Moto G4 Plus's Model changed to G4,lost one imei and finger print.

Search This thread

Soureen

Mar 21, 2013
Siliguri
I have switched to a new device and no longer use this phone but i see many others facing this issue as well so I am keeping this thread open, please do not message me regarding the solution to this issue cause all i did to get out of this mess was getting a new phone.

Hello !

Due to some error while flashing stock rom on Moto G4 Plus XT-1643 my Moto G4 Plus has changed into Moto G4 but the model no shown in the "About Phone" section is correct.
I have lost one Imei no. fingerprint option is no where sim or mobile network doesn't work other than that the phone is fully functional(WiFi,Camers,Audio etc)
There are multiple threads on the same issue but no solution is available I would be highly grateful if anyone could find out any solution to this issue.

P.S : I have tried flashing multiple ROMs available on the forum specific to XT-1643 i.e Indian Version

Also I flashed the OTA file for the Android 7.0 Soak Test due to which I cannot relock the bootloader.

I am currently on Stock Marshmallow 6.0.1 139-63 Rooted&TWRP installed

The phone is basically an iPod without fingerprint sensor

Last edited by a moderator:

caravana

Sep 28, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
this happened to my phone (1640 - brazilian moto g 4 plus), and I tried every single rom out there for moto g 4 plus, and it is only identified as Moto G 4, without fingerprint or any modem activity.

i still cannot recover previous bootloader, because it don't downgrade bootloader version. nothing worked for me so far.

i'll be watching this thread to see if anyone comes with any alternative.

Reactions: benedictusg

D1AMONDH3AD

Aug 15, 2016
if you flashed android 7.0 and then downgraded to android 6.0.1 then expect some bugs because your bootloader gets updated you have to do clean flash but you cannot actually completely downgrade to android 6.0.1 after you updated to 7.0 soak test bootloader still remains updated and your phone will brick when you click update after you receive 7.0 official OTA i warned you this happened to lot of moto x users do some research before you do anything if the phone is your primary device

caravana

Sep 28, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
For me its a software issue... looks like it messed with the bootloader, and since you cannot rollback to an older bootloader, the phone works like an iPod Touch. haha

I hope that when Motorola releases the final 7.0 version for 1640, I'll be able to flash again the right bootloader and that will fix the phone.

The first thing that I do when I boot in TWRP, I do a full backup of all the phone's partitions, and save a copy on my PC, so I can restore the phone in cases like this.

Guys, maybe you need to read this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2617276

I did a full flash of an older 6.0.1 ROM, and it still doesn't work. Since the only thing that I couldn't flash is the bootloader, and the phone identify itself as Moto G 4 (and not Moto G 4 Plus) my guess is that the problem is with the bootloader.

I guess i'll have to wait for the official 7.0 for my specific phone (1640) to fully replace this broken bootloader.

Last edited:
Reactions: jim_r0x

SoNic67

Apr 10, 2011

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161116-143152.png
    Screenshot_20161116-143152.png
    172.4 KB · Views: 1,910
  • Screenshot_20161116-143204.png
    Screenshot_20161116-143204.png
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,906
Last edited:

Soureen

Mar 21, 2013
Siliguri
Nope funny thing no one knows anything ??

I am waiting for the Android 7.0 official update so that I can relock my bootloader and send it for service.

benedictusg

Apr 10, 2015
That's a bummer but there might be some solution. The phone version number shouldn't be that hard to find if you'd knew witch file that flashes it.

How do you do these backups for they don't look at all as twrp backups so I guess twrp is second best to something. But what?

What is the different with 7.0 coming up? Can't you just relock a backup?

Last edited:

m.swastik

Feb 19, 2011
Mumbai
Nope funny thing no one knows anything ??

I am waiting for the Android 7.0 official update so that I can relock my bootloader and send it for service.

I have the same issue, I have seen people with XT1643 having athene_f in build fingerprint but I have only athene. Which one is correct, could this be the issue?

m.swastik

Feb 19, 2011
Mumbai
Managed to solve the issue at least to get the signal. This is what I have done
- Restore my first TWRP backup.
- Booted directly into bootloader and NOT system, flashed modem for the build.
- Rebooted and I am getting the signal!!!

rooban90

Dec 12, 2015
Managed to solve the issue at least to get the signal. This is what I have done
- Restore my first TWRP backup.
- Booted directly into bootloader and NOT system, flashed modem for the build.
- Rebooted and I am getting the signal!!!

Radio is working after TWRP backup + modem flash. Still fingerprint is not working and it is pointing out as athene not as athene_f

(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[0]: motorola/athene/athene:6.0.1/MPJ24
(bootloader) ro.build.fingerprint[1]: .139-63/64:user/release-keys

m.swastik

Feb 19, 2011
Mumbai
Radio is working after TWRP backup + modem flash. Still fingerprint is not working and it is pointing out as athene not as athene_f

I have spent 1 whole week to get the signal working, at least be glad that you can now use your phone and press thanks if I helped. Regarding athene in build fingerprint you can easily change that in build.prop but it won't help. I think fingerprint service is disabled because ROM thinks that our phone is G4 and not G4 plus. I have tried few things to enable it but not getting it to work, will update if any of my experiment is successful.

