• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Moto X4 Models (NO Bootloader Unlocking)

Search This thread

SoNic67

Apr 10, 2011
Isn't that the Z2 Force phones for TMo don't have CDMA? So they don't work on Verizon network (or their MVNO).

Last edited:

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
Isn't that the Z2 Force phones for TMo don't have CDMA? So they don't work on Verizon network (or their MVNO).

Correct. But I care about privacy so would never use Verizon. And I care about internet neutrality so would never use Verizon or AT&T.

Unlocked with the Z2 now and happy. I like to run a virus scanner, and de-fang most of G**gle's snooping toys, and so must have root.

jiggyman

Dec 24, 2004
Atlanta
I've tried everything; Motorola's software on Linux, Windows 10, on every selection in the fastboot menu, upside-down and sideways.

Looks to me like it's more likely the new XT1900s are not unlockable, like it says on the Motorola page.

I give up on the XT1900.
Did you ever get your Moto X4 unlocked? I just bought one from Best Buy and unlocked it on the first try. My model is XT1900-1.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Quantumstate

Feb 6, 2010
I said above.

Now; I don't run Windows like it seems the rest of you do. I tried fastboot.exe in a virtual machine, but that failed too. It just gave . . . and hung forever.

TheBassDude

Nov 29, 2015
Carbondale, IL
I said above.

Now; I don't run Windows like it seems the rest of you do. I tried fastboot.exe in a virtual machine, but that failed too. It just gave . . . and hung forever.

So are you using Linux? I unlocked and rooted my XT1900-1 in Ubuntu just yesterday. Initially ran into some trouble with the commands once the phone was rebooted to fastboot. Turns out all I had to do was use "sudo" for those commands and then it worked like a charm!

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV

jiggyman

Dec 24, 2004
Atlanta
Possibly thinking on purchasing a Moto X4 from Best Buy and just wanting to make sure that it is bootloader unlockable since the moto website doesnt list it as one that can be unlocked?

https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solution/MS87215
Yes it is unlockable. It's the XT1900-1 Retail Edition. I bought it and unlocked it right out of the box. I flashed the Android One stock Oreo firmware and I'm loving it!

Archangel

Inactive Recognized Themer
Jul 14, 2010
Reno, NV
Thank you for answering! Did you unlock using the moto website? I was just wondering about the unlock codes because on the site it doesnt say this model is eligible for unlocking?

Yes it is unlockable. It's the XT1900-1 Retail Edition. I bought it and unlocked it right out of the box. I flashed the Android One stock Oreo firmware and I'm loving it!

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Could someone answer a simple question.

Project Fi version of Moto X4

Is Bootloader unlockable?

Is the method to use

fastboot oem get_unlock_data

and get the unlock code from moto website

or is it even simpler and I can do

fastboot oem unlock

On the older nexus devices from google you could just do the bootloader unlock from fastboot without need to retrieve an unlock code from manufacturer.

With the different versions of this phone, I was unsure if the bootloader unlock procedure was the same on all variants.

carloandreaguilar

Nov 16, 2014
I have the Amazon version with ads and Alexa but my model# is :XT1900-1
Will I be able to unlock the bootloader?
Me too. Does anyone think maybe we can flash the retail or A1 stock firmware??? We have the same exact model number

Some people with the xt-1900-7 Amazon variant can flash the A1 firmware but can have modem issues or fingerprint issues.

Is it logical to think we wouldn't since we have the same exact model number?

deadrage78

Oct 23, 2011
anacortes
Did you ever find any more info about this?
Could someone answer a simple question.

Project Fi version of Moto X4

Is Bootloader unlockable?

Is the method to use

and get the unlock code from moto website

or is it even simpler and I can do

fastboot oem unlock

On the older nexus devices from google you could just do the bootloader unlock from fastboot without need to retrieve an unlock code from manufacturer.

