• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MODULE] Tethering Enabler for Magisk v10/v11

Search This thread

schleima

Feb 11, 2013
Thank you so much for this!!

I haven't been able to take a custom rom on my Pixel 2 XL due to the fact that I keep losing my LTE signal. I can root the factory rom, however so Magisk install worked perfectly for me. Magisk 17.1.

For those unsure how to do this, simply download the tiny modified tethering_enabler.zip file that can be found on post #76 (I downloaded it into my "downloads" folder, for ease of finding it. Open the Magisk app. Tap the 3 bars in the upper left corner, and tap "Modules". Tap the yellow "+" key at the bottom, and press the 3 bars again, then tap "Downloads". A terminal screen will open. Reboot the phone, and you should have full tethering capabilities!

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

I have created a magisk module which enables tethering on phones where it's been disabled by the manufacturer/provider. Please post here if you have a tethering-disabled phone and can test the attached module. It should only work if the tethering has been locked down by your phone manufacturer, it will probably not help you if your provider is blocking tethering.

There are two zip files attached to this thread:
TetheringEnabler.zip -- is magisk v6 compatible.
Tethering_Enabler-10.0.0.zip -- is magisk v10 (and later) compatible.

Please post back if you have a phone with tethering disabled and it helps you, I will then push to have it listed in the official repo. I have no tethering-locked phone so I can't test it myself.
Thanks!

Thanks so much for this! Could you update the initial post with the updated zip that can found on post #76? This little zip file has saved me a huge amount of headaches.

sagar2801

Aug 9, 2011
New York
I modified stangri's module a bit so it would work in the current version of Magisk. Hopefully he doesn't mind.

It is attached to this post.

This worked for me.
Magisk: v18
Device: Pixel 2 XL
Carrier: Sprint BYOD unlimited plan

Thank you and Thanks OP.!

Edit:
this just enabled button to turn on tethering but other devices are not getting internet connection.
So this didn't work for me :(
Thanks for the effort OP :good:

Last edited:

beezar

Oct 29, 2011
This worked for me.
Magisk: v18
Device: Pixel 2 XL
Carrier: Sprint BYOD unlimited plan

Thank you and Thanks OP.!

Edit:
this just enabled button to turn on tethering but other devices are not getting internet connection.
So this didn't work for me :(
Thanks for the effort OP :good:

I have the same EXACT setup as you. It works. You probably forgot to change this setting via adb:

1) open an adb shell
2) type in "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" (without the quotes)
3) reboot

You need to only do this once, and enable the tethering enabler module. Works great.

Reactions: sagar2801

Thereplierbro

Oct 24, 2018
I have a Moto g6 with the Sprint BYOD Magisk v 18.0. I have before already edited my build prop and also have done the adb shelll command. I get a "dns_probe_finished_no_internet" error on other people's cellphones who connect to my phone.

Any advice on this? My only thoughts. This doesn't work on BYOD plan. I have edited the build prop dns recently that might have broken it. Adaway might not work.

Please help me Man. I already tried what's been shared. The net provisioning in build prop. The global dun 0 in adb. Then I flashed the module in #76.

So yeah the DNS error.

gitgt

Dec 24, 2018
I have the same EXACT setup as you. It works. You probably forgot to change this setting via adb:

1) open an adb shell
3) reboot

You need to only do this once, and enable the tethering enabler module. Works great.

Thanks

Reactions: Jsilver73

krom77

Jan 15, 2019
Many thx & suggestion

Good stuff & thanks for that ! But if you can add ethernet tethering for android tv box users ( like me ;) ) it was just awesome and never made by any others in the world i think :p

wifi internet router>---<android tv box by wifi internet connected >--- Sharing wifi connection by ethernet tethering connection---<smart tv without usb or wifi possible connection> that's what i need ;)

Jsilver73

Nov 5, 2013
Christchurch UK
Does anyone know if this allows full tethering in a 3 PAYG (UK) SIM that limits 'personal hotspot' to 30g ?

I haven't bought a SIM card yet, I mean I'm on O2 and that works fine but I'm moving somewhere where O2 had limited signal so thinking of putting 3 SIM in second slot.

Running op6t on stock oos (p of course)

eightrac

Sep 29, 2009

1) open an adb shell
3) reboot

Inserting this line of code causes boot loop on my OG pixel XL.

Jexx11

Sep 19, 2013
I just updated to the February OTA, Magisk 18.1 with manager 7.0 and using the tethering enabler 15 linked in this thread, all is working fine so far.

Pixel 2 Xl on Verizon grandfather unlimited plan.

Oh and I did NOT need to enter in the extra line of code in adb shell mentioned in this thread.

SH1M4BD3

Apr 10, 2014
Kuningan
Xiaomi Mi 9
Redmi 9
@stangri with all respect.. Lets called it some request, port the features.
So i have Xiaomi Mi6 with SD 835 chipset.. On my mi 6 (with stock Miui, even AOSP based i can share the WiFi connections
as peraonal hotspot to another devices (i said WiFI not the Cellular data).
And i got Mi 5S as my primary devices , would be that features also ported to lower/older SD Chip like 82XX series??

wabmorgan

May 4, 2011
Pixel 2xl running Feb2019 security update and latest magisk worked just fine with modified tether module from post #76 works perfectly. ?

NSGix

Mar 17, 2019
I've been on the Verizon gudp plan for a long time now, still rocking a Note 4 without the need for root/magisk/etc (hotspot works great, never throttles, I use it regularly while traveling) - but, my phone just reached its end.

Can anyone confirm if I purchase an unlocked Samsung S10, will modified tether approach still work? Will Samsung somehow prevent the hotspot provision bypass?

leo_bergamo

Jul 1, 2018
Limited success...

So, yes the updated module installs flawlessly under Magisk Manager 18. I was able to activate tethering on my MetroPCS phone with none of the usual warnings of doom like before. Tested the connection using my laptop but could not browse as I was re-directed to an internal MetroPCS page stating I need to add tethering to my plan. Any workarounds ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have created a magisk module which enables tethering on phones where it's been disabled by the manufacturer/provider. Please post here if you have a tethering-disabled phone and can test the attached module. It should only work if the tethering has been locked down by your phone manufacturer, it will probably not help you if your provider is blocking tethering.

There are two zip files attached to this thread:
    TetheringEnabler.zip -- is magisk v6 compatible.
    Tethering_Enabler-10.0.0.zip -- is magisk v10 (and later) compatible.

Please post back if you have a phone with tethering disabled and it helps you, I will then push to have it listed in the official repo. I have no tethering-locked phone so I can't test it myself.
    Thanks!
    Tethering Module

I modified stangri's module a bit so it would work in the current version of Magisk. Hopefully he doesn't mind.

It is attached to this post.
    Big thanks to @otonieru for his post above that got this moving to working on v15.. I had a few problems though and it wasn't working, I made the following tweaks:

-Fixed the config.sh to mount the updated system props, you can tell it works when via a shell you run "getprop | grep tether" and it shows "[net.tethering.noprovisioning]: [true]"
    -After installing the attached updated zip and rebooting, I also had to shell in via adb and run "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" on my Pixel XL for everything to work

Hope that helps others!
    I had problems with the existing zips in the thread on the latest Magisk 19.x, so an alternative way to get this to work:
    • Install Magisk module: Busybox for Android NDK
    • Install Magisk module: MagiskHide Props Config
    • Reboot
    • adb shell
    • settings put global tether_dun_required 0
    • su props

On the last command above you may need to authorize the shell via Magisk SU.
    You'll now be in an interactive script, do the following:
    • Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
    • Enter n, New custom prop
    • Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
    • Enter true
    • Enter 2, post-fs-data
    • Enter y
    • Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.
    Any chance we could get an update to the v15 template? Thanks!

Here you go,

This is just a temp module i made for my own use, at least until stangri update his module on repo