[MODULE] Universal GMS Doze

Search This thread

73sydney

My device is op 7t , with crdroid 8.9 android 12
I installed the gms doze 1.8.7 and when i chwck the optimization it says not optimized , any help please ?

Please read the previous page, it contains all you need to know

You should learn to read the last few pages of any thread before creating a new post, if youre having an issue, then most likely others are too, therefore the answers are probably (if they exist) in the last few pages of any thread. If you cant find the answer in the last few pages, then by all means create a new post.

73sydney

I use Lineage 19.1 on my xiaomi redmi note 9 pro
And is doesn't work
What I make wrong?
I read here a lot of post but I can not found a solution....

Here the bug report

General suggestion:

Please post logs as attachments in a zip file here in future, no one is going to go to mega or a filesharing site to download a log file

On to the issue....

Also realise that the dev of this module hasnt maintained it in quite a while

I have bothered to download the log and this should be pretty self evident where the problem is 9see red text):

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.google.android.gms.ui, PID: 20080
android.util.AndroidRuntimeException: android.util.AndroidRuntimeException: android.webkit.WebViewFactory$MissingWebViewPackageException: Failed to load WebView provider: android.content.pm.PackageManager$NameNotFoundException: Application package com.android.webview not found

you dont have a webview app installed, perhaps you havent flashed g-apps (containing webview/chrome) while (after) flashing LineageOS, or done some sort of debloating or using micro-g

putting "Application package com.android.webview not found" into google will ultimately lead you here:

If you go there and you see an Install button , then try installing it

You have a ROM issue, not a "this magisk module" issue

Reactions: xerel89

xerel89

Jul 20, 2022
Austria 🇦🇹
General suggestion:

Please post logs as attachments in a zip file here in future, no one is going to go to mega or a filesharing site to download a log file

On to the issue....

Also realise that the dev of this module hasnt maintained it in quite a while

I have bothered to download the log and this should be pretty self evident where the problem is 9see red text):

FATAL EXCEPTION: main
Process: com.google.android.gms.ui, PID: 20080
android.util.AndroidRuntimeException: android.util.AndroidRuntimeException: android.webkit.WebViewFactory$MissingWebViewPackageException: Failed to load WebView provider: android.content.pm.PackageManager$NameNotFoundException: Application package com.android.webview not found

you dont have a webview app installed, perhaps you havent flashed g-apps (containing webview/chrome) while (after) flashing LineageOS, or done some sort of debloating or using micro-g

putting "Application package com.android.webview not found" into google will ultimately lead you here:

If you go there and you see an Install button , then try installing it

You have a ROM issue, not a "this magisk module" issue
OK thanks sorry for that , but I am sure I have I had a webview manager installed, I am here online with my phone and when I installed your linked app says aurora corrupt app!

Screenshot_20221001-000542_App Manager.png

73sydney

OK thanks sorry for that , but I am sure I have I had a webview manager installed, I am here online with my phone and when I installed your linked app says aurora corrupt app!

View attachment 5724143

i have no idea what aurora is....

unless you mean aurora store....that wont work

not sure what a "webview manager" is

think youre making this harder than it needs to be, or the ROM has issues

in any event you dont have a module problem, you have a ROM one.....perhaps ask for help in the thread for the ROM in your devices home forum

as already noted a page back, most failures of this module come down to ROM issues....you might have noticed the previous page people using LineageOS based ROM's have all the issues....

theres nothing more i can suggest here, as i dont use that ROM...

