Moto G 2015 SD card Problem (Android Marshmallow)

Search This thread

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
Ok, thanks for that, you explained that well for me, so if I format the sd card as Internal or Adopted, I can have more usable internal storage space, which is good, because my phone now without a card is showing 2.13GB used internal storage of 4.53GB. So not much storage space left. So now I need to find out how you can copy Windows 7 PC music files to the phone. I assume I can't just USB cable the phone to the PC and copy paste music files to the phone, I am assuming that will not work.

Just realize that if you pick internal storage, there is no way to copy the music files to the SD card

Update: what I did today was insert the new 32GB SD card into the phone and Formatted it as Internal Storage, then connected the phone to my PC to view phone info and the PC says my Android Marshmallow phone has
5.65GB used of 36.56GB, Android OS 3.47GB , Internal Storage 2.12GB used of 4.53GB, SD Card 55.38MB used of 28.56GB
Then with phone connected to PC I created a new folder on the phone called My Music then in My Music created MP3, then I went into my PC's music folder copied a folder called The Police and pasted that folder in the phone under MotoG3 > SD Card > Music > My Music > MP3
Then disconnected phone from PC and using Google Play on phone searched for a music player app called Power Amp free, (14 day free trial) selected Install and it is now on my phone playing music from the The Police mp3 files. So next I will try copy pasting iTunes folders with m4a music files to phone. All appears to be working ok so far and I do believe formatting the SD card as Internal Storage works and is the way to go. I went into the phone Settings and Apps and tapped on Power Amp to see if it had downloaded to the phone into Internal Storage or SD Card, and it's on the card so I didn't have to move it to the card from Internal. So yes when selecting Internal format for the SD card the new installs will go to the card.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

OH, by the way, where you say a sd card formatted as Adopted Storage I said Internal Storage in my previous post, which means the same. Internal Storage = Adopted Storage although on the phone the Format Option just says either Portable or Internal

If you copied the mp3 file to what is listed as SDCARD on your phone as viewed from your pc, that refers to the internal phone memory, not the external SD card. You will discover this as you add more songs and watch your phones internal storage shrink. Now the music app is another story and could have been installed to the external SD card. If that was your intent then great, but that is useless for me, and is why I switched to portable storage yesterday, so I could store my music on the SD card and conserve my phones main memory. I have plenty of space for apps, so I could care less about adaptive internal storage.

Last edited:

tom_eastcoast

Feb 14, 2016
Halifax
here's my folder structure for the phone , motog3 > sd card > music > my music > mp3 > the police (the police folder has the mp3 music files)
both music files and music player app is on the card, which was formatted as Internal, I can see that folder structure on my PC when I plug phone into PC and can copy paste into and out of those folders on the phone, which shows as having 55.38MB used of 28.56GB

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

you can copy paste files to and from the phone when card is formatted internal

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Just install a 32GB card in your phone and then format it as Internal and never remove it, that's what I did and never going to remove the card, and when you need to add music files from your PC to the phone, just plug the phone into PC and copy paste music files to the folders under Music > My Music. the Power Amp music app can read them there.

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I just created a new folder on the phone under Music > My Music > iTunes and then copy pasted a music folder on my PC containing .m4a file formats and its now on the phone and playing thru Power Amp

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
I still can't believe that Windows can see an encrypted ext3/4 partition One possibility is that there is a link from the Music directory in internal storage to the encrypted SD card. Keep an eye on Settings > Storage as you add Music files and if the SD keeps getting used up then it is working. If internal storage fills up it is not working. Be aware that other space is being used in SD card by various other app files.

Last edited:

tom_eastcoast

Feb 14, 2016
Halifax
I still can't believe that Windows can see an encrypted ext3/4 partition

Have you tried allowing the Developers options menu on your phone in Settings? with that option and the sd card formatted as Internal, your PC can see it. It's the way to go. I was originally thinking to make my sd card like everyone else, Portable cause I know how those work, but this new Marshmallow Internal Storage system is the way to go. The only down side if there is one is that the sd card is locked to only that phone.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

If you or anyone else is going to do this, get the 32GB sd card, because going smaller is not much help.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

oh, I just remembered that when I formatted the sd card as Internal, after formatting was done I got a message saying that the card was slow, I used a Lexar 32GB microSDHC class 10, I think a 633x UHS-1 card would have been better but it was more expensive.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

I just checked my phone, with the music app on it and those mp3 and m4a files, and I am comparing Internal storage numbers from yesterday before I did the card install, and Internal storage numbers are the same, so the app and music files are for sure on the card.

