moto z battery issue

Search This thread

winner1

Apr 8, 2010
hi all ... how r u? ..... i got an issue with my moto z phone and i think its the battery ..... the phone doesnt start up unless its plugged in and once i remove the charger the phone dies even though its saying the battery is 90% and doesnt start up again unless plugged in .... i've tried all troubleshoot solution on motorola website like restarting the phone, reset, hard reset, everything and its still having the same issue
did this issue happen to someone else and whats the solution for this issue
thanx in advance

tsoump

Apr 10, 2014
hi all ... how r u? ..... i got an issue with my moto z phone and i think its the battery ..... the phone doesnt start up unless its plugged in and once i remove the charger the phone dies even though its saying the battery is 90% and doesnt start up again unless plugged in .... i've tried all troubleshoot solution on motorola website like restarting the phone, reset, hard reset, everything and its still having the same issue
thanx in advance

Sounds a hardware problem so. You should change your defective battery. It is a typical problem of these devices.

winner1

Apr 8, 2010
Sounds a hardware problem so. You should change your defective battery. It is a typical problem of these devices.
is there an app or a way to test the battery health while the phone is charging? to make sure its the battery not anything else controlling the power in the phone

tsoump

Apr 10, 2014
is there an app or a way to test the battery health while the phone is charging? to make sure its the battery not anything else controlling the power in the phone

There are many apps for testing it, try some from the google play. But it would be better to find the Motorola's service of your area, because it might has problem the motherboard as well. I'm saying this from my experience.

Reactions: winner1

winner1

Apr 8, 2010
There are many apps for testing it, try some from the google play. But it would be better to find the Motorola's service of your area, because it might has problem the motherboard as well. I'm saying this from my experience.

the problem that motorola service in egypt "my area" will cost me more than the phone price .... thats why i wanna do it or test it myself

Orangley

Mar 22, 2014
Çanakkale
I have that problem for months. Changing battery helped me for 3 or 4 months. But it keeps happening. I'm having that issue "again" so if you have chance to buy another one do it. Save yourself and save your money for good. Cause you'll keep paying for battery after warranty and you'll say yourself "wow i could buy another phone."

Reactions: winner1

frey.derico

Sep 15, 2012
Kediri
Moto Z
Google Pixel 2 XL
thanx in advance

I got issue, so i decide to buy new battery
Well done

danielspain

Sep 29, 2019
Hello , this is due to android 7.1 update . Lenovo is responsible for doing this to us , it´s called programmed obsolenscence to make you buy new phones. This moto z is the cheapest vr ready phone in the market with a long long life in terms of tech , the only way is to buy a moto mod check in ebay (sept-2019) they are selling some for cheap from hong kong because a new moto mod battery came out with more mah.

btelman96

May 1, 2016
I have had that battery issue before with a Moto Z that I bought in November 2016. The issues started around August 2017. When I had the issues I prolonged the use of the phone without replacing it by using a battery mod, but after some time it would power off even while on the battery, and would immediately power off the second I took the battery mod off probably a few months before that.

I eventually gave into buying a new battery for it and attempting to replace it myself. I rooted the phone first thing when I initially got it, so I didn't try doing official repairs since warranty was voided. Ended up breaking the screen in the process, ordering a new screen (had issues), and then ended up refunding the screen and just sending it into Motorola for replacement. The new 3rd party battery did seem to work without issue for the short time I tested it, so that may be an option, but might end up needing to be replaced in a year. The screen was really easy to break though.

I got a refurbished phone back and it is just now starting to show the same issues again (Replaced it March 2018, have not rooted yet). Had it abruptly die at around 20% earlier today. Not that bad but good to know that it may be starting to happen with this phone. This one I still have left plugged in every night, but without the turbo charger.

Debating on the next phone upgrade right now or if I just want to downgrade to a Moto Z Play I have laying around if it becomes unusable. I will still keep them around since I mess around with the dev kit, but not planning on getting another Motorola as a main phone if I get a new one.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019
thanx in advance
seems a manufacture fault .. i found some info regarding your issue on another thread .. https://xdaforums.com/moto-z/how-to/defective-battery-lots-moto-zhigh-t3781335

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have that problem for months. Changing battery helped me for 3 or 4 months. But it keeps happening. I'm having that issue "again" so if you have chance to buy another one do it. Save yourself and save your money for good. Cause you'll keep paying for battery after warranty and you'll say yourself "wow i could buy another phone."