Question Move from Pixel 6 to Pixel 7 - complete disaster

Search This thread

2Wires

Aug 7, 2007
This is not specific to the Pixel 7, but I need an outlet for my frustration with Google :)
My Pixel 6 died yesterday while I was trying to update it to 1205. So I got the Pixel 7.
When first starting it, it asked me for my email address and password. No problem. Then it wanted to send an SMS with a code. Since I have Google Fi, I can still see my SMS on my browser. No Google text arrived. I had it resend many times, nothing.
So I used another phone to set up Google Fi to receive SMS on an actual device. Well, same issue, need to receive an SMS to receive SMS :D
Finally my account got blocked.
Luckily, I was still logged in on my computer and I disabled 2-factor, after which I was able to proceed on my Pixel 7 with only my password. Great win for security Google...
After the setup was done, I saw all the Google SMS on my phone, but still not on my browser. Big gap there.

It also didn't sync most of my settings and my WiFi passwords. I am 100% sure that I have them backed up from my P6, but they weren't synced onto my P7. Big bummer.
I also lost my messages from Threema, Signal, WhatsApp and some others. That's super sad and actually the worst of all this. Why can't Google come up with a good way to automatically backup & restore everything?
If iPhone wasn't so ****ty to use, I would switch today. Super sad & bummed.

hammered58

This is not specific to the Pixel 7, but I need an outlet for my frustration with Google :)
My Pixel 6 died yesterday while I was trying to update it to 1205. So I got the Pixel 7.
When first starting it, it asked me for my email address and password. No problem. Then it wanted to send an SMS with a code. Since I have Google Fi, I can still see my SMS on my browser. No Google text arrived. I had it resend many times, nothing.
So I used another phone to set up Google Fi to receive SMS on an actual device. Well, same issue, need to receive an SMS to receive SMS :D
Finally my account got blocked.
Luckily, I was still logged in on my computer and I disabled 2-factor, after which I was able to proceed on my Pixel 7 with only my password. Great win for security Google...
After the setup was done, I saw all the Google SMS on my phone, but still not on my browser. Big gap there.

It also didn't sync most of my settings and my WiFi passwords. I am 100% sure that I have them backed up from my P6, but they weren't synced onto my P7. Big bummer.
I also lost my messages from Threema, Signal, WhatsApp and some others. That's super sad and actually the worst of all this. Why can't Google come up with a good way to automatically backup & restore everything?
If iPhone wasn't so ****ty to use, I would switch today. Super sad & bummed.
I dont rely on google for alot of things mainly contacts , email and pictures everything else gets backed up via 3rd party apps and pc , swift backup (needs root) being one of them.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
I dont rely on google for alot of things mainly contacts , email and pictures everything else gets backed up via 3rd party apps and pc , swift backup (needs root) being one of them.
If you know what you're doing you don't need anything else other than a cable and your old phone. Without that, backup with Google backup and double it up with sms/call backup free program, no root needed. Pictures to the computer and done. Agreed it's not like TiB but nothing is. 3rd party apps like Signal and WhatsApp might need their own backup offline and then restore.