Reactions: SnoOkilow

rocketda7331

Apr 4, 2018
OnePlus 8T

Download latest bromite webview and install this(it should say Update if you have webview module) and then restart, your apps should recognize bromite webview to be used now and it should work. I have to do this so webview module works properly.

rocketda7331

Apr 4, 2018
OnePlus 8T
if you have to do that then your ROM is broken....
How come? I don't have to do that if I want to use regular android webview, it does work just fine. it is only necessary for me when I install webview manager which disables android webview to replace it with bromite. I think you were left with the impression there is no webview in my ROM which is not true, the instructions I provided are needed only when you have already taken steps(aka dl webview manager for magisk) to replace it. if I remove the module default wv works fine, but just installing the module is not enough in my experience for all apps to start using the replacement

Last edited:

73sydney

How come? I don't have to do that if I want to use regular android webview, it does work just fine. it is only necessary for me when I install webview manager which disables android webview to replace it with bromite. I think you were left with the impression there is no webview in my ROM which is not true, the instructions I provided are needed only when you have already taken steps(aka dl webview manager for magisk) to replace it. if I remove the module default wv works fine, but just installing the module is not enough in my experience for all apps to start using the replacement

i was mostly pointing out the fact you both are making things harder for yourselves by using all that stuff, not to mention creating unnecessary posts because of it here :)

rocketda7331

Apr 4, 2018
OnePlus 8T
i was mostly pointing out the fact you both are making things harder for yourselves by using all that stuff, not to mention creating unnecessary posts because of it here :)
Certainly veered slightly off topic because the person was having problem with different magisk module - but at the time they were asking for help, they incorrectly assumed the problem was with gms doze module so the heart was in the right place.

I do not think that changing the webview provider "is making things harder" for ourselves..it is essentially switching from one browser to another, this is like saying installing firefox on your windows10 pc is making things harder for yourself cause you already have edge there. While technically offtopic, I feel like this gms doze module and webview manager module are very similar in spirit - both aim to offer a lightweight alternative to google products and/or modify or control how much various google services drain your battery or send telemetry and for many of us this is the reason for rooting in the first place!

I am personally enjoying this module with no problems, have play services set to battery optimized and play services doesn't even appear in battery consumption stats until after 25-30hours of use and then it only reports 0.1% of battery use by that time(accubattery stats). no problems with notications.

73sydney

Certainly veered slightly off topic because the person was having problem with different magisk module - but at the time they were asking for help, they incorrectly assumed the problem was with gms doze module so the heart was in the right place.

I do not think that changing the webview provider "is making things harder" for ourselves..it is essentially switching from one browser to another, this is like saying installing firefox on your windows10 pc is making things harder for yourself cause you already have edge there. While technically offtopic, I feel like this gms doze module and webview manager module are very similar in spirit - both aim to offer a lightweight alternative to google products and/or modify or control how much various google services drain your battery or send telemetry and for many of us this is the reason for rooting in the first place!

I am personally enjoying this module with no problems, have play services set to battery optimized and play services doesn't even appear in battery consumption stats until after 25-30hours of use and then it only reports 0.1% of battery use by that time(accubattery stats). no problems with notications.

In all the years ive been doing Android ive never seen anything but drama come of trying to "beat Google"...ive tried microg (several times - all making the device harder, less productive to use - not worth the bragging of "look how much Google i dont have on my device") etc and never seen the point, using a GMS doze module etc is a way of trying to modify the behaviour of the system, but leaving the system intact and working. But trying to edit the system because of some philosophical argument makes no sense to me, never has, never will, and just creates way more forum posts than are needed....

Its worth pointing out ive spent plenty of time creating things, magisk modules etc, to work around or make things hopefully more functional, so i understand this wish to improve things, but im not removing core functions to do it....and creating more thread comments

Sorry, but after so many years of it, im very much over the "look how im beating google" stuff... :)

