Mom needs help! Samsung s9 lost messages during Smart Switch. Have "Message" file.

Search This thread

sweetp1978

Aug 12, 2022
S9 is old I know but it's what I have & I don't let my kids or anyone mess with it & it's rarely been dropped so it's still in good shape. Battery is getting weak & it's not ready for 5g but I need to help it creep along a little longer & so I did a backup without pics & copied pics over to my laptop's external hard drive & then did the factory reset using the buttons. I then did the Restore. Only thing that didn't come through in Smart Switch restore was my old text messages.

There is a file called "Message" that is rather large like 5 Gig. I'm assuming this is the file of text threads that SS should have transferred over to my phone? Assuming such, I did go ahead & transfer that big file back onto my phone in a general location like Data or something just so I'd have it handy on the phone if I needed it at the phone store.

Is there ANYONE or anywhere that can tell me where Samsung is storing the text threads in S9's? Or perhaps even better, how to get Smart Switch to recognize this file & let me restore it using Smart Switch app on my laptop? It's Windows PC. Carrier's tech guy tried to walk me through doing that today but in the app it does not recognize there is any text messaging restorable files.

I'm desperately needing help. So many old sentimental messages. My parents, my kids, & now grandkids. Friends who've passed away...just like anyone I'm sure. I'd be very grateful for any help.

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
S9 is old I know but it's what I have & I don't let my kids or anyone mess with it & it's rarely been dropped so it's still in good shape. Battery is getting weak & it's not ready for 5g but I need to help it creep along a little longer & so I did a backup without pics & copied pics over to my laptop's external hard drive & then did the factory reset using the buttons. I then did the Restore. Only thing that didn't come through in Smart Switch restore was my old text messages.

There is a file called "Message" that is rather large like 5 Gig. I'm assuming this is the file of text threads that SS should have transferred over to my phone? Assuming such, I did go ahead & transfer that big file back onto my phone in a general location like Data or something just so I'd have it handy on the phone if I needed it at the phone store.

Is there ANYONE or anywhere that can tell me where Samsung is storing the text threads in S9's? Or perhaps even better, how to get Smart Switch to recognize this file & let me restore it using Smart Switch app on my laptop? It's Windows PC. Carrier's tech guy tried to walk me through doing that today but in the app it does not recognize there is any text messaging restorable files.

I'm desperately needing help. So many old sentimental messages. My parents, my kids, & now grandkids. Friends who've passed away...just like anyone I'm sure. I'd be very grateful for any help.
Hello and good morning, @sweetp1978

Welcome to XDA. I hope you'll always find and get the support you require.

However, prior to your next posting please read the guidances that are stuck on top of every forum like
and the others. I've moved the thread to

Thanks for your cooperation!
Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator

sweetp1978

Aug 12, 2022
Hello and good morning, @sweetp1978

Welcome to XDA. I hope you'll always find and get the support you require.

However, prior to your next posting please read the guidances that are stuck on top of every forum like
and the others. I've moved the thread to

Thanks for your cooperation!
Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Senior Moderator
I'm so unfamiliar with this site. I was rushing. I appreciate the kind response. And thank you for moving it to the right forum.

Reactions: Oswald Boelcke

Top Liked Posts