• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MODULE] Tethering Enabler for Magisk v10/v11

Search This thread

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
Just updated to v19 and this modules doesn't work. I actually can't get it to install on v18.1 either.

Is there any plans to update this modules to the new non-install script way of doing things? The unofficial v15 still works, for now:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=76132374&postcount=76

I have created a magisk module which enables tethering on phones where it's been disabled by the manufacturer/provider. Please post here if you have a tethering-disabled phone and can test the attached module. It should only work if the tethering has been locked down by your phone manufacturer, it will probably not help you if your provider is blocking tethering.

There are two zip files attached to this thread:
TetheringEnabler.zip -- is magisk v6 compatible.
Tethering_Enabler-10.0.0.zip -- is magisk v10 (and later) compatible.

Please post back if you have a phone with tethering disabled and it helps you, I will then push to have it listed in the official repo. I have no tethering-locked phone so I can't test it myself.
Thanks!

Last edited:

AmazerG

Dec 23, 2011
The module is working but the tethering speed is ridiculously slow which about 0.35Mbps for download but upload speed seems normal around 3 Mbps. I have a Sprint Moto E4, the LTE speed is around 30-40Mbps for download, 2-4 Mbps for upload. I tried stock ROM and LineageOS, both have the same results for tethering. The module that I used to find in magisk which works flawlessly but recently it's just disappeared in the magisk download.
I don't know what's wrong with it.

Itachisasuke

Apr 27, 2010
Southeastern PA
I'm assuming that if this module doesn't get updated that we can run the following from cmd after the device boots and have the same effect.

Code:
resetprop net.tethering.noprovisioning true

Would need to confirm though but based on my understanding of resetprop in Magisk this should work no problem.

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I'm assuming that if this module doesn't get updated that we can run the following from cmd after the device boots and have the same effect.

Code:
resetprop net.tethering.noprovisioning true

Would need to confirm though but based on my understanding of resetprop in Magisk this should work no problem.

That should work.

Instead of running it manually at every boot you could also do one if the following:
  • Make a Tasker profile (or whatever automation app you like) that runs the command at boot.
  • Put a script with the command in /data/adb/service.d and let Magisk do it for you.
  • Use MagiskHide Props Config to set the prop.

It might also be necessary to run this command in a terminal emulator or through ADB, but it should only be necessary to do that once, so no scripts needed:
Code:
settings put global tether_dun_required 0

TraderJack

Oct 5, 2008
Since the module hasn't been updated since Magisk v11, that shouldn't come as a surprise...

I'n case you missed it, the solution is found in the post right before yours.

Thanks, but what you posted isn't really a solution, it's a workaround. I know the root method is to set the net.tethering.noprovisioning value in build.prop.

The easiest way to do this on a clean build is to do a flashable zip from twrp, but none of the ones I found which state they set build.prop settings have any effect. Not sure what's happening with them, I know they are executing the script (I've added some test commands to ensure it is running), but they never seem to modify the build.prop. Not sure if it is some security or mounting issue...

The next best option would be to use this Magisk one as I could have it in a folder of other modules to flash. The other options aren't really ideal because they are either manual or require another app.

Can you tell me if the "resetprop" is a specific Magisk command? Meaning that command will only work if run from within a Magisk Script?
If you are running a script outside of Magisk..say Tasker or whatever, is there a command that will automatically configure this variable? The only method I know is to echo/sed a line into the build.prop file.

Didgeridoohan

Senior Moderator / Dev Committee / Dev Relations
Staff member
May 31, 2012
Gothenburg
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Thanks, but what you posted isn't really a solution, it's a workaround. I know the root method is to set the net.tethering.noprovisioning value in build.prop.

The easiest way to do this on a clean build is to do a flashable zip from twrp, but none of the ones I found which state they set build.prop settings have any effect. Not sure what's happening with them, I know they are executing the script (I've added some test commands to ensure it is running), but they never seem to modify the build.prop. Not sure if it is some security or mounting issue...

The next best option would be to use this Magisk one as I could have it in a folder of other modules to flash. The other options aren't really ideal because they are either manual or require another app.

Can you tell me if the "resetprop" is a specific Magisk command? Meaning that command will only work if run from within a Magisk Script?
If you are running a script outside of Magisk..say Tasker or whatever, is there a command that will automatically configure this variable? The only method I know is to echo/sed a line into the build.prop file.

The resetprop tool is a Magisk specific command, yes. But, as long as you have Magisk installed any app (Tasker, etc) can call it just as any other command available on your device.

But our opinions differ about what we should call it (solution or workaround) :D... If you're using Tasker it's just a matter of restoring a backup (TiBu, or similar, or the Tasker built-in backup function works just fine). If you use a boot script all you need to do is to keep a copy of it and on a clean install place it in the proper directory (you could even crate a flashable zip that places it for you). And lastly if you're using MagiskHide Props Config you can use the module provided configuration file, set that up with all the prop values you'd like to change (and keep a copy of course) and then just place it in the proper directory when you install the module. Using a boot script and MagiskHide Props Config are basically the same thing, the latter just has some more bells and whistles that you might not find necessary.

cadill

Nov 29, 2007
Tethering enabler not working under Magisk 19.2

This isn't working for me under Magisk 19.2. I'm getting "Magisk is not activated" when trying to install. I have read through the thread, but I don't understand the solutions proposed so far. Is there an updated version of the module I can try?

Also, I'm trying the "Android Q" beta build right now, I've successfully rooted using Magisk 19.2, but when I try to edit the build.prop file using any build.prop editor app (with root privileges) I'm unsuccessful at saving the build.prop (error saving). Anyone know if there's some defense of build.prop built into Android Q that is resistant even to a root-privileged app?

Thanks.

loveckw

Aug 20, 2007

daviderickson

Feb 25, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I had problems with the existing zips in the thread on the latest Magisk 19.x, so an alternative way to get this to work:
  • Install Magisk module: Busybox for Android NDK
  • Install Magisk module: MagiskHide Props Config
  • Reboot
  • adb shell
  • settings put global tether_dun_required 0
  • su props

On the last command above you may need to authorize the shell via Magisk SU.
You'll now be in an interactive script, do the following:
  • Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
  • Enter n, New custom prop
  • Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
  • Enter true
  • Enter 2, post-fs-data
  • Enter y
  • Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.

TopGun2000

Sep 11, 2005
I had problems with the existing zips in the thread on the latest Magisk 19.x, so an alternative way to get this to work:
  • Reboot
  • adb shell
  • su props

• Enter true
  • Enter 2, post-fs-data
  • Enter y
  • Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.

Found another module which works with Q and latest Magisk

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/magisk-tethering-enabler-t3937427

Reactions: beezar

IlyaKol

Aug 21, 2013
Albany, NY
Big thanks to @otonieru for his post above that got this moving to working on v15.. I had a few problems though and it wasn't working, I made the following tweaks:

-Fixed the config.sh to mount the updated system props, you can tell it works when via a shell you run "getprop | grep tether" and it shows "[net.tethering.noprovisioning]: [true]"
-After installing the attached updated zip and rebooting, I also had to shell in via adb and run "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" on my Pixel XL for everything to work

Hope that helps others!

HUGE thank you to @otonieru and @daviderickson...this is still applicable to Android 10.0 + Magisk Canary 19.4somethingsomethingsomething. Worked like a charge to get my hotspot back after not being able to mount /system in order to edit build.prop. My upgrade from P to Q wasn't clean either (did it via image flash without -w).

BEAUTIFUL!

Mar 11, 2012
Ardmore, OK
sailfish build .020

Big thanks to @otonieru for his post above that got this moving to working on v15.. I had a few problems though and it wasn't working, I made the following tweaks:

-Fixed the config.sh to mount the updated system props, you can tell it works when via a shell you run "getprop | grep tether" and it shows "[net.tethering.noprovisioning]: [true]"
-After installing the attached updated zip and rebooting, I also had to shell in via adb and run "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" on my Pixel XL for everything to work

Hope that helps others!

Worked great for enabling my hotspot on grandfathered verizon. Thanks so much daviderickson. original did not work for me but your modified version did the trick first try:D

I am so Sorry for the delay, so there was a mix up after i did all of the steps that i previously listed.
I jumped the gun and tested the Tethering on a spare phone. It showed the Hotspot, connected but like a dummy
I didn't check to see if the spare phone could get out on the internet. Tried it again and then noticed I couldn't get out on the internet.

I ended up doing a full factory wipe gain
setup the phone
Flashed Magisk-v14.5(1456).zip
Installed *************-v5.4.3.apk
Checked the safety net within the app.
Then i ran the following commands in command prompt (assuming you have adb setup and all the stuff). I use minimal ADB so i don't have to install the whole SDK platform.

============
adb devices
adb shell (look at your phone and GRANT SU ACCESS on your phone)
mount -o rw,remount /system
echo "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" >> /system/build.prop
mount -o ro,remount /system
reboot phone
=========================================
Wait till reboot is done and then proceed
=========================================
adb devices
adb shell (GRANT SU ACCESS)
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
reboot

I'll be honest with you, I'm really hesitant on taking OTAs and also updated the Magisk APK and Flashing a new Magisk zip. Every time i do one or the other I end of messing the whole thing up. I haven't really found a clear outline/guide on how to properly take OTAs when they are availible

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'll try to help you or anyone else out.

I just found out my pixel2xl asks permission from the carrier to hotspot. Really ? Thanks for the guide. I guess I have to root.

Has anyone had success enabling local terminal rather than adb ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have created a magisk module which enables tethering on phones where it's been disabled by the manufacturer/provider. Please post here if you have a tethering-disabled phone and can test the attached module. It should only work if the tethering has been locked down by your phone manufacturer, it will probably not help you if your provider is blocking tethering.

There are two zip files attached to this thread:
    TetheringEnabler.zip -- is magisk v6 compatible.
    Tethering_Enabler-10.0.0.zip -- is magisk v10 (and later) compatible.

Please post back if you have a phone with tethering disabled and it helps you, I will then push to have it listed in the official repo. I have no tethering-locked phone so I can't test it myself.
    Thanks!
    Tethering Module

I modified stangri's module a bit so it would work in the current version of Magisk. Hopefully he doesn't mind.

It is attached to this post.

Hope that helps others!
    • Reboot
    • adb shell
    • su props

• Enter true
    • Enter 2, post-fs-data
    • Enter y
    • Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.
    Any chance we could get an update to the v15 template? Thanks!

Here you go,

This is just a temp module i made for my own use, at least until stangri update his module on repo