Reactions: GeeteshKhatavkar

rooban90

Dec 12, 2015
I have spent 1 whole week to get the signal working, at least be glad that you can now use your phone and press thanks if I helped. Regarding athene in build fingerprint you can easily change that in build.prop but it won't help. I think fingerprint service is disabled because ROM thinks that our phone is G4 and not G4 plus. I have tried few things to enable it but not getting it to work, will update if any of my experiment is successful.

I found this trick early and I am using it now. I thought you cracked the last part (fingerprint sensor) which my post was about. I think that the issue is with gpt bin as I tried different bootloader versions along with all possible combinations. Gud to see someone else is working on the same. Will update if found any.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have switched to a new device and no longer use this phone but i see many others facing this issue as well so I am keeping this thread open, please do not message me regarding the solution to this issue cause all i did to get out of this mess was getting a new phone.

Hello !

Due to some error while flashing stock rom on Moto G4 Plus XT-1643 my Moto G4 Plus has changed into Moto G4 but the model no shown in the "About Phone" section is correct.
    I have lost one Imei no. fingerprint option is no where sim or mobile network doesn't work other than that the phone is fully functional(WiFi,Camers,Audio etc)
    There are multiple threads on the same issue but no solution is available I would be highly grateful if anyone could find out any solution to this issue.

P.S : I have tried flashing multiple ROMs available on the forum specific to XT-1643 i.e Indian Version

Also I flashed the OTA file for the Android 7.0 Soak Test due to which I cannot relock the bootloader.

I am currently on Stock Marshmallow 6.0.1 139-63 Rooted&TWRP installed

The phone is basically an iPod without fingerprint sensor
    please tell me the whole process because i dont know any thing about this pull push technique
    Assuming you have the same issue as mentioned in the OP, missing fp, imei, no network etc. You can try the following steps:

Note: If your device is rooted you can do this without rebooting to twrp (skip that particular step). Remember to give access to adb when prompted. If you are not rooted and also do not wish to flash custom recovery, you can temporarily boot through twrp for this purpose instead of flashing it using "fastboot boot twrp.img" without quotes.
    • Reboot to twrp (can skip this only if your device is rooted) > connect your device to PC > open cmd in the same directory i.e., where you have adb and those image files > type "adb devices" (without quotes) and hit enter to make sure your device is recognized via adb in recovery. It will show your device serial number probably. If not recognized check your adb setup, drivers etc. there are tons of guide here in xda for that.
    • If recognized, execute the following adb commands one by one:
    Code:
    adb push modem.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    adb push fsg.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p16
    adb push hw.img /dev/block/mmcblk0p43
    Hope this helps:fingers-crossed:
    It appears to be only the first 512 bytes (dd's block size) that are corrupted. I noticed that the preceding partition is sp (service pack maybe ??). Not sure if something in the upgrade moves 1 block too many/few and overwrites something, or doing an upgrade with an invalid GPT.bin file ends up causing this.

I guess it doesn't matter - the lesson is that we can make mistakes and issues can happen and we should be backing up everything before flashing. For noobs like myself, it really isn't obvious that a TWRP backup is such a partial backup - seems like most of the documentation says it is enough. It would be nice if something like the partition backup script would be posted along with instructions for the steps to flash to stock.

If you launch an adb (I do this from twrp booted from pc drive), the following may fix it (I haven't tested but it does make a backup so you can revert):

The steps are as follows:
    1) Extract the g42g4plus.sh file to your adb/fastboot (android platform tools folder) on your pc
    2) Open a cmd window and cd to the folder with the g42g4plus.sh
    3) Boot into TWRP Recovery
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp.img
    4) Run the following commands via ADB to patch hw partition:
    Code:
    adb push .\g42g4plus.sh /data/media/0/g42g4plus.sh 
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/media/0/g42g4plus.sh 
    adb shell /data/media/0/g42g4plus.sh
    I had the same issue. I relocked the bootloader and sent to service center. They flashed the original firmware. Stock roms roaming here are not exactly stock roms.
    I hav given mah fonr to servc center itz under warranty bt they are sying that if the imei numbers are corrupt it will nt cover in warranty.. They said wait until 7.1.1 update.. May be that update will fix it..

I don't think a system update will help you. Not sure if we are all experiencing the same issue either. Mine was limitted to phone not recognizing it was a G4Plus. I still had one working imei. If all imei's are broken, I think it is probably the modemst1,modemst2 and fgs partitions.

Again, for next time, do a full backup of all partitions, not just the limitted backup done by TWRP - again, I wrote a script to backup the smaller partitions as well:

Partition Backup Sript

I updated my original post to be a bit more descriptive and use a script due to issues with command line length.

I suggest people post their hw partitions and include the model number so people can compare working and non-working files.