Moto G7 Power/Supra [All Versions] [Pie] Magisk Root Guide [OTA/SafetyNet Working]

Search This thread

Unssin

Jan 25, 2019
For Anyone who love hacking like Network. This phone *Internal* wifi card support monitor mode but it need to be enabled. I currently got the card to get into monitor mode but there is still some problems but the best part is that I somehow enabled monitor mode while was searching and playing around with some terminal commands. I'm still testing it out.

Kelynaw

Sep 6, 2017
read and re-read just in case

I've got a slightly different issue. I had originally rooted with just magisk and everything worked beautifully after the inital looping on canary stock firmware, bought the phone drove straight home and looped it. I flashed the global firmware and havent had any issues until the December magisk update. Now I can't get a good patched boot to save my life, I've even gone back to day 1 since I was using global the entire time, original files everything, magisk manager and framework. Loops Everytime. I haven't cleared the user data partition because I really can't loose what's there. Never used TWRP because I saw no need without SuperSU and that always killed Google pay for me
... Different thread.... Point is I need helped bootloader is unlocked and has been. But in my experience when TWRP gets flashed it'll wipe user data
Is this still correct? Haven't used it for 3norn4 phones now. And if so that's just not an option except absolute last resort. That was an amazingly detailed and we'll written guide btw, could have used you back on my stylo. But I digress. HELP!!! Sorry, without flashing TWRP has anybody been close to my same scenario and found a fix? Anything would help.
G7 power metro variant flashed global months ago, ineligible for any otas. 1955-5, software channel strangely is still metro. And the rest I can't switch over to see because we'll this thing doesn't hold more than one app open in active memory without refreshing.

All worked smooth for my RETUS version G7 Power from Visible. Thanks for the added details.

Running PPOS29.114-134-7-1

I used this link to install adb/fastboot: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/tool-adb-fastboot-installer-tool-windows-t3999445

Miamiquadcore

Aug 3, 2014

y.farkash

Jul 4, 2012
Unable to install updates after Magisk installation

Hi,

I followed the steps and everything worked great, my phone is rooted, with TWRP and Magisk working well.
I am having issues with the system updates.

First issue is that even though I turned off Automatic Updates under developer options, it keeps trying to update.
Second, when it does attempt to update I know it is doing it because I have a screen pop-up with a "Software update unsuccessful" page.

When I try to initiate the update manually I can see it is trying to update to version PPOS29.114-134-7.

I did try to follow the instructions on the Magisk page as well, by clicking "uninstall" in Magisk and choosing to revert images, but it still fails.

Any ideas how to get the system updates going?
It is extremely annoying as the screen pop ups every couple of minutes!

kiltym

Feb 1, 2018
Hi,

I followed the steps and everything worked great, my phone is rooted, with TWRP and Magisk working well.
I am having issues with the system updates.

First issue is that even though I turned off Automatic Updates under developer options, it keeps trying to update.
Second, when it does attempt to update I know it is doing it because I have a screen pop-up with a "Software update unsuccessful" page.

When I try to initiate the update manually I can see it is trying to update to version PPOS29.114-134-7.

I did try to follow the instructions on the Magisk page as well, by clicking "uninstall" in Magisk and choosing to revert images, but it still fails.

Any ideas how to get the system updates going?
It is extremely annoying as the screen pop ups every couple of minutes!

Not sure if this is of any help. I have not tried it, but Google seems to imply it is possible. Please let us know how it goes.

https://www.the***********.com/install-ota-update-rooted-android-device-guide/

and this post in this thread might help:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=80237289&postcount=313

Last edited:

y.farkash

Jul 4, 2012
Reactions: kiltym

Tomspector

I just got the metro e7 power xt1955-5.
I did have the e5 play was easy to root with magisk.
A buddy of mine bricked his with magisk 20.4.
I have hear magisk 20 to 20.4 causes issues with this phone.
I can root this with magisk 19.4. Zip without any problems?

