Module to enable 5G/VoLTE/VoWIFI on Pixel4a 5G/Pixel5

Search This thread

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5
Basicly, you need to use some VoEnabler modelu (don't know if this one is working with latest magisk) and "play" with efs tool till you will success... But I am affraid, that for some carriers is not enought to replace only IMS folder and others folders from extracted mbn should be created/replaced too...

when you mentioned play with EFS? can you share more pointers on that. At least I'll be playing it with some guidance. Thanks.

as mentioned in another thread, my ims_user_agent file contains manufacture, phone model and OS build which could explains why IMS still not registered, because the user agent is still showing unsupported device model for the carrier.

Eiad Ajam

Jul 24, 2012
Homs
Finally got all services for my unsupported carrier (KPN NL 204 08).

Here's the original Module

I added KPN in This module

The creator ender-zhao made my day. You can edit the efs for days but google has some other blockades this module solves.
It is working perfectly

However, I am getting "unknown calls" from every caller

I think it is mbn related thing

How can I force Vodafone UK Volte mbn in this module?

Damiatte

Jun 17, 2013
Could you describe the steps that you followed exactly?
5G, VoLTE, VoWifi all working?

this is how i made it work:

1) Root your pixel and flash magisk:
watch the safetynet procedure in this video at the end also but be aware it does not work on the pixel 5 android 11, u can try it for yourself. the solution to that is to apply the following patch:
2) install inside magisk the module universal safetynet fix: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/releases, reboot
3) clear app cache google play service
4) perform safetynet test in magisk, the result should be that your device passes.
5) install inside magisk app the module from Kars88 (thanks Kars88 for making this), reboot.

be aware that this is a workaround. the root and magisk will always have to be active if i understand correct. Let's hope google apply's more cell operators in the future so we can go back to unrooted stock rom.

volte on gives unknown caller for every incoming call. Anybody have a fix for that?

tmobile simcard gives enhanced lte switch instead of volte switch. This has no problem with caller id.

Last edited:

Eiad Ajam

Jul 24, 2012
Homs
this is how i made it work:

1) Root your pixel and flash magisk:
watch the safetynet procedure in this video at the end also but be aware it does not work on the pixel 5 android 11, u can try it for yourself. the solution to that is to apply the following patch:
2) install inside magisk the module universal safetynet fix: https://github.com/kdrag0n/safetynet-fix/releases, reboot
3) clear app cache google play service
4) perform safetynet test in magisk, the result should be that your device passes.
5) install inside magisk app the module from Kars88 (thanks Kars88 for making this), reboot.

be aware that this is a workaround. the root and magisk will always have to be active if i understand correct. Let's hope google apply's more cell operators in the future so we can go back to unrooted stock rom.

volte on gives unknown caller for every incoming call. Anybody have a fix for that?

tmobile simcard gives enhanced lte switch instead of volte switch. This has no problem with caller id.
Fixed unknown calls issue by replacing ims files in the same thread

nfqa

Dec 11, 2006
Jerash
Thanks to @Lemon200, I enabled 5G on my 4a 5G with the direction - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-to-your-pixel-5-solved.4187025/post-83964575.

VoLTE steps:
1. Install attached Volte_switchonly.zip in magisk. This module is only to enable VoLTE and VoWIFI switches in system and reboot.​
2. I find my carrier's mbn file in Oneplus Nord rom (attached, you have to find yours). Use EfsTools to extract files by typing​
The files we need are located in mcfg\nv\item_files\ims directory. There is a suffix in each file name... remove them (my case is __E1FF_F).​
3. Reconnect QPST EFS Explorer, backup all files under nv\item_files\ims. Then replace all files in nv\item_files\ims with the files from mbn. And reboot phone. After reboot, check IMS status by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, phone info, 3-dot, IMS service status.​

IMO, it should work with Pixel5 as they are using the same SOC.
There should be a way to replace mbn files to enable both 5G and VoLTE. But I failed to replace mbn files with magisk module... bootloop... Maybe I replace the wrong files. Hope someone can find a more perfect way.

View attachment 5167155 View attachment 5167153
My country is not listed inside the mbn file , is there any option or way to get mbn for any country??
Thanks

Kars88

Dec 14, 2008
Amsterdam
Oh and you can prepare by getting your mbn file from recent firmware. Redmi K30 5G/other xiaomi 765G devices does the trick for me.

