• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Moto G Power flashing guide

Search This thread

alpheus

Jul 7, 2015
See post #10. Just flash 10 ☠☠☠☠ **DOOM AND GLOOM** **WARNING** **DOOM AND GLOOM** ☠☠☠☠, and then flash lineage 17.1. DOn't forget to flash copy-partitions before lineage. You gotta do it the 1st time you flash a custom rom over stock.

☠☠☠☠ **DOOM AND GLOOM** **WARNING** **DOOM AND GLOOM** ☠☠☠☠

Lineage is not official for this phone.

Yes, flashing Lineage is fun, but there is still a question hasn't answered: how to safely downgrade from Android 11 to Android 10 on Moto G power XT2041-4 Sofia?

creedzeppelin

Mar 28, 2021
Yes, flashing Lineage is fun, but there is still a question hasn't answered: how to safely downgrade from Android 11 to Android 10 on Moto G power XT2041-4 Sofia?
I replied to your post in another thread about how to downgrade to 10.

alpheus

Jul 7, 2015
Thanks, I got your message in another thread. Cheers!

Reactions: creedzeppelin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is your bootloader unlocked?

You can download the stock firmware from: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/

Once you've downloaded the files you need just install them using ADB Platform Tools on Windows: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Also, if you can't even get it to boot to unlock the bootloader then I would download the firmware from the above lolinet site and then transfer the folder into LMSA on Windows under this path:
    C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles

You'll need to enable hidden items under the view tab in File explorer

Once you've moved the correct firmware into the RomFiles folder then go back to LMSA and have it check for the firmware and it will recognize the firmware you moved into RomFiles.
    Thanks so much for your information! My phone is back to its originally stock and working 100%
    I bought a g power a month after you wrote this guide - and I used this guide one time, thanks for that. I do it a little differently.

Flashing this phone is pretty easy, like walking in a straight line easy. Rooting is just as easy. Your vendor doesn't want you to do any of this. All vendors are different. They have their tricks and whatnot and in the game, those tricks must be found and gotten around. Thanks to those digging around....making things possible.

Why are yo flashing your phone? It's already got an OS, firmware. It's already doing what it does and it's what you bought. Aren't you happy? For fuk's sakes, Karen, you bought it!

There are reasons to flash your device. You might think - I'm just buying the hardware, and, that's cool. I get it, I do it...

Go get the firmware - lolinet. Find it - know what you are looking for. Don't brick your phone. Nobody is twisting your arm to do this.... Seriously, look in your settings - about phone - know what you are doing. Now, go get your firmware. Have you enabled developer mode? Debugging....

This guide is for Linux people.

Fire-up a terminal

sudo apt-get install android-tools-adb android-tools-fastboot

Reboot your phone to bootloader and plug your phone into your computer.
    IN your terminal cd into the extracted firmware directory, run:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
    You see a number returned? Good, proceed.

Let's put a copy of the boot.img into an archive right now because magisk will need it later (to spit a file out that you won't be able to find....baaaa ha ha haaaaa).

Code:
    tar -cvf bootimg.tar boot.img

Flash it....run each line, or, make a script:

Code:
    fastboot getvar max-sparse-size
    fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.0 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.1 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.2 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.3 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.4 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.5 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.6 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.7 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.8 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.9 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.10 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.11 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.12 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.13 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.14 && fastboot flash super super.img_sparsechunk.15
    fastboot erase carrier
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase metadata
    fastboot erase ddr
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot reboot

Your phone will reboot into initial setup. Set it up. Cool, have fun with your phone, I guess. If you want root, read on. Don't take the 11 update. Sheesh! EDIT: I flashed my g power, stock 10, took the update, it's on 11 now. I rooted it, no sweat, lolinet has the firmware. Once you go root, there's no more taking updates - be cool with that, or, find a way.

Stop.

Do you really want root? Why are you rooting? For viper? Pffft. Rooting has trade-offs and you don't get to ***** about it later, fool; ain't nobody twisting your arm. You really want to root, 'cause you're ready.

Root is a sexy-fine chunk of plump lovin', awwwww, man. Just back it up one time, oh yeah, that's right.....but, **** comes out of it! Big smile, high-five. Welcome to the show.

That's right. THat's root. There's risk. You want root? Because the phone isn't yours until you have it. In fact it's actively working against you until you do. Let's go ahead and get root. You can handle a little ****, right? I mean, potentially.

Copy that bootimg.tar archive you made earlier onto your phone. Go get the magisk apk and install it.

Go enable developer mode on your phone. Enable usb debugging.

In magisk -

top section, top choice - touch the word: install. Touch it! Choose: select and patch file. Obviously.
    Now is when you need that archive - you just copied it onto your phone, show magisk where it is.

Magisk will output a new boot image so you can root. Wicked. Go find it on your phone - it's not hiding. Where do apps put data on your phone? Copy that file to your computer.

Now - in orter to flash this new boot image file to your phone you must be in fastbootd. Take a breath. Reboot your phone into the stock recovery - just hold down power and voldwn for about 11 seconds - you should be at 'start'. Go into recovery.

Stock recovery is a barren wasteland of nothing - right on, let's go into fastbootd.

hold down the power button for 3 seconds, one onethousand, two one thousand....after 3 one thousand press the volup key as well - keep holding the power button down. after 5 one thousand, release the buttons. You should see a new menu. IF you don't, repeat the process until you do. THis is how, get it to work.

In the menu, voldwn to enter fastboot. It does not say fastbootd, but, it is. Choose it, and voila - you are now in fastbootd and in this screen it tells you as much.

ON your computer flash the new boot image:

Code:
    fastboot flash boot NEWIMAGE.IMG

After, type:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

When your phone boots up, it may loop for a few minutes or loop at the next reboot - go finish setting up magisk.
    You are rooted.

Lemme ask you something - why are you rooting stock? If you want root then you want control - if you want control you know you aren't going to get it from stock - there's a ton of stuff going on there. Why not install a custom rom? Just food for thought. I root stock on my g power and run lineage on my edge, also rooted. I don't normally use my g power, though.

I hope my biting cynicism and step-by-step account of flashing firmware and rooting your shiny new g power is helpful. I'm not your dad - I could care less if you brick your phone. Don't cry to me if it doesn't work, because this does. It's a flick of the wrist, but, it's not for everybody. It's especially not for people, maybe like you, that hear a new thing and wanna jump right on it. Nobody in the world cares at all if you break your phone. Nobody is forcing you to do this, nobody forced you to buy this phone, to step left instead of right, to like red better than blue - it's all you. Own that because it's beautiful.
    This guide also applies on other Moto phones shipping with Android 10 (not compatible with phone updated from Android 9)
    Requirements:
    * Adb must be up to date. You will use new fastbootd interface. You can toggle between bootloader and fastbootd.
    * LMSA. You can get full ROM matched with your phone build number as well as required drivers
    Working USB cable. Except you want to backup, restore, or rescue, close LMSA after ROM downloaded
    * ADB debug is on and your host computer is trusted
    * Your phone should be at least 60% battery. Manual flashing can take time

Are you ready?

1. Your phone should be in bootloader mode. Turn your phone off. Press and hold volume down and turn it on. You should see bootloader screen. Connect your phone to host computer.
    2. Open LMSA and enter rescue in order to get full ROM. Go to the downloaded folder and go to ROM file. Watch the progress if you want to grab zip files. Copy it to somewhere you know. The zip file will be removed after unpacked by LMSA. However, all files you need are in the unzipped folder
    3. Open command window and go to adb folder
    4. Flash the following in bootloader
    Code:
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    fastboot flash dsp dspso.bin
    fastboot flash radio radio.img
    fastboot flash logo logo.bin
    5. Now toggle to fastbootd
    Code:
    fastboot reboot fastboot
    6. Flash the following
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    fastboot flash dtbo dtbo.img
    fastboot flash vbmeta vbmeta.img
    fastboot flash super super.img.sparsechunk.x
    All sparsechunk must be flashed by numeric order from zero
    7. Toggle back to bootloader. Do the following:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot bootloader
    fastboot erase carrier
    fastboot erase ddr
    (Optional except you want to wipe) fastboot erase userdata
    8. Flash patched boot to root
    Code:
    adb reboot fastboot
    fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
    fastboot reboot
    That's it. Make sure you check Magisk Manager to check for hide as well as systemless host
    NEVERMIND i figured it out lol
    Is your bootloader unlocked?

You can download the stock firmware from: https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/

Once you've downloaded the files you need just install them using ADB Platform Tools on Windows: https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools

Also, if you can't even get it to boot to unlock the bootloader then I would download the firmware from the above lolinet site and then transfer the folder into LMSA on Windows under this path:
    C:\ProgramData\LMSA\Download\RomFiles

You'll need to enable hidden items under the view tab in File explorer

Once you've moved the correct firmware into the RomFiles folder then go back to LMSA and have it check for the firmware and it will recognize the firmware you moved into RomFiles.
    Thanks so much for your information! My phone is back to its originally stock and working 100%