I do know not to have the Sim or external mem card in. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

iiPostMaster

Jan 9, 2017
Is it possible to generate the code that Motorola would give you so that you don't have to void your warranty? I know people have made this possible for other older phones, but if it's not possible yet, can someone give me an ETA?

shaitan240

Aug 9, 2016
How do I mount the system to R/W? I tried to look for the path of the system in /proc/mounts but I can't find it thx

7anibal

Jun 19, 2020
Hi, I have a Moto g7 supra from Cricket I want to unlock it to use it overseas with different carrier , any help is appreciated.

clu1688

Jul 15, 2012
Ok I am rooted on an older Build: PPO29.114-134

I followed this link: https://forum.xda-developers.com/g7-power/how-to/moto-g7-power-root-magisk-twrp-t3991951

After a factory reset, reinstall and run Magisk, root stayed.

Question, should I allow Motorola Update Services? I fear these updates may bring Build to a new level and break root. Any comments? Thanks,

Update: disabled ccc.ota, all good. Happy to stay on 9. My moto z play is still on 6 factory version.

Last edited:

pcwizzy37

Disclaimer: This WILL void your warranty. I am not liable for breaking/bricking your phone, you losing your data, or any nuclear war/other catastrophe. This process WILL totally wipe all data on your phone. Make sure you have a backup! You will also forever see "bad key" displayed in the top left of your screen for a few seconds after a reboot after unlocking the bootloader. There is currently no way around this that I'm aware of (let me know if you have a way)

This guide was assembled from mingkee's G7 guide here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g7/how-to/root-g7-magisk-t3907084

You will need:
1. Your Moto G7 Power (Any hardware version, any carrier, but running Android 9 Pie)
2. A stock boot.img for your hardware version, here are the two that I have. You can just extract the boot.img from a stock ROM for a hardware version not listed, although I'm not sure it actually matters which one you use. Experiment at your own risk.
(Full stock ROM's for both versions will be linked in the next post. )
3. A USB cable to connect your G7 to a computer
4. Motorola USB drivers: https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/...moto-g-family/moto-g7-power/documents/MS98028
4. Your bootloader unlock code from Motorola, more on that below
5. Android SDK

Step 1: Unlocking the bootloader
First we'll need to unlock the bootloader, to do this, you'll need your unlock code from Motorola:
https://support.motorola.com/us/en/bootloader
Note that this will require you to register your device with Motorola, and this WILL void your warranty.

Then, download and install the Motorola USB drivers (link above), you may need to reboot your computer after installation.

Next you'll need to download and extract/install the Android SDK
https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html#downloads
Note that you'll only need the "command line tools" for this guide, unless you really want the whole SDK (huge).
Extract the command line tools to anywhere really, C:\Android is fine for Windows. If you downloaded/installed the whole sdk, the tools you need will be in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools
Once you have that, open up a powershell window in your tools folder by holding Shift and right-clicking in the folder.

Now, reboot your G7 to fastboot mode by powering off, then holding power+volume down until you're in the bootloader. Now, connect your G7 to your computer with your USB cable.

In powershell, verify your device is recognized by typing "./fastboot devices". Your G7 should show up by its serial number.

Now, type "./fastboot oem unlock [your motorola unlock code]". THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE. After that, use the volume up and down buttons and then the power key to restart the bootloader. You should now see "flashing_unlocked" at the bottom of the bootloader screen. Now use the volume/power buttons to select "start" to boot the phone. You will see "bad key" displayed in the top left corner of the screen. This is normal. The phone should boot and bring you to the Android set up wizard. Go ahead and set up the phone as you normally would.
Note that at this time, if you go to "Update" in system settings, it may warn you that "system integrity is compromised" and that you will no longer receive OTA updates. This is also normal, we'll fix that in a bit.

Step 2: Rooting
Now that we have an unlocked bootloader, we can flash things to the phone through fastboot (at the time of this writing, TWRP or other custom recoveries are not available for the G7 Power. Once it is, you can use that to flash the Magisk .zip file instead of using powershell).

