Mophie juice pack cases for the s8/8+ Review

Search This thread

sanjsrik

THIS is what I've been waiting for. I know iPhone users who use these and they're great. May actually buy it as it's also wireless charging compatible:

http://www.mophie.com/shop/samsung-devices/juice-pack-galaxy-s8

Sooo.... The S8 is in stock, the S8+ is backordered 2 weeks. Not sure if I should just go ahead and get it. I was always envious of the iphone people who had these. Plus that it's wireless charging compatible is great.

Review of the mophie (first impressions):

tl;dr:
  • VERY slick. You WILL drop it from your hand
  • Will NOT allow NFC meaning NO Samsung/Android Pay, basic functionality doesn't work with this on your device
  • WILL NOT quick charge if you don't use their charger (cannot verify if this is true, don't have their charger, but will NOT quick charge using a Cheotech NOR a Samsung Quick charging Qi-enabled cradle)
  • DOES quick charge if you use a cable to plug it in directly that DOES do quick charging, if you try to use a fast-charging cradle the mophie will prevent fast charging even though the device supports it. I find this very unacceptable as the mophie is taking AWAY functionality that is inherent in the S8+ natively
  • Black, no other colors
  • Status button enables the device to charge from the mophie
  • No idea how long the mophie takes to charge from zero to 100 (mine showed up at zero)
  • Documentation is crap, don't bother using the documentation, they've adopted the ikea method of documentation, not at all useful

The review isn't going to include any photos until I can upload them, I'll walk through what I've got as far as initial impressions after just opening the packaging.

So, the case showed up today after a two-week backorder. It showed up about two weeks after I initially ordered it. It wasn't cheap, with shipping it was just a little under $110. The packaging was fine, the box was snug inside their shipping box.

The actual packaging the mophie came in was IMPOSSIBLE to open. It was one of those retail packaging boxes made to be hung from a hook. I tried sliding the inner container from the bottom. No good. I finally had to use a pen to pry open (aka rip) the top flap and take the inner case out.

So, the case is in two parts. a smaller top part and the battery case itself which covers about 90% of the device. It's slick. I don't mean in the way of ooh, cool, this is slick. This thing is going to slip from your hands. They should have roughed up or put some sort of grippy exterior on the outside of the case. It's REALLY slick. It's all black, apparently the only color they make it in.

IF you don't use their charger, they claim that no other Qi-enabled charger will fast charge. They're right. I have the Cheotech and that doesn't quick charge and the Samsung upright Qi charger and that doesn't quick charge. Plugging in the device into a cable made for quick charging, quick charges. Otherwise, not.

The unit came with no charge. I know this because as I plugged it in with my device inside the mophie, the mophie blinked and showed only one light. Not sure how long it's going to take to charge, even quick charging because the S8+ doesn't show the mophie at all as a secondary battery or case or anything. I tried an experiment where I unplugged the mophie with my device inside it and turned it on (you switch on the mophie by holding down the status button on the back). The device said charging at standard charge as though it were connected to a cable.

I wish there was an app or something that told me when and if the external mophie was charged or what the status was. Not sure if the device can even query the external mophie to find that information out.

If anyone knows of an app that will monitor the health of the mophie while in use and while charging, I'd be happy if you could recommend it.

Apologies for no photos but will upload them as soon as I can.

Last edited:

sanjsrik

I had a long email exchange with Mophie about these, this is what I found out:

The Mophie for the S8+ is on backorder for 1-2 weeks. If you place your order now, they charge your card to make sure (they claim) that you get the first batch of the ones back in order. Guess the boat from Shenzen is taking a while.
The Mophie allows pass-through charging at standard rate if you're not using THEIR charging pad. It says universal wireless charging but only at standard and not quickcharge speeds. Also, on wireless charging the device charges first and then the Mophie
There is no other color other than black
The Mophie remains off and ready until you press and hold the button next to the indicator lights after which the Mophie starts trickling charge to the device
They charge sales tax

I ordered mine on backorder. Will be worth it to be able to get through a whole day without running down to nothing.

Borh77

Apr 27, 2011
Paris
Hello
I have a question regarding battery cases : when using a battery case, does it use the main battery or does the phone draw directly the power from the battery case ?
Thank you

sanjsrik

As stated in my post directly above yours:

The Mophie remains off and ready until you press and hold the button next to the indicator lights after which the Mophie starts trickling charge to the device

You have to manually turn the Mophie on to have it trickle a charge to the device.

levjaskulski

Oct 25, 2016
Krakow
I haven't seen a Mophie for the S8 or S8+. I am angry with them. They got articles all over the net about the launch and all they did to me is to lose patience. Not Good. Not Good at all. Will there be any pictures of the case? I want to see one. I am seriously thinking of getting a chinese one for 40$. Or wait for Zerolemon or I-blades. But Mophie... no way!

sanjsrik

I haven't seen a Mophie for the S8 or S8+. I am angry with them. They got articles all over the net about the launch and all they did to me is to lose patience. Not Good. Not Good at all. Will there be any pictures of the case? I want to see one. I am seriously thinking of getting a chinese one for 40$. Or wait for Zerolemon or I-blades. But Mophie... no way!

the pictures on their website are pretty accurate. I'm about to update the review with more information about charging.

Stay AWAY from the iblades, they're crap. Pure and simple marketing crap. Read the website, they're really crap.

Last edited:

lynx2k

Jul 14, 2005
Hello

Can the secondary juice pack charge the phone directly without the charge force case?

Top Liked Posts