux tools people know for taking advantage while searching let me know

You rock man! Really, the only thing which prevents me from updating my 8 pro to Android 11 is no possible immersive mode. On 10, i can auto hide the status bar and the punch hole gets ignored, too.

xunholyx

Recognized Contributor
Dec 3, 2012
Vancouver
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 7 Pro
LOL. Nothing is impossible. I would have replied to this instead of what I did above if I saw it first.

EDIT: You'll need to use gestures instead of navbar buttons to use that module. Never thought to ask what you are using, but gestures is default on 11

Rindmann

Dec 3, 2014
Dortmund
LOL. Nothing is impossible. I would have replied to this instead of what I did above if I saw it first.

EDIT: You'll need to use gestures instead of navbar buttons to use that module. Never thought to ask what you are using, but gestures is default on 11

Hey, I appreciate your help! :) So, as mentioned from you above, if I use both of those modules,nI can have a working immersive mode on 11? With the statusbar being disabled / autohidden? (Statusbar, not navbar). Best regards :)

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London

Hey, I appreciate your help! :) So, as mentioned from you above, if I use both of those modules,nI can have a working immersive mode on 11? With the statusbar being disabled / autohidden? (Statusbar, not navbar). Best regards :)

It still doesn't rid of the status bar for me though. Navbar goes away like the fullscreen mode

AndyYan

Recognized Contributor
Jan 30, 2012
Beijing
Using a 1px-wide cutout to achieve full landscape in Android 11, neat. Thanks for the inspiration OP!

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Probably you need to be using gestures instead of navbar, but that's just a guess. The mod is made to get rid of the little white line/pill at the bottom of the screen which also creates a small thin black bar when gestures is used.
Ah yeah I use it like this with gesyures. But immersive mode historically came with settings.

No navbar.
No statusbar.
Fullscreen (no status and navbar)

I'm assuming that's what's being considered immersive mode that's broken.

aVider

Jan 25, 2015
Would it be possible to go full screen in portrait apps as well? Can't we push all status bar elements to the right? (punch hole on the top left)

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Would it be possible to go full screen in portrait apps as well? Can't we push all status bar elements to the right? (punch hole on the top left)

With the custom setting you can push it as far right as you want.

Oneplus 8 series
However there's no ridding of the statusbar or even changing its size at the moment.

G-visual mod alters the status bar height and yes the content of the statusbar shrinks. But can't move the line below the camera that separates the statusbar from the action bar (this is not normal behaviour)

I've spent countless nights modding this to hell but the only way I got anything to work is remove all the system UI overlays using magisk - but then things like brightness control etc stop working 😂

other devices
you could enable immersive (other mods should be compatible with this)

This mod however just inserts an object to the left which obstructs elements underneath to move, pushing all the content to the right would mean modifying a lot of XML files across different devices and compatibility would be hard (device specific)

What we perceive as the "status bar" is actually not just in one place in android, it consists of, status bar, keyboard status bar, heads up status bar and notification status bar.

My original pre release no nonsense mod was built like this, but I found it was version specific to even minor upgrades and was too volatile causing bootloops etc.

Not that it cannot be done.

sorry for the essay just sharing my findings 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: aVider and xunholyx

aVider

Jan 25, 2015
With the custom setting you can push it as far right as you want.

Oneplus 8 series
However there's no ridding of the statusbar or even changing its size at the moment.

G-visual mod alters the status bar height and yes the content of the statusbar shrinks. But can't move the line below the camera that separates the statusbar from the action bar (this is not normal behaviour)

I've spent countless nights modding this to hell but the only way I got anything to work is remove all the system UI overlays using magisk - but then things like brightness control etc stop working 😂

other devices
you could enable immersive (other mods should be compatible with this)

This mod however just inserts an object to the left which obstructs elements underneath to move, pushing all the content to the right would mean modifying a lot of XML files across different devices and compatibility would be hard (device specific)

What we perceive as the "status bar" is actually not just in one place in android, it consists of, status bar, keyboard status bar, heads up status bar and notification status bar.

My original pre release no nonsense mod was built like this, but I found it was version specific to even minor upgrades and was too volatile causing bootloops etc.

Not that it cannot be done.

sorry for the essay just sharing my findings 😂

I appreciate the information you shared. I'm trying to find info on the status bar and possible mods to get rid of the black bar in some games.

I'm actually using an oneplus 8 pro. I tried g-visual mod but it didn't work properly. (There is also a possibility I did something completely wrong).

Adding status bar padding changed nothing. There were elements behind the punch hole.

What custom settings are you referring to?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    N3O (or Nitrous Oxide i guess :p)
    Who is it for:
    • devices with punchole or cutout displays
    • the black bar REALLY annoys you in landscape
    • clock behind camera annoys you just as much!
    What it does:
    • Uses full screen in landscape mode
    • respects the cutout in portrait to ensure a normal status bar
    Device Support
    • Preset for Oneplus 8/8T & 8 Pro
    • Preset for Pixel 5
    • Other devices via custom config (left/right cutouts, center cutouts experimental)
    • Custom mode for other left or right cutouts without presets (please share your values)
    13 - Experimental builds (here)
    12 - Experemental builds (here)
    11 - AOSP based Roms
    10 - Currently not supported (can install but bootloops reported)

Nonsense:
    The only nonsesne here, is that devices that switch resolution need to have a specific cutout to match it. if you dynamically change resolution using tasker you need to switch overlays when you do so (seems to not affect powersave mode when at full resolution)

For up-to date information on features in the module and how to use it, check the documentation on git here

Where do i get it:

Recognition
    • Gnonymous7 for Script base and install logic
    • Zackptg5 for MMT-Ex template.
    • topjohnwu Magisk.
    • All the testers and xda for providing a platform to test on
    @LOGMD and for anyone with the script running past the volume check in the Magisk app, install Fox's Magisk Module Manager from github and flash the module through that.
    I was having the same issue. I'm on Canary Magisk and Android 13 and installation works with Fox's Mmm. It also works on Android 12 and Canary. Plus now that modules aren't provided through the Magisk app anymore, it's nice to have a repo to get modules from.
    You should try submitting your module to that LOGMD. People who weren't getting their modules accepted to the old official repo are getting accepted there. The requirements for the official one I never understood.
    (edited to include the link)

That's pretty-much what this module does, immersive mode on Android 11. I do use Nova with a hidden status bar so I don't know what this mod does with other launchers but it gives me full immersive mode in landscape for games, YouTube, Netflix etc, etc.

Edit: I re-read your post and you're asking specifically about portrait... do you want that for all apps or just the launcher? Based on previous discussions I recall most people want landscape only immersive mode.
    Full immersive still isn't possible, the status bar ain't going nowhere with their customisations.

I tried many days to find where they force the status bar to always reserve space in portrait but had no luck. Closest I got was to disable all the oneplus overlays but then the system started behaving strangely
    More like a first beta than a developers preview. No bugs at all yet, but unlike the first betas, very few new things yet.
    Most DP1s have a few bugs, but not so much with 12
    I usually wait until DP2, but I have 2 backup devices right now; one which I use at work 5 days a week (Pixel 2XL), so I took the plunge on DP2 for 12
    The other device is a HTC 10 that I also use 5 days a week, but just for an MP3 player at work for my BT speaker.

EDIT: Shame to see what problem exists exactly? I have no issues

They are mainly nitpicks but things that would make it perfect.

changing resolutions means changing cutout, it's annoying but not end of the world and can be automated via tasker.

Installation for custom values is ok but I would prefer I build an app that launches during install to configure the cutout with previews etc

Center cutouts don't work, but they are mostly Samsung devices that do this feature anyways

And the anti aliasing around the notch, against a white background you can see it's all jagged. When the previous overlay was there they draw a cutout just a little larger than the cutout so it appears smooth. Again can probably fixed with an app/ service that draws on the screen to achieve it.

But for a large majority of use-cases this suffices 😂

I mean I'm software developer professionally so I can just figure these things out, but to really give people the the value out of their devices it's the ones that just learned how to install magisk without bricking that It should be easy for 😂 either way. All to happen if I ever have time to improve this.

Right now the 120hz stuck on the always on display for oneplus 8 pro is my next annoyance. The drain is unbearable with AOD but compared to my mate 20 pro it sipped power on AOD

P.s. if anyone has some suggested presets to load for devices not covered please let me know. Popular devices I'll add to the installer but any other device I'll just include values for the custom setup in the readme