• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Moto G4 Boots only into TWRP [Fixed]

Search This thread
Jan 27, 2020
The story is Lil big but I want to explain everything. So, I've been using this moto g4(XT1625) for 2 years now.
I got frustrated with stock nougat software and recently searched on youtube to how to update software.
Firstly installed TWRP 3.2.1, then lineageOs 15.1-32 bit (I didn't know the importance of back up or how to do it back then)
Everything was working fine until one day I wanted to factory reset from the settings menu to clear everything in internal storage.
It booted to TWRP, some code ran(i got no clue) I had no idea what to do at that point. so I clicked on reboot/system
then it happened for the first time, it didn't boot back to the system rather booted back to TWRP. I got worried and again booted back to bootloader 2nd time and pressed start
that worked, finally booted to system
Then I searched for a solution and found that I have to flash my stock software, I used an oreo stock ROM which isn't available for G4
but I know g4 and g4 plus doesn't have much of differences so I used the stock oreo ROM but it got worse
it booted and there was a dead android and written "no command found"
then I learned to get into stock recovery if I booted bootloader using start it wouldn't work
I had to press on factory mode to start the system
then I flashed TWRP(v3.3.1) again, now using arrowOs pie(32 bit)
now I m back to that "boots into TWRP" problem again
Device is not rooted, I never tried since I am new in this thing
One more thing, there is no charging animation(a battery filling up, percentage, turbo power connected) when powered off, it just boots into TWRP recovery
I need a fix for these two things :
1. system reboot will boot to the system as it supposed to be
2. if I plug in the phone while powered off it should just show the battery animation instead of booting into TWRP

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Moto X4
The story is Lil big but I want to explain everything. So, I've been using this moto g4(XT1625) for 2 years now.
I got frustrated with stock nougat software and recently searched on youtube to how to update software.
Firstly installed TWRP 3.2.1, then lineageOs 15.1-32 bit (I didn't know the importance of back up or how to do it back then)
Everything was working fine until one day I wanted to factory reset from the settings menu to clear everything in internal storage.
It booted to TWRP, some code ran(i got no clue) I had no idea what to do at that point. so I clicked on reboot/system
then it happened for the first time, it didn't boot back to the system rather booted back to TWRP. I got worried and again booted back to bootloader 2nd time and pressed start
that worked, finally booted to system
Then I searched for a solution and found that I have to flash my stock software, I used an oreo stock ROM which isn't available for G4
but I know g4 and g4 plus doesn't have much of differences so I used the stock oreo ROM but it got worse
it booted and there was a dead android and written "no command found"
then I learned to get into stock recovery if I booted bootloader using start it wouldn't work
I had to press on factory mode to start the system
then I flashed TWRP(v3.3.1) again, now using arrowOs pie(32 bit)
now I m back to that "boots into TWRP" problem again
Device is not rooted, I never tried since I am new in this thing
One more thing, there is no charging animation(a battery filling up, percentage, turbo power connected) when powered off, it just boots into TWRP recovery
I need a fix for these two things :
1. system reboot will boot to the system as it supposed to be
2. if I plug in the phone while powered off it should just show the battery animation instead of booting into TWRP
You need to flash the firmware for your device.
Run
fastboot getvar all
To see what which codename and software channel
You need then go to
https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto
Download the newest available firmware

I've posted some instructions in
Motorola Flashing Guide
https://forum.xda-developers.com/general/rooting-roms/guide-flashing-motorola-firmware-t4042039

Sent from my mata using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

There's a G4 section
https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4

Sent from my mata using XDA Labs