• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General [Moto G Power 2021](borneo) Stock firmware

Does this thread need a poll?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• What's a Poll

• No is not an option

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Moto G Power 2021
XT2117
borneo

Firmware

Moto G Play
  • XT2093

Moto G Stylus
  • XT2115

Last edited:

gutter_chris

Mar 19, 2021
I have the moto g power borneo, just got it yesterday. the option for "enable oem unlocking" is greyed out. I did a full factory reset, and still grey. It's not tied to any carrier, and I've already connected to the internet via wifi. the phone is network unlocked. Would I be able to flash the stock rom via LMSA, and that might get it to work?
edit: just to clarify. yes, the bootloader is locked.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
I have the moto g power borneo, just got it yesterday. the option for "enable oem unlocking" is greyed out. I did a full factory reset, and still grey. It's not tied to any carrier, and I've already connected to the internet via wifi. the phone is network unlocked. Would I be able to flash the stock rom via LMSA, and that might get it to work?
Sometimes there's a time delay for the allow oem unlocking, it may take a few days, be sure to connect to wifi or lte after factory reset.
You certainly can try LMSA, but reflashing the firmware is unlikely to speed up the process.

Reactions: IronTechmonkey

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Reactions: TheTrueJayTwenty
Jun 9, 2018

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
Unfortunately OEM unlock is grayed out, but I was able to get an unlock key from Motorola. I've been trying to figure out a way to flash the cricket firmware because I don't think OEM unlock is grayed out.
Flashing a different software channel with a locked bootloader, will not end well.
Better off trying a factor reset, and connect to wifi or lte.
There can be a timed delay of a few days, on the allow OEM unlock

Jun 9, 2018
Flashing a different software channel with a locked bootloader, will not end well.
I have it on Wi-Fi right now, hopefully its just delayed. I only got this device to use on Wi-Fi, but if I don't keep airplane mode on Boost mobile locks the Wi-Fi unless you activate service with them. Very strange way to do business if you ask me.

Last edited:

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
I only got this device to use on Wi-Fi, but if I don't keep airplane mode on Boost mobile locks the Wi-Fi unless you activate service with them.
I have the same issue. Anyone know of a way to disable this? I've tried to remove anything associated with carrier and boost from the device (borneo) through adb. Some I was able to disable but most failed as non-disable. I got this device for my 5 yr old to mess around on, but the TOS popup is intrusive and she has repeatedly accidentally pressed the accept button which locks out wifi. Would rooting and flashing a new rom even resolve the TOS requests from boost. Forgive my ignorance as I haven't messed with root or custom roms since my lg g3. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018
I have the same issue. Anyone know of a way to disable this? I've tried to remove anything associated with carrier and boost from the device (borneo) through adb. Some I was able to disable but most failed as non-disable. I got this device for my 5 yr old to mess around on, but the TOS popup is intrusive and she has repeatedly accidentally pressed the accept button which locks out wifi. Would rooting and flashing a new rom even resolve the TOS requests from boost. Forgive my ignorance as I haven't messed with root or custom roms since my lg g3. Any help is greatly appreciated.
So I may have figured it out, I did a factory reset, on setup I declined everything. I removed everything I could via adb that had anything to do with sprint, boost, and carrier. I then went into the apps list on the device clicked show system apps, went through the apps I couldn't disable under advanced I denied the app permission to modify system settings. As for the TOS the keeps popping up you can try turning on airplane mode you can still use Wi-Fi, I've had hit or miss luck with this one. But Wi-Fi is still working as of now... Hopefully someone can get the bootloader unlocked on the boost model.

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
I think we're in the same boat. I have airplane mode on with wifi but it doesn't seem to stop the popup. I did get the bootloader unlocked with a code from Motorola, but I'm unsure what step I should take next. Root the device and blast everything I don't think I'll need off of it. Or install a stock moto rom?

Jun 9, 2018
I think we're in the same boat. I have airplane mode on with wifi but it doesn't seem to stop the popup. I did get the bootloader unlocked with a code from Motorola, but I'm unsure what step I should take next. Root the device and blast everything I don't think I'll need off of it. Or install a stock moto rom?
Do you have the boost version? My oem unlock is still grayed out so my bootloader code us useless, but yeah I would root, and remove carrier device manager.

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
If I understand correctly I download the firmware from lolinet. Patch it with magisk and then flash in fastboot, reboot, done. Has anyone made a detailed post on this process? I really prefer to understand each step as I do it.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
If I understand correctly I download the firmware from lolinet. Patch it with magisk and then flash in fastboot, reboot, done. Has anyone made a detailed post on this process? I really prefer to understand each step as I do it.
I have a general moto root thread.
Pretty much all the same as long as ramdisk is in the boot.img
device_info.png
Just make sure the firmware matches what is installed (device, channel, software version)

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
device_info.png
Just make sure the firmware matches what is installed (device, channel, software version)

device_info.png
Great guide. Thank you

Reactions: sd_shadow

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
device_info.png

device_info.png
Great guide. Thank you

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
Hmm... I followed steps correctly (I think) flashed img and rebooted. Downloaded root checker and confirmed had root. I downloaded a system app Uninstaller, granted root permissions and tried to uninstall carrier device manager. The app requested a reboot. Reboot completed anf now I don't have root access and the carrier app is still installed. Any ideas what I did wrong?

MuffinGod

Jun 12, 2015
Re-flashed and have root again. Trying to delete system apps through root explorer results in a failure. Is there a system write protection on this phone I need to disable?
Is it safe to try:
adb shell reboot disemmcwp

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Moto G Power 2021
    XT2117
    borneo

Firmware

Moto G Play
    • XT2093

Moto G Stylus
    • XT2115
    I found a module for magisk called debloater that allows you to remove system apps from a terminal emulator. I unistalled CDM and carrier hub, rebooted and they are no longer listed in app inspector. As it turns out Android 10 and up has system files set to ro. This is why none of the root explorers or titanium are able to remove system apps.
    ***Update*** OEM unlock was available after factory reset, and now rooted, and everything is debloated!
    Unfortunately OEM unlock is grayed out, but I was able to get an unlock key from Motorola. I've been trying to figure out a way to flash the cricket firmware because I don't think OEM unlock is grayed out.
    I found a module for magisk called debloater that allows you to remove system apps from a terminal emulator. I unistalled CDM and carrier hub, rebooted and they are no longer listed in app inspector. As it turns out Android 10 and up has system files set to ro. This is why none of the root explorers or titanium are able to remove system apps.
    Sometimes there's a time delay for the allow oem unlocking, it may take a few days, be sure to connect to wifi or lte after factory reset.
    You certainly can try LMSA, but reflashing the firmware is unlikely to speed up the process.