Moto Maxx's own Forum Section

Should the Moto Maxx get it's own forum section?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Jvov

Jan 10, 2014
Lajeado
twitter.com
Help the Moto Maxx (XT1225) get it's own forum section!

The Moto Maxx is the international variant of the Droid Turbo but differently from other phones variations, the Moto Maxx has many things that set it apart from the Turbo.
Connectivity is one, for example. The Turbo is CDMA based, since it's from Verizon and the MAXX is an International all-rounder. Don't even make me talk about the name, it doesn't even
look remotely the same. THEY ARE DIFFERENT and they deserve to be treated like so.

Reply and vote if you agree! Let's make this, fellow MAXX users.

-Jvov

Last edited:

ccheww

Nov 6, 2010
San Francisco
If the moto maxx is an all rounder wouldn't that male the hardware exactly the same in the turbo? I take this as good news because I want to switch networks eventually.

Sent from my XT1254

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Just the fact that one is a CDMA phone while the other is GSM is problematic. One is unlocked, the other is not. There will be different methods used in order to unlock the bootloader and root for each device. Some files will be ok to flash on one but death on the other and vice versa, read about the various bricks between the Find 7 and Find 7a if you want to learn how this happens. They do not have the same stock software payload and will require different roms which will get confused with one another and problems will happen because some people cant be bothered to follow simple instructions.

You can by the way make this request in the request thread up in general. I did.

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012

The Moto Maxx is the international variant of the Droid Turbo but differently from other phones variations, the Moto Maxx has many things that set it apart from the Turbo.
Connectivity is one, for example. The Turbo is CDMA based, since it's from Verizon and the MAXX is an International all-rounder. Don't even make me talk about the name, it doesn't even
look remotely the same. THEY ARE DIFFERENT and they deserve to be treated like so.

-Jvov

Wouldn't be easier to PM some forum moderator and ask for a different thread?.

:confused:

Lyson

Jul 14, 2010
Munich

-Jvov

Just the fact that one is a CDMA phone while the other is GSM is problematic. One is unlocked, the other is not. There will be different methods used in order to unlock the bootloader and root for each device. Some files will be ok to flash on one but death on the other and vice versa, read about the various bricks between the Find 7 and Find 7a if you want to learn how this happens. They do not have the same stock software payload and will require different roms which will get confused with one another and problems will happen because some people cant be bothered to follow simple instructions.

You can by the way make this request in the request thread up in general. I did.

Who says that the Turbo is CDMA? I have a Verizon Turbo and use it in Germany with Vodafone GSM, G3, H+ and LTE without any problems.

Cheers

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
Who says that the Turbo is CDMA? I have a Verizon Turbo and use it in Germany with Vodafone GSM, G3, H+ and LTE without any problems.

Cheers

I think they meant to say that is CDMA based, as well as Verizon network is, but Turbo still has support for GSM, and if the bands are correct, it can have LTE also in other places.

;)

alexcreto

Jan 13, 2014
São Paulo
I believe we should get our own forum, but not right now.
We still share many things. We have so little content that many of our posts in the general section should be in the Q&A or at the Original Dev, but we don't produce that much content.
I'd rather have one or 2 sub forums here differentiating. the Original Dev, for example, should be split in 2, one for each.

Reactions: ellcid

krabman

Sep 22, 2008

Cheers

Here in the states phone variants designed to run on CDMA networks are called CDMA phones, phones designed to run on GSM networks are called GSM phones. Nowadays of course the terms don't have the meaning they once did when a phone either was one or the other and did not possess broad multi frequency support but the terms still carry forward to denote variants built for either one network type or the other. In the states only on Verizon can you get full carrier support with the turbo, on any other network you will at times lose LTE depending on which carrier you use it on.

The importance here is that these phones will diverge in their development. Like it or not the vast majority of all Turbos sold will be used on the largest CDMA network in the world, Verizon, which is also the most intrusive and meddling carrier in the US and that alone means all these users will face problems particular to that network one of which is a locked bootloader. Whatever process sees that bootloader unlocked will be very different than simply going to Motorolas website as Maxx users will do. The recovery will be different, the roms will be different, etc.

