• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Moto G5S plus always has low signal

Search This thread
Nov 28, 2013
Hello. I have a Moto G5S plus using a Verizon Sim. I had a Moto G5+, but gave it to my cousin and got the G5S+. The G5+ always had full bars in my house. However, the G5S+ has full bars sometimes, but gets only 1 bar a lot of the time. It fluctuates a lot. It seems to mostly become low signal when its asleep. They both will be using the same Sim card and network, but their amount of signal differ greatly. I also tested the signal with a Nexus 6P, Galaxy S4, iPhone 6S plus, Moto E2, and Moto E4. Each of them have full signal in my house all the time while the G5S+ gets 1 maybe 2. The wifi range also seems to be less compared to the G5+. I thought maybe I got a defective unit, but I got a replacement from Motorola and the replacement is exactly the same way. Is this just how the phone is? Did I possibly get a 2nd defective device? Or is it potentially a software problem and can be fixed with an update, if Motorola ever ever decides to? Not having signal when another phone will somewhere is a deal breaker for me. Can this be fixed, or should I just get a G5+? Thank you.

lufusol

May 3, 2017
Moto G5S Plus
I'm afraid I've got the same problem with a straight talk verizon sim. I was running unofficial lineage 15 and now i'm running gzr validus (also oreo). In both cases I get either a very poor 1 bar of 4g, or 2 or 3 bars of 3g at home while my girlfriend is pumped all the way with lte on her verizon iphone. We have been in several other places where I complained about the signal and hers was fine. I switched to this phone because it can handle verizon (I WAS on virgin mobile/sprint with my moto G osprey getting FINE lte coverage but wanted to switch to verizon because their coverage is just a little better around here)! Well Now I'm On Verizon and guess what, my coverage sucks worse than ever. I actually hit 1x pretty frequently while driving around. It's pretty sad actually. I wish I could take the cameras and internal storage of this phone but have them back in my osprey. sanders looked great on paper but in practice has not been good to me.

Phazmos

Dec 6, 2010
Same with straight talk (which uses att). Same sim in my 6p in same location shows at least 3 bars. This drops to none sometimes, but everything still works fine, speed tests are the same regardless of bars. Even flashed a newer modem, no difference. Really wish the 6p wasn't about to die. But really, for $300,v this isn't a bad device, except for the camera. Hoping to see more development for this. I haven't but a rom in years, but was thinking about doing it again. Need more options!

tarun0

Sep 7, 2017
It may not exactly answer your doubt but the network bars are not true indicator of the signal reception.

Check the network strength in Settings ->About Phone -> Status -> SIM status.

Less negative means more powerful signal. You can compare the signal receptions of the phones this way.

Nov 28, 2013
It may not exactly answer your doubt but the network bars are not true indicator of the signal reception.

Check the network strength in Settings ->About Phone -> Status -> SIM status.

Less negative means more powerful signal. You can compare the signal receptions of the phones this way.

Hello and thank you for your reply. Here is a screenshot. It seems to have -84. The Moto G5+ would have the needle slightly better around -76 and the Wifi one completely to the right. It seems less strong than the G5+. Though what I mainly have been looking at the battery stats of G5S+ where it shows yellow being yellow for a long time or just alternating, while the G5+ would be green the entire time. It also seems to stay yellow when my screen is off for a while. Do you think this is a fixable through updates problem?

cutterline

Aug 23, 2008
Mine is also unstable. It can goes from 4 bar to 0-2 bar in a blink. I checked with LTE discovery, it is even funnier, -89dbm 1 bar, -84dbm 3bar and it goes to 1 bar, then -88dbm 3 bar. I don't even know what the programmed range for each bar anymore.

It seems like this is quite common, even at Lenovo Moto forums, there are a lot of thread complaining about this problem.

Funny thing is the direct rival of this, the MiA1, also suffered this and partially fixed the problem with a patch last month so finger crossed that this is fixable by patching. Maybe you guys should also flood that forums as well or flood the moto email support.

Added picture to show the wonkiness https://imgur.com/a/HETWp

Last edited:

Shared4ne

Jul 18, 2018
I know that this thread is dated but I am VERY frustrated with the cell signal on my moto G+. I have had it since 11/17 and have been dealing with VERY POOR cell reception. We are in an area where there is little signal. We installed a cell booster and that gives a small signal on most phones, but my moto G+ is less likely to get or keep a signal. Hubby has Moto ext that is about 3 years old and he always has a better signal then me. I love the phone, but all the bells and whistles mean nothing if you cant gat a signal. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

jesslegentil

Nov 9, 2013
Really poor signal.

I also have this problem. Thought it was just me. I can't use it at all inside most buildings, and even outside my g5s+ often looses signal all together.

iBART

Sep 28, 2010
Torreano
I have the same problem. I just moved to another city, inside my house (poor signal zone) i am having zero bars. I though it was the zone but a friend of mine has 3 bars, same operator but another phone.

[email protected]

Jul 16, 2018
Network problem

When I am install the stock ROM after using custom ROM my mobile network show emergency calls network are not present what I will do my phone is moto g5s plus Indian variant