Moto g4 Plus...with only 2 GB of RAM ??

Search This thread

Electroman365

Mar 4, 2012
So, I've just purchased a used Moto G4 Plus. It doesn't look it's been used at all with its accessories still in plastic actually, but I'm surprised to see that it only has 2 GB of RAM only when it's supposed to have 4 Gigs. WTH ? Has anyone heard of such specs in canada ? A "one-off" ??

Another issue I had, is that while trying to unlock the screen (swiping pattern) the phone didn't respond at all for almost 15-20 seconds. Like it froze or something.

The phone looks legit and I actually saw the receipt from the store it was purchased (in canada) with the IMEI matching the one on the phone.

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
prolific location
prolific-page.com
So, I've just purchased a used Moto G4 Plus. It doesn't look it's been used at all with its accessories still in plastic actually, but I'm surprised to see that it only has 2 GB of RAM only when it's supposed to have 4 Gigs. WTH ? Has anyone heard of such specs in canada ? A "one-off" ??

Another issue I had, is that while trying to unlock the screen (swiping pattern) the phone didn't respond at all for almost 15-20 seconds. Like it froze or something.

The phone looks legit and I actually saw the receipt from the store it was purchased (in canada) with the IMEI matching the one on the phone.
On moto builder website you can choose which amount of ram and flash you want. Lots of variations of moto g4 plus are available. Search for xt1643, xt1644 and others and you will find your answers. Under the back cover you'll find your version of the phone. You should make such queries before buying something.

Electroman365

Mar 4, 2012
On moto builder website you can choose which amount of ram and flash you want. Lots of variations of moto g4 plus are available. Search for xt1643, xt1644 and others and you will find your answers. Under the back cover you'll find your version of the phone. You should make such queries before buying something.

This was purchased (by the first owner) at a local store. I'd never heard of a Moto g4 plus with 2 gb or ram until now. It's not something I would've even thought about when I bought this phone. According to every piece of info or video I found online, this phone IS a 4 GB RAM phone. I always do a lot of researching before I buy anything but again, not even one site I came across said anything about a 2 GB ram with the G4 Plus.

Anyway, I guess it is one with less RAM. Oh well, but the thing I'm more concerned about is the freezing thing that i mentioned. I know there are a lot of people complaining about "ghosting" -whatever that is- and overheating issues but I don't recall anything about freezing issues.

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
prolific location
prolific-page.com
This was purchased (by the first owner) at a local store. I'd never heard of a Moto g4 plus with 2 gb or ram until now. It's not something I would've even thought about when I bought this phone. According to every piece of info or video I found online, this phone IS a 4 GB RAM phone. I always do a lot of researching before I buy anything but again, not even one site I came across said anything about a 2 GB ram with the G4 Plus.

Anyway, I guess it is one with less RAM. Oh well, but the thing I'm more concerned about is the freezing thing that i mentioned. I know there are a lot of people complaining about "ghosting" -whatever that is- and overheating issues but I don't recall anything about freezing issues.
Check which xt164 version is written on the label.

Mine is xt1642 which is 2gb ram with 16gb storage

Electroman365

Mar 4, 2012
OK thanks. I guess some markets have the 2 gb ram but this isn't being mentioned.
I can live with 2 gigs. Still, I'd like to know if there's any info on this freezing issue.

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
prolific location
prolific-page.com
OK thanks. I guess some markets have the 2 gb ram but this isn't being mentioned.
I can live with 2 gigs. Still, I'd like to know if there's any info on this freezing issue.
I'm trying to help you and you should not ignore my questions. You should tell us what device type you have, it's necessary for the lag issue and every further help.

XT1642 for example. What's yours?

Additional you need to tell the baseband version that is shown in about information of the device settings. And which Android version is shown there too like Android 6.0 or 7.0. Please be detailed enough or make a screenshot.

Electroman365

Mar 4, 2012
mmm I have a xt1641 with 32GB and 2GB RAM :confused:

Exactly. This is the same one I have. Apparently, some countries have different models other than what all the reviews -especially in the USA- say on Youtube and some websites.
I also found this
https://phandroid.com/2016/05/23/moto-g4-plus-3gb-ram-2gb/
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/05/23/moto-g4-plus-ships-with-32gb-of-storage-just-2gb-of-ram/

So, according to this, the 32GB should come with 3GB, and the 16GB with 2GB.

Anyway, like I already said, I don't care any more about the size of ram. The issue I'm having is that every time I charge the phone and it reaches 100% or close, it stops responding to my touch. Like it takes several times of me swiping up -after I push the power button- to get the pattern drawing screen to unlock the phone ( I use pattern) and the same thing when I pull down the notification bar, it doesn't respond from the first time. Strangely, after a while it starts working normally.

Last edited:

strongst

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
prolific location
prolific-page.com
Exactly. This is the same one I have. Apparently, some countries have different models other than what all the reviews -especially in the USA- say on Youtube and some websites.
I also found this
https://phandroid.com/2016/05/23/moto-g4-plus-3gb-ram-2gb/
https://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/05/23/moto-g4-plus-ships-with-32gb-of-storage-just-2gb-of-ram/

So, according to this, the 32GB should come with 3GB, and the 16GB with 2GB.

Anyway, like I already said, I don't care any more about the size of ram. The issue I'm having is that every time I charge the phone and it reaches 100% or close, it stops responding to my touch. Like it takes several times of me swiping up -after I push the power button- to get the pattern drawing screen to unlock the phone ( I use pattern) and the same thing when I pull down the notification bar, it doesn't respond from the first time. Strangely, after a while it starts working normally.
You should also read my reply: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4-plus/help/moto-g4-plus-2-gb-ram-t3712687/post74693278

If you won't receive help, please forget about it.

Electroman365

Mar 4, 2012
You should also read my reply: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g4-plus/help/moto-g4-plus-2-gb-ram-t3712687/post74693278

If you won't receive help, please forget about it.

I wasn't ignoring your question. I was planning to reply but after I replied to the other guys something came up and had to leave.

The model is the XT1641. The Android version is 7.0 and the baseband is M8952-70030.25.03.62.01R.

Yeah definitely there's something wrong with the phone. I have to swipe down over and over and over again to get the notification bar or whatever it's called. Like I pull it down but it goes right back up and I have to repeat this many times before it stays down. I might have read some comments somewhere about people having this issue. Man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks for the replies.