As I said, you need only go to the Find 7 forums to see what happens when two every similar but different phones share the same forum. Users flash the wrong modems, the wrong recoveries, the wrong roms, the wrong frameworks, its a long list. In truth this could be overcome with ease simply by users employing common sense and reading before they act but the reality is many many people come to this site green and then flash without understanding that one little letter in a name can mean the phone isn't going to boot up. Then you get all the help me I bricked my phone, I'm in infinite boot loop, and so on posts. People usually find their way clear of whatever mistake they made but not all do, some learn the lesson the expensive way.

IMO its better to at least split the development sections and rename the sub forum something on the lines of Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx forum. There will be less problems and it's been done here before when this situation came up. I'm just an old man though and maybe overly cautious...

ccheww

Nov 6, 2010
San Francisco
So theoretically speaking according the stats of the supported bands the droid turbo rooted and unlocked would be a better phone to have then the moto maxx?

It appears turbo has all the bands the maxx has AND more...

This being said, if the turbo gets its boot loader unlocked its a more versatile phone to own in terms of supported bands and network capabilities.

Sent from my XT1254

Galaxo60

May 25, 2012
So theoretically speaking according the stats of the supported bands the droid turbo rooted and unlocked would be a better phone to have then the moto maxx?

This being said, if the turbo gets its boot loader unlocked its a more versatile phone to own in terms of supported bands and network capabilities.

Sent from my XT1254

Theoretically and In paper, yes, it would be a more reliable phone.

:cowboy:

krabman

Sep 22, 2008

Sent from my XT1254

Here is (from the FCC filings) the Droid, LTE bands 2/3/4/7/13 and the Maxx, LTE bands 2/4/5/7/17 so not the same and not more. The 3G isn't significant because almost everywhere either one is going to work. This means neither is better for any one person, which one will be depends on which carrier you employ in your home area, not the hardware. I say this because almost no phone will have 100% coverage (if a carrier is using a freq your phone has it) for more than 1 or 2 networks in any given area. In the states for instance the Droid has this on Verizon but no where else and the Maxx has it on AT&T but not any other carrier. If you for example use either on Tmo you will sometimes be without LTE because TMO is not fully covered by either phone.

Once you have the best phone for the carrier of choice at home you usually have a choice of several carriers when abroad so you simply get a pre-paid sim on one that supports your phone the best or is cheapest depending on what you want. I usually just go cheap since 3G is fine for short periods when a good savings can be had on a pre-paid which often vary wildly in price depending on various sales and promotions.

I don't see one being better than the other in theory and with the hardware being a push and user needs dependent the differentiation that stands out is the bootloader. One can be unlocked now, one cannot. I don't consider the small bit of bloat on the Droid a factor since it can be easily gone around.

Reactions: ccheww

BeSalecker

Mar 8, 2013
New York
Droid Razr for CDMA and international shared the same forum section and the development for both phones was fantastic. I think it was because they shared the page that the CDMA development was kept alive. No I don't think they should have separate forums, but that is my opinion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-Jvov
    The Moto Maxx XT1225 is just more dev-friendly than the Droid Turbo. It deserves its own section.
    I believe we should get our own forum, but not right now.
    We still share many things. We have so little content that many of our posts in the general section should be in the Q&A or at the Original Dev, but we don't produce that much content.
    I'd rather have one or 2 sub forums here differentiating. the Original Dev, for example, should be split in 2, one for each.

Sent from my XT1254

Here is (from the FCC filings) the Droid, LTE bands 2/3/4/7/13 and the Maxx, LTE bands 2/4/5/7/17 so not the same and not more. The 3G isn't significant because almost everywhere either one is going to work. This means neither is better for any one person, which one will be depends on which carrier you employ in your home area, not the hardware. I say this because almost no phone will have 100% coverage (if a carrier is using a freq your phone has it) for more than 1 or 2 networks in any given area. In the states for instance the Droid has this on Verizon but no where else and the Maxx has it on AT&T but not any other carrier. If you for example use either on Tmo you will sometimes be without LTE because TMO is not fully covered by either phone.

Once you have the best phone for the carrier of choice at home you usually have a choice of several carriers when abroad so you simply get a pre-paid sim on one that supports your phone the best or is cheapest depending on what you want. I usually just go cheap since 3G is fine for short periods when a good savings can be had on a pre-paid which often vary wildly in price depending on various sales and promotions.

I don't see one being better than the other in theory and with the hardware being a push and user needs dependent the differentiation that stands out is the bootloader. One can be unlocked now, one cannot. I don't consider the small bit of bloat on the Droid a factor since it can be easily gone around.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone