• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MODULE] Scoped Storage Disabler [11]

Search This thread

gringo80

Jun 8, 2018
As many of you know, Scoped Storage aka "FUSE" or the new "Apple-Like Secure Storage" made by Google, was officially implemented on Android 11 ... just to make our android life, more difficult !

Not only we can no longer fully manage our own phone storage, but many apps were broken and don't have access to our own files (Music Players, Emulators, File Manager, ... etc).

Scoped Storage also have a huge impact on file transfer (USB, Copy/Past, DLNA, ...etc) ... it slowdown very well the speed !

To stop this mess, i have made a simple Magisk module to bring back the legacy support for the old sdcardfs !

For noobs, what does it mean in english : you have access and control to all your folders on the internal/external storage !

But first, you have to check if your custom rom / rooted oem OS still have the support for sdcardfs, by using this command in terminal or adb shell (computer) :

mount I grep sdcardfs

Terminal_1.png

If you see "sdcardfs", then your OS still support the switch from fuse to sdcardfs :

Terminal_2.png

Attachments

• [Magisk]_FUSE_DISABLER.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

gringo80

Jun 8, 2018
Your phone will restart automatically after applying this module due to the virtualization switch from fuse to sdcardfs !

If you can't see sdcardfs in terminal, then your custom rom doesn't support the switch, but can be easily re-implemented by your rom developers !

Last edited:
Reactions: duttyend

pnin

Aug 26, 2010
ZTE Axon 7
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
I tried your module in my Mi Pad 4 (clover) with unofficial LineageOS 17.1 from 20200512 and, even with Root Explorer and Simple Gallery, I'm unable to browse media in external storage attached to the USB port.

Is this a known limitation? Cause everything seems to work with internal storage and card reader, even before installing this module...

gringo80

Jun 8, 2018
LOS 17.1 doesn't support Scoped Storage !!!

This module is for A11

maybe your kernel doesn't support OTG, grab your fstab here from :
/vendor/etc/...fstab !

Or

your cable is not a true OTG cable : try the same cable in another device that support OTG too !

Tips :
use your OTG cable in TWRP menu, to see if you can read something through the cable !

Let me know the result !

Your problem is likely the OTG support and not the sdcardfs !!!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Worked great, only problem is that Facebook Messenger stops working if you install it after the module. If you install Messenger first you just can't send any photos after you flash the module.

gringo80

Jun 8, 2018
I just disabled the moduled,and re-enabled it when I need it.(you have to reboot every time you enable or disable it).
You don't have to do that everytime, just :

. sync everything in facebook messenger to you account (settings>account)
. clear data & cache for facebook messenger
. launch again facebook messenger and log in again !

AnonVendetta

Apr 29, 2016
Portland, OR
I just tried this module on my Galaxy Tab S7+ running stock Android 11 firmware. i was expecting a bootloop, but Android started fine. However, at first the module didnt seem to be working, everything still felt restricted as before (mostly not being able to see the full contents of certain directories, like /Android/data/ on MicroSD). And running 'mount grep | fuse' in a terminal still returned results related to internal/external storage. i did run the grep sdcardfs command before installing the module, i got plenty of references. it seem my firmware is 'strange' in that it uses a mix of fuse/sdcardfs for certain things.

Anyway, since i didnt get stuck in a bootloop, i got the feeling that the property being set by the module wasnt actually taking effect despite multiple reboots. So i hunted down all the build.prop/default.prop files in /system, /product, and /vendor. Then i edited them by adding the persist line of the module to the end of each file, followed by backing up/replacing the original files and rebooting. After rebooting it seems i can access all data/media/obb subdirectories of Android, in both internal/external storage.

i still have more tests to do, i'm not fully convinced that the module and my edits are working. and i need to narrow down exactly which of the files need to be edited, so that i can put the rest back to their original state.

For the preliminary tests i've done so far, i tested with X-Plore, Total Commander, and Root Explorer. I will soon try various things in other apps, to see what the extent of access actually is, and to see if any actions are blocked.

And before i forget, after all this, i still get fuse references when using 'mount | grep fuse', but none of them seem to be related to internal/external storage. The output of the command now is different from what i saw before editing the files.

i'm just wondering if some users can give me ideas regarding things to try, so that i can either confirm or deny that the module and my edits are doing what i expect (returning full read/write access of all internal/external storage directories to me, the device owner, rather than being restricted by Android).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: oRAZY

gringo80

Jun 8, 2018
I just tried this module on my Galaxy Tab S7+ running stock Android 11 firmware. i was expecting a bootloop, but Android started fine. However, at first the module didnt seem to be working, everything still felt restricted as before (mostly not being able to see the full contents of certain directories, like /Android/data/ on MicroSD). And running 'mount grep | fuse' in a terminal still returned results related to internal/external storage. i did run the grep sdcardfs command before installing the module, i got plenty of references. it seem my firmware is 'strange' in that it uses a mix of fuse/sdcardfs for certain things.

