• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Most Reliable Unit out of box

Search This thread

srohang1

Jul 1, 2015
Hey everyone,

I have been searching and reading up on these android head units for a few weeks. Sounds like they really are hit or miss.

My Car: 2011 Toyota Highlander (no JBL amp), has oem backup camera, and oem bluetooth

I purchased the newest/greatest OKNAVI head unit (TS10 6gb ram, 128gb) on aliexpress, and had software and gps signal issues. After flashing with firmware provided by the seller among some other things they reco'ed, I am returning it.

So, here I am on a quest to buy something that works well and is dependable.

My research tells me that there are a couple better known brands with better customer support (Joying, Dasaita, and possibly Teyes). Any others that I am missing? Looking for a minimum of 4gb ram and 64gb storage. I believe the below units are all TS10 models, or at least the newer ones?

Joying: $400 including shipping
  • 2 year warranty
Dasaita: $540 including shipping
  • 1 year warranty
Teyes CC3: $409 including shipping
  • 1 year warranty

I have an android phone and I want clean intuitive interface, screen mirroring, phone and music bluetooth, ability to add external amplifier (rca outputs/remote turn on), GPS nav, and steering wheel controls. It seems that all 3 units can do all of the above.

Would really appreciate everyone's opinion on which I should order based on your experiences.

Lastly, is the 4gb ram/64gb storage upgrade to 6gb ram/128 gb storage worth it? I don't care too much about space, but wondering if there is a significant difference on performance/speed.

Thanks yall!

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
There aren't any; you have to accept bugs, problems, and quality control luck of the draw. I'd think about these as being hobbyist devices.

You have listed resellers, not factory types. If anything you probably want to consider an MTCD/E unit, the Dasaita unit is HA MTCD/E.

Teyes and Joying are generally
FYT units. Suggest asking before you buy, so you know what you're buying. Since you're asking the question, I suggest there's more thought and reading involved.

srohang1

Jul 1, 2015
There aren't any; you have to accept bugs, problems, and quality control luck of the draw. I'd think about these as being hobbyist devices.

You have listed resellers, not factory types. If anything you probably want to consider an MTCD/E unit, the Dasaita unit is HA MTCD/E.

FYT units. Suggest asking before you buy, so you know what you're buying. Since you're asking the question, I suggest there's more thought and reading involved.
Really appreciate your honest reply as a newbie to Android head units. Totally agree I need to do much more research. I'm actually really confused about the MTCD/E units vs FYT, I'll do some reading to catch up. I think there are a lot of people in the same newbie boat as I am and a lot of the threads I have read are older so not sure how up to date that info is, as it is a changing environment.

These resellers use the same unit and customize it? I can be okay with some bugs and troubleshooting just want something that can do what is advertised. If there's anyway you could help me determine the difference between MTCD/E and FYT, I'd appreciate it. I'll be googling that tonight. There's so much info on xda, I'm just not sure what is relevant. I hate to even post this thread as someone will do the same soon, but hoping the community can provide some thoughts or recos. Thanks I'm advance bud!

srohang1

Jul 1, 2015

Really appreciate your honest reply as a newbie to Android head units. Totally agree I need to do much more research. I'm actually really confused about the MTCD/E units vs FYT, I'll do some reading to catch up. I think there are a lot of people in the same newbie boat as I am and a lot of the threads I have read are older so not sure how up to date that info is, as it is a changing environment.

These resellers use the same unit and customize it? I can be okay with some bugs and troubleshooting just want something that can do what is advertised. If there's anyway you could help me determine the difference between MTCD/E and FYT, I'd appreciate it. I'll be googling that tonight. There's so much info on xda, I'm just not sure what is relevant. I hate to even post this thread as someone will do the same soon, but hoping the community can provide some thoughts or recos. Thanks I'm advanc
Screen mirroring is probably going to be the trickiest. Why mirror when you have full android? Mirroring is flaky and gets broken often.

Good point, tell me if screen mirroring is a necessity. I won't have a sim card for internet, my phone hotspot is 3g, and I want to have some decent NAV app. Only reason I was thinking that screen mirroring would be important.

marchnz

Nov 26, 2012
wombleton
Really appreciate your honest reply as a newbie to Android head units.
Just as an FYI - These units are a hacked Android and not Android Auto.
These resellers use the same unit and customize it?

Yes. Customize "loosely".

I can be okay with some bugs and troubleshooting just want something that can do what is advertised.
As advertised :)

The resellers are typically creative with what they advertise. Promises are abundant.

Good point, tell me if screen mirroring is a necessity.

I suggest AVOIDING screen mirroring as a requirement. This "feature" is often a hack and breaks regularly with Phone Android or iOS updates.

** If you want screen mirroring, suggest considering a genuine Android Auto head unit.

A list of officially sanctioned head unit can be found here. Anything else is a Knock off and should be avoided.

firstbob

Jun 4, 2021
I have OKNAVI (TS10 WINDOW-THEME1) unit and I have no major issues - no freezes, runs fast, touchscreen works, there's no buzz or hum. My GPS is accurate to 2m. Original firmware from January lost GPS accuracy to 15m every so often, July firmware seems to have fixed that (strongest GPS signal is 51 and others in the 40s)

Besides not supporting NA 4G, my issues with the unit are cosmetic or functional - such as navigation voice cuts in/out instead of fade in/out, rudimentary, hard to use with only one user preset EQ. Lack of root is another. Also I wish I had an option for double press and long press steering controls like on TEYES.

After using 4GB/64GB unit, I think 3GB unit would be the minimum for Android 10 (I don't use default launcher however). If I was buying one now I would probably get 3GB Teyes CC2 Plus or CC3 just because it can be rooted and more options for steering controls, build in fan is also nice.

I think TEYES is FYE not TS10/TOPWAY like OKNAVI.

Last edited: