[Moto G6 Plus] 1: Preparing to Unlock Bootloader

Search This thread

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
THIS GUIDE IS FOR THE MOTO G6 PLUS ONLY
1: Preparing to Unlock Bootloader
Moto does a fine job of breaking down how to unlock the bootloader, but they do not give you much information on using the adb and fastboot programs that are part of the "Android Software Developer Kit(SDK) Platform Tools" which contain over 700+ files. For the procedures listed in this guide, we only need 2 files, adb and fastboot. XDA Moderator @hackslash has created a tool to simplify using adb and fastboot that doesn't include the other 700+ files you don't need.

1A. ADB and Fastboot Installer for Windows - (Download) - When prompted to install a driver type the number 0 and hit enter. This will install the latest version of adb and fastboot where it is system-wide. This eliminates the need for adb.exe or fastboot.exe to be in the same folder as the files you will be working with. NOTE: Windows will flag this as a virus! The installer is open source and made by a Moderator here on XDA. It is a False Positive. You can view a VirusTotal report (https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/25dc5dca2494d1b1d93832b37ba9852b4f076bba86cf5029b4c944a28a1a01a1/analysis/]HERE[/url]). 26 out of 67 virus scanners report it as a virus. If your Anti-Virus is one of the ones that flag it as a virus, I would suggest you explore other Anti-Virus software, but that’s not what this guide is about.

1B. As per the instructions on Moto’s site, you need to download and install the latest official drivers from Moto. (Download)

1C. Head over to the Moto website and follow the instructions to unlock your bootloader. (Moto Website)

After you are done on the Moto website your bootloader will be unlocked! This is necessary to be able to modify system files for root, roms, and other various tweaks!

Last edited:

fireFerry

Sep 5, 2020
I can get into the bootloader on my phone, with `adb reboot bootloader` or pressing the power and volume down key. The problem is that once I'm in the bootloader in fastboot on my pc it doesn't recognise my phone, usb debugging + oem unlock is on in dev settings. I got in once, but after many tries I wasn't able to have a connection anymore. On my phone it says that the usb is connected, so that isn't the problem. I haven't tried it on a 2.0 usb slot yet.

andreym_costa

Dec 25, 2015
Moto does a fine job of breaking down how to unlock the bootloader, but they do not give you much information on using the adb and fastboot programs that are part of the "Android Software Developer Kit(SDK) Platform Tools" which contain over 700+ files. For the procedures listed in this guide, we only need 2 files, adb and fastboot. XDA Moderator @hackslash has created a tool to simplify using adb and fastboot that doesn't include the other 700+ files you don't need.

1A. ADB and Fastboot Installer for Windows - (Download) - When prompted to install a driver type the number 0 and hit enter. This will install the latest version of adb and fastboot where it is system-wide. This eliminates the need for adb.exe or fastboot.exe to be in the same folder as the files you will be working with. NOTE: Windows will flag this as a virus! The installer is open source and made by a Moderator here on XDA. It is a False Positive. You can view a VirusTotal report (https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/25dc5dca2494d1b1d93832b37ba9852b4f076bba86cf5029b4c944a28a1a01a1/analysis/]HERE[/url]). 26 out of 67 virus scanners report it as a virus. If your Anti-Virus is one of the ones that flag it as a virus, I would suggest you explore other Anti-Virus software, but that’s not what this guide is about.

1B. As per the instructions on Moto’s site, you need to download and install the latest official drivers from Moto. (Download)

1C. Head over to the Moto website and follow the instructions to unlock your bootloader. (Moto Website)

After you are done on the Moto website your bootloader will be unlocked! This is necessary to be able to modify system files for root, roms, and other various tweaks!

I need to lock my bootloader again, how do I do that?

WoKoschekk

Feb 25, 2019
Cologne
Moto G6
Moto G6 Plus
I need to lock my bootloader again, how do I do that?
Same as unlocking but in reverse order.

Unlocking:
- activate OEM unlocking
- use command 'fastboot oem unlock'
=> First boot with an unlocked bootloader loads your unmodified stock ROM until you flash another ROM.

Here you start locking the bootloader with the same conditions. This means you have to flash the latest stock ROM before doing anything else.
Then (after you successfully boot your unmodified stock ROM once!!) you can boot into fastboot mode and execute 'fastboot oem lock'.

NEVER EVER deactivate the OEM unlock option before everything is ok!! The meaning of ok is, that your locked device will boot into system AND you have a functional Wifi and mobile connection. After this step (and only after that!) you can deactivate the OEM unlocking option.

jkkopp

Jan 11, 2024
Hey,

- switched oem unlock to yes in g(6) plus.
- installed adb and fastboot (Version 31.0.2 - 7242960)
- switched to \Lokal\Android\SDK\platform-tools\
set Android to AP Fastboot Flash Mod & connect
- fastboot --version
=> fastboot version 34.0.1.-9680074 => So its not the Version i installed above...
=> fastboot oem get_unlock_data does not work.

=> how do i access the fastboot version 31.02?

I did this: (https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-unlock-bootloader.3791238/)
  • Make sure to take a backup of your entire device data.
  • Download the Android SDK OR Download the Minimal ADB and Fastboot
  • Install the latest Motorola USB Drivers on your desktop. Download here.
  • Go To Settings -> Dev Settings, And Select "Allow OEM Unlock"
  • Put your device in fastboot mode (power off, then press the power and volume down buttons simultaneously).
  • Open Command Prompt on androidsdk/platform-tools/ (Hold Shift and right click and press open command window here)
  • If you have downloaded Minimal ADB and Fastboot Go to C://Program Files/Minimal ADB and Fastboot and open Command Prompt from there.
  • Connect your Phone to PC
  • Type this in the CMD prompt window - fastboot oem get_unlock_data
On 2 different systems.

Does not work. on the second system i get this message:
(bootloader) slot-countta: not found
(bootloader) slot-suffi: not found
Failed (remote: unknown command)

I used on first system android sdk + several versions of fastboot from this forum

on second system i used Minimal ADB and Fastboot linked above.

The screen of my phone in Fastboot mode says oem_locked (but i unlocked it in dev settings => is this a problem?)

Thanks in advance :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit:

i dont know what i did wrong.

I repeated your points.

Now it worked... I did nothing different***

Thanks a lot for this guide, finally it worked!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks for this article and the work that has gone into it.

Just a quick editing note. The 1B line includes a typo in the href attribute, the value of which is:

Thanks.