• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Module to enable 5G/VoLTE/VoWIFI on Pixel4a 5G/Pixel5

Search This thread

PetrSP7

Mar 22, 2011
Prague
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Hi, this is such a very bizarre procedure because the solution for the rooted device to pass SafetyNet is very complex and it is not yet certain that the same solution will work even after after updates and after the transition to Android 12... And I do root only because Google does not have Czech 5G operators in its list of 5G networks (even Vodafone !!!) and the Pixel 4a 5G phone therefore runs “only” on 4G. I’ll probably go back to the stock ROM, I don’t like this overcomplicated tweaking anymore … :-/
However, I do not want to reduce the value of this article, according to which the procedure probably works.

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5
Hi, this is such a very bizarre procedure because the solution for the rooted device to pass SafetyNet is very complex and it is not yet certain that the same solution will work even after after updates and after the transition to Android 12... And I do root only because Google does not have Czech 5G operators in its list of 5G networks (even Vodafone !!!) and the Pixel 4a 5G phone therefore runs “only” on 4G. I’ll probably go back to the stock ROM, I don’t like this overcomplicated tweaking anymore … :-/
However, I do not want to reduce the value of this article, according to which the procedure probably works.
To pass safetynet is only by installing universal safetynet fix by kdragon. It's a magisk module

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5
Ok here's my guide. I think it's best we don't start another 5G/Volte thread so maybe laughterwym can reference this post in the first post of this thread.

1. Download EfsTools modded and extract.
  2. Put the correct mcfg_sw.mbn in the EfsTools folder. Download the mcfg_autoselect_by_uim file and also put it in the EfsTools folder.
  3. Flash the Volte module in Magisk (doesn't really matter wheter your mbn is in it, as long as it has the right system props and more important disables the qril stuff that) (Both this module and this module are working for me. You can also find the modded module I used here. I'n my modded module I set the 5G connection to NSA so use that one if your carrier doesn't support SA yet.
  4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb debuggin on in your developer settings. Make sure you have both qualcomm drivers and google usb drivers and of course the latest platform tools (and add the dir to your system path).
  5. Use the workaround we normaly use to connect our phone to qpst:

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    resetprop ro.bootmode usbradio
    resetprop ro.build.type userdebug
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
    diag_mdlog
    cancel (ctrl+c) once it starts to "hang" at failed to open diag socket
    change usb config (file transfer, no file transfer)

6. Open a command prompt in the extracted efstools folder

7. Run the following command
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe efsInfo

8. You will get errors because of the hacky workaround we have to do with Pixel phones to use them with efs software. In my case everything worked like a charm. You can check efs explorer after writing your mbn to see if it looks allright.

9. Run the following commands one by one:
    Code:
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim
    EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -s 1

EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -v
    EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -s 1
    The -s 1 options are there so we write configurations for the second sim slot.

Important note: If you have a carrier that uses NR-NSA you'll have to edit lte_feature_restrictions.xml in EFS explorer to get everything right. I've uploaded the file here. If your mcc isn't in the following list you'll have to add it;
Code:
<plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
      228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 204-08 204-69 204-12 262-02 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-04 232-07
    </plmn_list>

Your VoLTE, VoWiFi, ims settings and 5g should be working now! Some carriers have very short carrierpolicy.xml, mine only says dds is enabled. Keep that in mind when you use apps to monitor your connection. 5G is working on my phone but I see empty rat stuff. Currently I'm writing code for changing lte_faeture_ca.xml to add all the information other Carriers have on the phone. Once you start tweaking it's hard to stop right?

Please share your findings! I'll update this post when I remember something usefull so your feedback is very helpfull!
Will this still works with Android 11 June update or Android 12 Beta?

I asked because mine on Pixel 5 doesn't seem to work anymore.

jbm76

Hey, I'm sorry to be posting here - I have found this thread quite useful. I have an Xiaomi POCO F2 - volte worked on Android 10 well but Android 11 it isn't working.
The problem after some investigation - /nv/item_files/ims/ims_user_agent keeps on reverting back to default after a reboot. My carrier requires a header in this file to match with their ims server to enable volte.

Does anyone here have any idea's how to fix this? I have used efstools - EFS explorer - same thing happens after a reboot.

Can a magisk module replicate the contents of ims_user_agent? or stop the default ims_user_agent coming back?

Again, my apologies for posting off topic about another device.

Last edited:

fuadhdmini

Oct 16, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 10
Google Pixel 5
There is one Pixel 3 user who reported that he managed to get volte vowifi simply by installing PixelDust rom. Meaning without the hassle of EFS tool, finding mbn for your carrier or what not.

Edit.

After verifying with the user he told me that he only installed the magisk module

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update (7 Apr 2021):
    If you are looking for the manual way to add 5G support besides the magisk module way or the module does not work for you. Please refer to #54 for the detailed steps. Thanks again to @Kars88.

Update (2 Mar 2021):
    In reply #45, @Kars88 discovered the magisk module to enable 5G and VoLTE/VoWIFI. Thanks to @Kars88 and the module owner ender-zhao.
    Update UK VoLTE file - https://github.com/ender-zhao/Pixel...load/3.82e/Pixel5_NR_magisk_module_V3.82e.zip
    Module for China users - https://github.com/ender-zhao/Pixel...load/3.82e/Pixel5_NR_magisk_module_V3.82e.zip
    Module to enable VoLTE/VoWIFI switches only - https://github.com/ender-zhao/Pixel...Pixel5_VoWIFI.VoLTE_magisk_module_V1-MINI.zip
    @Kars88 's KPN module is in reply #45.

