Moto e6 Straight Talk varient (XT2005DL)

Search This thread
I'm looking for any information for this phone on:
Rooting
Bootloader unlocking
Magisk
TWRP
etc...

Any help is appreciated
Greetings @jhavron. Very sorry for such a belated reply to your inquiry for info. I just ran across your post.
Like most AT&T, Verizon & TracFone (Straight Talk & Net10) branded Motorola devices, the XT2005DL is not supported by Motorola's bootloader unlocking protocol. As such, rooting, TWRP, Magisk, etc., are not possible. Anybody familiar with Motorola devices can confirm that devices with perma-locked bootloaders are as tough as Fort Knox when it comes to security -- especially Moto devices manufactured from 2015 to the present. For example, the Verizon Moto E (2nd Gen) LTE from 2015 cannot be bootloader unlocked. Now, over 5 years later, there is still no known method for the xt1528 device. Such is also the case with the XT2005DL: its locked down status will prevent any type of rooting methods or custom recovery flashes from working.
I wish my news could be more favorable.

Last edited:

Jbrown728

Apr 30, 2020
Dallas Ga
Ok well is it possible to flash stock firmware onto the moto e6 xt2005dl with a locked bootloader. I keep getting image primary_gpt failed validation. I thought stock firmware could be flashed onto any device with locked bootloader.

Ok well is it possible to flash stock firmware onto the moto e6 xt2005dl with a locked bootloader. I keep getting image primary_gpt failed validation. I thought stock firmware could be flashed onto any device with locked bootloader.
Again, sorry for such a belated reply. Yes, you are correct. Regardless of bootloader locked/unlocked state, you can flash your device with the official stock firmware package using fastboot mode, RSD-Lite, or the Lenovo-Moto Smart Rescue utility. There is but one rule of thumb to keep in mind: you can flash only a firmware package that is the same or a newer version than the version presently on your device. A locked bootloader will not allow you to downgrade firmware versions.
Official Motorola stock firmware packages for the XT2005DL (Codename: surfna) are available from this link. Again, it is recommended that you use the most recent build available, as downgrading firmware versions with a locked bootloader isn't permitted.
I have posted a step-by-step installation guide here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...en-stock-firmware-installation-guide.4191961/

Last edited:
Reactions: jhavron

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting
    Bootloader unlocking
    Magisk
    TWRP
    etc...

Any help is appreciated
    Greetings @jhavron. Very sorry for such a belated reply to your inquiry for info. I just ran across your post.
    Like most AT&T, Verizon & TracFone (Straight Talk & Net10) branded Motorola devices, the XT2005DL is not supported by Motorola's bootloader unlocking protocol. As such, rooting, TWRP, Magisk, etc., are not possible. Anybody familiar with Motorola devices can confirm that devices with perma-locked bootloaders are as tough as Fort Knox when it comes to security -- especially Moto devices manufactured from 2015 to the present. For example, the Verizon Moto E (2nd Gen) LTE from 2015 cannot be bootloader unlocked. Now, over 5 years later, there is still no known method for the xt1528 device. Such is also the case with the XT2005DL: its locked down status will prevent any type of rooting methods or custom recovery flashes from working.
    I wish my news could be more favorable.
    Rooting
    Bootloader unlocking
    Magisk
    TWRP
    etc...

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks for replying. I's good to know that someone reads the posts from the little guys. :good:
    Again, sorry for such a belated reply. Yes, you are correct. Regardless of bootloader locked/unlocked state, you can flash your device with the official stock firmware package using fastboot mode, RSD-Lite, or the Lenovo-Moto Smart Rescue utility. There is but one rule of thumb to keep in mind: you can flash only a firmware package that is the same or a newer version than the version presently on your device. A locked bootloader will not allow you to downgrade firmware versions.
    Official Motorola stock firmware packages for the XT2005DL (Codename: surfna) are available from this link. Again, it is recommended that you use the most recent build available, as downgrading firmware versions with a locked bootloader isn't permitted.
    I have posted a step-by-step installation guide here https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...en-stock-firmware-installation-guide.4191961/