Copy the correct *_boot.img for your hardware version to a folder on your phone. I used the downloads folder. (not too sure if the version makes a difference; I was able to flash the entire US XT1955-5 firmware/rom to my Latin America XT1955-2 without a problem, but experiment at your own risk)

Download and install the Magisk Manager APK through Chrome or browser of your choice on your G7
https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases
It will ask you if you want to allow [your browser] to install things from unknown sources. Say yes.

Then, open Magisk Manager and tap "Install". Then tap "patch boot image file". Select the *_boot.img you copied earlier and let it run. It will tell you when its done.
Once it completes, copy the patched *_boot.img back to your computer and place it in the same folder as your Android SDK tools (where fastboot.exe and adb.exe live)
Now power off the phone then boot to fastboot, again by holding power + volume down until the bootloader appears.

Now in powershell, type "./fastboot flash boot [the name of your patched boot.img].img" and hit enter. Alternatively, type "./fastboot flash boot" then hit space, then drag your patched *_boot.img into powershell and hit enter.
(Note, if you get an error saying "Invalid partition name boot__a" like I did, add a "_a" to "boot" ie "./fastboot flash boot_a [the name of your patched boot.img]" instead. )
Powershell should tell you "Image signed with key bad key". This is normal.

Now use the volume up/down buttons and power button to start the phone.

Once booted, load up Magisk Manager again. You should see all green checkmarks. Congrats, your G7 is now rooted! One last thing:
Tap where Magisk says "tap to start SafetyNet check". This tests to see if its able to fool Google's checks and let you install OTA updates or use Android Pay. If you did everything properly, this should all check out fine. Confirm by going into Updates in System Settings and verifying that you are up-to-date and it doesnt say anything about "device integrity compromised".

Thanks to everyone who's work I shamelessly paraphrased. I wanted to make a concise guide specifically for the G7 power as I didn't find much online regarding it. (And the stock US rom was ridiculously hard to find and acquire). I'll link stock US and Latin America G7 Power firmwares/roms in the post below in case anyone wants to go back to stock, once the upload finishes. Note: there is no known way at the time of this writing that you can ever get rid of "bad key" being displayed at boot once you unlock the bootloader (again, if anyone knows how, let me know! Thanks!)
Motorola says my device is not eligible to be unlocked. Straight Talk varient.

Reactions: Metalheadx

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: This WILL void your warranty. I am not liable for breaking/bricking your phone, you losing your data, or any nuclear war/other catastrophe. This process WILL totally wipe all data on your phone. Make sure you have a backup! You will also forever see "bad key" displayed in the top left of your screen for a few seconds after a reboot after unlocking the bootloader. There is currently no way around this that I'm aware of (let me know if you have a way)

This guide was assembled from mingkee's G7 guide here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g7/how-to/root-g7-magisk-t3907084

You will need:
    1. Your Moto G7 Power (Any hardware version, any carrier, but running Android 9 Pie)
    2. A stock boot.img for your hardware version, here are the two that I have. You can just extract the boot.img from a stock ROM for a hardware version not listed, although I'm not sure it actually matters which one you use. Experiment at your own risk.
    (Full stock ROM's for both versions will be linked in the next post. )
    3. A USB cable to connect your G7 to a computer
    4. Motorola USB drivers: https://support.motorola.com/uk/en/...moto-g-family/moto-g7-power/documents/MS98028
    4. Your bootloader unlock code from Motorola, more on that below
    5. Android SDK

Step 1: Unlocking the bootloader
    First we'll need to unlock the bootloader, to do this, you'll need your unlock code from Motorola:
    https://support.motorola.com/us/en/bootloader
    Note that this will require you to register your device with Motorola, and this WILL void your warranty.

Then, download and install the Motorola USB drivers (link above), you may need to reboot your computer after installation.

