[Module][Pie/Q][3.1.7.1] QuickSwitch - Universal Quickstep Switcher

Search This thread

SB13X

Jun 14, 2010
England, UK
Love the module and enjoy using the more aesthetically pleasing One Plus Launcher.

Yet I have an issue, not major, but an issue nonetheless, using split screen breaks it.

Doing so causes you to be unable to scroll through the apps and it springing back to the last used. Only way to stop the behaviour is if One Plus Launcher is listed as last used and you can dismiss it and still select another app to split screen. If not, then you have to come out of split screen open multi tasking and closing all as the springing back attitude persists until you do so.

Thanks for the work you've done with this though ?

tres_linguas

Apr 27, 2017
Any news for the oneplus launcher? I mean a version later than 3.1.5 in which possibly notification access is fixed :eek:

#SB13X I also find OPLauncher very aesthetic :good: but the lack of notification dots annoys me more than the split screen/ recents thing

Reactions: SB13X
May 17, 2015
Losing both Sim cards and long boot

I've installed Lawnchair and QuickSwitch as it was described via Magisk but after choosing Lawnchair as the recents provider, I am experiencing long boot time and after boot, none of my sim cards are detected!

Logs are attached.

Attachments

• Documents.zip
    8 KB · Views: 10

Vmb265

Jan 21, 2017
It says incompat with nova in op

I ain't talking about Nova compatibility. What I mean is that, if I have OnePlus Launcher as the recents provider, I can't set another launcher (even Lawnchair) as the default launcher and still keep the OnePlus gestures

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
  • Jan 9, 2015
    Sydney
    Love the module and enjoy using the more aesthetically pleasing One Plus Launcher.

Yet I have an issue, not major, but an issue nonetheless, using split screen breaks it.

Doing so causes you to be unable to scroll through the apps and it springing back to the last used. Only way to stop the behaviour is if One Plus Launcher is listed as last used and you can dismiss it and still select another app to split screen. If not, then you have to come out of split screen open multi tasking and closing all as the springing back attitude persists until you do so.

Thanks for the work you've done with this though ?
    That's a launcher issue which @paphonb is probably already aware of, but he won't be updating his launcher ports or fixing bugs unless it's a relatively easy fix.

I have tried this with no respite.
    Lawnchair stays as the system app and I'm unable to uninstall it
    Did you systemize the launcher some other way? Make sure it's a user app before using quickswitch with it.

Any news for the oneplus launcher? I mean a version later than 3.1.5 in which possibly notification access is fixed :eek:

#SB13X I also find OPLauncher very aesthetic :good: but the lack of notification dots annoys me more than the split screen/ recents thing
    Check my reply to SB13X.

Same thing to me on PE Pie on Moto G5S Plus...
    Any solution?
    I need logs to help fix a boot loop. But it sounds like it didn't delete overlays.list after switching providers or something.

I've installed Lawnchair and QuickSwitch as it was described via Magisk but after choosing Lawnchair as the recents provider, I am experiencing long boot time and after boot, none of my sim cards are detected!

Logs are attached.
    This RIL bug is getting annoying. It seems like a rom issue with not being able to handle third party vendor overlays or something.

I ain't talking about Nova compatibility. What I mean is that, if I have OnePlus Launcher as the recents provider, I can't set another launcher (even Lawnchair) as the default launcher and still keep the OnePlus gestures
    That's not how it's supposed to work anyway. You are supposed to use the recents provider as the default launcher. Not mix and match.

Sent from my LGE Nexus 5X using XDA Labs

kash664

Aug 27, 2014
    That's a launcher issue which @paphonb is probably already aware of, but he won't be updating his launcher ports or fixing bugs unless it's a relatively easy fix.

Did you systemize the launcher some other way? Make sure it's a user app before using quickswitch with it.

Check my reply to SB13X.

I need logs to help fix a boot loop. But it sounds like it didn't delete overlays.list after switching providers or something.

This RIL bug is getting annoying. It seems like a rom issue with not being able to handle third party vendor overlays or something.

That's not how it's supposed to work anyway. You are supposed to use the recents provider as the default launcher. Not mix and match.