TheVan28

I installed the latest version of the module on my Pixel 4a running stock A13, and it didn't work, installed the previous version and it does.
But I'm suffering from delayed notifications (or better yet, no notifications at all, they only appear after opening each app).
I did apply the fix in the troubleshooting section but no luck.
GMS Doze Simplified breaks stuff such as Google Fit activity tracking, trending/suggested queries in the pixel launcher's google search bar and location based smart lock, I bet there's more i haven't noticed.
Any suggestions?
I hope there is a possible fix as this module reduces standby power consumption by a lot (0.30%/hr instead of about 1%/hr), overnight drain is reduced from 6/7% to just 2/3%. It also seems to increase responsiveness as google play services uses less ram and isn't always active.
Edit: also, find my device doesen't work, screen off, screen on, even while on the find my device settings page. Can't reach device.
EDIT: Uninstalled the module, and everything behaves like it's still installed, reflashed stock rom, nothing, do i have to clean install?
EDIT 2: uninstalling play services updates did the trick, everything works as expected now.
EDIT 3: Gave the module another go, gave me the same issues and this time i couldn't uninstall play services updates, i have no way of restoring play services to a working state without a clean flash.
I should've read the whole thread and the many replies of those that had the same issue and called this module garbage (because it is).
There should at least be a disclaimer that it will permanently modify your rom, which no properly developed magisk module should do, that's the entire point of magisk.

Last edited:

73sydney

I installed the latest version of the module on my Pixel 4a running stock A13, and it didn't work, installed the previous version and it does.
But I'm suffering from delayed notifications (or better yet, no notifications at all, they only appear after opening each app).
I did apply the fix in the troubleshooting section but no luck.
GMS Doze Simplified breaks stuff such as Google Fit activity tracking, trending/suggested queries in the pixel launcher's google search bar and location based smart lock, I bet there's more i haven't noticed.
Any suggestions?
I hope there is a possible fix as this module reduces standby power consumption by a lot (0.30%/hr instead of about 1%/hr), overnight drain is reduced from 6/7% to just 2/3%. It also seems to increase responsiveness as google play services uses less ram and isn't always active.
Edit: also, find my device doesen't work, screen off, screen on, even while on the find my device settings page. Can't reach device.
EDIT: Uninstalled the module, and everything behaves like it's still installed, reflashed stock rom, nothing, do i have to clean install?
EDIT 2: uninstalling play services updates did the trick, everything works as expected now.
EDIT 3: Gave the module another go, gave me the same issues and this time i couldn't uninstall play services updates, i have no way of restoring play services to a working state without a clean flash.
I should've read the whole thread and the many replies of those that had the same issue and called this module garbage (because it is).
There should at least be a disclaimer that it will permanently modify your rom, which no properly developed magisk module should do, that's the entire point of magisk.

1) Maybe you should have stopped at any point before you created more issues?

2) Show me a thread on here with a guarantee

3) Raging on a thread when youve continued to compound you own issue, rather than stopping and asking for help) or failing to realise that youve already discovered its unlikely to work - at which point its still totally YOUR choice to continue), and then call something garbage is not going to win you any friends and is childish

4) People have been using this for years, the great majority of them without side effects, but logic would tell you that with a major version bump of Android, and the dev not maintaining it in some time, that its totally YOUR choice to try it out on a ROM not tested by the dev....

5) I can install the main module on 3 different devices or 3 different ROM's and have equal chance of it working, or NOT, on all 3 thats the nature of ROMs, some it will work on, some it wont...again thats the roll of the dice you take trying it. No one held a gun to your head here..

6) I made the Simplified module (for folks having issues with the main one, as a courtesy) , it IS completely reversible and uses the oldest method to doze GMS, and ive used it on every device and ROM ive had for years, not so much as a delayed message. Again, a major Android version bump should tell you that youre guinea pigging...and again...your choice...

Reactions: rodken

TheVan28

1) Maybe you should have stopped at any point before you created more issues?
What do you mean by this?
I didn't have any issues after uninstalling the module the first time, that's why i reinstalled it, how could i have predicted that the option to restore play services would disappear from the settings app?
2) Show me a thread on here with a guarantee
Most modules are systemless, that's the point of magisk, those that modify system files usually warn about this, that's the problem with this module.
If it modifies system files without any way of restoring them, there should be a warning, the fact it doesen't guarantee 0 issues doesen't mean it shouldn't warn about permanent changes to system files when that's intended behaviour of the module.
3) Raging on a thread when youve continued to compound you own issue, rather than stopping and asking for help) or failing to realise that youve already discovered its unlikely to work - at which point its still totally YOUR choice to continue), and then call something garbage is not going to win you any friends and is childish
Asking for help is literally the reason i posted that reply, I was asking for help troubleshooting the delayed notifications issue, i only made edits as i figured out more stuff to give more info...
Also, am i not allowed to give my personal opinion on something? I don't think calling a magisk module that permanently breaks system files "garbage" is childish or not appropriate. It defeats the entire point of being a module.
4) People have been using this for years, the great majority of them without side effects, but logic would tell you that with a major version bump of Android, and the dev not maintaining it in some time, that its totally YOUR choice to try it out on a ROM not tested by the dev....
Android 13 is supported by the latest version, and that's the version that caused me to need a clean wipe of the phone...
5) I can install the main module on 3 different devices or 3 different ROM's and have equal chance of it working, or NOT, on all 3 thats the nature of ROMs, some it will work on, some it wont...again thats the roll of the dice you take trying it. No one held a gun to your head here..
I'm using a Pixel running stock android though... That's closer to AOSP than most custom roms out there, and this doesen't justify the breaking of system files.
The module shouldn't make permanent changes to ANY rom, compatible or not. That's how modules should work.
6) I made the Simplified module (for folks having issues with the main one, as a courtesy) , it IS completely reversible and uses the oldest method to doze GMS, and ive used it on every device and ROM ive had for years, not so much as a delayed message. Again, a major Android version bump should tell you that youre guinea pigging...and again...your choice...
Have you read my post?
I tried your version, I never said yours isn't reversible. But it breaks lots of stuff and therefore I'm not going to use it, also the delayed notifications apply to it as well.

73sydney

What do you mean by this?
I didn't have any issues after uninstalling the module the first time, that's why i reinstalled it, how could i have predicted that the option to restore play services would disappear from the settings app?

Because if you uninstall updates from an app once theyre not going to be there to uninstall a second time

Most modules are systemless, that's the point of magisk, those that modify system files usually warn about this, that's the problem with this module.
If it modifies system files without any way of restoring them, there should be a warning, the fact it doesen't guarantee 0 issues doesen't mean it shouldn't warn about permanent changes to system files when that's intended behaviour of the module.

Android 13 is supported by the latest version, and that's the version that caused me to need a clean wipe of the phone...

I'm using a Pixel running stock android though... That's closer to AOSP than most custom roms out there, and this doesen't justify the breaking of system files.
The module shouldn't make permanent changes to ANY rom, compatible or not. That's how modules should work.

Ideally all modules would be 100% systemless, 100% agree. I personally make all mine that way. Mine copy any system files into the modules folder and then modify those copies. but as with any mod, its up the user to assess the risk of using the mod. Been the law od XDA and every forum ive ever been on.

I usually put a disclaimer on stuff, even though it should generally be accepted as price of admission to the forum.

Asking for help is literally the reason i posted that reply, I was asking for help troubleshooting the delayed notifications issue, i only made edits as i figured out more stuff to give more info...
Also, am i not allowed to give my personal opinion on something? I don't think calling a magisk module that permanently breaks system files "garbage" is childish or not appropriate. It defeats the entire point of being a module.

Calling anyone's efforts "garbage" is not productive. An opinion, even a bad one, usually is at least that

Have you read my post?
I tried your version, I never said yours isn't reversible. But it breaks lots of stuff and therefore I'm not going to use it, also the delayed notifications apply to it as well.

Yes i read your post. Mine is based on the original method, if it "breaks" things (and its benign as can be), along with the rest of the reports from Android 13 users that its not working for them and that something has changed on the ROM side, might have stopped you from continuing further. It would have made me pause after one attempt.....

Maybe youre misreading me, im not defending the module, im pointing out you could have made better choices and stopped at any point instead of compounding things

Last edited:

SnoOkilow

Jul 20, 2017
I installed 1.8.7. Then I deleted it and uninstalled google play services, rebooted, installed google play services again and everything works as before. Remained on 1.8.6 works without problems. This module does not modify the ROM - I have not received confirmation of this.

Zaxx32

Mar 23, 2019
Morgantown
Moto G5 Plus
Moto G7
I'm running the latest stock A13 (Oct.5 'security' patch) on a brand new Pixel 6a. Just rooted with latest Magisk (25.2). installed the usual req'd (imo ofc) modules: Systemless, Lsposed, Safetynet Fix 2.3.1, and AOSP Mods.

I use a non-Magisk option to manage/optimize my battery my battery usage. It's been around for years, made by a trusted Dev and it works for dozing/optimizing google play services/GMS and sooo much more...all you need is root and to take the time to read what you're doing...and a couple bucks that worth every penny. Naptime, from the same Dev as FKM. (The GMS tweak is in the 'Experimental Featured' section.)

I could go on forever about the features...most which are free. And if you REALLY want total control of Android, there's also Servicely.

Also from Franco. Not totally free but potent...be careful!

YMMV but it's been my goto for years...on stock roms.

Reactions: SnoOkilow

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

Has anyone experienced this type of behavior?

I installed this last module on my One Plus 7 Pro running ColorOS A12,1 when I reboot the phone I run gmsc it says optimized after 2 seconds I run gmsc it says not optimized any ideas please?
    View attachment 5754699

Cant say ive ever seen that.....

Do you have any other modules, particularly of the tweak variety or tweak apps installed? Something is obviously resetting it, your best best would be logcat
    I just realized that the second module has nothing to do with this behavior, so I rebooted my phone and ran gms quickly twice, with the first result being gms optimized and the second being not optimized, and I discovered a google.xml in the folder /mnt/vendor/my bigball/etc/sysconfig/google.xml with read only access.

Okay so can you tell me exactly (or attach) those modules you have installed and tested, as thats not a "legacy" path, and we can fix that

Oneplus device?

I knew id seen "my bigball" path before, a dev friend who has a debloat module recently added it for certain devices....he had to add it to the path list for his module

(these are all mount points under /system or SAR (System As Root)

arMountPointList="/product /vendor /system_ext /india /my_bigball"

can you also try these 2 commands (in a terminal or via adb shell) and paste the results of each (separately):

Code:
    su -c find /system /system_ext /product /vendor -iname "google.xml" -print

su -c find /system /system_ext /product /vendor /my_bigball -iname "google.xml" -print
    Thank you bro sleep well

okay, i modded the original 1.8.6 (last version i think that worked out of the box for most folks) and my own GMS Doze Simplified.v1.1 zip (only dozes gms, nothing else) to include the newer path

Please remove any existing doze related mod, and then try only one of these at a time, and tell me if either work

If either work, ill put in a request to have the newest version in the 1st post of this page, and on the magisk repo, to have the path added

Note: modded attachments removed to stop people going off on tangents
    yes sure bro
    first command
    /system/product/etc/sysconfig/google.xml
    second command
    /system/product/etc/sysconfig/google.xml
    /my_bigball/etc/sysconfig/google.xml
    :/data/data/com.termux/files/home #

good, the 1st command is what the regular module finds, the second is what the adjusted one with new path added finds...which matches with what you mentioned.

after ive had a sleep (ive been up about 20 hours), ill mod the latest one (from the 1st post on this page) and my own "simplified" version and you can test them if you like
    okay, i modded the original 1.8.6 (last version i think that worked out of the box for most folks) and my own GMS Doze Simplified.v1.1 zip (only dozes gms, nothing else) to include the newer path

Please remove any existing doze related mod, and then try only one of these at a time, and tell me if either work

If either work, ill put in a request to have the newest version in the 1st post of this page, and on the magisk repo, to have the path added
    Thank you bro for your hard work unfortunately 2 modules does not work same thing happend, i attache screenshots and if you need any logs or something please tell me
    Universal GMS Doze

Overview:
    - Optimized and adjusted Google Play services.
    - Support API 23 or later.
    - Support Magisk Live or Custom Recovery installations.

