• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Moto G Dalvik patch

Search This thread

ItzMar

Nov 14, 2012
Hi all,

I have a nexus 5 and hear alot in the forums about a Moto dalvik patch from the Moto X. Does this come to the Moto G? Is it already included with the Moto G?

I have very little knowledge.

I plan on getting a Moto G for my Mum for christmas.

Last edited:

debaj

Dec 8, 2010
Budapest
Please somebody correct me if I'm mistaken, but this Dalvik/Bionic mod you are talking about is for Android 4.4. We won't get the new Android flavour until the end of January.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Hi all,

I have a nexus 5 and hear alot in the forums about a Moto dalvik patch from the Moto X. Does this come to the Moto G? Is it already included with the Moto G?

No, the Dalvik/bionic patches in question are, I am fairly certain, not from Motorola, but Qualcomm ones from CodeAurora. Many custom firmwares include these (Omni is working on integrating them, but we're tracking down some performance regressions on hammerhead)

HOWEVER: They are specific to Qualcomm Krait CPUs. The G is, I believe, a Cortex-A7 based device (need to check), not Krait. Krait optimizations will very likely not work as expected.

obvious

Mar 8, 2005
Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
No, the Dalvik/bionic patches in question are, I am fairly certain, not from Motorola, but Qualcomm ones from CodeAurora. Many custom firmwares include these (Omni is working on integrating them, but we're tracking down some performance regressions on hammerhead)

HOWEVER: They are specific to Qualcomm Krait CPUs. The G is, I believe, a Cortex-A7 based device (need to check), not Krait. Krait optimizations will very likely not work as expected.

Oh, hello Entropy512 /waves

Tell me you're getting a moto g .... ?

mykenyc

Jun 16, 2009
Phoenix

The Moto G runs the Snapdragon 400 CPU and according to WIKI it is Krait, not trying to be a smart a** but correct me if i'm wrong.

zwliew

Dec 12, 2013
Singapore
github.com
I guess you are right, but there could be some differences between Snapdragon 400 and 600(?) what Moto X and Nexus 5 has that could cause some headaches.

The Moto G runs the Snapdragon 400 CPU and according to WIKI it is Krait, not trying to be a smart a** but correct me if i'm wrong.

The Moto G has the quad-core Cortex-A7(Note; not Krait) version of the Snapdragon 400. There are other versions of the Snapdragon 400, which is the dual-core Krait 200/300 version of the Snapdragon 400.

For example, the Galaxy S4 mini has a dual-core Krait 300 version of the Snapdragon 400, the Galaxy Ace 3 has the dual-core Krait 200 version, and lastly Moto G has the quad-core Cortex-A7 version.

xboxfanj

Recognized Developer
Apr 24, 2011
St. Louis

All of the bionic patches are on CAF, but dalvik aren't. Both patches come with any non-nexus qcom stock rom, so no need to flash on a stock-based ROM, but they will affect AOSP ROMs, since most don't have them included. QCOM dalvik uses libqc-opt, a proprietary library, and libqc-dalvik, a static library which is tough to find unless you have connections, and even if you do, you can't release the libraries, so you have to use prebuilts rather than being able to build from source.

Also, these don't seem to be specific to Qualcomm. Other devices have flashed these and reported a large benchmark increase and some performance increases as well. Could be all placebo, though. It's hard to say. This doesn't appear to be an app spy, like Samsung's DVFS, where it ramps up the freqs when it detects a benchmark app, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. @Entropy512, if you have time, go on Hangouts.

TL;DR: If you're running a stock-based ROM, no need to flash the Moto X patches, you already have them. If you run an AOSP ROM, chances are, you won't have the Qualcomm Dalvik, so flash that. Many ROMs (PA, CM, etc) already have the CAF bionic, so no need to flash that either. If you want to know, PM me and I can look and report back to you.

techguyone

Mar 5, 2011
To be honest as Google appear to be phasing out Dalvik in favour of their own ART, i'm not sure why you'd want to bother with something that at best is likely to be only around a short time. I'm quite looking forward to see what ART brings to the mix now and in the future when it's more established.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Oh, hello Entropy512 /waves

Tell me you're getting a moto g .... ?

Arrived last night. Not sure how much time I'll actually be able to spend on it, but I hope to get omni at least started on it.

All of the bionic patches are on CAF, but dalvik aren't. Both patches come with any non-nexus qcom stock rom, so no need to flash on a stock-based ROM, but they will affect AOSP ROMs, since most don't have them included. QCOM dalvik uses libqc-opt, a proprietary library, and libqc-dalvik, a static library which is tough to find unless you have connections, and even if you do, you can't release the libraries, so you have to use prebuilts rather than being able to build from source.

Also, these don't seem to be specific to Qualcomm. Other devices have flashed these and reported a large benchmark increase and some performance increases as well. Could be all placebo, though. It's hard to say. This doesn't appear to be an app spy, like Samsung's DVFS, where it ramps up the freqs when it detects a benchmark app, but I'm not exactly sure how it works. @Entropy512, if you have time, go on Hangouts.

TL;DR: If you're running a stock-based ROM, no need to flash the Moto X patches, you already have them. If you run an AOSP ROM, chances are, you won't have the Qualcomm Dalvik, so flash that. Many ROMs (PA, CM, etc) already have the CAF bionic, so no need to flash that either. If you want to know, PM me and I can look and report back to you.
    Hi all,

I guess you are right, but there could be some differences between Snapdragon 400 and 600(?) what Moto X and Nexus 5 has that could cause some headaches.

The Moto G has the quad-core Cortex-A7(Note; not Krait) version of the Snapdragon 400. There are other versions of the Snapdragon 400, which is the dual-core Krait 200/300 version of the Snapdragon 400.

For example, the Galaxy S4 mini has a dual-core Krait 300 version of the Snapdragon 400, the Galaxy Ace 3 has the dual-core Krait 200 version, and lastly Moto G has the quad-core Cortex-A7 version.
    Probably can work also on 4.3 but someone brave must try :D