• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Moto G Power 2020 XT2041-4 TWRP 3.5.0-10 Touch screen & USB-OTG

Search This thread

krasevalex

Jun 10, 2019
Philadelphia
A) TOUCH SCREEN: I have 2 phones Moto G Power 2020 XT2041-4 Code name: SOFIA Firmware: QPMS30.80-109-5 and after installing TWRP I found that touch screen on one of the phones doesn't work. I started looking for the differences in these phones and I discovered that screen vendors of the phones are different and correspondingly they used different drivers, so with available unofficial TWRP 3.5.0-10 touch screen worked only for one phone. I had to provide drivers and references to these drivers in TWRP in order other phone's touch screen worked in TWRP. How I resoled the problem (step by step):
1) find out what screen vendor you have in your phone | install on your phone apk "Devices Info HW+" start it up and in "General" look for "LCM" records | I have in both my phones different vendors: "dsi_ft8756_tm_vid_display" & "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" | One phone Moto G Power with "dsi_ft8756_tm_vid_display" vendor had no problems with touch screen and other Moto G Power has no touch screen with "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" screen vendor.​
2) unpack TWRP with AIK (android-image-kitchen) | open file \ramdisk\sbin\load_ts_firmware.sh in notepad for editing and find this record:​
sofia)​
insmod $module_path/aw8695.ko​
firmware_file="focaltech-tianma-ft8756-0b-01-sofia.bin"​
then edit last line and exchange name of the firmware file so it would look like:​
sofia)​
firmware_file="focaltech-auo-ft8756-0b-01-sofiap.bin"​
save the file and repack TWRP in AIK | test your phone booting to a new repacked TWRP file | Touch screen must work now​
B) OTG: I noticed that in both of my Moto G Power I could not mount USB-OTG in TWRP. | I unpacked the TWRP with AIK and edited \ramdisk\etc\twrp.fstab file so last two lines should look like this:

/external_sd vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 flags=removable;storage;display="external_sd"​
/usb-otg auto /dev/block/sda1 flags=fsflags=utf8;display="usb-otg";storage;wipeingui;removable​

save the file and repack TWRP in AIK | test your phone booting to a new repacked TWRP file | USB-OTG must work now

That's all folks. Enjoy! :)

PS: Two attached files edited TWRP files based on unofficial TWRP 3.5.0-10 | "twrp-3.5.0-10_tm.img" for Moto G Power 2020 with "dsi_ft8756_tm_vid_display" touch screen vendor and "twrp-3.5.0-10_auo.img" for Moto G Power 2020 with "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" touch screen vendor. USB-OTG & touch screen are fixed.

Attachments

• twrp-3.5.0-10_auo.img
    41.4 MB · Views: 132
  • twrp-3.5.0-10_tm.img
    41.4 MB · Views: 136
Last edited:

krasevalex

Jun 10, 2019
Philadelphia
I took yours TWRP 3.5.2-10 and edited files same way as I wrote above: 1) "\ramdisk\system\etc\twrp.flags" to fix USB-OTG and 2) "\ramdisk\system\bin\load_modules.sh" to fix touch screen for the Sofia XT2041-4 with "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" vendor's display
Now both of my Moto G Power has updated TWRP and working touch screen and USB-OTG. Thank you for the TWRP 3.5.2-10 :)

PS: yes "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" is used for Moto G Stylus XT2043 (Code name: SOFIAP) but in my second Moto G Power XT2041-4 screen like in Moto G Stylus XT2043

Attachments

• twrp_3.5.2-10_tm.img
    33.6 MB · Views: 80
  • twrp_3.5.2-10_auo.img
    33.6 MB · Views: 90

Leroy_Sparks

Jun 12, 2018
Finally got around to trying this out. I can confirm that the 'auo' versions work with proper touchscreen operation! I tried out the 3.5.2-10_auo file, and although I didnt test it extensively, it looks to finally be the working TWRP many of us have been hoping for.

Good work guys, and thank you.

(BTW: anyone else who uses this from fastboot/command line note the 3.5.2 file uses a "_" after TWRP, rather than a "-" like the typical img files. My inattention to that detail had me scratching my head for a few minutes 😄)

Beetle84

Recognized Contributor
Is there any other way to find which screen you have? I tried the free version of the app you mentioned. It didn't have an LCM record. So I paid "plus" version of the app, and it doesn't show an LCM record either - maybe because I'm not rooted. I don't know. (I have an XT2041-4)
the app you need is called Device Info HW, and the info is listed under touchscreen in the first tab buddy 👍

Yeah, not so much. Like I said, I downloaded the app, it didn't show the info mentioned above. So I tried the paid "plus" version of the app. It showed the exact same info, but not the info mentioned above.
Screenshot_20211202-195933.png

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Yeah, not so much. Like I said, I downloaded the app, it didn't show the info mentioned above. So I tried the paid "plus" version of the app. It showed the exact same info, but not the info mentioned above.View attachment 5473507

Something similar happened while trying to determine the type of display on my device as well, same model number as yours. The suggested information was not available in the app.

