Moved cache. Browser still eating up memory

Search This thread

f4phantomii

Feb 10, 2009
I've wondered about this as well since I've moved all my caches, and yet everytime I launch the browser I get a low space warning.

chief2842

Jun 15, 2007
Just started happening to me as well, I haven't moved all cache to sd card though.

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
So, I moved all my caches to the SD card, but the browser is still eating up memory. 17mb worth so far.
Why?

where are you checking browser cache? because if you look under the applications you will always see the size of the cache .. no matter where it's located .. under my applications it states i have about 100M of space used on a 74M phone with 40M free .. how do you know it's "eating up" memory?

Henchman

Mar 22, 2007
Sherman oaks
www.markhensley.tv
where are you checking browser cache? because if you look under the applications you will always see the size of the cache .. no matter where it's located .. under my applications it states i have about 100M of space used on a 74M phone with 40M free .. how do you know it's "eating up" memory?

See, that's strange.
I've moved apps and caches to the ext2 partition using a sript moveallcachesext2.sh

And my memory slowly kept going down to 7 meg.
I backed up my bookmarks and under applications deleted the browser data.
And I went back to 25 meg free.

But it's slowly going down again.

LucidREM

Jan 18, 2009
Baltimore
www.lucidrem.us
See, that's strange.
I've moved apps and caches to the ext2 partition using a sript moveallcachesext2.sh

so how did you move the apps? or did you just move the cache files?

T

tiberiumx

You probably missed the app_thumbnails directory in the browser's data directory. This one was taking up far more space (17 MB in my case) than the cache when I was investigating why my all of my storage space was gone.

I'm not sure what this this is. The files in it don't appear to be images (the linux file command can't identify them, anyway), and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the browser to be keeping track of thumbnails of anything beyond tabs (which should die when the browser is closed -- not be collecting indefinitely -- unless of course there was a bug preventing them from being properly deleted). Does anyone know what data is stored in app_thumbnails?

xdavidn88

Mar 13, 2009
See, that's strange.

moveallcachesext2.sh only moves cache.

That could be why your internal memory keeps getting lower when you dl apps.

Henchman

Mar 22, 2007
Sherman oaks
www.markhensley.tv
moveallcachesext2.sh only moves cache.

That could be why your internal memory keeps getting lower when you dl apps.

No, actually. I moved the apps using a differnt script/command.
I didn't say it was getting lower using the Apps, I said it was getting lower using the browser.
Why oh Why did they make the G1 with such a pitifull small amount of internal RAM? :(

zako13

Jan 25, 2009
Northbrook
how do you clear the cache once it's on the ext2?

Don't mean to thread jack, but didn't want to start a separate thread on sth. that may have been already answered. I just couldn't find it anywhere(and I read the whole 57 page thread on moving the apps to the sd card by Lucid, and then some more threads)Anyway....
I have moved the apps and data using LucidREM's MOD and everything is working fine. My only concern is how to clear the cache once it's on the ext2 partition? I'm presuming that's where i moved it with the lucidREM's copy.sh data script.
And is there any way of knowing which application/cache goes where, or viewing the ext2 files, cause I as well see a decrease of my intrnl memory. Not sure if it's a cache or an app, or both.
Thanks in advance!
P.S. Just wanted to say BIG THANK YOU! to all the devs on xda. If it wasn't for you guys I would've already given up on my phone.

Nismo300zx

Jun 26, 2008
Florida
ok i was having this same problem up till today when i found stumbled onto a post over a androidcommunity.com. i dnt have the exact link ill post it up later but all u have to do is run the "moveallcachesext2.sh" in the terminal emulator again and also for this to work you can't clear the browser in manage apps or within the browser. It should stay around 3mb all the time. Okay so after u run the script again browse around a lil bit and see if it fixed the problem. And if not open terminal emulater and navigate to the data/data/com.android.browser cache and type ln -s /system/sd/cache/webviewCache webviewCache and then browse around and make sure your broswer stays round 3mb...remeber dnt clear cache or ull have to redo the link

rkstarnerd

Feb 2, 2009
I'm having the same problem. With cache and history cleared, the browser is eating up 27 MB. :( I really need help.

xdavidn88

Mar 13, 2009
if you did the moveallcachesfat32.sh, and you keep going to menu > applications > manage applications > browser > clear data (or something)

it will erase the symlink and therefore the browser caches to sd link will be erased and you would have to redo it.