With the different versions of this phone, I was unsure if the bootloader unlock procedure was the same on all variants.

Zarxrax

Sep 3, 2013
I got the Android One version from Project Fi, and I'm not having any luck unlocking this either. Can anyone answer definitively whether the project fi version is unlockable? If not then I just wasted a bunch of money on a phone that I thought I could unlock :(

(bootloader) slot-suffi: not found
(bootloader) 'get_unlock_datas' is not a supported oem command
(bootloader) See 'fastboot oem help'
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.000s

(bootloader) slot-counttas: not found
(bootloader) slo: not found
(bootloader) slot-suffi: not found
FAILED (remote: unknown command)
finished. total time: 0.000s

jhedfors

Oct 16, 2009
St Paul, AZ
Moto G6
OnePlus 6T
Last edited:

Zarxrax

Sep 3, 2013

Zarxrax

Sep 3, 2013
Today I tried uninstalling the motorola drivers, reinstalling and then rebooting, now it works. My best guess is that the drivers got corrupted somehow the first time I installed them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Project Fi (Google Fi)

I am Google Subscriber of Project Fi and purchased my phone 2-3 months ago. My phone came preinstalled with Andriod 7.0 and after a lot of updates, I finally updated to the current Andriod 8.1.0 ( OPW28.2 May 1, 2018). A few more details

• Model: Moto X4
    • Software Variant: google_fi
    • Software Channel: retus
    • SKU: XT1900-1
    • Andriod security patch level: May 1, 2018
    • Baseband version: M660_7042.27.01.74R PAYTON_NA_CUST
    • Kernel version: 4.4.78-perf-g1828778-00020-gc8620a9-dirty (gcc version 4.9.x 20150123 (prerelease) (GCC) ) [email protected] #1 Rue May 15 08 08:21:53 CDT 2018
    • Motorola version is: OPW25.46-18

I used Mozilla Firefox to access Motorola's website and on more than one occasion would accept the long code generated by fastboot.exe which I obtained here ( ), but upon clicking submit on Motorola's website, I would be greeted with a white page (all white), with a single sentence which read that there was an error on the site (more or less, I forget the exact words). However, I did not give up and continued to try several times and today, finally, was successful.

Additional steps I took include that I did register my device with Motorola's website before unlocking my phone ( ). I noticed their warranty really isn't long since they claimed it was going to expire December 2018 (6 months from now) and so I didn't feel guilting knowing that unlocking my phone wasn't going to be an issue for me (I still have another device registered with them that will remain untouched and locked.).

If I can learn how to obtain the ever so sought after firmware, I'd be happy to share it here since I know people always seem to want that. That said, YES, you can indeed unlock this phone.

edit: To prevent spam on the XDA forums, ALL new users prevented from posting outside links in their messages. After approximately 10 posts, you will be able to post outside links. Thank you for understanding!

^ To new to be helpful. Kind of counterproductive, but OK...
    Possibly thinking on purchasing a Moto X4 from Best Buy and just wanting to make sure that it is bootloader unlockable since the moto website doesnt list it as one that can be unlocked?

https://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solution/MS87215

Got that "your device doesnt qualify for bootloader unlocking" fuc.... message. The unbranded version is the model XT1900-7 and was bought in Germany at a large electronic store (Mediamarkt).
    Tested different optios (OEM lock, ...) in developer options. That makes no difference. The unlock data string stays the same.
    As this is an unbranded free phone bought without a provider contact or so, I'm not sure how to get a unlockable X4.
    Anybody with an idea how to check it before buying one?
    Thanx in advance.
    You can try another browser or incognito mode, sometimes the website give an error.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=77685214&postcount=425
    Is there unlocking issue with regular version too ???

no. that's motorola usual unlocking process, completely safe unless YOU do something wrong, of course.
    Do you think this device get good development as off now no twrp and unlocking bootloader is of no use.
    twrp will be ready soon, then the fun will start ;)