Anyway, since i didnt get stuck in a bootloop, i got the feeling that the property being set by the module wasnt actually taking effect despite multiple reboots. So i hunted down all the build.prop/default.prop files in /system, /product, and /vendor. Then i edited them by adding the persist line of the module to the end of each file, followed by backing up/replacing the original files and rebooting. After rebooting it seems i can access all data/media/obb subdirectories of Android, in both internal/external storage.

i still have more tests to do, i'm not fully convinced that the module and my edits are working. and i need to narrow down exactly which of the files need to be edited, so that i can put the rest back to their original state.

For the preliminary tests i've done so far, i tested with X-Plore, Total Commander, and Root Explorer. I will soon try various things in other apps, to see what the extent of access actually is, and to see if any actions are blocked.

And before i forget, after all this, i still get fuse references when using 'mount | grep fuse', but none of them seem to be related to internal/external storage. The output of the command now is different from what i saw before editing the files.

i'm just wondering if some users can give me ideas regarding things to try, so that i can either confirm or deny that the module and my edits are doing what i expect (returning full read/write access of all internal/external storage directories to me, the device owner, rather than being restricted by Android).

Thanks!
... as stated in the second post, your rom developer must add the support for sdcardfs if it is not natively supported !

oRAZY

Jan 1, 2016
Hi,
seems to be working great for me. File access speeds and loading of folders are improved a lot. Some apps recognize duplicate folders/files . In my case poweramp. Not all items are duplicate. But most of them.

$ mount | grep fuse
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)

Reports FUSE having no links. Sdcardfs returns a lot. (Expected behavior there)

$ mount | grep fuse
none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)

$ mount | grep sdcardfs
/data/media on /mnt/runtime/default/emulated type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=1015,multiuser,mask=6,derive_gid,default_normal,unshared_obb)
/data/media on /mnt/runtime/read/emulated type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,multiuser,mask=23,derive_gid,default_normal,unshared_obb)
/data/media on /mnt/runtime/write/emulated type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,multiuser,mask=7,derive_gid,default_normal,unshared_obb)
/data/media on /mnt/runtime/full/emulated type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,multiuser,mask=7,derive_gid,default_normal,unshared_obb)
/mnt/media_rw/7470-1AF4 on /mnt/runtime/default/7470-1AF4 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=1015,mask=6)
/mnt/media_rw/7470-1AF4 on /mnt/runtime/read/7470-1AF4 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=18)
/mnt/media_rw/7470-1AF4 on /mnt/runtime/write/7470-1AF4 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=18)
/mnt/media_rw/7470-1AF4 on /mnt/runtime/full/7470-1AF4 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=9997,mask=7)
/data/media on /storage/emulated type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=1015,multiuser,mask=6,derive_gid,default_normal,unshared_obb)
/mnt/media_rw/7470-1AF4 on /storage/7470-1AF4 type sdcardfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,fsuid=1023,fsgid=1023,gid=1015,mask=6)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211201-115626845.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-115626845.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20211201-115620500.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-115620500.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20211201-115612062.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-115612062.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20211201-131826690.jpg
    Screenshot_20211201-131826690.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just disabled the moduled,and re-enabled it when I need it.(you have to reboot every time you enable or disable it).
    You don't have to do that everytime, just :

. sync everything in facebook messenger to you account (settings>account)
    . clear data & cache for facebook messenger
    . launch again facebook messenger and log in again !

Thanks!

Thanks!
    ... as stated in the second post, your rom developer must add the support for sdcardfs if it is not natively supported !
    As many of you know, Scoped Storage aka "FUSE" or the new "Apple-Like Secure Storage" made by Google, was officially implemented on Android 11 ... just to make our android life, more difficult !

Not only we can no longer fully manage our own phone storage, but many apps were broken and don't have access to our own files (Music Players, Emulators, File Manager, ... etc).

Scoped Storage also have a huge impact on file transfer (USB, Copy/Past, DLNA, ...etc) ... it slowdown very well the speed !

To stop this mess, i have made a simple Magisk module to bring back the legacy support for the old sdcardfs !

For noobs, what does it mean in english : you have access and control to all your folders on the internal/external storage !

But first, you have to check if your custom rom / rooted oem OS still have the support for sdcardfs, by using this command in terminal or adb shell (computer) :

mount I grep sdcardfs

Terminal_1.png

If you see "sdcardfs", then your OS still support the switch from fuse to sdcardfs :

Terminal_2.png
    Your phone will restart automatically after applying this module due to the virtualization switch from fuse to sdcardfs !

If you can't see sdcardfs in terminal, then your custom rom doesn't support the switch, but can be easily re-implemented by your rom developers !
    Phonograph have access again to all my storage !

Phonograph.png
    Reserved

... and I have access again to our beloved path :

Root_Explorer.png
    LOS 17.1 doesn't support Scoped Storage !!!

This module is for A11

maybe your kernel doesn't support OTG, grab your fstab here from :
    /vendor/etc/...fstab !

Or

your cable is not a true OTG cable : try the same cable in another device that support OTG too !

Tips :
    use your OTG cable in TWRP menu, to see if you can read something through the cable !

Let me know the result !

Your problem is likely the OTG support and not the sdcardfs !!!