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
I still can't believe that Windows can see an encrypted ext3/4 partition

Have you tried allowing the Developers options menu on your phone in Settings? with that option and the sd card formatted as Internal, your PC can see it. It's the way to go. I was originally thinking to make my sd card like everyone else, Portable cause I know how those work, but this new Marshmallow Internal Storage system is the way to go. The only down side if there is one is that the sd card is locked to only that phone.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

If you or anyone else is going to do this, get the 32GB sd card, because going smaller is not much help.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

oh, I just remembered that when I formatted the sd card as Internal, after formatting was done I got a message saying that the card was slow, I used a Lexar 32GB microSDHC class 10, I think a 633x UHS-1 card would have been better but it was more expensive.

I imagine you mean with usb debugging enabled.. I have developer options enabled but can't say I remember trying it with USB debugging enabled, so that might be the key. Like I said keep an eye where your space is being used up.

tom_eastcoast

Feb 14, 2016
Halifax
Actually, in looking at this in detail, yesterday before I did the card install, phone Internal storage was 2.13 GB used of 4.52 GB total.
As of now after the card install and music app and files on the phone, Internal storage is 2.12 GB used of 4.53 GB total.

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
That's good news. Do you have the capability to do a TWRP backup? That was my other problem. My PC could not see the backup files. Would like to know if USB debugging would make them appear.

tom_eastcoast

Feb 14, 2016
Halifax
So space wise, everything I did today is going on the card and not in internal storage.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

I don't know what TWRP means, I am just a newbie guy and know nothing what-so-ever

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Yes, the key is in Developers options USB Debugging must be turned ON, also turn ON Verify apps over USB

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
I still can't believe that Windows can see an encrypted ext3/4 partition...
It doesn't, it doesn't see ANY partitions of any filesystem type, well, not directly, on an Android device since before KitKat, and even then it was via USB Mass Storage mode, which really wasn't "direct" partition access. Android devices are seen as media device that use MPT (Media Transfer Protocol) since then. If you want to understand how these transfers work, look here: http://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/

tom_eastcoast

Feb 14, 2016
Halifax
ok help me out here because I don't really understand what pjc123 is trying to do? Is he trying to see the sd card from the PC to copy paste files to on the phone?

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
I am glad you got it working, but I am good to go. I decided to stick with portable storage. It works out much better for me. First of all I don't want my apps on the rmuch slower SD card, which according to the test results I see is even much slower than that when you add encryption. Secondly I am going to be storing many gigs of songs and a couple of TWRP backups at 4GB each, so portable storage is perfect for that. That gives me more space left on the phones internal memory than I would ever need.

Here are the speed results of my phone using portable storage, so this is without the added ding of encryption, so basically the SD card is 1/2 the speed of the phones internal memory.. I have a Sandisk 32GG extreme card, so it is no slouch, although you could pay a lot more for the next level up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160217-045553.png
    Screenshot_20160217-045553.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
Here is my speed results using the sd card formatted as internal storage, can you interpret these numbers for me please pjc.

I can't vouch for the credibility of the app, but certainly that tells me by selecting internal storage you have degraded the phones internal memory speed from 109.53 MB/s read / 43.33 MB/s write to 20.62 MB/s read / 6.66 MB/s write. That is horrific and worse than I thought. I can't speak for the SD card because they could be different manufacturers or model numbers.

Last edited:

tom_eastcoast

Feb 14, 2016
Halifax
The sd card package only says 32GB microSDHC Class 10, I can't find any speed reading on it but when I did the format the phone did message the card was slow

pjc123

Feb 7, 2013
www.flaminghellmet.com
I wouldn't worry about the slow speed warning. Apparently everyone is getting it, including myself. My card is a Sandisk Extreme. I would like to see the difference of my card set up as internal storage, but I am not going to switch back and reinstall everything. That would be the only way to truly compare. But your extremely slow internal speeds are very telling. Hey, if you don't notice any lag in your applications then who cares; at least you have more space. To me the Moto G is much slower than my old Nexus 4 to start with, so I want every bit of speed improvement possible.

