• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Motorola releasing 3.1 update to Wifi users today!!

Search This thread

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Hello Xoomers!! Motorola announced that they are releasing Honeycomb 3.1 to Xoom Wifi owners starting today in phases. I believe the updates are based on your MAC addresses on your Xooms, this was what I was told (sources withheld) but I can not confirm this 100%. Anyway, we should start seeing a steady rollout of updates as there have been no issues with the updates with Xoom 3g owners. Please be sure to thank me :)

Fingers crossed!!

Forgot to mention, the official WIfi only version of 3.1 does NOT contain the Movie tab in the marketplace. No biggie to me, but it will be released sometime later.

Last edited:
B

bd85

Is ut only the US version of wifi-only that will start to get the update?
How about the European version? Will it start to roll out to us to?

Can only find info that people with the US version have got it. What about we with Eu version,

Sent from my MZ604 using XDA Premium App

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I hope this is true bc u have no idea how happy just seeing this post made me lol.

LOL..I pissed my pants while typing it I was so happy! But yes I have confirmation fro other Wifi owners who have received the update this morning EST. Also there has been official word on the update being released to wifi users. I cant wait to see the popup on my xoom. Remember though, its in phases, so please be patient people. Also, 3.1 does not fix the slowness in auto rotate because this is not a google problem, its an issue with the Xoom models which should be patched soon(again sources withheld) may have something to do with increasing the cache but again Im not 100% sure on this. Good luck!!

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Is ut only the US version of wifi-only that will start to get the update?
How about the European version? Will it start to roll out to us to?

Can only find info that people with the US version have got it. What about we with Eu version,

FRom what I was informed, it only appears that the US versions will start receiving updates today, there seems to be some confusion on when the Euro and Canadian models will receive the updates...sorry

dantheman8987

Jun 15, 2010
Got my OTA this morning on my Wi-Fi Xoom in US.

Kinda ticked off that we Wi-Fi people get snubbed out of the Movie app for no reason. Especially when I have a trip this weekend that I was looking forward to using the movie app.

V

vizir

i got my ota update at around 12:30am last night. did a restore to stock and then used power+volup button to reboot and then check updates.

Kinda ticked off that we Wi-Fi people get snubbed out of the Movie app for no reason. Especially when I have a trip this weekend that I was looking forward to using the movie app.

what do you mean snubbed out of the movie app? movie editing or movie watching?

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
great. seems like you have a lot of info from your sources. so i will ask you this, without providing exact info (dates, time, etc.), are we close to an SD fix? Simple yes or no.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009

This was not done purposely, looks like their was a "bug" which caused issues with Wifi owners. But I would rather have the update now than to have to wait another few weeks just for the movie tab to be added. Enjoy your 3.1!! I'm told that the auto-rotate issue should be patched also hopefully soon!!

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
great. seems like you have a lot of info from your sources. so i will ask you this, without providing exact info (dates, time, etc.), are we close to an SD fix? Simple yes or no.

Hey there! yes, the SD issue is NOT Motorola's fault, contrary to what is believed..this is a issue with Honeycomb itself which Google is aware of and will fix. The other tablets that do have the SD card support are using a "work-around" but its not the official fix. From what I "hear" the issue is how Honeycomb sees the SD card, this will be officially fixed soon. I believe that the other tabs will receive an update for the SD card also, as the way it works for them is not "official"

B

bd85

FRom what I was informed, it only appears that the US versions will start receiving updates today, there seems to be some confusion on when the Euro and Canadian models will receive the updates...sorry

Thanks.
Just hopes it not will take to long time before they start to send out the update.

timrock

Dec 10, 2010
Hey there! yes, the SD issue is NOT Motorola's fault, contrary to what is believed..this is a issue with Honeycomb itself which Google is aware of and will fix. The other tablets that do have the SD card support are using a "work-around" but its not the official fix. From what I "hear" the issue is how Honeycomb sees the SD card, this will be officially fixed soon. I believe that the other tabs will receive an update for the SD card also, as the way it works for them is not "official"

thanks for the response.

slack04

May 4, 2010
Can anyone provide a reliable link for this? People with wifi have been getting updates randomly for the last couple of days, so I'm not sure this is news. Not that I don't trust unsubstantiated conjecture, but... actually, I don't trust unsubstantiated conjecture.

Rellerton

Mar 11, 2008

Another post eslewhere in this forum mentioned that Motorola tech support said that a "fix" (not sure if that means Xoom only temp fix or a permanent fix from Google) for the SD card was finalized and would be pushed at close to the same time as the 3.1 update.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Can anyone provide a reliable link for this? People with wifi have been getting updates randomly for the last couple of days, so I'm not sure this is news. Not that I don't trust unsubstantiated conjecture, but... actually, I don't trust unsubstantiated conjecture.

Motorolo's official forum has recently updated this info today as well as on their facebook page (google search) I dont go around spreading false rumors pal :)..Plus Moto has employees that visit XDA also :) :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Xoomers!! Motorola announced that they are releasing Honeycomb 3.1 to Xoom Wifi owners starting today in phases. I believe the updates are based on your MAC addresses on your Xooms, this was what I was told (sources withheld) but I can not confirm this 100%. Anyway, we should start seeing a steady rollout of updates as there have been no issues with the updates with Xoom 3g owners. Please be sure to thank me :)

Fingers crossed!!

Forgot to mention, the official WIfi only version of 3.1 does NOT contain the Movie tab in the marketplace. No biggie to me, but it will be released sometime later.