Money for rooting OTA...I have $50 on it...

Search This thread

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
I have $50 for the person that roots my EVO. I dont mean next year either. Im talking rooting it in a timely manner. I fully understand devs have lives, and new phones their trying to root in some cases :) I just wanna add a little incentive for getting it done. I just bought this EVO last night after returning my 3rd Nexus S 4G due to radio issues. The rep told me it would have 2.2.1 out of the box but did not. Although it runs very smooth with 2.3.3 on it, I prefer aosp over sense.

Last edited:

dcc0011

Nov 27, 2008
that sux man! is a return an option? I would think you could find a reputable seller that knows the product better than who you received your evo from! my local sprint store can hook up deals on used evos in "exelent condition" check your local store if it isn't corporate. Some sellers on ebay actually know what the product too. that's what the message feature is for. look for someone in florida!!

Last edited:

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
I payed $100 for this one and have black tie protection so i wouldnt want a used one. But root would be nice. I know it will happen eventually, just want the devs to know that there are people that appreciate their work and time. And, hopefully get someone to take time away from the 3D also :p

runcool

Dec 24, 2010
no body cares about this phone anymore. HOWEVER, IF YOU TAKE IT TO A SPRINT STORE! ASK THEM TO DOWNGRADE IT FOR YOU! lol! no joke. just do it! BUT you must know the difference between a corp store and franchise

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
no body cares about this phone anymore. HOWEVER, IF YOU TAKE IT TO A SPRINT STORE! ASK THEM TO DOWNGRADE IT FOR YOU! lol! no joke. just do it! BUT you must know the difference between a corp store and franchise

LOL, they cant downgrade it any more than we can at this point. There is way to many EVO 4G owners for this thing to go unrooted forever. I hope...

geeksquadryder

Sep 18, 2009
Your best bet at this point is to swap the phone on Craigslist along with the $50. There are a few folks who don't use the phone no more and didn't do the upgrade. There are ads on Craigslist for evo trades only. They get to make $50 but still sell the evo for there asking price.

Sent from my evo

Reactions: mikeyinid

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Your best bet at this point is to swap the phone on Craigslist along with the $50. There are a few folks who don't use the phone no more and didn't do the upgrade. There are ads on Craigslist for evo trades only. They get to make $50 but still sell the evo for there asking price.

Sent from my evo

Thats something I thought about, I just dont want to lose the insurance from Best Buy. I plan on buying the Photon when it drops anyway, so I guess its not a huge deal. I guess I just thought for $50 someone would take a few hours(or whatever) to figure it out. Its all about the downgrade, that much I know. Hopefully someone figures out a way to get it to work.

LCL22

Jul 5, 2011
no sprint store has that capability, only htc does , and even contacting them directly about it just produces a nice " we cannot downgrade it because it would render your device innoperable" ......

im sorry but short of desoldering nand and reflashing ...yeah...just wait till they are tired with the 3d and somone MIGHT get back to evo, but for now, i think there are thousands of us on the "i kinda hate my phone now" boat , someone will eventually do it i guess, i personally think this release is a trainwreck , and id rather have stock froyo than this tbh but we are pretty boned for the time being..

LCL22

Jul 5, 2011
Thats something I thought about, I just dont want to lose the insurance from Best Buy. I plan on buying the Photon when it drops anyway, so I guess its not a huge deal. I guess I just thought for $50 someone would take a few hours(or whatever) to figure it out. Its all about the downgrade, that much I know. Hopefully someone figures out a way to get it to work.

downgrading/rooting 2.3.3 its the same problem,i believe the hboot simply WILL NOT let you install anything other than a signed , higher version newer date ruu

unless someone finds a way to change the version number on the ruu package itself (short of impossible to do judging by what little understanding i have of code and programming) you cant install anything thats the thing...

the hboot on the 3d is similar i believe to the evos hboot, once they crack that one , that knowledge may make doing it on evo 4g a possible task, but im just monitoring the pertinent threads/channels at this point until i can upgrade on sprint or i manage to sell my evo so i can get a 3d

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
I chose this unrooted EVO 4G over the 3D last night. The 3D is really nice, but the screen size is a little narrow, and that was one of my big issues with the NS4G.
Well, this offer will stand for a few weeks. Ill say August 8th is the cutoff for me to give $50 to the person that gets us root. If my phone is rooted by that day, the person that figured it out is getting paid.

liable

Jan 3, 2010
I payed $100 for this one and have black tie protection so i wouldnt want a used one. But root would be nice. I know it will happen eventually, just want the devs to know that there are people that appreciate their work and time. And, hopefully get someone to take time away from the 3D also :p

I used there black tie and they sent me a refurb 2.2 on it try that

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise
Fraudulant insurance claims are probably one of the main reasons the manufacturers are locking their phones down. Im not saying not to do it, Im saying I prefer not to do it.

LCL22

Jul 5, 2011
do it 3 times and you get a brand new device

and at the end its just going to cost both him and the company money, and solve nothing, as all phones come with 2.3.3 now, even more so if its a new one....

so as others have said, your best bet is craiglist or waiting pretty much

liable

Jan 3, 2010
as of thursday no they dont i just got my refurb 2.2 with black tie its free to replace for any reason but lost or stolen

complex88

Jan 9, 2011
Lakeland, FL
I have $50 for the person that roots my EVO. I dont mean next year either. Im talking rooting it in a timely manner. I fully understand devs have lives, and new phones their trying to root in some cases :) I just wanna add a little incentive for getting it done. I just bought this EVO last night after returning my 3rd Nexus S 4G due to radio issues. The rep told me it would have 2.2.1 out of the box but did not. Although it runs very smooth with 2.3.3 on it, I prefer aosp over sense.

Android 2.2 went live Aug 3, 2010 and it was rooted Aug 26, 2010. Which for those of you who can't add thats 23 days. Android 2.3 went live June 15, 2011 and its July 10, 2011 which puts us at 25 days. So I would say that we are right on course for something to be announced soon.

geeksquadryder

Sep 18, 2009
I chose this unrooted EVO 4G over the 3D last night. The 3D is really nice, but the screen size is a little narrow, and that was one of my big issues with the NS4G.
Well, this offer will stand for a few weeks. Ill say August 8th is the cutoff for me to give $50 to the person that gets us root. If my phone is rooted by that day, the person that figured it out is getting paid.

Best bet is to wait but keep in mind there is no guarantee that the 3d will be rooted by then either.

Sent from my evo

liable

Jan 3, 2010
Your service number has changed. Track your repair.

View: Mobile | Web

Store Locator

GEEKSQUAD.COM BESTBUY.COM

This e-mail is being sent either to thank you for recently bringing your product in to a Geek Squad® Precinct, or to notify you of a service order number change. Your product is in good hands and will be serviced as soon as possible.

We're on it.

Geek Squad

P.S. Please visit GeekSquad.com for account information related to your Geek Squad Black Tie Protection Plan, Best Buy Performance Service Plan, or Best Buy Product Replacement Plan.

TRACK YOUR REPAIR

Your Service Order Number:
[ 00417-96637865450 ]

Track status of your service.

HAVE A QUESTION?

Stop by a Best Buy store or call 1-888-GEEKSQUAD (1-800-433-5778).

© Geek Squad. All rights reserved. Geek Squad values your privacy. To view our privacy policy click here.

BEST BUY, the BEST BUY logo, the tag design, BESTBUY.COM, BEST BUY MOBILE, GEEK SQUAD, REWARD ZONE, BEST BUY FOR BUSINESS and MAGNOLIA HOME THEATER are trademarks of BBY Solutions, Inc. All other trademarks or trade names are properties of their respective owners. © 2011 Best Buy Solutions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

ofv810.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If your device is plugged in via the wall, it stays on, when the battery is pulled, was going to test but, I cannot find my spare SD card!

**edit -Found SD card, testing results now. Good thing I have TEP, lol.
    Do you have a link for this?

i believe this is the one he says

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1188510

explanation of how to do it here :
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16024384&postcount=910

id be willing to give it a shot myself but i dont have an extra sd card lying around
    True, the "deadline" is passed, but I still needed root yesterday, just the same as I did in July... My bounty was $25. I just sent 18 Euros to paypal at alpharev.nl, which came out to $26 and change.

Anyone else who offered a bounty, and plans on taking advantage of this exploit, should man up and do the same. Your contribution is for a good cause, regardless.
    I saw a method of flashing an unsigned ruu in the 3vo root/s-off thread.
    1. Place a valid ruu package on SD
    2.let it valid it *DON'T FLASH*
    3. Pull battery while its plugged into AC.
    4. Place another SD with older/unsigned ruu on it.
    5. Let it flash.
    6. Reboot.
    7. Check for brickage.

*I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY BRICKS*