Moto Z Play doesn't support wireless display/mirroring/miracast ?! Is it True ?! :/

Search This thread

shantusingh

Mar 15, 2009
New Delhi, IN
I am shocked many people say Moto Z Play doesn't support wireless display/mirroring/miracast ?! Is it True ?! :/

And is it a good buy after HTC ONE M8 Gold (with the jbl mod, so not talking about speakers) in performance/multitasking ?!

Will highly appreciate the answers!

I Love XDA!!

joshua764

Jun 11, 2012
mexico df
I am shocked many people say Moto Z Play doesn't support wireless display/mirroring/miracast ?! Is it True ?! :/

And is it a good buy after HTC ONE M8 Gold (with the jbl mod, so not talking about speakers) in performance/multitasking ?!

Will highly appreciate the answers!

I Love XDA!!
so is. Does not support what is mentioned. Only through chome cast

enviado desde moto z play.

parusia

Nov 19, 2010
Houston
My led is a smart t.v. and is has screen mirroring in it. And if i download screen mirroring app on moto z play, still it won't run ?!
I got an LG 65" smart TV, a 55" Samsung smart TV and 52" Vizio Smart TV, MirrorLink to smart TV is not working with any of them. However you can use an application named AllCast from play store (it's a paid application, the free one gives you only 5 minutes of transmission time for free), with that application you will be able to mirror videos, pictures, power points, etc to the smart TV. You can't mirror the entire content from your phone to the smart TV, but that is good enough for me.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using XDA-Developers mobile app

freibooter

Dec 28, 2007
That's the crux of the near-stock and near-Nexus experience. Google disabled Miracast in the Nexus and Pixel line and Motorola followed suit.

The most frustrating thing: Android is still perfectly capable of Miracast, it has simply been disabled in the build.prop and can't be re-enabled without root (same as with the Nexus phones).

The good news: if you really, really need it, unlock your bootloader, get root and re-enable it. Change persist.debug.wfd.enable=0 to persist.debug.wfd.enable=1 or add the line if it's missing in your build.prop and Miracast should be somewhat functional again.

Dr. Bogenbroom

Aug 24, 2011
I'm a little lost here...I can cast to my TV (Sony XBR-65X810C). I do not have a hardware chromecast device.

turkobr

Dec 30, 2011
If you rooted your phone you can make it work:

Edit your build.prop file in /system, adding or editing this line:

persist.debug.wfd.enable=1

Reboot your phone.

Miracast will now be enabled, but you may need to turn it on in settings:

Go to Android Settings
Go to Display
Go to Cast Screen
Tap the button in the top right corner (vertical 3-dots)
Check mark Enable wireless display

shantusingh

Mar 15, 2009
New Delhi, IN
I'm a little lost here...I can cast to my TV (Sony XBR-65X810C). I do not have a hardware chromecast device.

I also have a SonyUHD TV XBR-49X800D and I can cast without any app or chromecast.

wow i too have a sony 32" led which has screen mirroring and panasonic 42" led smart t.v. , i am about to get my phone in a week's time, hope it works for me without any hardware . Will try from settings first, if it will not work then will try from 3rd party miracast apps, and so on. Will update you guys soon.

Thank you so much for telling me that there is a hope and possibility that it may work. I don't want to root or unlock bootloader , as i did with htc m8 and once its battery dies and if i try to turn it on few times in 0% battery (where it shuts down after showing logo only) and then when i plug the charger and turn it on, it ends up just giving errors and errors and I am left with no option to hard reset it. And start up logo also lags now even after hard reset.

I am pretty sure companies are so smart now, that they trigger something to cause certain issues once someone roots their phone or unlocks the bootloader mainly.

thisisjason

Nov 13, 2014
wow i too have a sony 32" led which has screen mirroring and panasonic 42" led smart t.v. , i am about to get my phone in a week's time, hope it works for me without any hardware . Will try from settings first, if it will not work then will try from 3rd party miracast apps, and so on. Will update you guys soon.

Thank you so much for telling me that there is a hope and possibility that it may work. I don't want to root or unlock bootloader , as i did with htc m8 and once its battery dies and if i try to turn it on few times in 0% battery (where it shuts down after showing logo only) and then when i plug the charger and turn it on, it ends up just giving errors and errors and I am left with no option to hard reset it. And start up logo also lags now even after hard reset.

I am pretty sure companies are so smart now, that they trigger something to cause certain issues once someone roots their phone or unlocks the bootloader mainly.

Do you know the model numbers of your tvs? It'll only work if they have Google Cast built-in rather than miracast

shantusingh

Mar 15, 2009
New Delhi, IN
Do you know the model numbers of your tvs? It'll only work if they have Google Cast built-in rather than miracast

I got the phone, sadly neither my Sony led which has miracast and my Panasonic smart TV is searchable on the play... Cast settings page say "no nearby devices were found".

In display settings there is the cast option but no menu to select "enable wireless display" . Now I don't know if it's already enabled or what?!

Tried many apps still nothing, I don't want to root. So I need Chromecast?? or if any paid app I can look for or any other way will be great.

joshua764

Jun 11, 2012
mexico df
I got the phone, sadly neither my Sony led which has miracast and my Panasonic smart TV is searchable on the play... Cast settings page say "no nearby devices were found".

In display settings there is the cast option but no menu to select "enable wireless display" . Now I don't know if it's already enabled or what?!

Tried many apps still nothing, I don't want to root. So I need Chromecast?? or if any paid app I can look for or any other way will be great.
Only supports chromecast. It says motorola.

I use it with chromecast and it goes pretty

enviado desde moto z play.

siralsmooth

Jan 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Put a video up on YouTube.

The line is hashed out in the build.prop. Root and remove the # from the line to enable once the edit is complete, reboot, fully functional mirror exists again. Tried, tested, working. Hope this helps.

Reactions: joshua764

titaniumtux

Jan 6, 2010
You sure it's safe to modify build.prop?

Hi there. I've soft-bricked my phone in the past running Marshmallow by modifying the build.prop. You sure it's safe to modify to enable miracast? Any other tricks involved to prevent bricking the device?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's the crux of the near-stock and near-Nexus experience. Google disabled Miracast in the Nexus and Pixel line and Motorola followed suit.

The most frustrating thing: Android is still perfectly capable of Miracast, it has simply been disabled in the build.prop and can't be re-enabled without root (same as with the Nexus phones).

The good news: if you really, really need it, unlock your bootloader, get root and re-enable it. Change persist.debug.wfd.enable=0 to persist.debug.wfd.enable=1 or add the line if it's missing in your build.prop and Miracast should be somewhat functional again.
    If you rooted your phone you can make it work:

Edit your build.prop file in /system, adding or editing this line:

Reboot your phone.

Miracast will now be enabled, but you may need to turn it on in settings:

Go to Android Settings
    Go to Display
    Go to Cast Screen
    Tap the button in the top right corner (vertical 3-dots)
    Check mark Enable wireless display
    Put a video up on YouTube.

The line is hashed out in the build.prop. Root and remove the # from the line to enable once the edit is complete, reboot, fully functional mirror exists again. Tried, tested, working. Hope this helps.

my moto z play don't have this line in build prop. what I do?

If line is not there in ur build.prop

Than add this line