Reactions: Tom2112

SJMarty

Jul 28, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida
I can confirm that on my XT2041-4, booting into fastboot shows the display model at the bottom of the screen. On mine, it shows...

Panel: 0x91560201 tm_ft8756_fhd_vid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A) TOUCH SCREEN: I have 2 phones Moto G Power 2020 XT2041-4 Code name: SOFIA Firmware: QPMS30.80-109-5 and after installing TWRP I found that touch screen on one of the phones doesn't work. I started looking for the differences in these phones and I discovered that screen vendors of the phones are different and correspondingly they used different drivers, so with available unofficial TWRP 3.5.0-10 touch screen worked only for one phone. I had to provide drivers and references to these drivers in TWRP in order other phone's touch screen worked in TWRP. How I resoled the problem (step by step):
    1) find out what screen vendor you have in your phone | install on your phone apk "Devices Info HW+" start it up and in "General" look for "LCM" records | I have in both my phones different vendors: "dsi_ft8756_tm_vid_display" & "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" | One phone Moto G Power with "dsi_ft8756_tm_vid_display" vendor had no problems with touch screen and other Moto G Power has no touch screen with "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" screen vendor.​
    2) unpack TWRP with AIK (android-image-kitchen) | open file \ramdisk\sbin\load_ts_firmware.sh in notepad for editing and find this record:​
    sofia)​
    firmware_file="focaltech-tianma-ft8756-0b-01-sofia.bin"​
    then edit last line and exchange name of the firmware file so it would look like:​
    sofia)​
    firmware_file="focaltech-auo-ft8756-0b-01-sofiap.bin"​
    save the file and repack TWRP in AIK | test your phone booting to a new repacked TWRP file | Touch screen must work now​
    B) OTG: I noticed that in both of my Moto G Power I could not mount USB-OTG in TWRP. | I unpacked the TWRP with AIK and edited \ramdisk\etc\twrp.fstab file so last two lines should look like this:

/external_sd vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 flags=removable;storage;display="external_sd"​
    /usb-otg auto /dev/block/sda1 flags=fsflags=utf8;display="usb-otg";storage;wipeingui;removable​

save the file and repack TWRP in AIK | test your phone booting to a new repacked TWRP file | USB-OTG must work now

That's all folks. Enjoy! :)

PS: Two attached files edited TWRP files based on unofficial TWRP 3.5.0-10 | "twrp-3.5.0-10_tm.img" for Moto G Power 2020 with "dsi_ft8756_tm_vid_display" touch screen vendor and "twrp-3.5.0-10_auo.img" for Moto G Power 2020 with "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" touch screen vendor. USB-OTG & touch screen are fixed.
    I took yours TWRP 3.5.2-10 and edited files same way as I wrote above: 1) "\ramdisk\system\etc\twrp.flags" to fix USB-OTG and 2) "\ramdisk\system\bin\load_modules.sh" to fix touch screen for the Sofia XT2041-4 with "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" vendor's display
    Now both of my Moto G Power has updated TWRP and working touch screen and USB-OTG. Thank you for the TWRP 3.5.2-10 :)

PS: yes "dsi_ft8756_auo_vid_display" is used for Moto G Stylus XT2043 (Code name: SOFIAP) but in my second Moto G Power XT2041-4 screen like in Moto G Stylus XT2043
    I look forward to trying this out! I think several of us have wondered why our touchscreens were screwy while others claimed they had no issues.

Bravo sir!!
    Wow...sounds like fun....and I'm gonna try on sofiap metropcs...had same issue
    Finally got around to trying this out. I can confirm that the 'auo' versions work with proper touchscreen operation! I tried out the 3.5.2-10_auo file, and although I didnt test it extensively, it looks to finally be the working TWRP many of us have been hoping for.

Good work guys, and thank you.

(BTW: anyone else who uses this from fastboot/command line note the 3.5.2 file uses a "_" after TWRP, rather than a "-" like the typical img files. My inattention to that detail had me scratching my head for a few minutes 😄)