• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MODULE/SYSTEM] NanoDroid 23.1.2.20210117 (microG, pseudo-debloat, F-Droid + apps)

Search This thread

zedoc

Dec 5, 2014

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
So there is currently no way to get signature spoofing to work on android R without Magisk? Or is there a manual process?

andy356

Jul 5, 2016
@Setialpha Do you consider Android 11 support stable yet? I see there are still some bug fixes and changes queued up in the changelog for the next version.

I'm on LOS4microg 17.1 with Nanodroid, and would like to upgrade to 18.1, provided I can safely flash Nanodroid on it.

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
@Setialpha Do you consider Android 11 support stable yet? I see there are still some bug fixes and changes queued up in the changelog for the next version.

I'm on LOS4microg 17.1 with Nanodroid, and would like to upgrade to 18.1, provided I can safely flash Nanodroid on it.
Main part missing for android 11 is a stable patcher. You don't need that for lineage.microg.org . What components of nanodroid do you use?

Reactions: andy356

sn00x

Oct 9, 2006
For me installing the patched PlayStore with NanoDroid on a freshly installed LOS 18.1 always ended with an unbootable system (the LOS boot animation never completed). However installing the playstore with nift4's microG Installer Revived did work. But it installs DroidGuard as a system app and furthermore renders OTA upgrades of GmsCore useless, because it overwrites the one which is already included in LOS for microG.

I ended up creating my own Magisk module fakestore2playstore, that simply replaces FakeStore with Nanolx's patched PlayStore.

@Setialpha I'm not sure what causes NanoDroid's the boot problem with LOS 18.1 for microG, but I assume it may be because of missing permissions. I guess after including these permissions, NanoDroid should work fine on LOS18.1 for microG.

ninevoltblock

Oct 30, 2018
Xiaomi Poco F1
OnePlus 8T
I am struggling trying to install LineageOS 18.1 & NanoDroid on a OnePlus 8T (A/B slots, virtual partitions from Super partition, TWRP limited beta).
Neither TWRP nor LineageOS Recovery would install the NanoDroid zip. There is no OrangeFox for this device.
I succeeded to install LOS for microg, adb push the NanoDroid.zip and install from Magisk/"Install from storage". However, it ignored nanodroid-apps and nanodroid-setup from the same folder. Yet the config folders listed in Applications.md are read-only or do not even exist:

/data/media/0
/sdcard1
/external_sd
/data
/system/addon.d/
/tmp

Also, the permissions RECEIVE_SMS and ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION are unavailable, which may be the cause why some apps are stuck on startup (F-Droid) or crashing (including Magisk Manager). It's a known issue but the suggested fix does not work for me, as again the given paths are inaccessible or non-existing.

Do you know an easy way to get NanoDroid installed (controlled by nanodroid-setup and -apps files) on LOS18.1 on such a device?

Last edited:

kurtn

Jan 28, 2017
Small town in Bavaria
I am struggling trying to install LineageOS 18.1 & NanoDroid on a OnePlus 8T (A/B slots, virtual partitions from Super partition, TWRP limited beta).
Neither TWRP nor LineageOS Recovery would install the NanoDroid zip. There is no OrangeFox for this device.
I succeeded to install LOS for microg, adb push the NanoDroid.zip and install from Magisk/"Install from storage". However, it ignored nanodroid-apps and nanodroid-setup from the same folder. Yet the config folders listed in Applications.md are read-only or do not even exist:

/data/media/0
/sdcard1
/external_sd
/data
/system/addon.d/
/tmp

Also, the permissions RECEIVE_SMS and ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION are unavailable, which may be the cause why some apps are stuck on startup (F-Droid) or crashing (including Magisk Manager). It's a known issue but the suggested fix does not work for me, as again the given paths are inaccessible or non-existing.

Do you know an easy way to get NanoDroid installed (controlled by nanodroid-setup and -apps files) on LOS18.1 on such a device?
How about not installing nanodroid on lineage.microg.org ? There is a magisk module for patched päaystore. Everything else can be installed as user app.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NanoDroid

NanoDroid is a installer for various OpenSource related things, most noticably microG and F-Droid. It supports direct /system installation, both devices with or without A/B partition scheme, aswell as Magisk Mode (module) installation. It also includes several tools (eg. GNU Bash, shell utilities, more), scripts, fonts, sounds and additional features (system debloating, init scripts, automatic logcat creation), aswell as a companion F-Droid Repository.

Furthermore it allows the user to do fine-graded installations using configuration files, which allow to choose what to install, or if several alternatives are available, which of them, see "Alter Installation" in the full documentation (link at the end of this post).

In order for full microG experience NanoDroid contains a modified Play Store which allows (in-)app-purchases with microG, which would normally not be possible. It also tries to remove all previously installed GApps on it's own. For ROMs without builtin signature spoofing support NanoDroid includes an on-device Patcher which tries to patch your ROM from TWRP.

Versions until 15.1 were called NanoMod, starting with 16.0 they're called NanoDroid.

NanoDroid does now have a companion F-Droid Repository for easy updates of Play Store (patched with (in-)app-purchase support) and MPV builds Repository Info-Page

Current Release

Stable: 23.1.1.20210117 "BusyCompat"
    Beta: --- (---)

Supported Android Versions

NanoDroid officially supports the following Android versions:

• 4.4 / SDK 19 (KitKat)
      • System Mode only (Magisk does not support KitKat)
    • 5.0 / SDK 21 (Lollipop)
    • 5.1 / SDK 22 (Lollipop)
    • 6.0 / SDK 23 (Marshmallow)
    • 7.0 / SDK 24 (Nougat)
    • 7.1 / SDK 25 (Nougat)
    • 8.0 / SDK 26 (Oreo)
    • 8.1 / SDK 27 (Oreo)
    • 9.0 / SDK 28 (Pie)
    • 10.0 / SDK 29
    • 11.0 / SDK 30 (R)
      • Patcher does not work from TWRP
      • Patcher works from Magisk if your ROM's services.jar already contains classes.dex
      • Deodex Instructions
    earlier versions will never officially be supported (you may still report bugs, though).

Future versions will be officially supported, eventually.

Summary

NanoDroid can be installed as a Magisk Module or directly to /system, though a bit functionality is only available with Magisk. It must be installed from TWRP!

NanoDroid includes

• microG and it's companions
      • on-device framework-patcher for microG support (signature spoofing)
    • F-Droid and it's privileged extension
      • modified Play Store to allow (in-)app-purchases with Magisk
        • alternatively Aurora Store can be installed instead
    • custom init scripts
    • pseudo-debloat feature
    • several Open Source applications
      • include replacements for the pseudo-debloated applications
      • full list of included applications
    Packages

Magisk Modules

Module packages, flashing through TWRP recommended, flashing through Magisk Manager possible starting with version 22.6.91 (22.7-beta2).

• NanoDroid: includes
      • everything mentioned in the Summary
    • NanoDroid-microG: includes
      • microG and it's companions
      • GNU Bash
      • pseudo-debloat feature
      • app stores
    • NanoDroid-fdroid: includes
      • F-Droid and it's privileged extension
    • NanoDroid-BromiteWebView: includes
      • Bromite WebView
    • NanoDroid-OsmAnd: includes
      • OpenStreetMap for Android (OsmAnd+)

Extras

Extra packages, flashing through TWRP recommended, flashing through Magisk Manager possible starting with version 22.6.91 (22.7-beta2).

• NanoDroid-pacher: includes
      • on-device framework-patcher (signature spoofing support)
    • NanoDroid-systest: includes
      • System Test script which generates a log to aid issue reporting
    • NanoDroid-uninstaller: includes
      • uninstalls all NanoMod/NanoDroid Magisk Modules
      • uninstalls NanoMod/NanoDroid installed in System Mode
      • uninstalls NanoMod/NanoDroid-Patcher addon.d environment

The GitLab repository contains the full documentation with infos about

• more detailed info what's included
    • detailed installation instructions
    • setup instructions for microG
    • list of known Issues (and fixes/workarounds)
    • more
    >> Full Documentation
    I never had a look about how much users NanoDroid might have gotten meanwhile, but I checked the stats, just for fun. So, if you wanna know, I'm leaving this here.

Just to make it clear: no personal information is stored, only basic stuff, like country of origin, Browser agent or what has been accessed, no tracking or profiling.

All values from May 1st to May 24th, for HTTPS access only (HTTP access to my site is down to less than 5 %, so I didn't bother).

NanoDroid (Zips):
    - Full/Stable: ~29.300 (!!)
    - Full/Beta: ~500
    - microG/Stable: ~16.500 (!!)
    - microG/Beta: ~1.000

NanoDroid F-Droid repo:
    - F-Droid repo update checks: ~88.000
    - custom GmsCore installs: ~4.000
    - patched Play Store installs: ~3.500
    - unofficial MPV build installs: ~1.350

Access by country (Zips):
    - unknown (unresolved, Tor, VPN, or unknown to statistic software): 52 %
    - Germany 5 %
    - Brazil 4 %

Access by country (F-Droid):
    - unknown (unresolved, Tor, VPN, or unknown to statistic software): 30 %
    - Germany 11 %
    - Russia 4 %

Top referers:
    - XDA
    - Miui Browser 'Hot'
    - 4PDA

OMG, I'm working on a project which attracts more than 45.000 users (active users of course unknown). I never thought NanoDroid would become this huge.

Thanks a lot for your ongoing support!
    Hi everyone,

I know I've been inactive for about 2 or 3 months here.

Those who follow the git repository might already know that some groundbreaking work was going on since beginning of August.

A new beta release 22.6.91 (= 22.7-beta2) will drop this weekend. What's to expect:

- full support for Android 10 (many issues resolved)
    - full support for Android 10 **if deodexed** in the Patcher
    - flashing all Packages (except the Uninstaller, needs a few changes, still) through Magisk Manager, this includes the Patcher aswell (yes, yes!)
    - more. See ChangeLog.md for the full list.

I won't go into reading the past 10+ pages, if there are any unresolved issues or questions, feel free to post them again (or in case of issues even better: create a ticket over at gitlab, with logs included).