Next you'll need to download and extract/install the Android SDK
    https://developer.android.com/studio/index.html#downloads
    Note that you'll only need the "command line tools" for this guide, unless you really want the whole SDK (huge).
    Extract the command line tools to anywhere really, C:\Android is fine for Windows. If you downloaded/installed the whole sdk, the tools you need will be in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Local\Android\Sdk\platform-tools
    Once you have that, open up a powershell window in your tools folder by holding Shift and right-clicking in the folder.

Now, reboot your G7 to fastboot mode by powering off, then holding power+volume down until you're in the bootloader. Now, connect your G7 to your computer with your USB cable.

In powershell, verify your device is recognized by typing "./fastboot devices". Your G7 should show up by its serial number.

Now, type "./fastboot oem unlock [your motorola unlock code]". THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE. After that, use the volume up and down buttons and then the power key to restart the bootloader. You should now see "flashing_unlocked" at the bottom of the bootloader screen. Now use the volume/power buttons to select "start" to boot the phone. You will see "bad key" displayed in the top left corner of the screen. This is normal. The phone should boot and bring you to the Android set up wizard. Go ahead and set up the phone as you normally would.
    Note that at this time, if you go to "Update" in system settings, it may warn you that "system integrity is compromised" and that you will no longer receive OTA updates. This is also normal, we'll fix that in a bit.

Step 2: Rooting
    Now that we have an unlocked bootloader, we can flash things to the phone through fastboot (at the time of this writing, TWRP or other custom recoveries are not available for the G7 Power. Once it is, you can use that to flash the Magisk .zip file instead of using powershell).

Copy the correct *_boot.img for your hardware version to a folder on your phone. I used the downloads folder. (not too sure if the version makes a difference; I was able to flash the entire US XT1955-5 firmware/rom to my Latin America XT1955-2 without a problem, but experiment at your own risk)

Download and install the Magisk Manager APK through Chrome or browser of your choice on your G7
    https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases
    It will ask you if you want to allow [your browser] to install things from unknown sources. Say yes.

Then, open Magisk Manager and tap "Install". Then tap "patch boot image file". Select the *_boot.img you copied earlier and let it run. It will tell you when its done.
    Once it completes, copy the patched *_boot.img back to your computer and place it in the same folder as your Android SDK tools (where fastboot.exe and adb.exe live)
    Now power off the phone then boot to fastboot, again by holding power + volume down until the bootloader appears.

Now in powershell, type "./fastboot flash boot [the name of your patched boot.img].img" and hit enter. Alternatively, type "./fastboot flash boot" then hit space, then drag your patched *_boot.img into powershell and hit enter.
    (Note, if you get an error saying "Invalid partition name boot__a" like I did, add a "_a" to "boot" ie "./fastboot flash boot_a [the name of your patched boot.img]" instead. )
    Powershell should tell you "Image signed with key bad key". This is normal.

Now use the volume up/down buttons and power button to start the phone.

Once booted, load up Magisk Manager again. You should see all green checkmarks. Congrats, your G7 is now rooted! One last thing:
    Tap where Magisk says "tap to start SafetyNet check". This tests to see if its able to fool Google's checks and let you install OTA updates or use Android Pay. If you did everything properly, this should all check out fine. Confirm by going into Updates in System Settings and verifying that you are up-to-date and it doesnt say anything about "device integrity compromised".

Thanks to everyone who's work I shamelessly paraphrased. I wanted to make a concise guide specifically for the G7 power as I didn't find much online regarding it. (And the stock US rom was ridiculously hard to find and acquire). I'll link stock US and Latin America G7 Power firmwares/roms in the post below in case anyone wants to go back to stock, once the upload finishes. Note: there is no known way at the time of this writing that you can ever get rid of "bad key" being displayed at boot once you unlock the bootloader (again, if anyone knows how, let me know! Thanks!)
    gedster314 linked me to a site in another thread where stock ROMS for a lot of devices can be found, including the XT1955 (codename: Ocean).
    https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ocean/official/

