• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Mount system as rw on Android 10 with Magisk 20.4

Search This thread

rmm199

Sep 30, 2020
For the record, this worked for me.

My goal is to put this [modified hosts] file in /etc to reduce Internet annoyances.

I have Magisk 21.0 installed as well. You can see below that I am su in adb.

Thanks for sharing!

From terminal:
Code:
$ su
# mount --remount / -w
# cd /system
# touch junk
# reboot
After boot in adb (... redacted for brevity):
Code:
$ adb connect 192.168.1.208
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
connected to 192.168.1.208:5555
$ adb shell
gta3xlwifi:/ $ su
gta3xlwifi:/ # cd /system
gta3xlwifi:/system # ls -l
total 104
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root   4096 2020-10-03 13:09 framework
-rw-r--r--  1 root root      0 2020-10-04 11:56 junk
drwxr-xr-x 12 root root  24576 2020-10-03 13:09 lib
gta3xlwifi:/system # rm junk
rm ro junk (y/N):y
rm: junk: Read-only file system
1|gta3xlwifi:/system #

Just tried it, however it did not work for me. I am on stock 10.
You most likely run a custom 10 ROM, that's why after reboot, your change remains persistent.

LedgendaryEpics

Jun 14, 2018
Hey I have a tab s3 (t820) running los 17.1 (android 10 Q), im trying to get write access and ive tried the codes in terminal but theyre not wotking can anyone help me?

cgiraldo84

Jan 25, 2021
I need to add a file to /system/usr/keylayout.
Thanks man, however I have no clue how to make my own Magisk Module. Any idea where I should look to learn how to do it? Basically I just want to put a file called sqlite3 into "/system/xbin/" directory.

It is working for me.
I need to put a file in "/system/usr/keylayout".
I created a magisk module installer, zipped the content and I installed it with magisk Manager from local file.
You can find the code here.
Just modify the "system" folder with the content you need.

Reactions: jhill110

jhill110

Oct 12, 2012
Santa Barbara
HTC U11
Moto G Power

It is working for me.
I created a magisk module installer, zipped the content and I installed it with magisk Manager from local file.
Not familiar with this stuff. How do I get (download it) it?

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
Solution is to downgrade to android 9 or install custom ROM until some genius figures out how to disable this new 'security feature' called shared_blocks in android 10

Last edited:

lebigmac

Jan 31, 2017
Here is the solution to your problem my friends. Enjoy!
Works like a charm in Android 10 and later. Now my system, vendor and product partitions are read-write!
Use at your own risk!

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/script-mount-system-as-read-write-android-10.4240703/

1-jpg.5235933

Reactions: pndwal

lubo777

The problem with this annoying charging / disconnect sounds in latest MIUI 12.5.6 made me crazy and I wrote a simple Magisk module which replace the annoying MIUI charging / disconnect sounds with pure silence :)
You have to flash this module in Magisc Manager and reboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 10802473
    Sht, it has to be especially make it for each smartphone? Or you think there gonna be eventually a Module for everyone?
    I'm sure eventually there will either be a universal Module, Or a way to resize the partition and change the file system to make it writable. :D
    Code:
    $ su
    # mount --remount / -w

ONLY makes effert to terminal, which means other apps like Solid Explorer, Root Explorer etc are still r/o. Some roms(Pixel Experience tested, including stock) are not working.
    Thanks man, however I have no clue how to make my own Magisk Module. Any idea where I should look to learn how to do it? Basically I just want to put a file called sqlite3 into "/system/xbin/" directory.
    You're welcome. I am also new into this, I just googled a bit.
    1) If you search on youtube : "Make Your Own Magisk Module Using Android Phone In Just 2 Minutes || Hindi Tutorial" you'll get some idea, though the guy's speaks no english.
    2) On the Magisk's dev web I told you earlier, there's this info:
    Code:
    Module Tricks
    Remove Files

How to remove a file systemless-ly? To actually make the file disappear is complicated (possible, not worth the effort). Replacing it with a dummy file should be good enough! Create an empty file with the same name and place it in the same path within a module, it shall replace your target file with a dummy file.
    Perhaps you could see it like this, dummyfile=sqlite3-file

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

On that youtube's description there's even a link to a module template.
    Look for: MAGISK TEMPLATE LINK:

It is working for me.