Moto 2nd gen XT1072 - ROM, Version and Camera problems

Search This thread

Firel246

Jul 18, 2013
I've got a problem with Motorola Moto G 2014 LTE XT1072...
It looks like it is the MOTO G 2014 LTE version, from what I could read from the internet about XT1072. However, all ROMS for XT1072 are THEA, and my Motorola is TITAN. I don't understand why I've got TITAN -. everywhere I look, I see THEA XT1072 and TITAN for devices lower than 1072

Because of this thea/titan problem I flashed some ROMs dedicated for MOTO G 2014 version, hpwever:
1. Some ROMs are not compatible(can't even flash) because bootloader version 4882 is required. I've got 4821.
2. Older ROMs (Android 4.4 or 5.1) sometimes work fine, however on every single one of them the camera doesn't work. It did work on stock rom.

My questions:
1. Any ideas why my camera doesnt work?
2. How to update bootloader to 4882?
3. Is it possible to change my device from titan to thea?

Last edited:

FCorvin

Nov 2, 2015
Your device is Thea.
Most likely, at the time you rooted it, you used TWRP 2.8.6.0, which had support for both Moto G 2014 (Titan & Thea). And then you went ahead and flashed some ROM for Titan - and it worked just fine.

1. If you still use a Titan ROM, one of the bugs is that original Motorola apps don't show up in Google Playstore.
Try to flash this one.
2. You can't and don't have to update your bootloader to 4882. What you need to do is to edit two files in any Titan ROM and add your bootloader number (4821) and Thea model product (1072) to trick the install verification.
3. Your device is Thea. Unless you buy a XT106x, it will always be Thea.

Reactions: Firel246

FCorvin

Nov 2, 2015
Well, as long as you are '100%"...
Still, check again by your IMEI (click on the DON'T KNOW? and find out your IMEI number and enter it there).
If they are unable to find your model, enter the IMEI here.

Mind you, the XT1072 goes by any of the following code-names:
MOTO G 2 XT1072, MOTO G 2015 XT1072, MOTO G LTE 2ND GEN, MOTO G2 4G XT1072, SM4031AE7B1, THEA XT1072, TI12410745, XT1072

Firel246

Jul 18, 2013
well, as long as you are '100%"...
Still, check again by your imei (click on the don't know? And find out your imei number and enter it there).
If they are unable to find your model, enter the imei here.

Mind you, the xt1072 goes by any of the following code-names:
Moto g 2 xt1072, moto g 2015 xt1072, moto g lte 2nd gen, moto g2 4g xt1072, sm4031ae7b1, thea xt1072, ti12410745, xt1072

moto g with lte (2nd generation), ti12410745

FCorvin

Nov 2, 2015
I have an XT1072 (Thea) and I use only Titan ROMs ever since I unlocked it. They are updated more frequently and there is a particular one, Temasek-based, that I believe is the only one worth using as Android 6. And it is maintained only for Titan, so...
Most people will tell you, "Oh, no, it's impossible". In bolded exclamations.
Yet here we are. Because Thea and Titan are almost identical - and by "almost" I mean not exactly the same, but almost.
Then, others will list lots of bugs if you attempt to cross-install.
Well, I encountered none - if you don't count the facts that Motorola-signed apps don't show up in PlayStore and there is no icon for 4G in Titan - my network says H+ instead of 4G. But that's because our LTEs are cooler than Titans, so... The speed is equivalent to the theoretical 4G - only the symbol is missing.

Maybe you encountered a camera-bug using a Titan ROM on a Thea.
But have you tried a different app? Is your camera nonfunctional or is it just an app thing? ROMs have buil-in camera apps - try a different one from Playstore. Or the one I suggested earlier, Moto-made.

Maybe you did something else to your phone when you managed to install a Titan ROM. Maybe someone else did it for you.
In my phone's Settings specs, it shows Titan everywhere - but it is the ROM's signature, not the actual device. My Moto G XT1072, just like yours, is Thea.

Firel246

Jul 18, 2013
I see. Thanks.
When I flash a thea ROM, TWRP says I am titan and can't do it. Do I only need to download TWRP 2.8.6.0 and as you said - edit "metadata" and "updater-script" files, so they include Thea bootloader and product device?

FCorvin

Nov 2, 2015
TWRP 2.8.6.0 was the last one that had support for both Moto G 2014.
If you look at the versions baked for Thea, there was no TWRP before 2.8.7.0.

SO:
- if you plan to make Thea ROMs work on your phone, as Moto-God intended, you should use the latest for Thea.
- if you want to stick to Titan ROMs (with modded files, as shown above), you will have to use TWRP 2.8.6.0. The later versions won't work at all, let alone let themselves tricked by modified signatures.

However.
Flashing new and different ROMs requires lots of wiping. Follow the tutorials and make sure you know what you're doing - once deleted, you WILL lose and the so-so working system you have now. Because you have to delete everything - else will be conflicts and unexpected bugs all over again.

Last edited:

Firel246

Jul 18, 2013
I did as you said. Everything works. I installed CM13 and camera works perfectly. Thank you very much for help :)

Rox5

Feb 4, 2014
I have an XT1072 (Thea) and I use only Titan ROMs ever since I unlocked it. They are updated more frequently and there is a particular one, Temasek-based, that I believe is the only one worth using as Android 6. And it is maintained only for Titan, so...
Yet here we are. Because Thea and Titan are almost identical - and by "almost" I mean not exactly the same, but almost.
Then, others will list lots of bugs if you attempt to cross-install..

Some update in 2019 about using Titan builds for Thea, Moto G Titan and Thea being real twins.
As there is no yet working LineageOS_15 or 16 builds available for Thea, I've tried using lineage-16.0-20190311-UNOFFICIAL-titan build on my XT1072_thea, and it works with two remarks:
1 - operation compatible with twrp-3.2.3-0-thea.img recovery (the latest for Thea)
2 - 4G/LTE is not enabled (only H+).
Test done .... for "test purpose", although often reported "impossible".

Reactions: Andrio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Your device is Thea.
    Most likely, at the time you rooted it, you used TWRP 2.8.6.0, which had support for both Moto G 2014 (Titan & Thea). And then you went ahead and flashed some ROM for Titan - and it worked just fine.

1. If you still use a Titan ROM, one of the bugs is that original Motorola apps don't show up in Google Playstore.
    Try to flash this one.
    2. You can't and don't have to update your bootloader to 4882. What you need to do is to edit two files in any Titan ROM and add your bootloader number (4821) and Thea model product (1072) to trick the install verification.
    3. Your device is Thea. Unless you buy a XT106x, it will always be Thea.
    Well, as long as you are '100%"...
    Still, check again by your IMEI (click on the DON'T KNOW? and find out your IMEI number and enter it there).
    If they are unable to find your model, enter the IMEI here.

Mind you, the XT1072 goes by any of the following code-names:
    MOTO G 2 XT1072, MOTO G 2015 XT1072, MOTO G LTE 2ND GEN, MOTO G2 4G XT1072, SM4031AE7B1, THEA XT1072, TI12410745, XT1072
    Yeah. Congrats, your phone is indeed a Moto Thea.
    Then, others will list lots of bugs if you attempt to cross-install.
    Well, I encountered none - if you don't count the facts that Motorola-signed apps don't show up in PlayStore and there is no icon for 4G in Titan - my network says H+ instead of 4G. But that's because our LTEs are cooler than Titans, so... The speed is equivalent to the theoretical 4G - only the symbol is missing.

Maybe you encountered a camera-bug using a Titan ROM on a Thea.
    But have you tried a different app? Is your camera nonfunctional or is it just an app thing? ROMs have buil-in camera apps - try a different one from Playstore. Or the one I suggested earlier, Moto-made.

Maybe you did something else to your phone when you managed to install a Titan ROM. Maybe someone else did it for you.
    In my phone's Settings specs, it shows Titan everywhere - but it is the ROM's signature, not the actual device. My Moto G XT1072, just like yours, is Thea.
    TWRP 2.8.6.0 was the last one that had support for both Moto G 2014.
    If you look at the versions baked for Thea, there was no TWRP before 2.8.7.0.

SO:
    - if you plan to make Thea ROMs work on your phone, as Moto-God intended, you should use the latest for Thea.
    - if you want to stick to Titan ROMs (with modded files, as shown above), you will have to use TWRP 2.8.6.0. The later versions won't work at all, let alone let themselves tricked by modified signatures.

However.
    Flashing new and different ROMs requires lots of wiping. Follow the tutorials and make sure you know what you're doing - once deleted, you WILL lose and the so-so working system you have now. Because you have to delete everything - else will be conflicts and unexpected bugs all over again.