Kars88

Dec 14, 2008
Amsterdam
Ok here's my guide. I think it's best we don't start another 5G/Volte thread so maybe laughterwym can reference this post in the first post of this thread.

1. Download EfsTools modded and extract.
  2. Put the correct mcfg_sw.mbn in the EfsTools folder. Download the mcfg_autoselect_by_uim file and also put it in the EfsTools folder.
  3. Flash the Volte module in Magisk (doesn't really matter wheter your mbn is in it, as long as it has the right system props and more important disables the qril stuff that) (Both this module and this module are working for me. You can also find the modded module I used here. I'n my modded module I set the 5G connection to NSA so use that one if your carrier doesn't support SA yet.
  4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb debuggin on in your developer settings. Make sure you have both qualcomm drivers and google usb drivers and of course the latest platform tools (and add the dir to your system path).
  5. Use the workaround we normaly use to connect our phone to qpst:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    resetprop ro.bootmode usbradio
    resetprop ro.build.type userdebug
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    diag_mdlog
    cancel (ctrl+c) once it starts to "hang" at failed to open diag socket
    change usb config (file transfer, no file transfer)

6. Open a command prompt in the extracted efstools folder

7. Run the following command
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe efsInfo

8. You will get errors because of the hacky workaround we have to do with Pixel phones to use them with efs software. In my case everything worked like a charm. You can check efs explorer after writing your mbn to see if it looks allright.

9. Run the following commands one by one:
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -s 1

EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -v
    EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -s 1
    The -s 1 options are there so we write configurations for the second sim slot.

Important note: If you have a carrier that uses NR-NSA you'll have to edit lte_feature_restrictions.xml in EFS explorer to get everything right. I've uploaded the file here. If your mcc isn't in the following list you'll have to add it;
Code:
<plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
      228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 204-08 204-69 204-12 262-02 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-04 232-07
    </plmn_list>

Your VoLTE, VoWiFi, ims settings and 5g should be working now! Some carriers have very short carrierpolicy.xml, mine only says dds is enabled. Keep that in mind when you use apps to monitor your connection. 5G is working on my phone but I see empty rat stuff. Currently I'm writing code for changing lte_faeture_ca.xml to add all the information other Carriers have on the phone. Once you start tweaking it's hard to stop right?

Please share your findings! I'll update this post when I remember something usefull so your feedback is very helpfull!

Last edited:

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5
@Kars88

Just add mcc into the list in the xml file using EFS explorer?

"Important note: If you have a carrier that uses NR-NSA you'll have to edit lte_feature_restrictions.xml in EFS explorer to get everything right. I've uploaded the file here. If your mcc isn't in the following list you'll have to add it;"

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5
Ok here's my guide. I think it's best we don't start another 5G/Volte thread so maybe laughterwym can reference this post in the first post of this thread.

2. Put the correct mcfg_sw.mbn in the EfsTools folder. Download the mcfg_autoselect_by_uim file and also put it in the EfsTools folder.
  3. Flash the Volte module in Magisk (doesn't really matter wheter your mbn is in it, as long as it has the right system props and more important disables the qril stuff that) (Both this module and this module are working for me. You can also find the modded module I used here. I'n my modded module I set the 5G connection to NSA so use that one if your carrier doesn't support SA yet.
  4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb debuggin on in your developer settings. Make sure you have both qualcomm drivers and google usb drivers and of course the latest platform tools (and add the dir to your system path).

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    diag_mdlog

Code:
    EfsTools.exe efsInfo

8. You will get errors because of the hacky workaround we have to do with Pixel phones to use them with efs software. In my case everything worked like a charm. You can check efs explorer after writing your mbn to see if it looks allright.

Code:
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -s 1

Important note: If you have a carrier that uses NR-NSA you'll have to edit lte_feature_restrictions.xml in EFS explorer to get everything right. I've uploaded the file here. If your mcc isn't in the following list you'll have to add it;
Code:
      228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 204-08 204-69 204-12 262-02 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-04 232-07
    </plmn_list>

Your VoLTE, VoWiFi, ims settings and 5g should be working now! Some carriers have very short carrierpolicy.xml, mine only says dds is enabled. Keep that in mind when you use apps to monitor your connection. 5G is working on my phone but I see empty rat stuff. Currently I'm writing code for changing lte_faeture_ca.xml to add all the information other Carriers have on the phone. Once you start tweaking it's hard to stop right?