Last edited:

vicky18189

Jun 16, 2014
Vadodara
Xiaomi Mi A2
I am getting the Error "Unsupported Samsung SD Card - This device doesn't support this Samsung SD card. Touch to set up in a supported format."
'Error After restarting'

Screenshot_20160311-014651.jpg

Screenshot_20160311-013951.png

When I try to set up as Portable Storage, it just show "Samsung SD Card is Ready" but in the Storage and USB settings it doesn't mount.
Screenshot_20160311-014002.png
(Also I did a factory reset of the mobile too.)
When I try to set up as Internal Storage. It give another error : " command '18 volume partition disk:179,64 private' failed with '400 18 Command failed' " (Here, I noticed one thing that the # '18' increments each time at both places, which might mean how many times I tried formatting, I guess)
'Error when trying to format as Internal Storage'
Screenshot_20160311-001323.jpg

Can anyone please help on this as I have 2 SD Cards in the Same Condition : The above one is Samsung EVO+ 32 GB and another is Samsung EVO 16 Gb. :(

Have not tried using i on PC as I have read here in one other post that it could brick the cards too. :crying:
(Moto G3 16 GB : No custom ROM. Running on Stock android,no customization)

Also please let me know, if I have to post this in another thread or create a new thread for it. Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

twisterdroid

Dec 27, 2010
Austin, TX
I would suggest trying to format using your PC. Or GParted if you want total control of the formatting/partitioning process.

Unless the microSD card itself is flaky, there's no way formatting on a PC could brick the card.

Reactions: vicky18189

s0umzta

Aug 31, 2015
REformat SD CARD

So I'm on Android Marshmallow on Motorola Moto G3(2015) and have formatted my SD card as internal storage. Its not working after a month now for some unknown reasons and showing "unsupported sandisk sd card (32gb HC1). i do not care about the data. i want my SD card to be normal as like when i bought it. how to do so ?

The mobile is not able to recognize it or reformat it as internal storage/portable storage .

NOTE: my problem is the same as @vicky18189 posted

Last edited:

vicky18189

Jun 16, 2014
Vadodara
Xiaomi Mi A2
I would suggest trying to format using your PC. Or GParted if you want total control of the formatting/partitioning process.

Unless the microSD card itself is flaky, there's no way formatting on a PC could brick the card.
I tried formatting, deleting, wiping partition and volume etc using computer in both Windows and Linux but still no luck. One 32 GB card at least shows space of 17 MB android meta and 29 GB Android extended in Disk utility in Ubuntu. (Tried gparted also will update post with details soon)
In Windows it shows " online : no meda " in DISKPART for list disks command. And gives error every time while doing anything with it.
Will update the post with details as soon as I can.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi.

I'm using my SD card Kingston SDC10/32GB as internal storage like a year ago, and some months ago it started suddenly switching off continuously .

In Settings -> Storage I found the SDCard not mounted, so I re-activated it being capable of accesing data and apps in the SD card again.

This happend practically everyday.

But two weeks ago in one of this activations , in Settings -> Storage showed me only some folders, and the same behaviour happend while connecting device with computer through MTP.

If I analyse disk space, it shows me equivalent space of my old files labeled as "Other", while they are Music, Pictures and Videos

I suppose i'll need to retire this SD card, but I was wondering if I can recover my files. The mobile is this MotoG3 .
    Not if it was internal storage... it is encrypted and if the file system is corrupt there is virtually no chance of this being recoverable.

Unfortunately we are discovering that using an SD card as internal storage buts extreme stress on the device, and any weakness will be exasperated significantly and the life of the card is reduced due to very high amounts of writing data. "Bargain" or lower end cards like this Kingston do not seem to have the longevity for extended use as internal storage, which is why higher quality cards like Samsung EVO+ or Pro series, Sandisk Extreme Plus, Lexar Professional 633x, and similar high grade UHS-1 or UHS-3 cards are recommended for internal storage.