I did not make it a system app by other way. I installed it simply and then flashed quickswitch which made it a system app. Now neither I can make lawnchair a user app nor I can uninstall it

AyieStyx

Feb 17, 2012
    Batu Pahat
    Send your /system/build.prop please.

Thanks. I'll add it but is there an ro.sky.version prop or something similar? It would the build.flavor be the best to add?

You can check for /system/etc/init.d (telegram x has a file viewer that can view the dir on an unrooted device.

I need the debug logs from /documents/quickstepswitcher/ although I think I already know what the issue is and I'll be looking into it at a later date.
    hi sorry for late response. here the file as attached

Attachments

• build.prop.txt
      11.4 KB · Views: 8

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
    San Antonio, TX

Check my reply to SB13X.

Hey Skittles,

I just wanted to say thanks for all your work on this and that I really enjoy this app and appreciate how good of a job you've done, both with developing this and staying so communicative to the community.

I've been having a few random reboots, with the factory Pixel image, a custom ROM, and LineageOS 16. The next time it happens, I'll pull QS logs again and upload them, but I've been able to limit this down to always (and only) happen when I have this Magisk module installed.

Not posting that last part with the intent of advice/support, just letting you know in case this is a common occurrence for others. Could very well be related to Lawnchair, since it's in Alpha. I just really wanted to extend some appreciation for your work on this project!

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
  • Jan 9, 2015
    Sydney
    I did not make it a system app by other way. I installed it simply and then flashed quickswitch which made it a system app. Now neither I can make lawnchair a user app nor I can uninstall it
    Switch providers to make it a user app again.

hi sorry for late response. here the file as attached

Thanks.

Hey Skittles,

I just wanted to say thanks for all your work on this and that I really enjoy this app and appreciate how good of a job you've done, both with developing this and staying so communicative to the community.

I've been having a few random reboots, with the factory Pixel image, a custom ROM, and LineageOS 16. The next time it happens, I'll pull QS logs again and upload them, but I've been able to limit this down to always (and only) happen when I have this Magisk module installed.

Not posting that last part with the intent of advice/support, just letting you know in case this is a common occurrence for others. Could very well be related to Lawnchair, since it's in Alpha. I just really wanted to extend some appreciation for your work on this project!

Interesting. Quick switch logs won't help with finding why a reboot happens. You'd need to be grabbing a logcat when it happens so might be annoying to get the timing correct. Which pixel device? I plan to get a pixel 3 in the coming months so I may be able to debug it myself.

phishfi

Jul 7, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    Interesting. Quick switch logs won't help with finding why a reboot happens. You'd need to be grabbing a logcat when it happens so might be annoying to get the timing correct. Which pixel device? I plan to get a pixel 3 in the coming months so I may be able to debug it myself.

Pixel 1. I might do the logcat thing, but it's just such a rarity that I don't know how I'd successfully get a logcat with relevant data. In my experience, it takes AT LEAST an hour or so of no activity/screen off before it happens. In any case, I'm ok with it the way it is, I'm definitely thinking this is something that will work itself out over time, but if it doesn't any I get some time to just sit back and troubleshoot, then I'll definitely grab a logcat.

Skittles9823

Recognized Contributor
  • Jan 9, 2015
    Sydney
    Pixel 1. I might do the logcat thing, but it's just such a rarity that I don't know how I'd successfully get a logcat with relevant data. In my experience, it takes AT LEAST an hour or so of no activity/screen off before it happens. In any case, I'm ok with it the way it is, I'm definitely thinking this is something that will work itself out over time, but if it doesn't any I get some time to just sit back and troubleshoot, then I'll definitely grab a logcat.
    Awesome. Thanks.

Great module but I am wondering why it doesn't work with Nova launcher
    Because it's not module side which launches get support. The launcher has to add the relevant code to support and optimise itself as a recents provider.

I'm sure more launchers will follow suit when Lawnchair V2s source gets released.

Nova will not be one of those launchers though as it's "Not a root enabled launcher". Whatever that means ?

Cuffuffles

Dec 18, 2014
    Awesome. Thanks.

Because it's not module side which launches get support. The launcher has to add the relevant code to support and optimise itself as a recents provider.

I'm sure more launchers will follow suit when Lawnchair V2s source gets released.

Nova will not be one of those launchers though as it's "Not a root enabled launcher". Whatever that means ?

That's an interesting stance for them to take since they've supported the root method of double tap to lock since I can remember

kash664

Aug 27, 2014
    Switch providers to make it a user app again.

Thanks.

I've tried switching provider, uninstalling quickswitch, reinstalling again, again made lawnchair as default ,agian switched the recent to pixel launcher. But still the issue is same. I'm neither unable to make it a user app and nor I can uninstall it

aiseno

Mar 14, 2013
    Just want to say thank you Skittles! You're awesome. Got AOSP pie by Alberto on my Moto z play. With your quickswitch and community in xda it bring the latest features for my 3 years old devices.. [emoji22] awesome job guys! many thanks!

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr.Jay

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      QuickSwitch - A universal quickstep switcher

QuickSwitch is a module which allows the user to change which launcher has access to quickstep (Pie recents). It's future proof, detects which launchers are capable of being the recents provider, and is fairly simple to use.

Requirements:
      - Android Pie/Q
      - Magisk 19.0+
      - A launcher which can be used as a recents provider.

Installation:
      To use the module, simply follow the instructions:

1. Flash this module.
      2. Reboot.
      3. Open the QuickSwitch app that was installed.
      4. Select a different launcher as your recents provider.
      5. Reboot.
      6. Verify your new recents provider is correct.
      7. Set the new recents provider as the default launcher.
      8. Profit.

After switching providers and rebooting, make sure the current provider is the default home app and you should notice that whilst in the launcher the back button is gone and you'll have the full Pie recents experience.

To switch providers after the initial install just open the app, select a new provider and reboot.

Updating:
      To update, just flash the module over itself.

Uninstallation:
      To uninstall the module, use the bin icon in magisk manager. Your recents provider will go back to default and your launcher will return to being a user app.

Logging:
      QuickSwitch saves all its logs to /data/adb/modules/quickstepswitcher/logs/ and /sdcard/Documents/quickstepswitcher/ all logs belonging to QuickSwitch begin with quickstepswitcher. If you have any issues with the module send all log files in a compressed archive.

Compatibility:
      As stated earlier, the QuickSwitch app auto-detects which launchers are compatible so it's going to be difficult to say a definitive list. But for an easy explanation, I'll just say that all stock Pie launchers will work as long as they are either ported to other devices or are installed by default on your device.
      As for custom launchers, you'll have to install them and see if they appear in the QuickSwitch app.

Disclaimer:
      No, Nova Launcher is NOT compatible and from what they've stated on Twitter, I doubt they will ever be compatible.

Misc:
      - You can grab the source for the module here

The SystemUI option will grant you Oreo style recents.

Credits:
      - @paphonb for the QuickSwitch app and the initial concept and idea of a universal Quickstep enabler.

- @osm0sis for assistance with getting 3.x.x to work without having to go permissive, and for his and @topjohnwu's zipsigner

- The Lawnchair and Hyperion team's for initial testing of the module.

Download:
      Download the latest version from the Magisk repo.

An archive for older versions can be found here.

Donations:
      - If you wish to donate to @paphonb for creating the QuickSwitch app you can do so here.
      - Or if you wish to sponsor me on GitHub for making the module, scripts, and handling support you can do so here.

Release details:
      Current version: 3.1.7.1
      Last updated: 31-3-2021

Created: 28-12-2018
      FAQ

What does this module do?
      The only thing this module does is changes which launcher controls your recents

Can I get app actions, or recents text/picture selection with this module?
      This module doesn't control what features a launcher has. All it does is grant the launcher more permissions and enable a launchers access to recents.

How to get Oreo/Oreo Grid recents?
      For Oreo recents simply set your recents provider to SystemUI and reboot.
      If the SystemUI option doesn't show up it's because you're on Android 10 and the Oreo recents fallback has been removed from AOSP.

