• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Motorola Edge S (Delayed/No Notification until you open the App)

Search This thread

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
Hi, I'm planning to buy the Motorola Edge S (not G100) as it is cheaper.
Previously, I owned a Moto P30 (the phone that looks like the iPhone X) and China ROMs even on other OEMs have this weird bug where you won't receive any notifications say, in WhatsApp unless you open the app itself (already enabled app in background/disabled optimizations etc..).

Is this "bug" still persists in latest Moto phones using China ROM?
Hope someone can confirm. Thanks.

draxema

Feb 5, 2013
Motorola Moto G100 / Edge S
I personally bought it from AliExpress and the vendor already unlocked the bootloader and flashed the global ron with Google Play. My edge S with the global rom from the vendor has no problem with the notifications. Depending where you buy it you can have it with the global rom already instead of needing to do it yourself.

Keep in mind you wont pass safetynet, you may need to install Magisk for it

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
Thanks. I don't intend on flashing it to Global ROM. There is no issue with Motorola global ROMs as notification is working fine. I just need some confirmation if China ROM still has this weird bug. This is true for any Android phone without GMS (a lot of complaints in Huawei forums with this problem).

hkdoublecat

Jul 13, 2011
There should be some battery optimizing setting behind. If you cannot set it via whatsapp & phone setting, you will need to kill such background app by adb

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
Disabling battery optimization and putting the app with "unrestricted data usage" didn't help (on my previous Moto P30 running China ROM). Same case as the Lenovo z6 Pro based on China ROM. Android will kill the app (ex. WhatsApp) regardless whether you put it on whitelist.

But both are old devices running an old version of Android. Anyway, I would still buy the Motorola Edge S (Pioneer Edition). An irritating bug (for devices without GMS) which Android developers should have squashed a long time ago.

baikal0912

Oct 20, 2014
Settings Edge S with Chinese firmware.

1.Settings - System - Advanced. Google Play Services - On.

2. Download, unpack, and install Google Services.

3. Configuring notifications and application operation.

a) System-Apps & notifications-Special app access-Battery optimization.
For the necessary applications and notifications: Enable - Don’t optimize

b) Launch the application - Device shield.
Background running
– Allow app running in background.
Auto start apps - Enable the applications you need.

Last edited:

ijuanp03

Mar 26, 2010
So I got my phone already setup with all Google-related apps installed.

I configured the settings by whitelisting Google and all apps important to me like WhatsApp.

In Device Shield, I ensured my apps are whitelisted to allow background processing at all times and put them in auto start.

Adding to that, in battery settings, I put them in Do Not Optimize. I also ensured to allow background data.

For now, everything works PERFECTLY. Notifications arrive on time and I don't even miss any WhatsApp calls. It is either that OR my I'm still using my phone too much (not even 12 hours since I got it).

sakalakiran

Jun 10, 2010
So I got my phone already setup with all Google-related apps installed.

I configured the settings by whitelisting Google and all apps important to me like WhatsApp.

In Device Shield, I ensured my apps are whitelisted to allow background processing at all times and put them in auto start.

Adding to that, in battery settings, I put them in Do Not Optimize. I also ensured to allow background data.

For now, everything works PERFECTLY. Notifications arrive on time and I don't even miss any WhatsApp calls. It is either that OR my I'm still using my phone too much (not even 12 hours since I got it).
Hi, I got the same problem. WhatsApp calls don't work properly. If any one knows how to remove/kill the background app procedure through adb, please share the same.