"RETUS" on that page would signify "Retail, US"
    Ok, I have it in fastboot

Go to : https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ocean/official/
    There is two firmware for our specific device. There is a MetroPCS and a retus. The metropcs one have all the metro pcs apps and stuff but the retro one is official untouched by any carrier. After downloading one of ur choice extract it and go inside the folder of the firmware and open cmd there and wait for the other instructions I will post soon.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Took for ever to copy and edit this but I got it just follow this stop one by one don't skip or jump from command to the other just follow it exactly

Code:

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
    fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
    fastboot flash modem_a NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash fsg_a fsg.mbn
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot flash dsp_a adspso.bin
    fastboot flash logo_a logo.bin
    fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
    fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.3
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.4
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.5
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.6
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.7
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.8
    fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.9
    fastboot flash system_b system_b.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash system_b system_b.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash system_b system_b.img_sparsechunk.2
    fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img_sparsechunk.0
    fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img_sparsechunk.1
    fastboot flash oem_a oem.img
    fastboot flash oem_b oem_other.img
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase DDR
    fastboot oem fb_mode_clear
    fastboot reboot

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

After you finish tell me which firmware u flashed.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Go to : https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/ocean/official/
    There is two firmware for our specific device. There is a MetroPCS and a retus. The metropcs one have all the metro pcs apps and stuff but the retro one is official untouched by any carrier. After downloading one of ur choice extract it and go inside the folder of the firmware and open cmd there and wait for the other instructions I will post soon.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Took for ever to copy and edit this but I got it just follow this stop one by one don't skip or jump from command to the other just follow it exactly

Code:

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase DDR
    fastboot reboot

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

After you finish tell me which firmware u flashed.

Or just tell me now
    Modded the above post for readability with notes added:
    I have successfully rooted my G7 Power using the June update,
    1) I downloaded as a zip file from the URL in post #2. (note- this appears to be redundant to step 2 below as there is only 1 link in post #2)

2) I downloaded the June RETUS zip file from the website in post #2. (note- direct file link added here, not sure if it works doing this but if not, it is the file marked 114-108 dated June 5 about halfway through the file name )

3) I created a folder and unzipped everything in the zip to that folder. You must also copy your ADB and fastboot files (adb.exe, AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, fastboot.exe, libwinpthread-1.dll) into this folder, so you can run fastboot from there.

4) Next I copied the boot.img file from that folder to my phone in the download folder, using my USB cable.

5) I then ran Magisk Mgr on my phone, and chose the install tab next to "Magisk is up to date"

6) At next window I selected "install"

7) At the next window I selected "select and patch a file", and chose the path to "download/boot.img".

8) After it patched the file, I went back to my PC, and again using my USB connection, I copied the patched file to the folder containing my unziped June firmware. I renamed the boot.img file to boot.img.org, and renamed my patched file to boot.img.

9) I then restarted my phone in fastboot. In the CMD window first type fastboot devices to be sure you are connected.

10) I used the following commands to flash the entire firmware to my phone. If you want you can paste the entire list into notepad, and save it as a Bat file, which you can use in fastboot CMD window to do the job for you. I found this works best. The OP states to flash only the boot.img file, but I had boot loops when I did, or it didn't root. Since I started flashing the entire firmware (in the order shown below) It works every time. This bat file won't erase your userdata. Good luck.

fastboot oem fb_mode_set
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot erase DDR
    echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    echo please scroll up and check your flash for any errors
    echo -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pause
    fastboot reboot
    Their are still reasons to Root a phone besides ROMs. Titanium backup, Root explorer, and having super user
    access. I used to Root my Pixel 2 to enable tethering when the carrier blocked it. The fact that we don't have
    the option of super user access on a device we own is crazy. Jailbreaking the iPhone opens up so many
    customization's with tweaks and apps that I went to the dark side. I also have the G7 Power so I'm not a
    total traitor.

until some good custom roms will pop out i don't have needs to unlick/root...