Contents:
    - Base extensions
    module: 1.8.4 (0830)
    code: 184

Credits:
    - @topjohnwu / Magisk - Magisk Module Template
    - @JumboMan / Custom installation script

Extras:
    - Donation: PayPal - LiberaPay
    - Mirror Links: GitHub Releases - Telegram - Index
    - Source Code: GitHub
    Troubleshooting:

- Command-line for check optimization (with add-on installed):
    Code:
    > su
    > gmsc

- Command-line for check optimization (general):
    There's a line written Whitelist (except idle) system apps: and if com.google.android.gms line does not exist it means Google Play services is optimized.
    Code:
    > su
    > dumpsys deviceidle

- Command-line for fix delayed incoming messages issue:
    Code:
    > su
    > cd /data/data
    > find . -type f -name '*gms*' -delete

- Command-line for disable Find My Device:
    Code:
    > su
    > pm disable com.google.android.gms/
    com.google.android.gms.mdm.receivers.MdmDeviceAdminReceiver

Changelog:

v1.8.4
    - Removed redundant script (GMS: Stay with disabling Find My Device only)

v1.8.3
    - Android 12 support
    - Additional boot complete check
    - Multi-User support
    - Set ignore for GMS and IMS WRITE_SETTINGS
    - Minor improvements

v1.8.2
    - Android 11 support
    - Improved installation (Magisk Live and Custom Recovery)
    - Improved patching detections (XML files and conflicting modules)
    - Integrated add-on (run 'gmsc' with superuser rights for check optimization status)
    - Set ignore for GMS and IMS BOOT_COMPLETED
    - Set ignore for GMS and IMS AUTO_START (custom permissions for Oxygen OS)
    - Updated template

v1.8.1
    - Integrated custom recovery installation
    - Added boot logic for search and patch any conflicting modules (if present)
    - Whitelisted IMS and Turbo (this should fixed location crash issue in MIUI)

v1.8.0
    - Initial re-release
    - 100 seconds Magisk Boot Service
    So this is it guys, both of my old machines are totally broken and some parts are get burned. I've no idea to revive it since my money were spent for my primary demands. I've built ±5 beta builds available in the support group (if you want to) but there's no special things since I'm still tinkering with every devices that Find My Device doesn't disabled automatically. Talking/sharing in here or in support group would be a nice place to find other workarounds. I'm so sorry for the lack of updates, also I just want to tell that I'll married soon.

Keep up all of your supports, sorry for the inconveniences.
    Have a nice day!
    New stable build is up!​

This is like a dilemma, where I've to continue this GMS optimization stuff or not. But I got a few ideas lately where my loyal supporters always ask about GMS optimization and this is the answer. I will continue to try to make this module work well, stable, efficiently and of course optimized GMS.
    Please remember to read installation guides on OP, and don't use similar modules or tweaks because I won't know where the issue came from that might one day happens to you. I would like to say Thank You to all my supporters for my simplicity-oriented-usability project.
    Happy flashing :fingers-crossed:
    GL-DP wishes you Happy Eid Mubarak
    and
    Here's the Stable Update!​

I've made a lot of changes regarding I'll stop/drop supports or works for optimizing GMS. Now I'm starting to focus to prevent unnecessary GMS running in the background with my own modified services in hope for getting better battery life. Please note that I'm not referred you to use similar modules while reporting any issues you've faced of. So I can check whether the wrong is from my module or in your ends.

While the ponds is starting to dry, don't forget that the ponds will stay wet when the rain comes.
    Happy flashing! :fingers-crossed: