• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General [Moto G Play](2021)(guamna) Stock firmware

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Moto G Play (2021)
Stock Firmware
Codename: guamna
Model: XT-2093

Last edited:

fddm

Feb 24, 2011
Which one? My local T-Mo is offering this or a Moto E 2020. This one's winning. It'll be nice if it can be rooted. Just asking cause T-Mo hasn't been root/bootloader unlock friendly with most of its phones. I saw the E guide.
Yes, this was with a T-Mobile phone. You unlock the bootloader, take boot.img from the lolinet link, patch it in Magisk, and flash through fastboot.

Omizuke

Dec 16, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 / S7 Plus
Yes, this was with a T-Mobile phone. You unlock the bootloader, take boot.img from the lolinet link, patch it in Magisk, and flash through fastboot.
Thanks so much for the info. How's the phone so far. My T-Mo has the promo but didn't actually had the phone >.>
They instead offered me a LG K51, not even close to the same phone. Wondering if its worth traveling around to other stores.

Reactions: tbirdguy

fddm

Feb 24, 2011
Thanks so much for the info. How's the phone so far. My T-Mo has the promo but didn't actually had the phone >.>
They instead offered me a LG K51, not even close to the same phone. Wondering if its worth traveling around to other stores.
Depends on the features your want, but I really don't have any complaints for this device. I have a friend that prefers devices with touch sensor swiping and dt2w, so he doesn't care much for these Motorola phones.

I prefer phones with good developer support and stock Android. Makes Moto phones an excellent fit for me. If you intend to run custom roms LG might be a poor choice as you generally loose features like VoLTE and VoWiFi.

Omizuke

Dec 16, 2010
Depends on the features your want, but I really don't have any complaints for this device. I have a friend that prefers devices with touch sensor swiping and dt2w, so he doesn't care much for these Motorola phones.

I prefer phones with good developer support and stock Android. Makes Moto phones an excellent fit for me. If you intend to run custom roms LG might be a poor choice as you generally loose features like VoLTE and VoWiFi.
Think is I don't actually need a phone, I have a V20 and 40. But I do need internet for next month, for which I'll just get a simply prepaid for that month. (My T-Mo plan is a grandfathered from 10+ years ago that's only $20, doesn't include high speed internet) And I saw a promo that if you buy in advance 3 months you can get the G Play or a E 2020. And figured, need only 1 but 3 months of unlimited internet is also good, specially if I get an okay phone. But if I can't root it. It could be a $1k flagship and I wouldn't care. And Moto's near stock looks very apealing. V40 has Lineage but as you said would lose VoLTE.
Moto looks like phones that would allow me to tinker, I miss my old HTCs. There was so much ROM variety and customization. Now it's either OEM optimized, or all the CFW look the same, aesthetically speaking, they look so bland. Man now that our phones are more powerfull I'd like to see a Sense 3-4. Loved that layout, as heavy as it was.
Sorry went on rant there. Anyway, I'd just like if the phone can be thinker with. And can handle some light gaming like FFBE and the text be readable.

fddm

Feb 24, 2011
Think is I don't actually need a phone, I have a V20 and 40. But I do need internet for next month, for which I'll just get a simply prepaid for that month.
Motorola phones are perfect for you then, I use them exclusively when tethering to a routers. Always easy to root. No dun restrictions in apn settings. All carrier spyware is in the product partition, easy to suss out and disable. Can't beat it.

Omizuke

Dec 16, 2010
Confirming you can flash the RETUS (retail US) rom on the tmob variant and it works wit minimal bloat (facebook and the stock moto crap)
Sweet! Thanks for the info, got mine the 8. Gonna wait the week and then start thinkiering with it.
And all bands and VoLTE work well? For my V40 I am limited what to flash if I don't wanna lose B71.
Still gotta deal with Carrier Device Manager, MCM Client and Mobile Installer? I disabled as much as I could without root, remove all permisions from those and "Digital Wllbeing" and McAfee and they're still pestering me. Specially MCM on the ntifications. Can't wait to root and get rid of everything. :p
But if crosflashing to RETUS can get rid of some of those I'll do that first.
(Well After I SIM unlock the phone, don't wanna have to deal with returning to stock for that)

fddm

Feb 24, 2011
But if crosflashing to RETUS can get rid of some of those I'll do that first.
(Well After I SIM unlock the phone, don't wanna have to deal with returning to stock for that)
It's generally fine to (entirely) cross flash Moto phones. Only difference between carrier and RETUS is the product partition afaik, so I don't bother personally. I just use a Magisk module to clear out the nondisable folder and I can then disable whatever I don't want.

kjjay

Sep 4, 2017
Moto G Play (2021)
Stock Firmware
Codename: guamna
Model: XT-2093

Is there a way to downgrade it to android 9?? Because alot is unsupported by android 10

tbirdguy

Feb 14, 2010
Springfield

I had swipe on fingerprint on g7power, worked good for pulling down notifications menu

Omizuke

Dec 16, 2010
I had swipe on fingerprint on g7power, worked good for pulling down notifications menu
Oh the play does have swipe sensore for notifications. And although it doesn't have dt2w I just tap it to the side, any slide movement wake the screen and you can the swipe to unlock. It does wake up for the littlest for movements so it can get a bit annoying.

Top Liked Posts