Motorola Bootloader Petition (>10K sigs & Moto Response)

Search This thread

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
Visit Groubal and sign the petition: http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/

Retweet: http://twitter.com/#!/ibproud/status/52265679990169600

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/unlockmoto

UPDATE (14th June 2011):

We are now over the 10,000 mark.

I have now spoken with Motorola and gotten confirmation that Motorola plan to unlock every device that will get an update in the second half of this year. This will include maintenance & firmware updates, but is still subject to Carrier approval.

The promising sign is that Verizon has already allowed Motorola to unlock a device on their network, the Xoom, which utilizes the unlockable/re-lockable model that Motorola intends on using across their devices.

I'm still looking to work with Motorola in the coming months to help see if we can make this a smooth process for Motorola and the community.

You can read the article here:
http://ausdroid.net/2011/06/14/an-u...witter&utm_campaign=Feed:+ausdroid+(Ausdroid)

Please share this where you can and keep it alive. I will continue to work with Motorola to see if we can get this thing torn wide open.

UPDATE (26th April 2011):

We are now at ~8,700 mark.

Motorola has now responded to me, stating that they are looking at unlocking bootloaders across their devices late 2011.

The article for the story can be found here:
http://ausdroid.net/2011/04/26/the-little-aussie-taking-on-motorola-u-s/#more-8184

We're still seeking clarity around whether this will be for current devices or only future devices.

I couldn't have gotten this far without the support of everyone here. You guys and girls have been a huge support and help me turn this snowball into a wrecking ball.

Please share this where you can and keep it alive. I will continue to work with Motorola to see if we can get this thing torn wide open.

Previous Update (4th April 2011):

We are now at ~7600 mark.

We're starting to slow down from our initial boom, so I have now set up a Facebook page to see if we can wrangle in some supporters that don't use Twitter or XDA.

I will need your help getting this out there. So share the facebook page where you can.

I'm also looking to see if anyone is interested in helping me Moderate the page. Please PM if you are.

Original Post:
Hi All,

I have created a Groubal (online petition) to get a response from Motorola on it's bootloader policy.

>>This petition started for the Atrix, but I made sure that it was for Motorola's overall Bootloader Policy. I have reached 200 signatures in 2 weeks, but now believe it's time to expand this out of the Atrix space and into the larger Motorola Dev community.

Last edited:
T

tical2k

IMO waste of time.

Moto thinks they're God. Also, odds are your gorilla glass will be cracked before this bootloader.

On the other hand, class-action lawsuit is more appealing. Somehow get a lawyer to argue the users right to UTILIZE the hardware, as moto isn't. Lawsuits are the only thing corporations understand.

I did sign it, but I got no hopes...

Last edited:

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
IMO waste of time.

Moto thinks they're God. Also, odds are your gorilla glass will be cracked before this bootloader.

On the other hand, class-action lawsuit is more appealing. Somehow get a lawyer to argue the users right to UTILIZE the hardware, as moto isn't. Lawsuits are the only thing corporations understand.

While litigation may be the way in the U.S. it is not the way in the land down under. We have Government appointed watchdogs that provide avenues for complaints and comments. If a complaint is sufficiently raised to an Ombudsman the company the complaint is about is charged a fee for every day the complaint is not resolved.

Unfortunately the Atrix is not commercially available in Australia and thus I cannot pursue this in a typical Australian way.

If suing the pants of Motorola is likely to work, then I encourage any U.S. Citizens to do so (but only after carefully considering the cause and affect).

I am simply encouraging everyone to focus their complaints rather than spreading it across so many channels and losing it's potency.

Also: in all honesty, it's not really wasting that much time, since I would normally be wasting this time flashing experimental Roms, which I can't do due to obvious readons. :p

Athailias

Aug 21, 2010
McKinney
Signed and linked to on Facebook. It's no more a waste of time than flashing a rom...
edit hehe. You beat me to the waste of time comment :p

Reactions: ikenley

CC Lemon

Feb 17, 2011
I'll sign but this has a much lower chance of succeeding than the AT&T service petition, and I'm not convinced we'll see many results from that one.

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
I'll sign but this has a much lower chance of succeeding than the AT&T service petition, and I'm not convinced we'll see many results from that one.

But there's no harm in trying is there?

I think that when compared with the DroidX and Droid2, this phone will be available around the world. Verizon is one of the only carriers that still uses CDMA and thus smaller consumer base for the Droid series Motorola phones.
Once the Global Atrix's are released we should see a lot more attention as well as the European Unions attitude towards anti-competitive behaviour might force an inquiry.

Once again, I'm a tad idealistic and am very keen for your support as well as your constructive feedback.

irenic

Dec 17, 2007
signed~! but i only put 1% of my hopes in this and the rest 99% in the developers to crack the bootloader themselves!!

noblewolf

Sep 2, 2007
haha.. as if motorola cares. you already bought, its a done deal! they even promised 1080p recording on the specs sheet followed by "(in the future update)".. i seriously dont think there will be an update on this thing..

before you buy, they promise lots of things, "in the future update".

after you gave buy and after a while try asking for the update.. these f*cktards will just say... "what update?"

my hope leans more on supporting the developers who are working hard to crack this wonderful device.. rather than wasting time begging to motorola after you shelled out that sum.

