• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[MODULE] Tethering Enabler for Magisk v10/v11

Search This thread

tera89

Nov 22, 2009
Kota Bharu

I already download and load on magisk..
but still it doesn't work on my oneplus 2..

btw how to use this modle anyway.. no interface? Just enable portable hotspot and u good to go?? Still no internet.. even already installed and on hostpot ..

been running all tru magisk installation process for past 5 hours even bricked my phone just to install this module .. lastly it doesn't work.. imma gonna head back to lousy pdanet then fml

DarkPhazon

Nov 1, 2017
nyc metro
I had problems with the existing zips in the thread on the latest Magisk 19.x, so an alternative way to get this to work:
Install Magisk module: Busybox for Android NDK
Install Magisk module: MagiskHide Props Config
Reboot
adb shell
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
su props

On the last command above you may need to authorize the shell via Magisk SU.
You'll now be in an interactive script, do the following:
Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
Enter n, New custom prop
Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
Enter true
Enter 2, post-fs-data
Enter y
Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.
What app are you using for adb shell? I'd like,to give your method a try. The modules I've tried on my verizon v20 allow me to enable tether but speeds seems to be somehow throttled (0.6mbps)which to me means module,not fully working. Thanks in advance.

Ewto16

Oct 21, 2015
Big thanks to @otonieru for his post above that got this moving to working on v15.. I had a few problems though and it wasn't working, I made the following tweaks:

-Fixed the config.sh to mount the updated system props, you can tell it works when via a shell you run "getprop | grep tether" and it shows "[net.tethering.noprovisioning]: [true]"
-After installing the attached updated zip and rebooting, I also had to shell in via adb and run "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" on my Pixel XL for everything to work

Hope that helps others!

Mine seems to work without the ADB command you indicated was necessary fortunately. I'm not able to run ADB commands for some reason. Do you have any tips, please?

drarkanex

Feb 15, 2008
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
I was able to enter all these commands in but my speeds were still affected. I am able to run TurboVPN and i'm able to get decent speeds using that by forcing my hotspot thru the VPN, but I just don't like using free VPN's. There has to be something else going on in the phone because i can download anything I want on the phone but anything cnnect thru hotspot gets hit downspeed 12k but upspeed is 1mbit, very wierd. It just started doing this a few days ago and i've been on this service for almost 2 years. there ahas to be a setting on the phone that's doing this.

I had problems with the existing zips in the thread on the latest Magisk 19.x, so an alternative way to get this to work:
  • Install Magisk module: Busybox for Android NDK
  • Install Magisk module: MagiskHide Props Config
  • Reboot
  • adb shell
  • settings put global tether_dun_required 0
  • su props

• Enter 5, Add/edit custom props
  • Enter n, New custom prop
  • Enter net.tethering.noprovisioning
  • Enter true
  • Enter 2, post-fs-data
  • Enter y
  • Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.

aquinoer

Mar 30, 2016
USA
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Hello

I am so Sorry for the delay, so there was a mix up after i did all of the steps that i previously listed.
I jumped the gun and tested the Tethering on a spare phone. It showed the Hotspot, connected but like a dummy
I didn't check to see if the spare phone could get out on the internet. Tried it again and then noticed I couldn't get out on the internet.

I ended up doing a full factory wipe gain
setup the phone
Flashed Magisk-v14.5(1456).zip
Installed *************-v5.4.3.apk
Checked the safety net within the app.
Then i ran the following commands in command prompt (assuming you have adb setup and all the stuff). I use minimal ADB so i don't have to install the whole SDK platform.

============
adb devices
adb shell (look at your phone and GRANT SU ACCESS on your phone)
mount -o rw,remount /system
echo "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" >> /system/build.prop
mount -o ro,remount /system
reboot phone
=========================================
Wait till reboot is done and then proceed
=========================================
adb devices
adb shell (GRANT SU ACCESS)
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
reboot

I'll be honest with you, I'm really hesitant on taking OTAs and also updated the Magisk APK and Flashing a new Magisk zip. Every time i do one or the other I end of messing the whole thing up. I haven't really found a clear outline/guide on how to properly take OTAs when they are availible

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'll try to help you or anyone else out.

i have a Samsung galaxy note 9 android 10, i try this method and now my phone cant send out data when in hotspot mode any ideas?

rybshik

Oct 17, 2009
I was able to enter all these commands in but my speeds were still affected. I am able to run TurboVPN and i'm able to get decent speeds using that by forcing my hotspot thru the VPN, but I just don't like using free VPN's. There has to be something else going on in the phone because i can download anything I want on the phone but anything cnnect thru hotspot gets hit downspeed 12k but upspeed is 1mbit, very wierd. It just started doing this a few days ago and i've been on this service for almost 2 years. there ahas to be a setting on the phone that's doing this.

same for me, I successfully made all the changes. Hotspot works with very low down speed. Samsung S7, Android 8, latest Magisk and modules. Cricket Wireless

Last edited:

flash713

• Reboot
  • adb shell
  • su props

• Enter true
  • Enter 2, post-fs-data
  • Enter y
  • Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.

Works perfect on Metro by T-mobile on my OnePlus 6t. Much thanks!! 😁

mrbox23

Mar 22, 2010
Colorado Springs
The latest Lineage 18.1, without gaps. Works after I run out of hotspot data. I can even run my own hotspot script on it.

On any device I pull it off by editing apn for ipv4 only, and changing ttl/hop_limit of clients to 65.

These 6t devices are nice, AP-STA concurrent (wifi repeater) can be enabled in WCNSS config, AND there's Nethunter with monitor mode on board. I even got it to dual boot A11 and Ubuntu Touch.

mrbox23

Mar 22, 2010
Colorado Springs
Anyone who may be interested in all of what mrbox23 posted above my post here ⬆ I found another thread that gives a bit of a break down on it. Check out the op from the link I'm posting and read through it. You'll see what I'm talking about. https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...hotspot-carrier-check-bypass-methods.3825144/
Thanks for sharing! I also note that tethering on ubports works without restriction, so long as your client changes ttl.

Reactions: flash713

RussianBear

Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2008
Does anyone know how to call out usb tethering on Android 11? Looks like they may have moved the commands from the usual connectivity manager module that was located here (Android 10):

changes in 11:

Tether-related references in 11:

Last edited:
Reactions: flash713

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have created a magisk module which enables tethering on phones where it's been disabled by the manufacturer/provider. Please post here if you have a tethering-disabled phone and can test the attached module. It should only work if the tethering has been locked down by your phone manufacturer, it will probably not help you if your provider is blocking tethering.

There are two zip files attached to this thread:
    TetheringEnabler.zip -- is magisk v6 compatible.
    Tethering_Enabler-10.0.0.zip -- is magisk v10 (and later) compatible.

Please post back if you have a phone with tethering disabled and it helps you, I will then push to have it listed in the official repo. I have no tethering-locked phone so I can't test it myself.
    Thanks!
    Tethering Module

I modified stangri's module a bit so it would work in the current version of Magisk. Hopefully he doesn't mind.

It is attached to this post.
    Big thanks to @otonieru for his post above that got this moving to working on v15.. I had a few problems though and it wasn't working, I made the following tweaks:

-Fixed the config.sh to mount the updated system props, you can tell it works when via a shell you run "getprop | grep tether" and it shows "[net.tethering.noprovisioning]: [true]"
    -After installing the attached updated zip and rebooting, I also had to shell in via adb and run "settings put global tether_dun_required 0" on my Pixel XL for everything to work

Hope that helps others!
    • Reboot
    • adb shell
    • su props

• Enter true
    • Enter 2, post-fs-data
    • Enter y
    • Enter y to reboot

Should be good to go.
    Any chance we could get an update to the v15 template? Thanks!

Here you go,

This is just a temp module i made for my own use, at least until stangri update his module on repo