[MODULE] N3O No Nonsense Notch Overlay

Search This thread

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
That's pretty-much what this module does, immersive mode on Android 11. I do use Nova with a hidden status bar so I don't know what this mod does with other launchers but it gives me full immersive mode in landscape for games, YouTube, Netflix etc, etc.

Edit: I re-read your post and you're asking specifically about portrait... do you want that for all apps or just the launcher? Based on previous discussions I recall most people want landscape only immersive mode.
Full immersive still isn't possible, the status bar ain't going nowhere with their customisations.

I tried many days to find where they force the status bar to always reserve space in portrait but had no luck. Closest I got was to disable all the oneplus overlays but then the system started behaving strangely

Rindmann

Dec 3, 2014
Dortmund
That's pretty-much what this module does, immersive mode on Android 11. I do use Nova with a hidden status bar so I don't know what this mod does with other launchers but it gives me full immersive mode in landscape for games, YouTube, Netflix etc, etc.

Edit: I re-read your post and you're asking specifically about portrait... do you want that for all apps or just the launcher? Based on previous discussions I recall most people want landscape only immersive mode.
Thanks for your reply! :) I'm looking for immersive mode (hidden status bar and punch hole ignored) for all apps. I currently have this setup, but sadly on android 10.

dustintinsley

Jun 14, 2013
Any way to enable this while also in portrait mode on device? Works on my OnePlus 9 Pro but only in landscape mode, looking to enable it in portrait mode also, if possible.

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Any way to enable this while also in portrait mode on device? Works on my OnePlus 9 Pro but only in landscape mode, looking to enable it in portrait mode also, if possible.
So you want the clock behind the camera?

If you are talking about removing the statusbar, oneplus do some wierd things that force the statusbar height in portrait. Even removing the statusbar makes the icons just go. But the separator does not budge

dustintinsley

Jun 14, 2013
So you want the clock behind the camera?

If you are talking about removing the statusbar, oneplus do some wierd things that force the statusbar height in portrait. Even removing the statusbar makes the icons just go. But the separator does not budge
I didn't know if you could apply padding to the icons in portrait mode so the icons weren't behind the camera. Understand know.

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
@LOGMD So I have successfully gotten full immersive to work on Android 11 for designated apps by using "Notch Killer" and forcing immersive in the xposed module "App settings". The only issue is when I pull down the status bar location to temporarily view the status bar, the notifications and clock is behind/under the notch. I'm using a Oneplus 8t, so the cutout is on the left. Furthermore, the apps I choose not to be immersive, like the home screen, also place the clock and notifications under the punch hole notch.

I found that your app works properly for honoring the cutout notch, but immersive just makes a black bar on top. Is there anyway to combine your padding settings with "Notch Killer" somehow? It would truly be the perfect solution then. Thank you.

Reactions: subham619 and LOGMD

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
@LOGMD So I have successfully gotten full immersive to work on Android 11 for designated apps by using "Notch Killer" and forcing immersive in the xposed module "App settings". The only issue is when I pull down the status bar location to temporarily view the status bar, the notifications and clock is behind/under the notch. I'm using a Oneplus 8t, so the cutout is on the left. Furthermore, the apps I choose not to be immersive, like the home screen, also place the clock and notifications under the punch hole notch.

I found that your app works properly for honoring the cutout notch, but immersive just makes a black bar on top. Is there anyway to combine your padding settings with "Notch Killer" somehow? It would truly be the perfect solution then. Thank you.
Interesting, so N3O has a 1px faux notch just to shuffle the elements below past the camera. Notch killer completely zeros out the notch.
It appears that with N3O and any immersive triggers a black bar to some value tucked away by oneplus if the notch has any size at all.

Overlays like notchkiller and N30 don't really run any code and the restart the apps in the foreground when switching otherwise it could be automated.

My code is open source if anyone wants to experiment, but I spent countless hours digging into the mystery of this black bar and can't seem to find an answer. Closest I know is something in the oneplus "overlay" for Android is doing this.

Btw an overlay in this sense isn't some element overlapping another. It's talking about system code and components. You have the core Android image and then vendors overlay their device specific features on it

Reactions: jal3223

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
Google Pixel XL
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Interesting, so N3O has a 1px faux notch just to shuffle the elements below past the camera. Notch killer completely zeros out the notch.
It appears that with N3O and any immersive triggers a black bar to some value tucked away by oneplus if the notch has any size at all.
That's unfortunate that Oneplus has this bug in their coding. So would N30 theoretically do what I'm looking for on an AOSP based rom such as Havoc?

XenonXYZ

Jun 19, 2021
OnePlus 8T
Hi, this mod isn't working for me on my 8T. I open games and even normal apps like Chrome and there's a huge black bar on the left like normal. Any solutions?
EDIT: Never mind, I had no idea about this. So you actually have to go to the developer settings -> Display Cutout, and then select the preset you installed. Not sure if I missed it from the instructions, but maybe it can be added in the instructions.

Last edited:
Reactions: xunholyx and LOGMD

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Hi, this mod isn't working for me on my 8T. I open games and even normal apps like Chrome and there's a huge black bar on the left like normal. Any solutions?
EDIT: Never mind, I had no idea about this. So you actually have to go to the developer settings -> Display Cutout, and then select the preset you installed. Not sure if I missed it from the instructions, but maybe it can be added in the instructions.
Well that is embarrassing I checked the docs both here and git and that's missing 😂 when I get a chance I'll update it.

Reactions: XenonXYZ

Dedushka_A-u

Nov 20, 2011
Hello.
After updating to OxygenOS 11.0.8.8, this module is not installed for me - it writes that it cannot determine the volume buttons - the installation is unsuccessful.
Phone мodel OnePlus 8 Pro

Reactions: trongthanh

subham619

May 23, 2017
OnePlus 8

Can you please elaborate on how you were able to hide the status bar? The fullscreen experience is just beautiful.

I used G-Visual Mod on my OnePlus 8(Oxygen OS 11) for notch killing which works fine except the clock hiding behind the notch. But failed to hide status bar even after trying many things like adb commands, SystemUI Tuner etc.

Synless

Jan 9, 2017
Hi. Just a quick message to say that this works great on a Oneplus 9 Pro (I used the 8 Pro profile). I can now enjoy games in full screen AND have a readable clock. I spend a lot of time with other magisk modules and this is the one ! Thanks you !

VioletViolin

Sep 18, 2020
Tried installing this on Arrow OS (Mi 10T Pro, android 12 with magisk canary): installation failed, followed by volume key error
Screenshot_20211101-134701_Manager.png

Reactions: Tommy0000

LOGMD

Jun 22, 2010
London
Tried installing this on Arrow OS (Mi 10T Pro, android 12 with magisk canary): installation failed, followed by volume key errorView attachment 5446325
Given OS is empty I'm assuming your on android 12, is your device pixel 5 or was that just the preset you used?
I have not updated in a while so maybe it's the volume module being out of date.

Another thing is the volume key detection is on a timer (I think) so if you press the wrong button or take too long it will fail

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    N3O (or Nitrous Oxide i guess :p)
    Who is it for:
    • devices with punchole or cutout displays
    • the black bar REALLY annoys you in landscape
    • clock behind camera annoys you just as much!
    What it does:
    • Uses full screen in landscape mode
    • respects the cutout in portrait to ensure a normal status bar
    Device Support
    • Preset for Oneplus 8/8T & 8 Pro
    • Preset for Pixel 5
    • Other devices via custom config (left/right cutouts, center cutouts experimental)
    • Custom mode for other left or right cutouts without presets (please share your values)
    13 - Experimental builds (here)
    12 - Experemental builds (here)
    11 - AOSP based Roms
    10 - Currently not supported (can install but bootloops reported)

Nonsense:
    The only nonsesne here, is that devices that switch resolution need to have a specific cutout to match it. if you dynamically change resolution using tasker you need to switch overlays when you do so (seems to not affect powersave mode when at full resolution)

For up-to date information on features in the module and how to use it, check the documentation on git here

Where do i get it:

Recognition
    • Gnonymous7 for Script base and install logic
    • Zackptg5 for MMT-Ex template.
    • topjohnwu Magisk.
    • All the testers and xda for providing a platform to test on
    @LOGMD and for anyone with the script running past the volume check in the Magisk app, install Fox's Magisk Module Manager from github and flash the module through that.
    I was having the same issue. I'm on Canary Magisk and Android 13 and installation works with Fox's Mmm. It also works on Android 12 and Canary. Plus now that modules aren't provided through the Magisk app anymore, it's nice to have a repo to get modules from.
    You should try submitting your module to that LOGMD. People who weren't getting their modules accepted to the old official repo are getting accepted there. The requirements for the official one I never understood.
    (edited to include the link)

Full immersive still isn't possible, the status bar ain't going nowhere with their customisations.

I tried many days to find where they force the status bar to always reserve space in portrait but had no luck. Closest I got was to disable all the oneplus overlays but then the system started behaving strangely
    More like a first beta than a developers preview. No bugs at all yet, but unlike the first betas, very few new things yet.
    Most DP1s have a few bugs, but not so much with 12
    I usually wait until DP2, but I have 2 backup devices right now; one which I use at work 5 days a week (Pixel 2XL), so I took the plunge on DP2 for 12
    The other device is a HTC 10 that I also use 5 days a week, but just for an MP3 player at work for my BT speaker.

EDIT: Shame to see what problem exists exactly? I have no issues

They are mainly nitpicks but things that would make it perfect.

changing resolutions means changing cutout, it's annoying but not end of the world and can be automated via tasker.

Installation for custom values is ok but I would prefer I build an app that launches during install to configure the cutout with previews etc

Center cutouts don't work, but they are mostly Samsung devices that do this feature anyways

And the anti aliasing around the notch, against a white background you can see it's all jagged. When the previous overlay was there they draw a cutout just a little larger than the cutout so it appears smooth. Again can probably fixed with an app/ service that draws on the screen to achieve it.

But for a large majority of use-cases this suffices 😂

I mean I'm software developer professionally so I can just figure these things out, but to really give people the the value out of their devices it's the ones that just learned how to install magisk without bricking that It should be easy for 😂 either way. All to happen if I ever have time to improve this.

Right now the 120hz stuck on the always on display for oneplus 8 pro is my next annoyance. The drain is unbearable with AOD but compared to my mate 20 pro it sipped power on AOD

P.s. if anyone has some suggested presets to load for devices not covered please let me know. Popular devices I'll add to the installer but any other device I'll just include values for the custom setup in the readme
    Damn it... :( So you think that immersive mode and android 11 are an impossible thing?

Unlikely 😉 not impossible. Just better hope the code doesn't sit in java files because editing smali files are a real pain.

I'm probably gonna do another dump of all files from the latest update at some point and extract all apks etc and do a scan in the contents of all files.

I have a pretty fast 3000mbps ssd so any windows/Linux tools people know for taking advantage while searching let me know