For grid recents follow these instructions:
      1. Set the recents provider to SystemUI
      2. Tap the three dot menu and toggle "Enable grid recents" to on
      3. Reboot.

The FAQ will grow as more questions come to mind.

OEM Launcher Ports

You MUST follow this guide for the ports to work correctly!
      1. Install QuickSwitch
      2. Install the launcher apk, don't set it as your default launcher.
      3. With any other launcher, open QuickSwitch
      4. Set your desired launcher as your recents provider.
      5. Reboot.
      6. Verify the launcher is the current recents provider in QuickSwitch
      7. Set the selected as your default launcher
      8. Profit

Known compatible launchers

Launcher previews in hide tags as they are rather big
      Launchers available in the attachments have been ported by @paphonb

OEM launchers
      OnePlus Launcher port by @paphonb
      This launcher is one of the most unique ports currently available. Primarily because it ports almost all of the gestures it uses on OOS. All except the back gesture work (if you'd like to add it you must use something like Fluid Navigation Gestures). Besides the gestures it doesn't come with a dock in recents. Simply a clear all FAB and three dot menus on each app in recents.
      OnePlus_Launcher.png

Pixel Launcher
      The generic Pixel launcher everyone knows and loves. A simple UI but with compatibility of every Actions Services function including recents text/picture selection. Something no launcher has ported yet.
      It can be downloaded, here
      Pixel_Launcher.png

ZenUI Launcher port by @paphonb
      This launcher from ASUS is another unique launcher. It's recents UI is similar to Samsung's recents UI but it accommodates big screens with everything accessible at the bottom of the screen. It also comes with some other goodies.
      ASUS_Launcher.png

Custom launchers
      hyperion launcher
      hyperion is a custom launcher from the developers of Substratum. It features lots of custom features and a beautiful design.
      hyperion.png

Lawnchair Launcher
      Lawnchair was the first custom launcher to attain Pie recents functionality with the help of paphonb, Deletescape and myself.
      It features several unique additions including blur in recents when it's the recents provider, as well as custom roundness in recents.
      Lawnchair.png

Oreo recents
      Oreo recents
      QuickSwitch has the functionality to provide any device with Oreo style recents by selecting the SystemUI option and rebooting.
      Oreo_recents.png

Oreo Grid recents
      You can also get grid style Oreo recents if you follow the instructions in the FAQ.
      Oreo_grid.png
      QuickSwitch 3.0.0 released

Changelog:
      - completely rewrite the app and the module backend. Now the app uses a shell binary as the backend to
      remove the need for bootscripts
      - re-add the $MODDIR/product/overlay install path as the Magisk issue has been fixed
      - added a check for MIUI which will abort the installation of the module

Been a while since an update, but a few days short of the 1 year anniversary of when QuickSwitch was first released, we finally release 3.0.0

Sent from my Google Pixel 3a XL using XDA Labs
      QuickSwitch 3.0.4 released

Samsung users rejoice. With the help of @osm0sis I've removed the need for permissive selinux while the backend script ran, so there are no longer any dependencies on that.

I'm now also signing the overlay using zipsigner compiled by osm0sis so if there were any issues I wasn't aware of since the release of 3.x.x and they were caused by an unsigned overlay, they're now fixed. As far as I know however it shouldn't have been an issue.

Another thing to take note of is that I've talked to an omni rom developer and they're doing something similar to what certain pixel experience device trees have done and the overlay won't work on it. I've had a tester try omni and I've given them a few test builds in an attempt to work around it but from what I can tell it's just not possible to fix it on my side. (Said attempted fixes aren't in QuickSwitch, and won't be added btw)

I've not blocked omni, just incase it works on some devices but don't get your hopes up if it hasn't worked in the past.

Changelog:
      - remove selinux dependant commands in favour of grepping packages.xml and listing the contents of /data/app to find launcher dirs
      - sign the overlay again
      - I'd like to thank @osm0sis for helping with this update

QuickSwitch 3.0.5 released

Changelog:
      - fix for the launcher not getting copied over and aborting recents provider change
      - fix dalvikvm invokation for Android 10 (-Xnodex2oat is removed upstream)

The last change is just an update to zipsigner

Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone