Motorcycle Intercom (Autocom)?

Search This thread

steen-p

Nov 28, 2004
After playing with the idea for almost 5 years I think I am now ready to buy an Intercom for my old bike (1984 BMW R100RS).

My intention with the intercom is to be able to speak with the pillion rider of course, but mostly it is to have the ability to use the features of the Himalaya (Qtek 2020), including:

• GSM speech (from both rider and passenger)
• Audio (directions e.t.c.) from the Navigator software (GPS Bluetooth connected – so there are no issues regarding the GPS)
• Audio when using it as an MP3 player

I want to connect the intercom with the 22 pin flat connector, because I also want to charge the phone, and do not want to have the troubles of connecting two connectors (round and flat) at the same time.

I have had a look on the page: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/wiki/Connectors. Instead of going for the DIY Car-handsfree, is it possible to connect the pins from the Himalaya directly to the intercom unit? The intercom unit it prepared for attaching phones.

Audio Connections:

As I read the description (and if it is possible to connect directly into the intercom unit) I would connect it as follows (since the microphone and speakers will be connected to the intercom unit, the following is the “virtual” connections through the cable into the intercom unit and onwards to the mic./speakers in the helmets):

Microphone:
Pin 1 – Line in
Pin 5 – Mic. Ground

Right Speaker:
Pin 3 – Left Speaker
Pin 5 – Speaker Ground

Left Speaker:
Pin 4 – Left Speaker
Pin 5 – Speaker Ground

Question:
I am not sure about pin 19 (CAR_ON#), but as I read it, it must be connected to ground (not the audio ground), in order to have all audio input/output come from/to the intercom. Is that correct?

Charging connections:

I will be using a 5V (7805) regulator, and connect:

Pin 20, 21, 22 – + 5V
Pin 16, 17, 18 – Ground (and maybe pin 19 – se above)

Question:
The “Power hookup” digram shows pin 15 (UDC-) should be connected to the ground, along with pin 17 and 18 – but not pin 16.

Pin 19 is connected to +5/6V, but the pin 20 is not.

What is correct in my case – the “DIY Car-handsfree” or the “Power hookup” diagram?

Summary:

Have I overlooked something (forgotten connections/wrong connections)?
Will what I have described work as intended?
Has anyone had any experiences connecting the Himalaya to an MC intercom?

The Intercom:
The intercom I have in mind is an Autocom Active-Rider (kit 3). http://www.autocom.co.uk/

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steen

datasafe

May 6, 2003
Did you have any success?

I have the MDAIII and want to use it on my motorbike with the Autocom.

steen-p

Nov 28, 2004
Yes :D

I have used it all of this season, and coversation possible up to 180 km/h - which is as fast as my old Beemer can do.

/Steen

AndrewB

Sep 8, 2005
Hi steen, are you still around?

I've just fitted an Autocom to my BMW and I am now looking to connect my XDA IIs to it and wondered if you could help with a schematic?

Andrew

ooranoo

I've just bought an Autocom unit and have laid it out for a dry run. I've fitted the speakers into the helmets and mike boons. When I attached my XDA mini s, I attached it through the headphone jack with a 2.5mm. Trouble is, when I receive a call, Ican hear them but they cannot hear me as it is in the headphone slot. Is there anyway of connecting the phone so that I can be heard, ie, via the mini USB slot.
Thanks in advance.

TDIPower

Feb 29, 2004
i think you will find you need a 4 ring 2.5mm plug for the mini s. im not sure which does what yet but will be looking into this soon. i think though it goes from the tip to the body of the plug

tip audio (poss left)
ring 1 audio (poss right)
ring 2 mic
ring 4 ground (common to both mic and audio)

so if you are using a normal 3 ring 2.5mm you will be shorting the mic to ground thus it cant be heard.
All you will need to do then is patch them to the correct connections on the bike system.

Im wanting to do this for myself but im going to build into the connection between the mini s and the bike system a push switch (add the patch to get the talk button to fire up the voice dial) and copy the wiring on the mini s supplied headphones.

joepierce1988

Dec 29, 2010
I have used it all of this season, and coversation possible up to 180 km/h - which is as fast as my old Beemer can do.

ron619

Dec 23, 2010
Sena SMH10

An affordable Motorcycle intercom system for Rider to Passenger with input for Music, includes 2 headsets.