Original post:
    Thanks to @Lemon200, I enabled 5G on my 4a 5G with the direction - https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...-to-your-pixel-5-solved.4187025/post-83964575.

VoLTE steps:
    1. Install attached Volte_switchonly.zip in magisk. This module is only to enable VoLTE and VoWIFI switches in system and reboot.​
    2. I find my carrier's mbn file in Oneplus Nord rom (attached, you have to find yours). Use EfsTools to extract files by typing​
    EfsTools.exe extractMbn -i mcfg_sw.mbn -p mcfg

The files we need are located in mcfg\nv\item_files\ims directory. There is a suffix in each file name... remove them (my case is __E1FF_F).​
    3. Reconnect QPST EFS Explorer, backup all files under nv\item_files\ims. Then replace all files in nv\item_files\ims with the files from mbn. And reboot phone. After reboot, check IMS status by dialing *#*#4636#*#*, phone info, 3-dot, IMS service status.​

IMO, it should work with Pixel5 as they are using the same SOC.
    There should be a way to replace mbn files to enable both 5G and VoLTE. But I failed to replace mbn files with magisk module... bootloop... Maybe I replace the wrong files. Hope someone can find a more perfect way.

Screenshot_20201225-101518.png
    Screenshot_20201225-101525.png
    Finally got all services for my unsupported carrier (KPN NL 204 08).

Here's the original Module

I added KPN in This module

The creator ender-zhao made my day. You can edit the efs for days but google has some other blockades this module solves.
    Ok here's my guide. I think it's best we don't start another 5G/Volte thread so maybe laughterwym can reference this post in the first post of this thread.

1. Download EfsTools modded and extract.
    2. Put the correct mcfg_sw.mbn in the EfsTools folder. Download the mcfg_autoselect_by_uim file and also put it in the EfsTools folder.
    3. Flash the Volte module in Magisk (doesn't really matter wheter your mbn is in it, as long as it has the right system props and more important disables the qril stuff that) (Both this module and this module are working for me. You can also find the modded module I used here. I'n my modded module I set the 5G connection to NSA so use that one if your carrier doesn't support SA yet.
    4. Connect your phone to your computer with usb debuggin on in your developer settings. Make sure you have both qualcomm drivers and google usb drivers and of course the latest platform tools (and add the dir to your system path).
    5. Use the workaround we normaly use to connect our phone to qpst:

Code:
      adb shell
      su
      resetprop ro.bootmode usbradio
      resetprop ro.build.type userdebug
      setprop sys.usb.config diag,diag_mdm,adb
      diag_mdlog
      cancel (ctrl+c) once it starts to "hang" at failed to open diag socket
      change usb config (file transfer, no file transfer)

6. Open a command prompt in the extracted efstools folder

7. Run the following command
      Code:
      EfsTools.exe efsInfo

8. You will get errors because of the hacky workaround we have to do with Pixel phones to use them with efs software. In my case everything worked like a charm. You can check efs explorer after writing your mbn to see if it looks allright.

9. Run the following commands one by one:
      Code:
      EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim
      EfsTools.exe writeFile -i mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -o /nv/item_files/mcfg/mcfg_autoselect_by_uim -s 1

EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -v
      EfsTools.exe uploadDirectory -i mcfg_sw.mbn -o / -s 1
      The -s 1 options are there so we write configurations for the second sim slot.

Important note: If you have a carrier that uses NR-NSA you'll have to edit lte_feature_restrictions.xml in EFS explorer to get everything right. I've uploaded the file here. If your mcc isn't in the following list you'll have to add it;
    Code:
    <plmn_list name="dss_plmns" ns="global">
          228-01 505-01 505-11 505-39 505-71 505-72 204-04 204-08 204-69 204-12 262-02 204-16 204-20 232-03 232-04 232-07
        </plmn_list>

Your VoLTE, VoWiFi, ims settings and 5g should be working now! Some carriers have very short carrierpolicy.xml, mine only says dds is enabled. Keep that in mind when you use apps to monitor your connection. 5G is working on my phone but I see empty rat stuff. Currently I'm writing code for changing lte_faeture_ca.xml to add all the information other Carriers have on the phone. Once you start tweaking it's hard to stop right?

Please share your findings! I'll update this post when I remember something usefull so your feedback is very helpfull!
    The android 12 developer preview 3 is packed with more carrier settings. All carriers in the Netherlands have support and they updated the expired apn settings. I found a carrier policy containing a very detailed list for europe with 5G support.

I suspect they are included with the upcoming may patch. I didn't expect Google tot fix this, a very pleasent surprise!
    Got this working on my Pixel 5, more info here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...r-pixel-5-solved.4187025/page-3#post-84168995

Thank you @laughterwym. It's nice to be able to fix Google's shortcomings myself with the aid of other knowledgeable members of this community. Hopefully Google will get off their lazy asses and make this 5G and volte hassle unnecessary in the future.