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
haha.. as if motorola cares. you already bought, its a done deal! they even promised 1080p recording on the specs sheet followed by "(in the future update)".. i seriously dont think there will be an update on this thing..

before you buy, they promise lots of things, "in the future update".

after you gave buy and after a while try asking for the update.. these f*cktards will just say... "what update?"

my hope leans more on supporting the developers who are working hard to crack this wonderful device.. rather than wasting time begging to motorola after you shelled out that sum.

Completely agree, but in all honesty, I had the time to waste.

The Dev's really are the ones that will get the bootloader unlocked or bypassed before motorola even decides to do anything.

The Dev threads are starting to get really exciting.

Sent from my MB860

ikenley

Jun 16, 2010
Melbourne
Continuing the Battle

So we're up near the 200 signature mark now for the Petition. I've been in touch with Motorola about 6 times in the last 2 weeks, not giving up on this one though.

My last response from them was:
Dear Irwin,

I do apologize but there is no definite timeframe yet for the announcement of the bootloader solution for our mobile phones. Updates for the Motorola ATRIX will be posted first at http://www.motorola.com/Support/CA-EN/Consumer-Support/Mobile-Phones/ATRIX. I'm so sorry for that inconvenience.

We hope that you find this information useful and look forward to assisting you in the future.

For information about Motorola products and services, please visit us at http://www.motorola.com/

Thank you for contacting Motorola e-mail support.

Best Regards,

Neil

So it's not a flat out denial of an imminent bootloader solution, but we're no closer either.

I will now create similar posts in the other Motorola forums on XDA and see if we can get our Brothers & Sisters to join the party.

I know there are a lot of skeptics, but I will keep trying. I don't have the skill to help the Dev's crack the phone, but I do have the patience to make our voices heard.

dLo GSR

Mar 7, 2011
Los Angeles
So we're up near the 200 signature mark now for the Petition. I've been in touch with Motorola about 6 times in the last 2 weeks, not giving up on this one though.

My last response from them was:

So it's not a flat out denial of an imminent bootloader solution, but we're no closer either.

I will now create similar posts in the other Motorola forums on XDA and see if we can get our Brothers & Sisters to join the party.

I know there are a lot of skeptics, but I will keep trying. I don't have the skill to help the Dev's crack the phone, but I do have the patience to make our voices heard.

"bootloader solution" can mean anything. it can even mean staying with their locked bootloader is their solution.

xfinrodx

Jul 26, 2010
Spokane
Signed. Maybe someone should design a B&W 8.5x11 printout that can be posted at universities to drum up support... I'm in a CS program and I'm sure there are more than a couple who would take the 2 seconds necessary to sign- I just don't know any of them personally!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Visit Groubal and sign the petition: http://www.groubal.com/motorola-lockedencrypted-bootloader-policy/

Retweet: http://twitter.com/#!/ibproud/status/52265679990169600

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/unlockmoto

UPDATE (14th June 2011):

We are now over the 10,000 mark.

I have now spoken with Motorola and gotten confirmation that Motorola plan to unlock every device that will get an update in the second half of this year. This will include maintenance & firmware updates, but is still subject to Carrier approval.

The promising sign is that Verizon has already allowed Motorola to unlock a device on their network, the Xoom, which utilizes the unlockable/re-lockable model that Motorola intends on using across their devices.

I'm still looking to work with Motorola in the coming months to help see if we can make this a smooth process for Motorola and the community.

You can read the article here:
    http://ausdroid.net/2011/06/14/an-u...witter&utm_campaign=Feed:+ausdroid+(Ausdroid)

UPDATE (26th April 2011):

We are now at ~8,700 mark.

Motorola has now responded to me, stating that they are looking at unlocking bootloaders across their devices late 2011.

The article for the story can be found here:
    http://ausdroid.net/2011/04/26/the-little-aussie-taking-on-motorola-u-s/#more-8184

We're still seeking clarity around whether this will be for current devices or only future devices.

I couldn't have gotten this far without the support of everyone here. You guys and girls have been a huge support and help me turn this snowball into a wrecking ball.

Previous Update (4th April 2011):

We are now at ~7600 mark.

We're starting to slow down from our initial boom, so I have now set up a Facebook page to see if we can wrangle in some supporters that don't use Twitter or XDA.

I will need your help getting this out there. So share the facebook page where you can.

I'm also looking to see if anyone is interested in helping me Moderate the page. Please PM if you are.

Original Post:
    Hi All,

I have created a Groubal (online petition) to get a response from Motorola on it's bootloader policy.

>>This petition started for the Atrix, but I made sure that it was for Motorola's overall Bootloader Policy. I have reached 200 signatures in 2 weeks, but now believe it's time to expand this out of the Atrix space and into the larger Motorola Dev community.
    Updated OP.
    Good news!
    Signed and linked to on Facebook. It's no more a waste of time than flashing a rom...
    edit hehe. You beat me to the waste of time comment :p
    Signed it just a second ago!
    Motorola has responded. Refer to Original Post.