Please share your findings! I'll update this post when I remember something usefull so your feedback is very helpfull!
What about carrier aggregation, LTE CA? Can update the module to enable that for unsupported country also? Or does carrier aggregation tweak is by modifying via EFS explorer?

Kars88

Dec 14, 2008
Amsterdam
The android 12 developer preview 3 is packed with more carrier settings. All carriers in the Netherlands have support and they updated the expired apn settings. I found a carrier policy containing a very detailed list for europe with 5G support.

I suspect they are included with the upcoming may patch. I didn't expect Google tot fix this, a very pleasent surprise!

rusinov

Oct 28, 2019
The android 12 developer preview 3 is packed with more carrier settings. All carriers in the Netherlands have support and they updated the expired apn settings. I found a carrier policy containing a very detailed list for europe with 5G support.

I suspect they are included with the upcoming may patch. I didn't expect Google tot fix this, a very pleasent surprise!
Hi,
Could you please share the list of European Carriers which you found in that pack?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
      adb shell
      su
      diag_mdlog

Code:
      EfsTools.exe efsInfo

Code:

Code:
        </plmn_list>

Update (7 Apr 2021):
    If you are looking for the manual way to add 5G support besides the magisk module way or the module does not work for you. Please refer to #54 for the detailed steps. Thanks again to @Kars88.

Update (2 Mar 2021):
    In reply #45, @Kars88 discovered the magisk module to enable 5G and VoLTE/VoWIFI. Thanks to @Kars88 and the module owner ender-zhao.
    Update UK VoLTE file - https://github.com/ender-zhao/Pixel...load/3.82e/Pixel5_NR_magisk_module_V3.82e.zip
    Module for China users - https://github.com/ender-zhao/Pixel...load/3.82e/Pixel5_NR_magisk_module_V3.82e.zip
    Module to enable VoLTE/VoWIFI switches only - https://github.com/ender-zhao/Pixel...Pixel5_VoWIFI.VoLTE_magisk_module_V1-MINI.zip
    @Kars88 's KPN module is in reply #45.

Original post:
    Thanks to @Lemon200, I enabled 5G on my 4a 5G with the direction - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-to-your-pixel-5-solved.4187025/post-83964575.

VoLTE steps:
    1. Install attached Volte_switchonly.zip in magisk. This module is only to enable VoLTE and VoWIFI switches in system and reboot.​
    2. I find my carrier's mbn file in Oneplus Nord rom (attached, you have to find yours). Use EfsTools to extract files by typing​
    EfsTools.exe extractMbn -i mcfg_sw.mbn -p mcfg

The files we need are located in mcfg\nv\item_files\ims directory. There is a suffix in each file name... remove them (my case is __E1FF_F).​
    3. Reconnect QPST EFS Explorer, backup all files under nv\item_files\ims. Then replace all files in nv\item_files\ims with the files from mbn. And reboot phone. After reboot, check IMS status by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, phone info, 3-dot, IMS service status.​

IMO, it should work with Pixel5 as they are using the same SOC.
    There should be a way to replace mbn files to enable both 5G and VoLTE. But I failed to replace mbn files with magisk module... bootloop... Maybe I replace the wrong files. Hope someone can find a more perfect way.

Screenshot_20201225-101518.png
    Screenshot_20201225-101525.png
    Finally got all services for my unsupported carrier (KPN NL 204 08).

Here's the original Module

I added KPN in This module

The creator ender-zhao made my day. You can edit the efs for days but google has some other blockades this module solves.
    Hi,
    I live in Poland, it's this part of the world that google does not see, where 5g is not available on 4a 5g. Is thus a workaround to enable 5g for these countries where it is not stock-available?
    If not, is there any solution for that? I'm getting into 4a 5g discussions since my wife got it for herself.
    Got this working on my Pixel 5, more info here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...r-pixel-5-solved.4187025/page-3#post-84168995

Thank you @laughterwym. It's nice to be able to fix Google's shortcomings myself with the aid of other knowledgeable members of this community. Hopefully Google will get off their lazy asses and make this 5G and volte hassle unnecessary in the future.