Moto G4 Plus IS getting Android O.

Search This thread

champagne66601

May 1, 2016
Yes, unofficially is the same for XDA users, we will update anyway using the g4 plus rom, but what are the reasons they say to not update the g4. I mean, both uses literally the same system same firmware same everything

They are the same inside, the only thing that changes is the camera and the fingerprint sensor.

Bluemoon

Dec 17, 2016
Yes, unofficially is the same for XDA users, we will update anyway using the g4 plus rom, but what are the reasons they say to not update the g4. I mean, both uses literally the same system same firmware same everything

Is Motorola really that dumb that they will upload a G4 plus fastboot ROM that normal G4 users will be able to flash without unlocking bootloader and get oreo, even after they dont want the G4 to be updated?

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
prolific location
prolific-page.com
https://m.gsmarena.com/official_moto_g4_plus_will_get_android_80_oreo_after_all-news-27332.php

It’s been brought to our attention that there were some errors in our marketing materials around Android O upgrades for Moto G4 Plus. This was an oversight on our part and we apologize for this miscommunication. It’s our general practice for the Moto G family to get one major OS upgrade per device, but it’s important to us we keep our promises, so in addition to the N upgrade it has already received, we will be upgrading Moto G4 Plus to Android O. Because this is an unplanned upgrade, it will take some time to fit it into our upgrade schedule. Watch our software upgrade page for more information.
Thanks for this old news, it's been already known... You should search before posting...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mo...-plus-getting-android-o-t3576948/post73843924

Outfield303

Nov 6, 2016
this is a lie ...i wonder why people keep repeating this fallacy
proof that Oreo is scheduled for the G4 in the screenshot attached to this post , straight from lenovo support webpage

Moto G4 and G4+ are same thing with some little minor changes, if you flash g4+ firmware on g4 then it will still work

krishna8691

Oct 22, 2016
Mumbai
this is a lie ...i wonder why people keep repeating this fallacy
proof that Oreo is scheduled for the G4 in the screenshot attached to this post , straight from lenovo support webpage

first of all see the date and how old that post is at that time motorola clearly told moto g4 plus will get android 8 but not moto g4 and i dont know what happens in future .............. according to you then if someone told some app cannot be developed at some point of time and after 100 years or so it gets developed then u will remind the person who told you 100 years ago that see the app is developed
btw we are all here lets see if moto g4 gets android 8 update coz they never told moto g4 will get it and according to many posts and third party websites that is still not confirmed if moto g4 plus will get android 8 even in the tweet that motorola gave officially it was clearly mentioned that the update will be for moto g4 plus

touns_j

Apr 28, 2008
Cape town
What I meant to say if if oreo came only to g4+ and not g4 then there is still chance to flash that g4+ firmware to g4
agreed

first of all see the date and how old that post is at that time motorola clearly told moto g4 plus will get android 8 but not moto g4 and i dont know what happens in future .............. according to you then if someone told some app cannot be developed at some point of time and after 100 years or so it gets developed then u will remind the person who told you 100 years ago that see the app is developed
btw we are all here lets see if moto g4 gets android 8 update coz they never told moto g4 will get it and according to many posts and third party websites that is still not confirmed if moto g4 plus will get android 8 even in the tweet that Motorola gave officially it was clearly mentioned that the update will be for moto g4 plus
According to me ???? come on there's nothing according to me here , all i am saying is instead of relying on "third party websites" and "many posts" which clearly are misguided , go to lenovo support page and check if the device will be getting Oreo . that's what i did and the result is in the pic i attached to my previous post so yeah Motorola/Lenovo says Oreo is coming to the G4 period.

Last edited:

touns_j

Apr 28, 2008
Cape town
Mod Edit: Disrespectful quote removed

Mod Edit: removed offensive term

can't have an argument without resorting to insulting/cursing ? i saw the date and i have been reading this thread for a while , even though the screenshot i posted was taken yesterday , the status of Oreo coming to the G4 has always been the same since the day Motorola announced the update for the G4 plus , and my post was to correct the ones who repeatedly posted that Oreo was coming only to the G4 plus , turns out your post was the latest in that regard hence i quoted it , i'm not sure what's hard to understand here ? but please keep on fighting INTERNET warrior

Last edited by a moderator:

krishna8691

Oct 22, 2016
Mumbai
Mod Edit: Disrespectful quote removed

Mod Edit: removed offensive term

can't have an argument without resorting to insulting/cursing ? i saw the date and i have been reading this thread for a while , even though the screenshot i posted was taken yesterday , the status of Oreo coming to the G4 has always been the same since the day Motorola announced the update for the G4 plus , and my post was to correct the ones who repeatedly posted that Oreo was coming only to the G4 plus , turns out your post was the latest in that regard hence i quoted it , i'm not sure what's hard to understand here ? but please keep on fighting INTERNET warrior

not been same it was first told only moto g4 plus will get oreo update and not the moto g4 (according to many trusted websites like gadgets.ndtv,gsmarena etc including xda) coz they had promised that moto g4 plus will get android oreo during launch and saying internet warrior wont change the true fact
btw not getting rude or like that but if you are here and reading this thread from a while then you should have mentioned it a long... long time ago and i had only given the info in here that i got from diff sources

Last edited:

touns_j

Apr 28, 2008
Cape town
not been same it was first told only moto g4 plus will get oreo update and not the moto g4 (according to many trusted websites like gadgets.ndtv,gsmarena etc including xda) coz they had promised that moto g4 plus will get android oreo during launch and saying internet warrior wont change the true fact
btw not getting rude or like that but if you are here and reading this thread from a while then you should have mentioned it a long... long time ago and i had only given the info in here that i got from diff sources
first of all and that's not to single you out but Motorola never specifically said the update is only coming for the G4 plus only , here's motorola statement on that matter
"It’s been brought to our attention that there were some errors in our marketing materials around Android O upgrades for Moto G4 Plus. This was an oversight on our part and we apologize for this miscommunication. It’s our general practice for the Moto G family to get one major OS upgrade per device, but it’s important to us we keep our promises, so in addition to the N upgrade it has already received, we will be upgrading Moto G4 Plus to Android O. Because this is an unplanned upgrade, it will take some time to fit it into our upgrade schedule. Watch our software upgrade page for more information."
sources
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...android-8-0-oreo-update-promise-moto-g4-plus/
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...nfirms-moto-g4-plus-will-receive-android-oreo
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/moto-g4-plus-android-8-0-oreo-update-confirmed-1752106
people in this thread and for that matter on other websites assumed only the G4 plus only was going to get the update but not mentioning the G4 doesn't equate that the G4 is not getting the update ( not mentioning something doesn't mean the thing doesn't exist )
secondly , i have been reading this thread for a while ( key word here is reading , you can pm a mod and upon looking into my activity history , i wouldn't mind that, he/she will confirm that i've been checking out this thread regularly) and some posters correctly mentioned many times that it didn't make sense to think only the G4 plus would get the update cos the G4 and G4 plus a virtually the same device ( on the G4 forum ) , so an update for the G4 plus would mean an update for the G4 but for some reason people chose to ran with the story that only the G4 plus is getting that update
anyway i might have come out bluntly when i said " this is a lie" but that was nothing personal , nothing towards you , i was just tired of seeing the same thing repeated without any basis and finally decided to contribute and hopefully correct the assumptions that have been made.

Last edited:

krishna8691

Oct 22, 2016
Mumbai
first of all and that's not to single you out but Motorola never specifically said the update is only coming for the G4 plus only , here's motorola statement on that matter
"It’s been brought to our attention that there were some errors in our marketing materials around Android O upgrades for Moto G4 Plus. This was an oversight on our part and we apologize for this miscommunication. It’s our general practice for the Moto G family to get one major OS upgrade per device, but it’s important to us we keep our promises, so in addition to the N upgrade it has already received, we will be upgrading Moto G4 Plus to Android O. Because this is an unplanned upgrade, it will take some time to fit it into our upgrade schedule. Watch our software upgrade page for more information."
sources
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/0...android-8-0-oreo-update-promise-moto-g4-plus/
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...nfirms-moto-g4-plus-will-receive-android-oreo
https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/moto-g4-plus-android-8-0-oreo-update-confirmed-1752106
people in this thread and for that matter on other websites assumed only the G4 plus only was going to get the update but not mentioning the G4 doesn't equate that the G4 is not getting the update ( not mentioning something doesn't mean the thing doesn't exist )
secondly , i have been reading this thread for a while ( key word here is reading , you can pm a mod and upon looking into my activity history , i wouldn't mind that, he/she will confirm that i've been checking out this thread regularly) and some posters correctly mentioned many times that it didn't make sense to think only the G4 plus would get the update cos the G4 and G4 plus a virtually the same device , so an update for the G4 plus would mean an update for the G4 but for some reason people chose to ran with the story that only the G4 plus is getting that update
anyway i might have come out bluntly when i said " this is a lie" but that was nothing personal , nothing towards you , i was just tired of seeing the same thing repeated without any basis and finally decided to contribute and hopefully correct the assumptions that have been made.
ok bro nevermind :)

SoNic67

Apr 10, 2011
They just have rolled out the update to Android N on the Moto X Pure, that was announced a year ago. So... don't hold your breath about the Android O on this device being pushed soon.

calinb7

Oct 13, 2016
They just have rolled out the update to Android N on the Moto X Pure, that was announced a year ago. So... don't hold your breath about the Android O on this device being pushed soon.

Yeah--we'll all need new batteries (non user-replaceable) for our Moto G4 Pluses before Android O is pushed!

Reactions: clonechill

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As you may know, Google has announced the dev preview of Android O: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/03/first-preview-of-android-o.html .
    When the G4 Plus was announced, it was confirmed to have an Android O update. I just thought I would bring this back up. Now we just need to see if Lenovo will keep their promise, and how long we will have to wait after O is released. :good:
    The truth, with Lenovo I do not expect the update, it's like Samsung, it will launch when they remember the G4 Plus
    Don't know why everybody what's Oreo with all those bugs that the Google phones have at the moment. Those guys complain about unstable nougat roms and want a unstable Oreo rom :rolleyes: the first custom builds have bugs too, so don't complain about it. It takes time and a huge amount of effort to iron these out and as soon they're fixed, Google releases 8.1 or so. It was the same with nearly every android version till now.
    So will there be an Android 8 for the Moto G4 Plus or not? I am confused :( Or should I email support about this?
    bro android 8 is confirmed for moto g4 plus
    but not for moto g4
    What does that security updates mean first it wasn't there ??

Not all updates are Android version upgrades. Google releases a monthly update to fix crashing apps and security patches against necessary attacks (blueborn or krack). Now different oem releases updates on their wishes few monthly like Google, few every 4 months, few never. It means that Moto g4 will continue to get these updates.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone