• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Moto turbo xt1225 latest firmware issue

Search This thread

zohaibshafijutt

May 10, 2015
Lahore
Hello.
I think my phone is not updated to the latest firmware version shown on Motorola's website i.e 22.34.16.
e167b4d26137f885ff709763484baed3.jpg

My mobile's build version is 22.34.11 and when I check for updates it says it is up to date.
Any idea on the issue ?
c3163b955782d3e0d011b1bc0dd77e49.jpg

Sent from my XT1225 using Tapatalk

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Right. The latest is "16", not "11". Over in my thread and you @ Jaocagomez thread you can download the latest for your XT1225 phone and install it manually with fastboot.

Moto Maxx - Moto Turbo XT1225 factory images (Mexico | Puerto Rico | India | Brazil)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-maxx/development/moto-maxx-moto-turbo-xt1225-factory-t3078274

[All Quark][Official] Stock Firmware Moto Maxx Droid Turbo Moto Turbo
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-maxx/general/quark-stock-firmware-moto-maxx-droid-t3063470

There's several variants for the different countries -- Mexico, Brazil, Chile, Puerto Rico, India... We have them all between the two of us. I even have Chile, even though it's not in my op post but towards the end of the thread.

Also, @baybutcher27 has mirrored them all and you can see the link in a post towards the end of my thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=63217981&postcount=31

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
zohaibshafijutt said:
My question is why is there no update via OTA and why can it not be updated via OTA.... I have never updated phone manually.... And thanks for reply..... Moto turbo xt1225.... current version 22.33.11

I got an email notification of your message, but I don't see it as PM. Apparently it was a "chat" message which for some reason I don't have Tapatalk access to. Anyway, I copied and pasted it here from my email. I PM'ed you and am aslo posting it here in the thread you started. Hope you get this reply.

1) if you have unlocked the bootloader, rooted and installed TWRP you may not see an OTA update. (If anyone has a different experience or more detailed information, please post.)

2) if your phone was locked to a specific carrier, you may not see an OTA update if you are not with that carrier and your phone is now unlocked.

If you have a "factory" XT1225 and are still on stock -- you should see OTA. Since you have a Moto Turbo XT1225 (India), that phone is not tied to any specific carrier (as far as I know), and is a "factory" XT1225. I own three XT1225 now -- two from Puerto Rico which were sold by Claro carrier and one from Mexico which actually came straight from Motorola factory in China to Mexico, then re-shipped to my U.S. address. The Mexico one was "factory", but the two Puerto Rico were initially locked to Claro. They were unlocked by the seller, but still any OTA updates only went to actual Claro customers (as far as I know). Whereas the Mexico XT1225 got an OTA update notice (while I was on stock and not rooted) -- even though I am in the U.S.

But if you are still on stock Android, have a "factory" XT1225 from any region, and you have not unlocked the bootloader and flashed TWRP custom recovery, then I do not know why you are not seeing an OTA update available.

However, you can download the update from any of the links provided in the forum and manually flash it. Note that you will still be on 5.0.2, just an updated version. Whereas all the custom ROMs we have (CM12.1 and Resurrection Remix, as well as Mokee) are all 5.1.1 Lollipop.

Even though I am on CM12.1, I was on "11" Moto Turbo radio for a long time. I recently flashed "16" Puerto Rico to two of my XT1225. The 3rd is still unrooted and on stock for now. It's a backup.

zohaibshafijutt

May 10, 2015
Lahore
My phone has markings on front...
On top left corner M inside circle and on top right of phone 0415-02158 and on right bezel it says "Motorola confidential Property"
I think you can tell me now which model i am using from provided information...

6d5859a239c4805bcc2c7c04592c8be0.jpg

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
My phone has markings on front...
On top left corner M inside circle and on top right of phone 0415-02158 and on right bezel it says "Motorola confidential Property"
I think you can tell me now which model i am using from provided information...

confidential_zpsaoacwwge.jpg

Interesting. Looks like you have an engineering sample or a phone submitted for government testing?

The Moto Turbo XT1225 launched in India with 5.0.2, software version "11". Soon after, the other XT1225 models (Moto Maxx) in Latin America countries started receiving 5.0.2, upgrading from 4.4.4. Factory versions were first, with carrier versions following. Brazil and Mexico factory versions got "13" and later "16". India finally got "16", after having "11" for a long, long time.

Don't know why you didn't get "16" via OTA, but you can download and flash it manually. However, I found Lollipop 5.02. to be laggy. 5.1.1 is much smoother, so that's why I'm running custom ROM.

Last edited:

zohaibshafijutt

May 10, 2015
Lahore
Ok my device is engineering as it says in picture.
Is it good thing or bad ?
Custom Roms are satble than stock ?
5.1.1 which you are using is stable than 5.0.2 stock ?
I have never updated phone manually as I do not know how to flash.
This is my only phone so I am concerned about flashing...
6215aaf7260d0a6d6399a74d5fc3a936.jpg

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm not sure I'd argue it's smoother than stock. Just a lot more control. With that control and a few kernel tweaks it may very well be though.

On stock 5.0.2 "11", I had lots of lag. Initial stock 5.0.2 was horrible, compared to the smoothness of stock 4.4.4. Maybe 5.0.2 "16" is better, I don't know. I went to custom ROM 5.1.1 long before then and never went back.

Has anyone ever verified the engineering phone is bootloader unlocked?

I don't think it's already unlocked, but of course it's easily unlock-able. Just need to go to the Motorola website and they'll give you the code.

If it is already unlocked, then yeah that's one less step to flashing TWRP and rooting.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Engineering development prototype

I'd never expect a stolen Motorola engineering phone to behave like a normal phone.

You're right that phone may not act like normal. If I'm looking at the screenshot right, it only has 32GB internal storage -- instead of the retail 64GB? :confused: All the retail XT1225 (Moto Turbo XT1225/Moto Maxx XT1225 ) sold to consumers have 64GB internal storage... so even though it says "Moto Turbo" in your settings, your phone is definitely a development prototype never meant to be released to the public.

prototype_zpsewuqw8ob.jpg

turbo_prototype_zps33gnbind.jpg

Last edited:

andray

Oct 13, 2010
Zheleznodorozhny
Sorry for posting in this thread. I have XT1254. Cannot understand what does "Device is ENGINEERING" mean for me. Do I need to pay for sunshine unlocking?
UPD: It is unlocked. Successfully flashed TWRP and SuperSU. Didn't expect to get such a phone.)

Attachments

• IMG_20160519_131300_.jpg
    IMG_20160519_131300_.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Sorry for posting in this thread. I have XT1254. Cannot understand what does "Device is ENGINEERING" mean for me. Do I need to pay for sunshine unlocking?

attachment.php

UPD: It is unlocked. Successfully flashed TWRP and SuperSU. Didn't expect to get such a phone.)

Device is Engineering usually means it's a prototype device not meant to be sold to the public. There are exceptions and I'll get to that...

There were also some Moto Nexus 6 like this, which is 95% identical to the Moto Quark series and released about the same time:

MOTO NEXUS 6
[Q] Cant Unlock Bootlader - DEVICE IS ENGINEERING

Hey, checking in here. It appears that you have a prototype Nexus 6, @vinay3698. I have a few Motorola prototype devices and would be more than willing to help you out with any issues you may have. I sent you a PM

By no means ever take it to a service center. Not sure how they'd handle getting a prototype device.

got it.. there is no need to unlock bootloader for this device -- just recovery and supersu is enough..
and btw i flashed pure nexus rom and its supermooth..
thanks man for ur suggestion.

Also from a Moto G 2015 thread:

[Q] What does 'Device is ENGINEERING' mean?
i also have a phone that says engineering in fastboot mode and was wondering what it meant. its a xt1550 asia model.
my phone has a lot of extra apps however -- bug2go, battery tracer, desense teste,r cdbench, iplog tool -- just to name a few.
should i leave the phone as is or is it possible to flash a US retail.? any comments are welcome

That one just above is obviously a test phone from Motorola Engineering dept not meant for retail sale. :rolleyes:

The exceptions are the Motorola phones are made in China, and on the black market in China you could get some Droid Turbo XT1254 phones with bootloaders "unlocked from the factory". A few months after the XT1254 was released here in the U.S., one guy went to China on a business trip from the U.S. and bought one. He bought an bootloader unlocked premium Verizon XT1254 on the street. How would such a phone be available for sale? Well, nothing legal... Either the phone was stolen from the factory production line before bootloader was locked down, to be shipped to Verizon in the U.S. or it was stolen from the department that tests software and they don't want their bootloaders locked down. Or some hybrid of the two -- a production line device stolen and the thief has proprietary Motorola development software that can unlock the bootloader. In those cases, it would not be a prototype device but an actual retail device. Again, I'm talking about the XT1254 phone sold in China on the black market, not your phone. ;)

You did nothing wrong. You are just lucky.

In the other case discussed in this thread, it was obviously a prototype not meant for sale as it was an XT1225 with only 32GB internal memory. All retail XT1225 have 64GB internal memory, with ballistic nylon (which is really ballistic nylon + kevlar underneath). The XT1225 was the most premium of the Quarks (XT1225/XT1250/XT1225), as they also had more HSPA and LTE bands (but no CDMA, which most people outside the U.S. don't need anyway) and had bootloader unlockable from Motorola website (since they were not Verizon phones). But his phone was a 32GB XT1225 -- which doesn't exist, except perhaps inside Motorola test labs. So, no way to predict if Quark custom ROMs would work correctly on it, as they are developed for retail phones..

But yours is a 64GB XT1254 also with ballistic nylon and your bootloader is already unlocked. So, congratulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: andray

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'd never expect a stolen Motorola engineering phone to behave like a normal phone.
    The product/variant also doesn't match an XT1225. This is probably why auto updates don't occur. Manually flashing likely works fine though and is the proper solution to updates.

attachment.php

Device is Engineering usually means it's a prototype device not meant to be sold to the public. There are exceptions and I'll get to that...

There were also some Moto Nexus 6 like this, which is 95% identical to the Moto Quark series and released about the same time:

MOTO NEXUS 6
    [Q] Cant Unlock Bootlader - DEVICE IS ENGINEERING

Hey, checking in here. It appears that you have a prototype Nexus 6, @vinay3698. I have a few Motorola prototype devices and would be more than willing to help you out with any issues you may have. I sent you a PM

By no means ever take it to a service center. Not sure how they'd handle getting a prototype device.

got it.. there is no need to unlock bootloader for this device -- just recovery and supersu is enough..
    and btw i flashed pure nexus rom and its supermooth..
    thanks man for ur suggestion.

Also from a Moto G 2015 thread:

[Q] What does 'Device is ENGINEERING' mean?
    i also have a phone that says engineering in fastboot mode and was wondering what it meant. its a xt1550 asia model.
    my phone has a lot of extra apps however -- bug2go, battery tracer, desense teste,r cdbench, iplog tool -- just to name a few.
    should i leave the phone as is or is it possible to flash a US retail.? any comments are welcome

That one just above is obviously a test phone from Motorola Engineering dept not meant for retail sale. :rolleyes:

The exceptions are the Motorola phones are made in China, and on the black market in China you could get some Droid Turbo XT1254 phones with bootloaders "unlocked from the factory". A few months after the XT1254 was released here in the U.S., one guy went to China on a business trip from the U.S. and bought one. He bought an bootloader unlocked premium Verizon XT1254 on the street. How would such a phone be available for sale? Well, nothing legal... Either the phone was stolen from the factory production line before bootloader was locked down, to be shipped to Verizon in the U.S. or it was stolen from the department that tests software and they don't want their bootloaders locked down. Or some hybrid of the two -- a production line device stolen and the thief has proprietary Motorola development software that can unlock the bootloader. In those cases, it would not be a prototype device but an actual retail device. Again, I'm talking about the XT1254 phone sold in China on the black market, not your phone. ;)

You did nothing wrong. You are just lucky.

In the other case discussed in this thread, it was obviously a prototype not meant for sale as it was an XT1225 with only 32GB internal memory. All retail XT1225 have 64GB internal memory, with ballistic nylon (which is really ballistic nylon + kevlar underneath). The XT1225 was the most premium of the Quarks (XT1225/XT1250/XT1225), as they also had more HSPA and LTE bands (but no CDMA, which most people outside the U.S. don't need anyway) and had bootloader unlockable from Motorola website (since they were not Verizon phones). But his phone was a 32GB XT1225 -- which doesn't exist, except perhaps inside Motorola test labs. So, no way to predict if Quark custom ROMs would work correctly on it, as they are developed for retail phones..

But yours is a 64GB XT1254 also with ballistic nylon and your bootloader is already unlocked. So, congratulations.